[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've been trying to get into this game for a bit now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: download (1).jpg (16 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
16 KB, 300x168
So I've been trying to get into this game for a bit now but everytime i start to play it i just have no clue what the fuck im doing or what to do, like im a complete fucking noob. So i was wondering for those that play it a lot does it just come naturally or should i be watching guides and stuff or youtubers, if so which ones?
>>
Yeah you get use to it after a little while. What exactly is hard for you? Is it the class or more just basic movement and all that?
>>
>>694232920
The movement is fine for me, its just im really used to linear simple mmo's where there are skills you level up and etc, but in this all i've been doing is running around and discovering shit. I have no idea what the best stuff is or what to do besides run around and do the quests that appear.
>>
>>694232920
Like i played runescape and then wow and both were really easy to figure out like oh hey just go hear do some raids or go here do some pvp oh here is a good way to grind max levels etc but guild wars im just seemingly lost wandering (mind you the wandering is fun)
>>
>>694233197
So there are these things called events that'll pop around on the map. They are more like mini-quests, and especially worth doing if its your first character. They give great experience if you contribute to them. "Quests" or the storyline are indicated by a green star.
>>
i bought this game when it first came out. paid full price and played it for less than a couple days.

is it worth getting into now?
>>
>>694233786
I bought the game too, it's free now though minus an expansion, i have literally never heard anything negative about the game except from fanboys of other games who refuse to give this game a shot
>>
Played this game start of this year when I got my new computer and sunk three months of my time into it. It's a cut above your average mmo but once you get up to date, you'll see massive gaps in new content which is why people have started leaving.
>>
just quit it game sucks, took everything that was good about the first one and removed it

cant believe i actually bought the collectors edition to this shit
>>
>>694233685
I know all that but im wondering should i be worrying about anything cause i want to do pvp later in life and if there are points im spending incorrectly or whatever is there a way to reprehend that?
>>
>>694234043
PvP is completely seperate to your PvE account. If you get into the PvP lobby with your, lets say, level 23 character, it'll put you right up to 80 with everything unlocked minus the new specializations if you don't have the expansion. WvW is a little different but there's no need to worry when it comes to allocating stats. Most of that comes from your gear anyway which is easily remidied.
>>
>>694234012
See the only hate i hear is from either A people who played original gw or B people who prefer the normal grindy boring as fuck typical mmo style and generally offer no real claims to backup why they dislike the game other then "its shit" "wows better" "too much pvp" they never construct their argument as to why the game is bad, which makes me almost always disregard the hate towards it vrs the claims of it being good are always backed up by reason
>>
>>694234279
So my second question to you is once i become a veteran like i was with wow what will i be spending most my time doing, cause in WoW it was grinding raids etc what does this game offer that i should put time into for if pvp im maxed in?
>>
>>694232680
Horrible fucking game.
Nothing special about the characters builds/stats.
The graphics are inconsistent, some areas look really nice, other areas look like they use textures for N64.
PvP balance is garbage
End game is garabage
WvW is a disaster

The sad thing is, it's probably the best MMO out right now, and it's just a pile of garbage. Wish they stuck to the same format like Guild Wars 1.
>>
>>694234639
Now this is something i can get behinde you're backing your claims which is nice, but being a noob to this game whats so bad with end game and WvW ? also if its the best mmo then what else do i do?
>>
GW >GW2.... still.
>>
>>694234043
You can't spend points incorrectly. When you unlock skills or the trait stuff it's not permanently bound, you'll get enough points to unlock everything eventually. Builds are separate in "The mists" or the PVP area stuff from the PVE stuff. The only parts you'll have to worry about in the future is build specific gear.
>>
>>694235282
The story was so much fucking better than gw2. If they made a better storyline... or if they add Cantha....
>>
>>694233114
You're not too far off. Arenanets idea of leveling up is exploring their world, can be a ton of fun in your first play through but it dries up pretty quick as there isn't much end game content
>>
>>694235393
its sad that this long after release gw2 still feels unfinished. it had so much potential but the lack of end game and the way theyve done the story just ruined it for me. got bored, moved on.

i put over 8k hours into gw1. god damn masterpiece in its price.
>>
>>694235393
Wishful thinking. I remember hearing a while ago that they had 0 plans to reintroduce the other continents and focus on Tyria. Really sucks cuz Tyria is only 1/3 of what they potentially have to offer.
>>
>>694236218
1/3 of the world that we already know of but really the potential is unlimited. theyre holding themselves back and churning out cash shop cosmetics.
>>
>>694236367
Exactly. They added a mask from the third raid wing and instead of making it a potential drop or something you could purchase with raid tokens, they put it in the gemstore to make that $$$
>>
>>694234924
for other options im a fan of The Secret World. not a massive player base anymore but the game is cheap, even more so if you catch it on steam sale. One of the best story driven mmo's ive ever played. Skill depth comparable to gw1. Challenging end game content (although at times so hard that build freedom kinda goes away in favor of what works best). Anybody with the game can send you a 72hr trial.
>>
>>694236367
With the direction they're going there is only so much they can do with episodic content, sure they can change the face of Tyria any number of times like they did with Scarlet but eventually, if not already, people are going to want a more expansive game.
>>
>>694236968
oh i absolutely agree. ive already reached that point and given up.
>>
>>694237055
Likewise. They can only tide people over for so long until their player base flags and then fails. Not actually sure how people still play without anything serious going on
>>
>>694237577
Community centered players who have found their online home. Tend to also spend a lot of cosmetics and have a ton of alts. And legendaries. Anet is simply trying to hold their whales as long as possible with the occasional gimmick like making base game f2p to try and draw in a little new blood.
>>
>>694232680
Even though it's vastly different from the first game it's the same in the aspect of what there is to do. You're first objective is to beat the game. (Obviously) This is triggered automatically by leveling up. After that you pretty much just title hunt or work on achievements in general to make yourself look better in game. You can focus on learning a crafting discipline which will allow you to craft higher level gear and items which you can use to make tons of money which in turn you will cycle back into weapons and achievements.

Essentially the purpose of the game after finishing the current story is to grind achievements and prove to everyone else that you have less of a life.
>>
>>694238932
Also, if you're interested in PvP there's always all that stuff too. This is coming from a 8 year veteran of the first game and putting a good amount of time into the second.
>>
>>694235282
>>694235393
The literal thing that killed Guild Wars 2 was getting rid of the skill system from Guild Wars. That was the single feature that made Guild Wars stand out from all other MMO's at it's peak. Somewhere along the way during development they just decided they would make their game the same as all the other trash out there and figured we'd all be okay with it.
>>
>>694234639
I'm still pissed they ruined WvW (aka the game) by not continually doing seasons.
>>
>>694239886
Pay to win is the way of the future bruh. You should have seen all the illegal gold sellers on the first game. They figured if we wanted to spend real money on a game they might as well be the ones taking it.
>>
>>694232680
pvp is fun tho
try it out
>very balanced
>much fun
>>
>>694240034
Major downfall for me is the pay to win. You can grind your ass off for something decent just for some wallet warrior to have the same weapon or item. Makes doing anything aside from the complete essentials seem pointless.
>>
File: 1455557811285.jpg (8 KB, 325x302) Image search: [Google]
1455557811285.jpg
8 KB, 325x302
>only GW2 thread in the last year on any board
>It's dead as fuck
>>
>>694240034
Ah shit I remember it as it was yesterday
####www.buygoldcheap.com//fast buy//fast delivery//best conversion ratio//5$-->100k or 15e//whisp me if interested####
Fucking ToB spammers.
>>
>>694241857
Got my first ever account hacked by some nigger doing that shit when I was like 14. Dude was offering to buy accounts plain as day in public chat and I jumped on that shit. Never got the account back. Anet was always tough about giving accounts back. Never knew why that was...
>>
lol how can anyone say this game is pay to win? What exactly can you do in gw2 with a lot of gold? NOTHING! You can look really cool, that is it. That is absolutely it...
>>
>>694242115
>you can look really cool

That's the sole purpose of anyone who plays these games. You do realize this right? Nobody plays for the scenery. They play so they can rub all the cool shit they have in the faces of others.
>>
>>694232680
Here are the basics, simply and easily explained.
>Guild Wars 2 is about exploration. Explore a lot. You will have story quests to guide you but they appear every 5 levels.
>Quests only stay if you are in their vicinity. There is no quest log, you have to discover quests.
>Depending on your class, different weapons will change your skills. Having a knife and a gun with a rogue will have a different skillset as a rogue with a gun and a gun.
>It's called Guild Wars, so as soon as you hit 25-30 look for a Guild that accepts lowr level players.
>Did I mention you have to explore? I've 100% the whole of the main continent exploration wise and it's gotten me a lot of exp. It also is fun to explore.
>The main goal you should have is 100 percenting your races starter area which isn't too hard. After that, try doing all of the other races starting areas as you can teleport tp them. The sylvians are the best to explore imo, the forest and castle are so beautiful, I have at least 70 screen shots of their area and the surrounding areas.
>I recommend taking screenshots and climbing mountains and doing hidden parkour challenges. Those are like 20% of the game and they are very fun.
Add me, my main's Trilaeni and I might reinstall the game for you <3
>>
>>694234001
same case here. played seriously for a few months, made my ascended set, a few characters, caught up to date with current content, and maxed out agony res...

fun game and loyal fan base, but is really mostly a grind. skill is merited properly
>>
>>694234001
Unfortunately this. I found myself skipping story sometimes until the next chapter was unlocked just to prevent it from ending too quickly. You can level up to 80 and finish the main game in 2 to 3 days with the right motivation. Blows the old games out of the water requiring 2 to 3 days just to hit the level 20 max. Figured with 80 levels it would be a sort of achievement to reach level 80 but nah.
>>
>>694234464
PvP, WvW (giant wars between servers), I heard Heart of Thorns is pretty cool, but I can't afford it. The PvP is always fun, and actually really balanced, but if you get tired of that you can always make a new character and play the storyline again because there are 3*3*3*9 storylines to play through with 3 ending each (I think)
Which is 729 endings. However the differece between many of the endings are very small so I'd say just 81 different endings. There is also the world story which is a storyline that is affected by the players choices. For instance, a seaside city was destroyed because players failed to defend it and it actually got changed from a giant city to mostly sunken ruins. It's realy fun to experience.
>>
>>694242261
>That's the sole purpose of anyone who plays these games. You do realize this right? Nobody plays for the scenery. They play so they can rub all the cool shit they have in the faces of others.

Then why does that bother anyone? It's just cosmetics in a game. I play this game religiously. The community in general is great to deal with, no one runs around saying they look better than another player, and I don't do it to anyone else.

But let's pretend people actually use their own real life money to purchase nice looking items.
It cost anywhere from $50-$150 for a legendary weapon. Some cosmetic items do look good from the gem store, usually $10-20, if you go that route.

In the end, these 'pay-to-win' players..who aren't winning, are spending $10-$170+ to say, 'haha, I look great and you look like shit, look at me!!!', which never happens.

If it has happened to someone, ignore it. Either they wasted their money, or that person has a lot of hours to play and grind for gold. In the end, it doesn't effect the 'ugly' player.
>>
>>694243198
>I heard Heart of Thorns is pretty cool, but I can't afford it

Same reason I don't own it.

"Hey guys lets make something 1/8th of the length of the game it's expanding on and charge the EXACT SAME PRICE FOR THAT SHIT! People will eat it up."
>>
>>694234639
PvP balance isn't bad you just don't know what weapons to use on what class.
>>
File: i95ga23.gif (310 KB, 600x447) Image search: [Google]
i95ga23.gif
310 KB, 600x447
God damn it I love(d) the gw franchise , why did it have to turn to shit, /b/?
Hardcored gw since chronicles, read all the insanely deep (and fucking useless) lore, farm-spammed ToAK before the nerf and HH before the outright removal (truly, RR days were the most coordinate feat I've ever seen a community accomplish), glitch-abused the golden gates for years, mourned over the loss of TA (but seriously fuck 4 RTL eles cheese), envied White Wasabi's disgusting Hall of Memories; did just about everything, got God Walking Among Mere Mortals on numerous characters, etc..?
But gw2? Damn. Started out so hopeful, lost a lot of hype when they announced weapon-based fixed skillsets (I used to spend hours theorycrafting and testing builds in RA), but nevertheless kept on hoping...
Then PvP came. The fucking "ele glorification mode". Then WsW came. Or better yet, no, it never really came. Anet just doesnt know what the fuck they're doing with it. And then HoT came. Fucking 45€ for a couple shitty maps -and gliders-. People are so caught up on cosmetics abuse (the game is rightfully called Fashion Wars 2) that they seem to ignore the gane is completely devoid of end game content.
AND THEN THEY GET RID OF DUNGEONS TOO, WTF?
Blizzard finds it difficilt to have the playerbase grind out older content; anet instead has a populous dungeon-grinding community, and what do they do? They fucking butcher it.
And dont get me started on fractals.
Tl;dr game startef out nice, went nowhere, then anet destroyed what was left. But hey, we have gliders now.
>>
>>694243283
You're assuming everyone is a broke ass fool. Spending $200 on a game for someone who solely plays games in their free time is no different that someone who plays golf going out and spending $200 on new clubs. It's a matter of what YOU want to spend your money on.

You're rarely going to find anyone pretentious enough to spam chat about his cool gear. But think about it, why would you buy a cool sword? So you can stare at it for hours? Hell no! You buy it so other people can be jealous low key while you swing that shit.
>>
>>694243381
A lot of mmos do that, so I'm not really mad. I'm just happy that GW2 is f2p now.
>>
>>694243938
It's just not worth it for me. I would be spending like $50 just to beat the story in a few hours. The added features are hardly worth that much money.
>>
>>694243865
White Wasabi still plays under a different name. We just did Triple Trouble the other day together with a group. He's a dude by the way.
>>
>>694244090
Guild Wars 2 is free to play now...
Unless your talking about HoT then yeah, fuck that shit.
>>
>>694244403
So I paid $40 for this shit on preorder and I don't get a dime back or any form of compensation now that they're just giving it away? Can't even hook a nigga up with HoT? Anet must be run solely by Jews.
>>
more violets, less violence
>>
File: 1441580022409s.jpg (2 KB, 81x125) Image search: [Google]
1441580022409s.jpg
2 KB, 81x125
>>694243691
>pvp balance isn't bad
>you just dont know that you're supposed to play exclusively D/D ele and faceroll the keyboard
>>
>>694244512
You get an outfit :):)
>>
>>694244927
>implying thats not every mmo
>>
>>694244320
Did I ever imply otherwise? I already knew.
>>
>>694244929
Not worth. Didn't RIFT do the exact same thing too? How can they get away with that shit legally lol...
>>
>>694244927
That's why it's so bad though. At least there was some option to which PvP build you ran in the original. Now you either run one of two builds or get smashed and bashed.
>>
>>694244997
So your point is that if pvp across all MMOs is bad, then none is? Because that's retarded. If not, my point still stands, that anon said gw2 pvp is balanced and that's utter bullshit.
>>
>>694245009
Just giving some insight if needed. He pretty much admit in teamspeak once that a good bulk of his early fortune came from gold farmers. You can even track his posts on their forums way back when if you care enough. I remember that useless drama fondly.
>>
>>694245130
I was being sarcasting, gw2 pvp is fucking horrible; none can say otherwise without trolling.
>>
>>694245349
The PvE is the same to me. I don't see how anyone can have fun grinding a character that has access to like 30 skills maximum. Most of which aren't even accessible until later in the game.
>>
>>694245338
Yeah I had supposed there must have been something sketchy about how filthy rich he was, I mean you dont own 2 kanaaxu minis without gold-buying.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.