[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im Joining the army for money Am i stupid? No college credit,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Im Joining the army for money

Am i stupid?

No college credit, just got a GED and some admin work history
>>
>>1007967
No if you plan on going to college.
>>
>>1007967

If they actually let you into the military with a GED you've already beaten the odds anyway.
>>
>>1007967
It really depends. It can get you free college. So in that sense, it might be worth it, as you can use that college education to make more money.

The money likely isn't that great. It's my understanding they get paid more when deployed. So there's that, but the base salary is shit. The good part is the government covers your housing, food, healthcare, etc. If you don't blow all your money on stupid shit you should come out ahead.
>>
Tell us your MOS and we'll tell you if you're stupid.

Also, if you get a degree while you're in, you can go from enlisted to officer without having to go to West Point. You'll go to a 6 or 8 week officer training camp. Idk what the army calls theirs, but the air national guard calls ours "Academy of Military Science".

Get in, try to get stationed somewhere nice overseas like Japan or Germany, get a degree while you're in, become an officer, maybe transition to the Guard after ten or so years, stay in until you can retire comfortably around age 50, then get a nice and easy job, and have two incomes.
>>
>>1007974
Huh? The majority of people that join the military just have a GED. You have to score a minimum number on the ASVAB but that's it. Really low requirements unless you are trying for a specific MOS. Even if you have a criminal record or have taken drugs you can get a voucher for it. They literally almost take anyone.
>>
>>1007976

Basically, all you have to do is bank your money and get out with an honorable discharge.

The pay is RELATIVELY bad, but the cost of living is low as long as you're fine with barracks living. Living off base or succumbing to the desire for BAH and getting a 'convenience marriage' ruins people's lives.

Living in the barracks can suck, but you'll get over it.
>>
>>1007980

No, that's not true!

Many branches of military service have a HARD LIMIT on how many GEDs they will take.
>>
>>1007980
I served for seven years and think I only met one person with just a GED.... Marine Corps though so higher standards then Army or Air Force...
>>
>>1007967
Nah. Serve your 4 years... go to college WHILE YOU'RE IN because it's completely free and DOES NOT cut into your GI Bill. You can have a bachelors degree in less than 3 years if you do not deploy and then get a masters when you get out with your GI BIll.
>>
>>1007984

I'm actually checking now and you're even more likely to be rejected with a GED than you were back in 2009.
>>
>>1007990
Yeah because it's becoming stricter. The military has downsized. Giving incentives to get out early, hell even just letting people out early that want to get out.
>>
>>1007981
DO NOT marry the first girl who comes your way just for the money. The money's good, but the girls who suddenly like you because you're in the army are the type who will have 3 kids in the course of 3 years and then divorce you, take the kids, and charge you a huge amount of child support.

If you're single, try keeping the fact that you're in the military a secret from prospective partners until after the second date.
>>
File: Untitled 1.jpg (318 KB, 1042x854) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 1.jpg
318 KB, 1042x854
>>1007967
>Im Joining the army for money
>Am i stupid?
Depends on what other options you have. It's impossible to tell from the information you have given.
Doing any job "just for the money" might not be a good idea, but luckily for you the (US) military provides many opportunities. My guess is you will earn even more experience related to group dynamics, leadership and management than you will earn money.

>>1007972
7/10 would bang. Also body will improve during basic training.
>>
>>1007997

If you aren't single, don't go into the military to begin with.

Women become backstabbers over that shit. And even men have been known to try to exploit women since they count as dependents for the sake of military pay.
>>
i've seen plenty of GI Bill students here at uni so it's pretty convenient if you can make sure to never get deployed or at least if you do, make it back all in one piece.
>>
File: 1450140599887.jpg (84 KB, 940x330) Image search: [Google]
1450140599887.jpg
84 KB, 940x330
Just got out of the army, 4 year contract.

>Pick a good job with skills that transfer
>dont get married, at all, money ain't that great and when you get out, your still married.
>you don't need a car, don't waste money, catch rides or taxi.
>find hobbys that don't include blowing your entire paycheck at the club trying to have sex with fat bitches.
> save every dime and invest in your future.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.