[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK, so a man who believes there is a magic man in the sky who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (115 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
115 KB, 1920x1080
OK, so a man who believes there is a magic man in the sky who controls everything goes into a nightclub because he saw two men kissing and kills 50 people because the magic man told him to.

Yet, despite believing the above, he is not considered mentally ill, why? Because other people believe in other magic men in the sky who tells them to do other things.

Let me ask you all this: How the fuck is it that religion isn't considered a form of mental illness when it so clearly is. Even his own father and ex wife say he was fucking mental. Why don't we treat religion like we do mental illness?

Pic unrelated, but it got your attention, didn't it?
>>
File: earth-globe-browse.jpg (157 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
earth-globe-browse.jpg
157 KB, 800x800
>>689329886

Because it's the norm to believe in space wizards. Most of the world's population thinks space wizards are real, so they use that as the baseline. People who don't believe in space wizards are the ones with a mental illness.
>>
>>689330889
/thread
>>
All children aren't even born religious. It's the result of the influence of their parents, which is pretty sad.
>>
>>689330889
Fag please. Go to a bar and get shot
>>
File: officeanim01.gif (465 KB, 175x175) Image search: [Google]
officeanim01.gif
465 KB, 175x175
>>689331528

What, are you saying it isn't the norm for people to believe in space wizards? 'Cause...that's not even really a thing to dispute. The vast majority of the world's population is religious.
>>
>>689329886
Pretty sure this man is to be considered mentally ill, albeit not specifically for the fact that he believes in a magical sky-daddy. That in itself is usually the result of conditioning rather than a mental illness. However if you think someone is talking to you and telling you to go on a killing spree, that I think would be attributable to a mental illness, regardless of who the person believes this voice belongs to.

Remember kids, when you talk to god, it's religion. When god talks back, it's schizophrenia.

>>689331315
This is clearly half-bullshit too. Nobody is born religious, sure. But if it was only through influence of their parents, no religion would ever start either.
>>
>>689331827
>The vast majority of the world's population is religious.
The vast majority acts like they're religious. But your point stands.
>>
>>689331827
>>689332355
I'd like to make a footnote here. This number is significantly lower in developed western countries than it is on average. I haven't checked for every country of course, but I have checked for the netherlands (since that's where i happen to live) and the fraction of people that consider themselves to be either atheistic or agnostic is about 50-60%.

Now I'm not saying a developed society needs to discard religion, but it'd often help a lot of the 'because god dunnit' argument isn't taken so seriously.
>>
>>689331920
Yeah, sorry made a mistake there.
Added with those who actually believe, then.

But I'm just trying to point out that's it sad for children who "become religious" due to their parents.
>>
>>689333069
Fair enough, and point well made. For something that isn't an accepted religion, this sort of practice would be considered to border on child abuse.
>>
>>689329886
i don't know what that image is but i want to put my penis in it.
>>
>>689329886

Maybe he was just damn tired of this new Special Snowflake, You-Have-To-Tolerate-Me, culture America is becoming. I don't support his ultimate actions, but I can certainly see how , especially during Pride month, you can just get so damn sick and tired of people trying to shove their agendas down your throats and demanding you accept them. Which, could be a mental illness in and of itself. And if you are a religious individual, who actually follows the rules of your faith, it must just grate on you, day after day, being told you need to accept the way this world is, because you HAVE to tolerate everyone, and you have to embrace their desire to be happy, and you have to respect them and their point of view, until finally you snap. I understand that very well. In fact, it is probably going to get worse before it gets better.
>>
>>689329886
Take it up with the APA.

I think religion is technically not a mental illness because it's simply irrational indoctrination.

Are people mentally ill if they believe they have a reasonable chance to win the lottery?
>>
>>689334864
>you have to embrace their desire to be happy, and you have to respect them and their point of view

I'm sorry for this incredible burden you have to bear.

Fuckwad.
>>
>>689335056

I'm not saying it's right, or fair, or justified. I'm saying that's how people see it. And religious people have it even worse. I simply don't care one way or the other, but it's funny watching one minority kill other minorities and see who supports whom. This is literally a clashing of "Our Muslim Brothers and Sisters" and "Our Gay friends" I'm waiting for a bunch of gays to get together and bomb a mosque
>>
>>689329886

You can't have it both ways. The liberals wanted Muslims to be accepted, well they come with a religion that is strict as hell. They wanted LGBTQ to have their Pride Month, and they have parades flaunting their disobedience to Muslim laws. Did nobody see shit like this coming?
>>
>>689334910
You bring up a valid point. Being wrong doesn't make you mentaly ill, it makes you wrong. And honestly, it's very easy to be wrong about the origin of the world when you are taught that some vague magic man that can do anything decided to make the universe. The fact that God I'd described so vaguely doesn't help, since you can't disprove him like you can Zeus, for instance, who allegedly lived on a specific mountain top and impregnated human women as a bird.
>>
let's get some hundred or thousand years back

some one tells your that nothing never was nothing. it's is just so incredible tiny, even you make everything a billion times bigger it would be very hard to see.

and then this nothing began to explode, it was so hot and it expanded so quickly, that no one could comprehend it.

and then another guy comes around.

he tells you that there is a man like us up in the sky, the only difference is that he is much wiser, in fact he knows everything and all of his abilities are superlatives. and he created earth as man

which story would you choose to believe?

religion gives answers to questions that couldn't be answered. people don't like to accept the fact that they know shit.
>>
File: ALLOVERTHEPLACE.jpg (19 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
ALLOVERTHEPLACE.jpg
19 KB, 450x450
>>689329886

It isn't mental illness. This is all God's plan to get us to appreciate the work He put into making lightbulbs. We all use the regular white, soft white, flourescent bulbs, but He labored hard helping people invent a way to get His rainbow into tiny glass bulbs, and since we don't appreciate them the way He intended, He needs to influence the gay community to make us use them everywhere. Last time it was gay marriage, but since He is the symbol of balance, this time around, it was a gay massacre.
>>
>>689335417
I don't see a group of openly gay men being that bigoted. Either way, if they did it'd probably be a glitter bomb, and it'd be FABULOUS!
>>
>>689336293
The difference is that one story comes with physical evidence and the ability to craft pretty much everything you see around you. If we'd have stuck with the "because God" argument, you probably wouldn't have lived long enough to form an opinion on the matter, and you definitely wouldn't be voicing it over a global communication network of interconnected machines.
>>
>>689336293
>>689336588

Side note: It wasn't "nothing" and it didn't "explode". The best understanding of this moment in time is a singularity underwent rapid expansion.

And yes, this point in history is poorly understood right now since we don't have a unified field theory. (The laws we know of for the forces we know of merge together at this time.) But that's far from saying we don't know shit. We know a lot about what happened less than a nanosecond after this event started. And we know that what we know is right because it makes predictions about what observable evidence such an event should leave. Which we have observed. (This is why the discovery and mapping of the cosmic microwave background radiation was such a big deal.)
>>
>>689336311

What is a Pride Parade but a blatant condemnation of anything and anyone that doesn't include them? "We're here, we're queer, deal with it" might not be bigotry in the exact sense of the word, but it is being deliberately offensive to people who don't share their point of view. And to the religious person, whose religion doesn't agree with homosexuality, it's a middle finger
>>
>>689336588

no it doesn't

show me the proof for the big bang, your physical evidence for the big bang. oh there isn't any?

people like you are hurting science. you just make something up, insinst on it's truth and when people finally see through your bullshit a lot of them blame science, and not the illiterate idiot who you are.

so just shut up with your shit if you don't know shit
>>
>>689329886

Allah isn't a man, and Allah isn't magic. Stop oversimplifying things and take off the fedora.
>>
>>689329886
both his father and ex wife said he wasn't religious
>>
>>689337093

i wrote that "nothing never was nothing"
and yes it was an explosion.

the definition of explosion is just a very rapid expansion in volume. it doesn't have to be on a michael bay movie to be an explosion.
>>
>>689337120
please read >>689337093 and stfu. You can look at all the evidence yourself if you like. That's the neat thing about science. It's documented and repeatable.
>>
>>689337273

>implying religion is the art of oversimplification

here i have some clay, let's create humans

are you stupid or legally retarded?
>>
>>689329886
he just wanted to be loved by the magic man in the sky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxc20saM8DA
>>
>>689337496

>implying i don't have a master in physics and you do

there is no fucking proof. you illiterate faggot.
>>
>>689329886
>but it got your attention
Yes and i think its relate

I believe in god as a mathematical suite that is everywhere and in everything built. Not a wizard who tell you what to do
>>
File: IMG_8196.jpg (18 KB, 192x154) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8196.jpg
18 KB, 192x154
>>689337514

>not an argument
>personal attack

oh /b/ atheists. never fail to embarrass themselves
>>
>>689337585
So what is the significance of the cosmic microwave background then?
>>
>>689337585
And yes, I seriously doubt you have a master in physics, or any other scientific discipline for that matter.
>>
>>689337728

a very strong indication that the theory is true.

it's like a weapon with fingerprints on it. those fingerprints don't prove murder, it's just a strong suggestion.
>>
>>689337793

so what? still you are wrong and i'm right. good enough for me.
>>
>>689337900
In your analogy, the comic microwave background would be more like finding the bloody, bullet riddled corpse.
No, it is not direct evidence, but indirect evidence is also evidence. This is why it's called indirect EVIDENCE.
>>
>>689338069
And your earlier suggestion that someone telling you a scientific theory with decades of research and observable evidence behind it should be treated with equal weight as someone telling you a story with nothing to back it up, is good enough for me.
>>
>>689338096

when you go back to the post where the discussion started you will see that i stated that there is no PHYSICAL evidence.

i never claimed that the theory is bullshit or anything. i just claimed that it's bullshit that there is physical evidence.

because there fucking isn't
>>
>>689338322
So microwave radiation that permeates the whole universe isn't physical?
>>
>>689338295

>implying i did that at any point

my original post was about the "creation" of god, and why people believe in that creation.

they wanted answers for questions they couldn't answer

and then i added a little description of quantum fluctuation to make a point of high unlikely it must have been for anyone to hear some hundreds years ago.

either you are trolling, and you are doing it fine, or you really lack some reading comprehension skills.
>>
>>689338617
That certainly seemed to be the implication of our post yes. That "God dunnit" was the more sensible option. If this wasn't your intention, it wasn't very clear.
Also your description of quantum fluctuation doesn't seem to have much to do with quantum fluctuation. As far as I know it's a reasonably accepted idea that the big bang may have started from a quantum fluctuation, but then roughly describing the big bang is a long way from a description of quantum fluctuation itself.
>>
>>689338521

i will end this now. because obviously you don't fucking get it.

protip: physics isn't the proof why the universe is how it is. it is just the most likely assumption based on observation and replication.

the saying "i know that i know nothing" still stands true in the field of physics.

i get it that most outsiders don't really understand that, and it's not my first discussion on this topic.

but let me tell you this: reading a book and watching a youtube documentary doesn't mean you are an expert on this field.

especially when it come to quantum theory, where you have a wide variation of opionions how to interpret the maths behind it.

but if it makes you happy, just believe that we have figured it all out. but be aware that this makes you religios, because you have a strong believe. nothing else.
>>
>>689339128
I never said anything was proven, I said there is (indirect) evidence.
And I certainly never claimed to have anything 'all figured out'.

However, I will concede I misunderstood the meaning of your post. Also yes, physics and quantum mechanics are a hobby for me, as are some other branches of science. (My masters is in high performance distrusted computing.) And I'm arguing outside my field of expertise.
>>
>>689336297
Fuck that. I use daylight LED bulbs.
>>
>>689337111
Maybe their religion is a middle finger to everyone else.
>>
>>689337632
You obviously don't believe in grammar, which makes you an idiot. Not a person with good ideas about what God might be.
>>
File: freud-in-30s-audio-and-video.jpg (1 MB, 2957x2153) Image search: [Google]
freud-in-30s-audio-and-video.jpg
1 MB, 2957x2153
>>689329886
Freud considered religion to be a massive mental illness, so people turned to Jung because he was crazy like themselves.
>>
>>689340506
You are also an idiot to believe that everyone know how to write your native langage
>>
>>689340197

Of course it is. It's supposed to be. It's a special club that you are a part of that is exclusionary. I'm merely remarking on the asinine notion that a fundamental religion could coexist with a liberal gay movement. I believe both of these are religions in their own right, just different ideologies. God notwithstanding, is anyone really shocked that this happened? It was bound to eventually.
>>
>>689340614
And virtually everything Freud believed would later come do be discredited.
>>
>>689329886
Religion is for nutters - there's no other explanation. Just avoid the mad people.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.