[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to look for in a degree? Engineering subjects and computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: kwikemart01.jpg (42 KB, 350x548) Image search: [Google]
kwikemart01.jpg
42 KB, 350x548
What to look for in a degree?

Engineering subjects and computer things have the highest starting salaries, but you all advice to do business and statistics and finance. So who's right????
>>
Well? What are good degrees? If I study a Bsc in Statistics and then do a masters in Computers and shit with Statistics is that better?
>>
stats is such a fucking meme. Do accounting. You NEED to know the language of business.
>>
Depends what you're good at. If you suck at something you will be stuck at entry level anyway.
>>
>>1004369
>>1004403

In general, unless you have a very specific plan for your degree that is based on your interests or aptitudes, the mere act of having a degree makes you more likely to earn your way into a job that might actually sponsor a small apartment.

If nothing else, even a 'worthless' degree can get you a Commission in the Armed Forces or into a business management program.
>>
>>1004415

But my interests are history and politics, and no way am I getting a degree in that. So what's some nice easy STEMy degrees I should be studying to get good jobs? Is pure Statistics good? Statistics with Computer Science? Software Engineering????
>>
Just finished BS in CS. What do? Masters? Certification? Literally no experience, 25.
>>
>>1004468
Where did you even get the idea that stats was good a good degree? It is worthless without a masters.
>>
>>1004485

Okay well what's a fucking good degree then! Everybody just says 'follow your heart lol' or 'lmao your idea is stupid' and doesn't suggest any good ones so what is a true patrician tier degree?
>>
>>1004369
Do EE, you can go anywhere, seriously.
>>
>>1004495
But why stats?
Want to know a secret? degree doesn't matter. Graduating matters a shit ton, but once you have your degree you can get a job and from there you have to find out how to make your own money. If you want to be a highly paid wage-slave go into CS, don't let the retards scare you and say the h1-b visas are coming and CS is saturated most people drop out of CS and h1-b visas are limited and are also used for other jobs, not just CS.

If you want to become an entrepreneur develop business sense. How do you develop business sense? I don't know, you just do. Undergrad business courses might help but many people learn it from experience.
>>
File: 1448652938079.jpg (10 KB, 252x244) Image search: [Google]
1448652938079.jpg
10 KB, 252x244
Op you haven't even told us what the fuck you are interested in. Do you want to get into business? Do you want to do engineering after school? Do you want to make the most money possible after college? Do you want the potential to make tons of money later in your career?
There is no "best degree" you faggot. Just a route that is probably best dependent on what you want to do after..
>>
>>1004536

>Do you want to make the most money possible after college?

Basically this, getting into business would be nice too. Or finance or wherever the big buxxx are.

>>1004529

Yeah, but what's some good, not too difficult degrees that I can do that give me good prospects to employers.

>>1004516

Already did it, failed. It's too damn hard.
>>
>>1004557
>Yeah, but what's some good, not too difficult degrees that I can do that give me good prospects to employers.
any fucking degree within reason.

If you want guaranteed employment become a plumber.

Realize nothing in life is guaranteed. If becoming rich was possible for the majority the majority would be rich. If you are studying stats you should realize it is statistically unlikely that you will be rich, if you were not born rich. No one is ever going to post in 5 years that advice from a Korean woodcutting image board made them a millionaire.

If you want big bucks and your one obsession in life is money do finance.
>>
>>1004563

Okay, how about Statistics and Finance?
>>
>>1004557
Either way. In order to make great money out of college through finance is to go to a top tier school and major in accounting or finance and get 3.8+ then sell your soul to wall Street or try to find a local private equity firm.
If you go the engineering route. Electrical engineering, computer engineering, software engineer engineering typically start out at 100k salary. The problem with this; is the growth after may be stagnate unless you are creative and business savy.

I just graduated from a top school in economics with 80k starting
My roommate went MIS and got 70k offered.
Other buddy went architectural engineering and was offered 65k
Other buddy went Electric Engineering had a great GPA and did a lot of internships got 107k starting.
Other buddy did aero engineering had a 4.0 and no internships and got 75k offered.

Investment banking, private equity and more financial fields will also have an incredibly high salary but the hours to earnings isn't the same as engineering might be..
>>
>>1004369
You're asking the wrong question dude. A degree is a credential for a career. You need to know the destination before you can map your journey.

>>1004495
Philosophy majors can become lawyers, and Math majors can become janitors.

Don't chase the money. Get GOOD.
The best advice for me was do what keeps you up at night.

>>1004369
Frankly it sounds like you're not ready for college at all. Take a year off and volunteer/intern/shadow in the top careers that look interesting to you.

90% of all careers are exactly the same, talking to people, sharing, and getting along with folks. 10% or less is technical. and most people don't do what they're trained in. You wouldn't believe the amount of arts majors auditors who don't know any part of a financial statement. But for most jobs there is a good enough job that needs to be done and anybody with basic training could do it. You see it every career, everyone hires you for the most rudimentary jobs and once or twice a decade a good project comes along that actually challenges your creativity and pushes the envelope.
>>
>>1004469
apply for jobs, do networking, build a resume on github.
>>
>>1004581

I've been on a 'year out' for 3 years mang. Anyway

>Do what keeps you awake at night

That's some good advice there, I'll give it some thought at night and see what I come up with.

>>1004574

I might go try Engineering again, some easier field than Electrical. Maybe Software Engineering... Or some combined Engineering with Management or some shit.
>>
>>1004586
>software engineering
>easy

kek just go be a civil engineer you stupid fuck
>>
>>1004603

Okay well what are some simple enough engineering things? Or good easy things to study with good career prospects?
>>
As much as that "follow your heart" stuff sounds bad, you are going to get rich from a degree that you burn yourself out trying to get because you are studying something you don't really like.
>>
>>1004581
What are some examples of the 10% of careers that are more technical in nature?
>>
>>1004606
>>What is easy and pays a lot
>>
>>1004606
>>1004617
Blow jobs
>>
>>1004586

Chemical engineering is where it's at bro. 105K starter salary here in Texas. Petroleum engineers *supposedly* get a higher salary but petroleum engineering is honestly just a tiny fraction of what a chemical engineer learns. You can easily learn to do their jobs.
>>
>>1004574
>Electrical engineering, computer engineering, software engineer engineering typically start out at 100k salary.
this is delusional
this is literally only possible for the best of the best in the most in demand silicon valley firms

man fuck this entire forum
>>
>>1004637
>lumping EE with those computer faggots

Nigger please. If you can get a job doing electromagnetics work you can get 100k starting minimum easy.
>>
>>1004369
Who /biotech/ here?
>>
What to study to get into business positions?
>>
>>1004637
I'm going off of personal experience with my friends who have those degrees. You sound mad, maybe you didn't achieve the same results because weren't a high achiever; who am I to speculate?
Buddy who was a Software engineer started 102k at a major car company.
Other friend was electric engineering started 105k at oil company.
Not sure I can come up with a reason why I would lie about anecdotes such as these.
>>
>>1004613
You read that wrong

100% of careers are 90% soft skills and 10% skill.

Engineering Ubermensch with world changing original ideas only accessible by extreme study and rigorous calculation who changes the world forever.
Still has to communicate his ideas to people in a way that makes them do what needs to be done, happily.
if not you're going to be a level II super genius advanced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si03x9apLFU
>>
>>1004369
If you're looking for easy money, I always recommend Pharmacy. Usually Pharmacy managers at any local Walmart make upwards of 100k a year. And Pharm is usually non-competitive, meaning you don't have to worry about having a certain GPA for entry. The catch is that you need to take a certificatation exam after school to get any job, and you probably need to work as a Pharm tech for a little while or something before a managerial job opens up
>>
>>1004641
boy you sure do sound like a freshman that's about to be seriously disappointed

go look up EMC Engineer salaries and see if you can find a single entry level position making that much. Of course you'll break six figures over the course of the career, but it takes years of experience.

>>1004657
>who am I to speculate?
nobody
you don't work in energy or in automotive, you're some neet giving shitty advice with your personal anecdotes instead of the actual statistics on what people are paid in the US, you're like an obese shitposter who goes on /fit/ and calls people DYEL because they can't bench their 150% body weight
>>
>>1004369
What college degrees are even worth getting now?

I hear a lot of companies hire, say, a skilled self learned programmer over an ok programmer who has a "comp sci" degree, so that to me says comp sci degrees aren't worth getting.

Any similar degrees where skill > degree as far as employment outlook is concerned?
>>
>>1004826
>And Pharm is usually non-competitive, meaning you don't have to worry about having a certain GPA for entry.
not sure if srs
>>
>>1005570
It's non competitive at my school, which means I won't have to compete with Mr. Lee who spent his entire life learning how to maximize his GPA. If a competitive major has a required GPA and historic GPA, you pretty much have to get at least the historic GPA to actually be a serious applicant barring unique cases aka Biomedical Engineering failures
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.