[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any /b/tards here who practise a combat sport? I'm out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 7
File: Boxing-Gloves.jpg (17 KB, 548x332) Image search: [Google]
Boxing-Gloves.jpg
17 KB, 548x332
Any /b/tards here who practise a combat sport?

I'm out of shape and want to get started on some combat sport, maybe boxing or muay thai. Any tips for a complete beginner? Is it better if I get fit first through weight training or just go for it?

Also, if you compete please tell us how long it took between when you first started training and your first fight/tournament.
>>
>>689419096
Krav maga. Used to do competitive bjj, only took a few months before started competing. Did pretty shit to start with but ended up winning a few fights. Krav is much more practical and street oriented as opposed to jitz which will see you stomped into the ground by your opponent's friends in a normal street situation
>>
>>689419096
Im doing muay thai and it is though.
Muay thai is way better than simple boxing, you do the boxing plus the kicking kneeing elbowing.
>>
Boxing and muay thai are both great. Highly recommend either for fitness and self defence
>>
>>689419486
krav maga is 90% ball kick hit
>>
>>689419486
How are krav maga competitions? Like you said, it's a very practical fight so what rules are there to follow?

>>689419609
do you compete yet?
>>
>>689419096
if ur looking to defend yourself and look good while doing it go for muay thai if u want to go to tournaments i recommend boxing
>>
14 years TKD
> tkd
2 years mma
A bit of judo and bjj
Currently doing daido-juku (basically japanese mma with a traditional vibe and slightly different ruleset. No dancing though)

Got kanto qualifiers for japanese championship in September.
>>
>>689419486
> falling for the krabby magoo meme
Good goy
>>
>>689419964
are you ethnic japanese?
>>
>>689419815
Lol yeah pretty much
>>
>>689419880
Krav doesn't compete. It's strictly self defensive, no comps.
>>
I'm a boxer. Boxing isn't as great as, say, BJJ or even karate for street fights, but hey, a good punch or two is usually all it takes... good workout and fun.
>>
>>689420046
I have no doubt I'd take you down, mate.
>>
>>689420210
Nope. Ausfag living in tokyo.
>>
Had my first MMA fight in march, my opponent got DQ'd after a kick to my balls. Could post the video if anyone interested
>>
>>689420513
That's the problem. You think thst because you train with no resistance.
>>
>>689420363
Mate, i have done bjj for years and if rather have boxing to fall back in for a street fighting situation. Don't underestimate your skill
>>
Wanna learn to defend yourself on the street?
Best bet is to find an MMA gym and learn bits of everything so you can comfortably box, kick, and wrestle. The best "pure" martial art for self defense is definitely Muay Thai. It's focused on basically beating the shit out of people with your elbows.
>5 years karate/MMA experience
>>
>>689419096

Boxer here, in all honesty you probably don't need much more in day to day life.

Most people will throw fists to begin with anyway.
>>
>>689420530
Is it true they dont like when a foreigner compete against them in martial arts there? In competitions do you ever notice they try to go extra hard on you?
>>
>>689420857
This
>>
What do you think of Wing Tsun?
Any good in possible real life combat/ Self-defense ?
>>
>>689420912
Not that anon, but in my experience training in Asia yeah they do. I've trained in Thailand and Japan and both places they put you with their hardest coaches/trainers and spar way harder with you than they do with each other
>>
>>689419964
Yes, great to see another person who does tkd, I'm on 11 years
>>
Practiced muay thai for a while, not up to competition level though. Great to get in shape for sure. For self defence, just take up running. It's better than any martial art... Unless you just want to get in drunk fights, of course. Then muay thai still, i suppose. Or MMA or whatever.
>>
>>689421152
I assumed you trained muay thai over there? How was the experience?
>>
>>689420803
Want to learn to defend yourself on the street? Here are the objective best styles
> don't live in a shithole fu
> don't be a cunt jutsu
> parkour
> boxing/muay thai + bjj / judo / wrestling

In that order
>>
>>689421013
In all honesty? Not really. It was good back when you either knew kung fu or knew nothing, but it doesn't stack up to alot of other styles. Though most pure martial arts are like that, e.g. taekwon do, jiu jitsu, most karate styles, and most kung fu styles.
>>
>>689420912
Not in my experience. Dudes I train with are bro as fuck. Most people I've met through it are genuinely happy that people from overseas are interested in the style.
>>
>>689421013
CMA is the laughing stock of the martial arts world. With the only exceptions being sanda and that folk wrestling style.
>>
>>689421312
Yeah muay Thai in Thailand. I've been over a few times. If you already know some level of martial arts and have good fitness the experience is great. They drill you hard as fuck in fitness training and then in sparring, but it's great to be pushed out of your comfort zone. I really loved it.
>>
>>689421207
Start savate, full contact karate or muay thai. You'll be a lot better off.

t. 4th dan TKDfag
>>
>>689421852
Did you get to compete there, and were you training with or without pads?
>>
stfu gary
>>
>>689420636
Kek post video pls
>>
>>689421994
Are there a lot of transferable skills to savate? Or would it basically be starting fresh?
>>
>>689422612
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSIoHp97kSg
>>
>>689423189

Was that the first round of the fight?

If so, you guys looked like shit.
>>
>>689423023
Most of the kicks go straight across. Savate is probably the only other style with extensive use of side kicks. You'll have to get used to defending low kicks and chasse basse (sp), basically a thigh stomp.

Also, you have shit hands so expect to be tagged a lot for a while
>>
>>689423809
3rd
>>
>>689419096
>>689419096
>Is it better if I get fit first through weight training or just go for it?
You only get as much out of class as you can get out of your body.
Just jog and do bodyweight exercises for a month, and then go to the gym, so you're not too tired to get the best bang out of your buck.
You're going to get little out of class if you're too tired to continue after warm ups. You can't even go as often if you're not in better shape. You pay for 5 days a week, but that doesn't mean you have to make it to every single class.
And if you do go every day, you develop delayed onset muscle soreness, which is just stupid, don't over work your body.

Muay Thai is more well rounded than Boxing.
Boxers only win against Boxers. Muay Thai practitioners beat Boxers in Karate fights, Kickboxing fights, Muay Thai fights, and MMA fighters.

When I was a little kid, I was in Karate and Taekwondo. I later learned Boxing when I got older. In my teen years I did Boxing, Kickboxing, and MMA.

I only started competing when I was 18 because of how much I moved around.

I've had 5 amateur Boxing fights, I lost 3, won 2. One win by KO, the other win by decision.

I've competed in 11 amateur Kickboxing fights, and I include Karate in this category.
I won a good amount.

I haven't competed in MMA, but I train with and fight against competitors.
I'm 22 years old now, and train MMA.
>>
>>689423809
It's his first amateur fight. Did you expect prime Anderson silva?
>>
>>689419880
no and i dont plan to
>>
I've taken karate classes for 7 now and I love it. It gives me all I need: I stay in shape, it is fun, selfcontrol, speed, strenght, balance etc. I really love it and it doesn't take long to start competing. I highly suggest to choose karate. The best part is the foot kicks. ;)
>>
>>689423920
so between all those styles you trained, which one you felt there was more animosity/rivalry between athletes?
>>
>>689424024

Their form was just god awful. The fact that it was the third round makes sense.

Great job getting in there dude. It takes serious balls to get into a cage against someone you know is there to kick your head off.
>>
>>689424185
Yeah I was tiread as fuck tbh. And thanks, I've competed in BJJ before but this was my first time in MMA. That guy I fought against is known for being a cunt, guess everyone was right.
>>
>>689423853
For some reason my club train a lot on hands with boxing techniques but I've been told basically everybody else just does mainly legs...
>>
>>689424384
I'd need to see the rest of the fight before calling him a cunt. Groin shots are usually accidental.

However, it was pretty fucking clear he hit you in the cup and he still needed the ref to wave him off. That's a little fucked.
>>
>>689424500
Your hands are still shit m8. You've just been training with people who have even shittier hands.
>>
>>689424769
brb uploading the rest
>>
Karate is awesome btw. I like that it includes hands and legs, you have to use both and that trains your brain.
>>
>>689425183
Full contact karate is cool. Shitokan et al is pyjama tag and air punching
>>
>>689425183
I used to train but stopped in college, fucking miss it
>>
File: Nathan.jpg (22 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
Nathan.jpg
22 KB, 500x282
>>689419096
there are some krav maga places near me that look somewhat interesting, but i don't like touching people any more than i like being touched.

what can you recommend i can learn by watching on television without touching someone or going outside?
>>
>>689424769
>>689425022
heres round 1, round 2 incoming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MijLI4L0eIY
>>
>>689425592
I've been training sinve I was 12. Have had thoughts about quitting but just can't do it, love it too much.
>>
>>689425834
Literally nothing. If you can't train with a resisting opponent you're wasting your time.
>>
>>689419096
wrassling so you could rub bodies woth sweaty men
>>
>>689425842
round 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r8CLUZkS0A
>>
>>689422026
I didn't "compete" but I did do a lot of fight rounds with one of the camps prime fighters, so that was pretty close. I also did a lot of pad rounds but I do them at home so it wasn't anything new.
>>
>>689426087
Wwe or Olympic?
>>
>>689425592
Actually the first 3 years I trained classical karate. It was a really good start for competitons. In the next place I was the best with positions and movements.
>>
>>689426328
>I also did a lot of pad rounds but I do them at home so it wasn't anything new.
I mean if you were wearing shin/head protection in sparring
>>
>>689426480
I did most of the rounds with shin pads on, but I had a few with nothing but gloves, cup, and a mouth guard. Good fun
>>
>>689426748
That takes some balls especially with all the elbows and knees in that sport
>>
>>689419096
>kung fu, wing chun, 14 years
while I was 19 I also did some boxing for 3 years together with wing chun to get some mass and power and would go to the gym.
on top of all that since I was 17 I have been on a controlled diet
>i am now 196cm, keeping myself at 91kg and 9% body fat
>in these 14 years i collected a bunch of small medals, i think theres like 80 or more of them i don't even know to be honest and i also have 4x big trophies 2x 2nd place 1x first place and 1x third place.

while i was very young i tried football, basketball, baseball, hockey, swimming, tennis, karate, i tried fucking almost everything i was allowed to but only kung fu out of all fighting styles really got to me... especially the way you train and how much you learn about human body and mind.

so idk try everything like i did and see what you like, that's honestly what i did and I'm glad that i did that...
>>
>>689426197
>>689425842

I'm assuming you spent more time grappling than striking?
>>
>>689426079
fuck! i did tae kwon do as a kid and it was cool. i absolutely hated the gay "combatives" bullshit i had to endure in the army. fucking nonsense. goddamn collar holds and "alright get on your knees and face each other". i need a hobby though and i think krav maga could be useful.
>>
>>689426907
>i am now 196cm, keeping myself at 91kg and 9% body fat
fuck you must be shredded
>>
>>689426923
Yea bjj is still my main thing
>>
>>689426923

In training I mean
>>
>>689419096

any gym worth a shit will put you through the ringer for the first 6 months to get your ass in shape. If you are serious about getting into the ring to compete, stamina will be priority 1.

I had no idea how long 3 minutes could feel until I started boxing.
>>
>>689426874
Look I won't lie it was pretty intimidating the first few rounds, but I had an enormous size and range advantage which worked in my favour so it didn't end up being too bad. I did cop a lot of knees to the body and a few elbows to the head, but it was nothing I hadnt felt before so it wasn't a big deal.
>>
>>689426984
Krabby magoo is literally military combatives but replace bored infantry with hambeasts who think everyone is trying to rape them, soccer moms and skinny-fat fedoras who think they're 2dedly.
>>
>>689427139

I can tell.

Southpaw too, you were excited and went hard at first, which led to you losing steam in the third.
>>
>>689427349
I never understood why people would go for body strikes when they can aim for the head
>>
>Lol
>I was sparring with a friend of mine infront of a bar
> /b/ called the police
> 2 hot officers came to us
> whats going on here?
> me and my friend are like, nothing, nothing is goin on
> officers now look mad and repeat their question
> friend starts explaining
> I am a boxer and my friend here also knows martial arts so we are just sparring
> officers wright down our names and tell us to spar somewhere else, then leave
> best night ever
(Firts contact with police officers)
>>
>>689427497
boxer here.

A well placed gut shot will fuck your day right up.

it'll slow you down and make it harder to breathe
>>
>>689427353
yeah, i've heard all that negative shit before. there's two places near me that seem legit though. they aren't focused on ham planets and soccer moms. i want to do something that's useful but i don't want to train 4 days a week for competitions. i need something casual.
>>
>>689427437
I guess I was too nervous and wanted to end that asap, those rounds seemed like an eternity
>>
>>689427497
Because the head is far easier to defend, a decent liver shot will net you a tko and getting your gut pounded tires you out which then opens up your head as your hands start dropping.
>>
>>689427628
Are you supposed to aim right in the stomach or liver?
>>
>>689427497
Everyone thinks that at the start but trust me you learn why. Being smashed in the body takes the wind out of you, and just drains energy because you have to keep tightening all your core muscles to brace for the hit. Also body shots set up good head shots, because people often drop their guard when defending them. That being said, I still mainly aim for the head when I spar, but that's because I'm a tall fucker so getting body shots is impractical.
>>
>>689427865
but if you have strong abs you can take those strikes, no?
>>
>>689427904
Kidney is also a great spot to hit
>>
>>689423189
can someone make a webm where a football flies in and hits him in the nuts instead?
>>
>>689428019
You can but not for long.
>>
>>689427762

Try to focus on controlling pace. At amateur level one of the biggest advantages is knowing when to go hard and when not to.

Work on your hands a bit, really focus on clean shots as opposed to heavy ones.
>>
If you're just out to get exercise, have fun, and meet people, I'll always recommend medieval combat and battlegames. HEMA is quite serious and formalized. SCA heavy combat is more fun, team-oriented, less historical, and almost always followed by drinking. Then there are full-contact boffer games like Dagorhir and Belegarth, which are like SCA but cheaper to get into and usually a sightly younger crowd. These will not directly make you good at kicking ass in a realistic scenario, but they do at least develop generic combat-related skills; like reading an opponent, reacting quickly, watching multiple enemies, taking advantage of your allies' actions, and body mechanics. Every system I've listed is roleplay-optional or roleplay-free.

But if learning to kick ass in a realistic scenario is the driving force in this situation, then you'll want to take suggestions from some of the other people in the thread.
>>
>>689428169
Fair enough, everyone has a breaking point
>>
>>689428283
thanks fam will keep those in mind
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 720x960
I have done high school/collegiate wrestling, MMA, jiu jitsu, and Muay Thai the one that's best for conditioning by far is wrestling. But to excel truly you need to put on some muscle. And if you wrestle before all else it makes every other form of fighting very easy and uses skills you already have such as flexibility for high kicks and submission as well as speed.
>>
>>689427721
>i want to do something that's useful
That discounts krab then.
Boxing/muay thai/ bjj / judo / wrestling

No one's forcing you to compete m8.
>>
Any of you guys who train ever been outnumbered in a fight?
>>
>>689427904

Yes.

Ribs, solar plexus, anything that's open is a target.
>>
>>689428548
What division in college? I heard roids are rampant in wrestling is that true?
>>
>>689427904
Solar plexus, kidney, liver, it's all good.

Go watch bas rutten + liver shot or kyokushin knee knock outs on youtube.
>>
>>689428700
I don't get in fights because I'm not a nigger
>>
>>689421378
Why parkour?
>>
>>689428700
Worst situation I was ever in was 3 vs 1. It doesn't matter how good you are, you're going to get hit when it's that many guys. It's absolute chaos my friend.
>>
>>689425871
>>
>>689428954
Because running is almost always smarter than fighting
>>
>>689428961
wow wtf happened? story?
also, which one are you itt?
>>
What would you guys suggest to tall 19yo with an average body and no experience in fighting etc?
I've always been attracted to asian marcial arts but I never started one of them.
>>
>>689419096
I did Taekwondo for about 9-10 years when I was younger. I was always short and lanky, but it helped me get in shape pretty well. I would recommend getting your form down correctly, no matter what you choose, so that you'll be reliant on skill, not strength. Then, once you are good at your sport of choice, you can add in some cross training, and get stronger.
I started competing after about two years of training. I won kata competitions (doing a certain pattern of moves correctly and impressively) pretty much immediately. I didn't win sparring until about another year after that.
Biggest piece of advice is to do steady training, three times a week if you can. Don't expect immediate results, and make sure you enjoy doing it.
>>
>>689429110
Karate
>>
File: 1465502756130.jpg (7 KB, 251x190) Image search: [Google]
1465502756130.jpg
7 KB, 251x190
>>689420912
>extra hard on you
>>
>>689429110
Boxing / muay thai + bjj / judo / wrestling
>>
File: 1371476756136s.jpg (15 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1371476756136s.jpg
15 KB, 249x249
>>689429110
to a tall*
>>
>>689419096
Hit niggers in the parking lot with your car and speed away. Aluminum foil on license plate. Do it way out in the parking lot so the surveillance cameras see almost nothing. Rinse. Repeat. Usually they can't even ID the car.
For city fun.
Good times.
>>
>>689429157
> kata
Wow its fucking nothing
Also
> kata
> tkd
>>
>>689429577
Ayy lmao
>>
>>689420363
Also do the boxing thing. In most barfight situations a jab-cross combo is usually more than enough.

I mostly do it for exercise, though. Golden gloves a lifetime ago. Only just got back into it.

(and I wouldn't even know how to approach the MMA dudes.)
>>
>>689429106
Haha I was the one, they were the three. I don't really know why, but when I left a bar to drive home these three guys pretty much trapped me against a wall and started squaring up. I ended up knocking one of them down straight up just by sucker punching him, then just lashed out with knees and elbows at any thing that came near. Ended up "winning" the fight by pulling one of them into a standing rear naked choke and using him as a shield, then kicking him into his buddies and bolting off in the confusion. Still ended up pretty bad, 2 black eyes and a lot of bruisinf around my head.
>>
>>689426907
fuck anon
>196cm 91kg and 9% body fat
now that is fucking nice
whats your diet like?
and do you go by day or by nutrients?
>>
>>689429056
Parkour isn't practical at all. You don't need any classes to know how to run.
>>
>>689429954
You were lucky to escape. Any reason at all why they came after you? Sounds like a planned attack like they knew you or singled you out in the bar.
Were you drunk? Good thing you had no broken bones
>>
>>689429954
Yeah dude the main thing in barfight/brawl settings is staying on your feet. All that ground n' pound shit just leaves the back of your dome exposed to the nigger's friends.
>>
>>689430235
>jumping over obstacles in an urban environment isn't practical
Are you thinking of free running? Parkour is literally going from A to B as efficiently as possible. Free running is flippy shit.
>>
>>689427904
the best 2 spots to easily disable your opponent, like really fuckign disable is plexus or liver... he wont be able to breathe or move really
>>
>>689430671
where exactly is the plexus? different people say different locations, is it right above the stomach?
>>
>>689419096

I do American Kenpo Karate, Systema, TKD but practice a little BJJ on the side and some boxing.

Amazingly the American Kenpo standalone was good enough for me to fight plenty of competitive MT and MMA fighters and do extremely well for myself (haven't lost yet). The underlying principles mattered more than the practicality techniques themselves. If a position comes up from a technique I'm quick to use it but otherwise a well read fighter who understands how things work in depth is adaptable to a lot of situations. While this has worked for me even on the ground in grappling I wouldn't advise it for most people since I was very natural at fighting and genetically just strong and fast before the training. For the average guy I'd say go to an MMA gym and maybe throw in a standalone boxing class in it later on to improve your striking. Plus you'll toughen up from getting hit. In my classes I got my ass kicked during practice to learn to take a shot.

I'm a big fan of:

BJJ

Boxing

MMA in the sport sense (kind of a watered down catch all fusion of these)

American Kenpo (but again: Only if you care to deeply understand combat and can carry over textbook info to a fight through extra practice. Otherwise it wastes a lot of time)

Pretty standard answer but these arts.. mainly the top 3 on my list are to the point, quicker to generally pick up and are immediately effective in the ring. I'm more of a street fighter/ self defense with weapons sort of guy who fights competitive fighters for fun but if you want to compete just go to a good MMA gym and start there. DON'T fight as soon as you can. Fuck up your record. Take the time to get better before you jump in the ring. Too many guys throw themselves in competition early without getting good enough or take money too soon and ruin their records.
>>
Did karate and Jiu-Jitsu for 5 years. French boxing too, but it doesn't count.
Recently I had a fight in the streets... well now I think boxing and/or MMA is the best in any case for defending yourself, unless you have 10 years to waste to become a martial art expert.
>>
I practice man-hunting. I chase down nude niggers on my secluded ranch in Africa. I wear a stealth military bionics suit and use only a knife
>>
>>689430839
>Recently I had a fight in the streets..
story?
>>
I train pankration/eclectics. One of the only schools that can hand out pankration belts. I love it and it's brutal.
>>
>>689419096
Can honestly say Muay Thai is fucking intense, if you care about getting in shape i seriously couldn't recommend a better combat sport (I have done Martial arts since i was 4 years old inlc kickboxing, boxing,karate, jiu jitsu and muay thai) muay thai being my favourite by far, but once you're over 18 competing is a different story to competing when you are under 18, before 18 you wear head guards and aren't supposed to elbow/punch to the face after 18 you can get smashed with elbows to the face and some of the most horrible leg kicks going
>>
I do shotokan karate. Basically the most popular form and you'll find it almost everywhere. It's a good workout as well
>>
>>689430787
An inch or two below the end of the breast bone. Push up toward your head. It'll hurt a bit.
>>
>>689430444
I honestly don't know why. I assume it was probably a mugging or something, or they thought I'd hit on their gf or some dumb shit like that. I wasn't drunk or anything, i figure because I was alone they thought I'd be an easy target. I wasn't going to stick around and ask them.

>>689430472
Yeah you're not wrong, like 1v1 getting to the ground can work, against multiple opponents that's just shit.
>>
>>689428700

yes, when I got jumped in broad daylight in Dorchester.

Only advice is to try not to get jumped.
>>
No matter how high you can kick, you can't get rid of 2 people wielding a gun.

Martial arts are pointless. It's not 300 B.C anymore.
>>
>>689431105
> I do pyjama tag
No one cares, dancing queen
>>
I posted:

>>689430819

But seriously. Those leg kicks fucking SUCK. Big ass bruises up and down your legs, don't want to walk after getting your shit hammered. Those guys are royal cunts with those roundhouse kicks.

Fear the faggot who practiced a kick 1000 times. Not the guy who does 1000 kicks once. Those MT fighters really teach you that shit. Their punches are unimpressive IMO but those kicks actually do scare the shit out of me in a fight.
>>
>>689431358
how did that go? never knew dorchester was violent
>>
>>689431287
The point of grappling in self-defense is to stay off the ground so you can escape. Of course you're going to get your head stomped if you try fucking spider guard faggotry and you'd deserve it.
>>
>>689431389
you havent lost so far so they cant be that bad lol
>>
>>689430607
What urban spaces are you talking about? If you're trying to get away, your best bet is just running away.
>>
>>689431171
Not competed in a while as my college studies became important (BRITfag) but i was north west/British champion, North west for 1 year when i was around 13/14 and british for around 6 months, this was only because when you're under age even if you keep winning you have a cap and must gice the belt up to let others have a chance (bullshit i know) but my main focus wa on grading (in Britain the ropes you see around the arm here are used as grading systems)and i was at the highest rank i could be age 16 and had to wait until i turned 18 to become an instructor which i am currently working towards
>>
I took American kenpo for 3 years, it's bullshit like krav maga, taking win chun now which is better than not training at all. Hard to hit a wing chun man, but like I said earlier, pankration is where it's at or bjj, but pankration is super fast paced and is effective after a short time training. It will build cardiovascular better than anything else.
>>
>>689431755
dubs
>>
>>689419096
Did boxing and krav maga, exclusively for the fitness. I don't particularly care for actually competing or going out to fight crime, but it's great fucking workout. There's something about the boxing coach shouting down on you to hold that fucking plank or he'll rip my spine out that's refreshing and motivating.

Stopped 2 years ago and turned fat soon after. Go figure. Keep exercising, kids, because once you hit a certain age and don't do any exercise, you'll look like the fucking marshmallowman in no time ..
>>
>>689431020
fucking hell you must be in top shape, compete often?
>>
>>689431690
Correct. The issue is that an urban environment isn't a flat plain. Which is more efficient: running around an obstacle or going over it?
>>
>>689431877
>Hard to hit a wing chun man,
Not really.
>>
>>689431273
>Push up toward your head. It'll hurt a bit.
yeah i cant even imagine what it feels to get a strong hit there, you people have serious balls to compete in these
>>
>>689431640

They are. OP is gonna have a miserable time with them. Doesn't mean I don't get hurt.
>>
>>689426907
>14 years
>kung fu
>196cm 91kg
wtf are you like fucking buff bruce lee?
did you ever get in to a street fight?
also where are you from?
>>
Doing Muay Thai a little under a year, maybe 2 classes a week and practicing on bag. Hard at the start but love it, had 1 fight so far, it was a draw, I could pull someone's arm out of the socket or dislocate a knee with little haste. You learn alsorts of evil shit =) But would only do it on a complete bullying arsehole. Absolutely love it. Very addictive!
>>
Is there a way of gaining resistance to pain? How do you guys prepare for that?
>>
>>689431287
Are you white and were they black? Also did they only punch you in the face?
>>
>>689432605
Get hit.
>>
>>689431755 Was me
>>689432551
this is very true Muay Thai like i said is a very dark sport, just watch competitive and you will see, one of the most dangerous striking combat sports if not the most dangerous, called the art of 8 limbs for a reason
>>
>>689431503

not good but could have been worse. They stole my friends jacket and wanted mine. It was my football jacket and I was dumb and stubborn. Got my nose broken. I literally did a 360 when I got hit and when I refocused the group of dudes scattered like cock roaches.

I've been in socal for a long time now. This was back in the 90's when Dotty was the same as roxbury. Is roxbury still a hell hole?

Ps: It was an everett/malden football game on a Sunday afternoon.
>>
File: 1463694902091.gif (339 KB, 370x330) Image search: [Google]
1463694902091.gif
339 KB, 370x330
Used to do karate as a kid, won a shitload of competitions. Useless for real combat though. Still decent way to lose weight.
>>
>>689432605
Idk you just learn to deal with it. Its oart of combat sports so you just slowly acclimatise to it. When you first start everyone takes it easy on you, so you only get hit every now and then. As you get better, people go harder and you get hit more. I go for my black belt in a few months and these days I do full contact sparring rounds and don't really notice it. When I'm hurt I just repeat to myself that pride lasts longer than pain, and push through. The soreness will last a few days, but the satisfaction lasts ages.
>>
Hey karatefags. You need to state style. "Karate" is about as meaningless as "kung fu"
>>
Purple Belt in BJJ here. Its an awesome art if you have a legit instructor, its comical how easily you can destroy someone who doesnt have any bjj knowledge even as an experienced white belt.

Karate is a joke unless its traditional Shotokan or Kyokushin and full contact with a legit instructor.

Boxing is great but without any ground fighting knowledge can get you in trouble

Muay Thai is incredibly good at learning multiple methods of attack, a bit of grappling and overall one of the best striking arts.

Krav maga, aikido, systema and those flavor of the month arts are almost always a joke.

BTW, Getting in shape before doing a martial art is an excuse to do neither.
>>
>>689432605

grit and toughness just come with hardwork. Everything hurts less when you voluntarily push yourself to the limit.
>>
>>689433309
do you compete in no gi?
>>
>>689433309
Since you're purple belt you have a lot of experience. is it true refs don't give a fuck in some tournaments? Apparently ibjjf are the only true safe ones where rules are respected
>>
>>689432709
I am white. They were white. And they pretty much exclusively targeted the head. My head looked like a bruised plum the next day but everywhere else was in surprisingly good nick.
>>
>>689433758
You probably look like a chad that's why they went for you
>>
File: Y SO MAD.jpg (97 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
Y SO MAD.jpg
97 KB, 400x399
>>689430960
well it was late at night, around 22PM. I was drinking, around a bonfire in a city, slightly drunk, when I see one girl kicking another one, that I knew a few. So I tell her to stop kicking her, proud I was to say that I did karate. She tells me my friend stole her phone so I decide to not continue, suddenly one guy begins to push me and hit me with his head, the fucker. He wasn't concerned at all (never understood why he did this), so he keeps pushing me : I throw a little punch, surely not enough to KO him ; he begins to punch me MMA-style like hell, he's taller, heavier and said he practiced MMA... So I do not hesitate, kick him in the chest and run as his friends came around. He runs behind me, I stop and he keeps punching, so I lower myself and try to make him fall by percuss him, but no he was more technical than me so I hurt myself instead. Finally I get up and run and he doesn't chase me.
Got out of this with one shiner, and both my knees hurt since 3 weeks. Think I'm gonna go see a doctor
So if you have to hit someone, do it good, fast, certain and don't hesitate. Next year I'm going back with boxing

topkek partynight forsure
>>
>>689433263
2nd dan in shotokan. Stop doing it because I was too young to get 3rd. Might pick up muay thai now though, seems interesting.
>>
Naga is good for anyone to compete in.
>>
>>689434090
I loled
>>
>>689434090
Nicely done my friend. As I always say, hit em as hard as you can then leg it.
>>
>>689433445

I dont train no gi, but i competed once when i was a white belt. Won my first match by points (9-0), and broke a kids arm in the second match with an Americana. Third match was a sandbagging college wrestler. I pulled guard and he slammed me 3 times trying to break my guard and I yelled at the ref "what the fuck dude hes slamming me" he didnt get dq'ed like he should have and hurt my back, so I had to stop.

>>689433654

NAGA refs are better than IBJJF, the test is harder and the requirements are too. My good friend is a brown belt, he failed the NAGA ref test but aced the test for IBJJF.

Asking whether refs give a shit is too broad a question, some local tournament refs are garbage but I work the score tables for NAGA's and the refs I work with have been legit. They take it very seriously and the only time they dont award points is if someone is getting destroyed, dq's for illegal moves like heel hooks or reaps before brown belt are strictly enforced.
>>
>>689435215
Is it true some bjj schools hate each other? You ever had trouble in that sense?
>>
>>689432220
>I train wing chun for 6 years now
>2 years ago my si-fu and a boxing instructor that rented us his hall to train in, organized a tournament
>only older veterans got to compete
>fights lasted around 8-9min
>keep in mind those stupid fucks that train boxing are buff and huge as fuck
>our guys were like sticks compared to them
>they had 15 of our guys listed vs 15 of theirs
>lasted 3 days in total so I don't remember the first day really well
>our guys took only a handful of hits per fight
>one chink dude that doesnt train with us anymore knocked out this huge white dude in first 5seconds
>will never forget how he fell on the floor, almost broke his neck
>we won
not all kung fu styles are the same, wing chun is all about avoiding hits and striking at the same time, if you ever seen a man who knows his wing chun and has over 10 years of experience you would know what I am talking about
>>
>>689419096
Combat sport is an oxymoron. Not trying to be a dick, but that's just bullshit marketing. (I teach martial arts, too, so I'm not an outsider to the discussion here).
>>
I don't fight but I can defeat anyone in an argument
>>
>>689436397
what do you mean?
>>
>>689420363
Boxing is far superior to BJJ for a street fight. Only an idiot is going to go down and clinch and roll around on the ground in a street fight as all the asshole's friends kick your head in and stomp you. Don't short sell yourself.
>>
>>689436445
No you can't
>>
>>689436677
which one will give you a nicer body?
>>
>>689435614

Im sure there is some actual hate between certain individuals and may be full fledged school to school hate in places like Brazil, but for the most part the common art makes friendships but team rivalries...

My instructor is a 2nd degree under Royce, but we went to Lucas Lepri's grand opening who is a competing school. I sometimes train at a friends gym who is a Renzo black belt, met him at the schools grand opening and he was cool as fuck... I use a modified Ezekiel choke he showed called the plastic bag all the time. I also have a good friend who is a brown under Roberto Traven, another friend who is a black belt under Gordo.
>>
>>689419096
I used to train muay thai almost daily.

If you go every day for 2 weeks to a pad training class, you will see SIGNIFICANT loss of weight. I'm talking serious visual loss around your fat ass gut.

It's easily the best thing you can do, if you can commit. That or some sort of kickboxing equivalent. You'll build confidence too. Worth it.

No need to be in shape. But you may puke trying to get there. Bring water.
>>
>>689419096
i beat my dick up every night
>>
>>689436800
Boxers tend to be leaner. Most grapplers have a stockier build
>>
>>689436677

Only morons who dont know shit about bjj think that everything is done on the ground. There are numerous armlocks, wristlocks and chokes that all work standing and thats not even branching into the Gracie self defense curriculum which brings weapons and striking into the mix.
>>
>>689437373
so if i wanted the lean look with a 6 pack boxing would be my best option?
>>
>>689436800

Boxing.

>>689436677

BJJ in a street fight? I would never. If they have a weapon you kill your mobility. Enables the other guy to capitalize on that shit and fuck you up and it's harder to see the weapon or deal with it. Faggy friends will stomp your head in too.

Terrible idea. The whole 90 percent of street fights go to the ground is BULLSHIT.

Police who try to detain which makes the odds of a takedown or ground fighting higher get 60 percent of suspects try to take them down and only 30 percent of their conflicts were on the ground in their logs. That's people who make the odds higher. If you get down to it the odds of a fight ending on the ground if you're trying to kill or not detain is likely to be far less than 20 percent and then you need to ask how long you're on the floor for. If you try to get up it's likely a second or two. BJJ schools lie about this to sell their system and people stupidly believe it.
>>
>>689437506
Boxing definitely
>>
>>689437506

If you just want a lean look and a 6 pack, do varied situps and crunches and go run.
>>
>>689437670

That's not to say a wrist lock or throw can't be done but a solid strike is a quicker way to end a fight and takes less commitment to back away from with multiple attackers.
>>
Whats the best way to escape a full nelson if you're outnumbered?
>>
>>689437862
Shit your pants and try to kick it out of the ankles of your jeans at the other guys trying to fight you.
>>
>>689437862

Your legs can move. Kick, headbuttbehind you etc.

A good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l9opQUVWvo

You can kick knees, scrape shins, scoop kick the groin etc. After you do ANYTHING to loosen the grip you're free to branch off into whatever's needed.
>>
>>689433309
I thot aikido was god tier defensive art?
Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.