[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /b/. Third time I've done this now Ask a Sound Engineer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: sound enginner.jpg (54 KB, 430x286) Image search: [Google]
sound enginner.jpg
54 KB, 430x286
Sup /b/. Third time I've done this now

Ask a Sound Engineer anything

Obviously not my pic
>>
>>689539048
Explain ohms in relation to mic cable length.
>>
>>689539390
The longer the cable the greater the ohmic resistance meaning you get a shitty signal and a hot wire. Is that really your test of my honesty?
>>
>>689539048
Should you compress bass pre master or wait till you master
>>
>>689539489
Depends. If it's a DI bass guitar I'd compress during mixing. If you're recording an amped bass it can depend on the sound you want
>>
OP needs to go shit/shower/shave real quick, keep it bumped until I get back. Maybe 15 minutes
>>
>>689539048
How do you mix a kick and a sub bassline without muddyness. Whilst maintaining a bassy kick
>>
>>689539048
How much money do you make p/year AFTER tax
>>
>>689539481
>hot wire

lol.
Not a sound engineer.
>>
>>689539048
What albums have you learned the most from just by listening?
>>
>>689539902
Slight side-chain
>>689539969
About £50k/y
>>689541185
Anything by Bowie or The Stone Roses
>>
>>689541491
Good advice thanks, How do you get a decent master without your track distorting.
>>
>>689542109
Run me through your mastering process
>>
>>689542194
Well i use fl studio, the plug in a use is called "Maximus". There are 3 sections
Low,mid, high, the standard stuff. Each section you can compress so you can get a level sound. In the end raise the overall sound, however i can get mine to a decent loadness whilst not distorting.
>>
>>689542695
Can't*
>>
>>689542695
Ugh, I fucking hate fl. I really don't know how to use it. All I can really say is you're probably over-compressing and reducing the dynamic range, so when you bring the whole track up, you're just getting a solid waveform of distorted shittiness. You need peaks and troughs in your waveform
>>
Can you tell me what a Sound Engineer does?

Also what headphones or speakers do you use?
>>
>>689543199
I record live instruments, mix and master the audio tracks, produce electronic music when needed and release tracks as complete mixdowns.

For what? Personal use, for work, at the studio, at home?
>>
File: download (11).jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (11).jpg
9 KB, 259x194
Sweet. How the fuck do u edit music. Showtime of wave pad and some audacity I'm a tard. I wanna do remixes mostly and make hard techno beats. Help a nigga out? Nb4 spend billions on equipment. I wanna start under a grand and on my pc. Any advice?
>>
>>689543602
>How the fuck do u edit music. Showtime of wave pad and some audacity I'm a tard.

Anybody fluent in nigger want to translate this to english for me?
>>
>>689539481
Lol, how does wireless play in here tho? Not a test just curious. Can u throw like an fml signal a mile or 2 without it sounding like shit or is that frowned upon?
>>
>>689543758
Nigga what? Type in coherent sentences or get the fuck out
>>
>>689543472
I'll simplify it to only headphones. Which are your favorite pair of headphones? And how come you use different pairs at home and at work?
>>
I've noticed a lot of electronic dance music these days lacks 'quality'. There are too many bedroom DJ's who do not seem to understand how to use their software correctly. Even some hit tracks are overloaded with unbalanced middling EQ (especially EDM) or bloated bass. Most are distorted piles of excrement. Do you still do good business considering everyone is their own producer (or think they are) these days?
>>
Sony mdr
>>
>>689543745
Lol, sorry.
>short of wave pad and a little use with audacity.
>youtube tuts are shit
> looking for advise to get started
>fucking niggers showed up at work
>>
Op, I'm a 10 year hobbyist and have been using studio one for years. Any general advice before I open my doors for money?
>>
>>689542109

Not OP here but I can give you an answer. First of all don't mix and master on FL studio you pleb.

Anyway, if you want to avoid distortion when mastering you must first use a limiter and set it to a value around -0.1/-0.3db. Then add a bit of compression (2db) and boost the song volume with a soft clipping plugin until it reaches -0.1 DB (or until it's loud enough but don't go beyong 0.0db). If you really want your song to be loud use a brickwall limiter instead of a normal limiter (and fuck you if you're into that loudness war bullshit).
>>
Dre Beat Pros at work, skullcandy at home.
>>
who's the worst band/artist you've ever worked with?
>>
>>689541491
Ah good advice thanks, i have another question. What are some important things to know when EQing in general?
>>
>>689543963
I have bose in ears for my phone, I don't actually know the model because they were a gift. I have a pair of ATH-M30x's at home and my studio uses Sennheiser HD28 pros

I have different pairs because it's not my studio, I work there

>>689544124
I mainly record and mix bands, the EDM side of things is more of a side-gig to keep our skills current

>>689544186
Get a cheap old version of cubase, or pirate it and a shit load of plug ins, and just go ham until it works. Literally. Get prologue, retrologue, and any HALion plugins you can and just suck at it until you don't

>>689544320
Advice on? You're thinking of running your own studio? Or releasing your tracks?
>>
what is your favorite genre to record?
>>
>>689544386
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>689544341
Great advice thanks, I'd prefer quality over loudness. But however my sounds are really quite compared to alot of average tracks comparable to mine
>>
Another sound engineer reporting in.
>>
>>689544505
Do you just want artists you've heard of? Because the worst divas are always the unknown fucks who think daddy's money can make them superstars
>>689544601
Less is more. Unless you;re going for some specific, noticeable effect, you have to keep EQ subtle. Also, different instruments get different qualities of their sound from different frequency ranges. Find out which frequencies correspond to which qualities and use that to get the exact sound you want. Ans don't be afraid to use EQ to completely drop out a frequency that's causing your problems

>>689544818
Most kinds of metal, then probably solo artists on acoustic
>>
I have this song stuck in my head. I goes like:

do du do - do - do - do-duuuuu

What song is it?
>>
>>689543882
U suck my dick faggot!
>>
>>689544794
Running my own studio, I have plenty of experience recording for free, mostly for local acts and friends bands, however I have built somewhat of a rapport in the area and my dream is to operate my own studio.
>>
File: atchaaa.gif (2 MB, 257x210) Image search: [Google]
atchaaa.gif
2 MB, 257x210
>>689544996
>But however my sounds are really quite compared to alot of average tracks comparable to mine
>>
>>689545327
The Romantics - What I Like About You
>>
>>689545327
"Party in the USA" Mikey Cyrus
>>
Hello fellow sound engineers, how would you guys microphone a medieval bagpipe in a live environment? It has to be wireless, so the musician is able to move around freely.
>>
>>689545388
Just start charging the people you know and see where it goes from there. I don't run my own studio so I don't really know the ins and outs of the business side of things
>>
File: tumblr_nl666iiuiC1r7u166o1_500.gif (867 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nl666iiuiC1r7u166o1_500.gif
867 KB, 500x500
>>689545533
Dubs wins this one.
>>
>>689545327
https://youtu.be/u3IAybZOt-E?t=60
>>
>>689545603
Take a 57 and ram it up his arse. It'll muffle the screechy dying sounds just enough for clear sound.
>>
>>689545327
Darude - Sandstorm
>>
is your PIN number One-Two, One-Two?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.