[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To continue off a /pol/ thread that got deleted. Software contractor/consultant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8
File: imgres.jpg (14 KB, 348x145) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
14 KB, 348x145
To continue off a /pol/ thread that got deleted.

Software contractor/consultant here.

Was making about $55,000/year just a year ago as an employee.
Now making well over 6 figures as a consultant/contractor.

Any good programmers or people of thinking of getting into the field, AMA.
>>
how you get into consulting? what kind of stuff you need on CV to get hired with no experience? Side projects good enough? Im in montreal btw
>>
>>688409576
This.

How exactly did u get into consulting?
>>
>>688409576
It's important to have a portfolio of projects.
Especially if you don't have much experience.

I got into consulting by telling an employer that I'd work for them on a contractual basis.
Then I started having people recommend me for contracts.

Am currently working on 5 contract jobs.
>>
>>688408946

I am in International Business, how can I profit from this ?
>>
>>688410515
do u have employees?
>>
>>688410515
How'd you start with creating your portfolio?
>>
>>688408946
Currently learning python starting college this year as a computer engineer. Just got Fedora Linux and am currently learning about terminal and setting up my own VPN.
>>
>AMA

Do you miss Reddit much?
>>
>>688410832
Having a skill-set that includes programming will benefit anyone in business.
If only just to allow you to talk jargon with your developers and understand what they are talking about.

>>688411045
Just hired my first employee a month ago as the work load got to crazy.
>>
>>688408946
what languages do you recommend learning, atm i have: html, css, javascript, racket, i plan to do java for the summer
>>
>>688410515

>Then I started having people recommend me for contracts.

How did you go about doing this?
>>
>>688411191
you just make shit nigga
>>
I'm 18 and can barely do Javascript. Starting college in a few months. What am I in for?
>>
>>688411690
learning, hopefully
>>
>>688411690
get ready to suck your way to the top
>>
God objects vs ravioli.
>>
>>688411810
I prefer node.js
>>
Game design.

c# is the hit shit.

Any reason to learn c++ to get good pay?
>>
>>688408946

What's the best tip you have for a software engineer who regularly develops new things but fails at getting the products (and himself) out there?
>>
>>688411979
c++ is unbeatable if performance and AAA is the target.
>>
>>688411794
>>688411800
Thanks bois, I have been enlightened
>>
>>688412140
you use github ya? If not you should, build a porfolio, link that shit on your linkedin and make sure people know you make shit regularly
>>
>>688411191
It happened naturally in my case.
I have always enjoyed making random projects (a lot of game stuff).

In my last interview, I told them that I didn't study any of the jobs posted requirements as I was working on a multiplayer mobile game. After looking at the game and source code (I walked through it with them), they gave me the job immediately.

My suggestion, figure out what interests you (in terms of development).
Then build something cool in that field.

>>688411269
Nice.

>>688411377
Miss it? I browse both sites when I'm bored.

>>688411436
Depends.
C#, Java, Python, HTML/CSS/Javascript and PHP are what I've been using in my 5 current contracts.

Learn to program well. Learn to learn them quick. Learn to adapt.

This is far more important that putting your eggs in one basket.

>>688411627
By doing very good work. Also, don't turn down opportunities. Also, talk with people about side projects and attempt to get involved.

Probably the most important - have good social skills.

>>688411687
This guys gets it.
>>
>>688411690
Anything.

Make sure that you are in love with the core of it all.

Problem solving and creating logical constructs.

Then you will be great.

>>688411979
Probably. Find the contract first. If people want to pay you lots to build something in C++.

You learn C++.

I'm doing some game dev in Unity (C#). Probably my favorite language atm.

>>688412140
You need to give me more info.
Tell me more about your process and about the field of development.
>>
>>688408946
Ive got a ?: y pol
>>
>>688412956
Random programming thread broke out.
Bunch of people were asking me questions, but the thread got deleted.
>>
>>688412912
ayy also a Unity dev for a professor at my school for the summer (C#). I have to say, even tho the game sucks, creating it has been so much fun so far. Thinking about learning cryengine v for a side project
>>
>>688408946
How hard is it to learn that shit?
How hard is it to do?
>>
File: unity.png (3 KB, 275x184) Image search: [Google]
unity.png
3 KB, 275x184
>>688413741
Do it.
Very soon companies will be head hunting for Unity/RealEngine/CryEngine developers.

Almost no one has this experience, and it will be in HIGH demand.
>>
>>688408946
How hard is it to learn? To do?
>>
What is the best way to learn C++? I have an internship coming up that relies on it heavily, and I don't want to go in there knowing nothing.
>>
>>688414030
Which shit?
>>
>>688414105
How hard is 'what' exactly?
>>
>>688414203
Like, coding, and computer language
>>
>>688414186
Build stuff in C++. Just develop, develop, develop.
>>
>>688414086
thank you for the advice, it is the push I need. My original intention to learn cryengine was due to their no royalty policy. That's a pretty big deal to me. Also the engine is beautiful
>>
6 years of arcane coding right down to the steel and magnets.
I am the grand wizard of the modern era, except I'm really lazy and have a life so I don't get to code as much, but anyway

Should I keep doing my thing or join some company and write Java applications?
>>
>>688414186
c++ is massive, and if you don't have some background or strong understanding of concepts, it can be very intimidating.
I will assume you don't know much, focus on: pointers, dynamic memory, inheritance, polymorphism, unit testing (I hate this shit but apparently its important), and general OOP principles. remember: SIMPLICITY and STRUCTURE
>>
>>688414381
I'm making an arcade game at the moment.
Very little progress, but I've built a prototype in about 600 lines of code in one file in C.
>>
>>688414281
I think you need to have at least a bit above average intelligence.
To be really good, you need to be smart.

This is obvious because of the following.

Coding is logical expression.
People like what they are good at.
Smart people are good at logic, thus are far more likely to be good at coding and to enjoy it.
Coding/Development is competitive.

However, more importantly, you need to like it, be curious and have good social skills (work well with others).
Really. You need to just try it to answer your question.
>>
>>688414850
good advice
>>
>>688412912

>>688412140 (You) here

Basically I'll make anything I need. It's what computers were meant to do in the first place. At the moment my expertise lies with php, MySQL, Linux, Javascript, css and html (basic webdevelopment, front and backend). I can learn any language fairly quickly.

Some examples of what I do:
I've made intelligent software that links speech to text when I used to do voice over work and it'd handle big chunks of post-production.
I've made a php framework that runs various websites. I've made an all-in-one task managing system, also in php.
I recently wrote a GIMP extension to make a collage of all the layers, scaled down only when needed to keep maximum clarity in low res pics.
Currently I'm doing electrical engineering in that I'm making a plant watering system. Didn't know shit about it 2 weeks ago and I'm almost done.
I've made some games in my teen years but nothing published (just for my own amusement).
>>
>>688408946
I want to go to school to learn this shit but idk what classes i should take. I dont want to waste money on classes that arent necessary. Got advice anon?
>>
>>688414850

I know some retarded-as-shit programmers though. They just learn how to code but not to come up with algorithms of their own. It's the difference between a code monkey and a software engineer/developer.

Almost anyone can program compared to the number of people who can actually develop software.
>>
>>688414375
Yeah true. All the engines are going to be good if you make any real money off them.
Don't let that sway your decision, its just peanuts.

>>688414381
>>688414833
I would suggest doing both.
Look for work, but as a part time contractor. Don't accept it till you find something that works with your schedule.
Then work your projects on the side.

>>688414807
Good advice.
However, read about programming only as much as you actual do programming.
>>
>>688414850
well I got a 4.0 after finals so I guess I'll take a crack at it
>thanks for the advice, man
>>
>>688415284
Not OP here, but you can learn programming for free online. Both in text and video format. That's how I learned it about 16 years ago (I was 12 at the time) when resources were sparse compared to nowadays.
>>
>>688415495
I didn't go online in skype at 12 in the morning.
They told me "Thank you for sending in your CV", I was like "fuck outta here" and deleted the contact.

Also, my university is a jewmachine, how do I get a degree fast so I can get hired anywhere?

how do I live?
>>
How much would you charge to take up updating a code base that was going on a decade old, thousands of lines of spaghetti code with shoddy inline docs and no other docs, written in a language you've never touched, with dozens of classes per file (both the interfaces and the implementation), each file with dozens of includes, and the first thing you had to do was update the graphics interface to go from opengl1 to opengl4 and directx9 to directx11?

Ballpark that shit for me, if you can.
>>
App Dev is over saturated. I have 12 years exp and make 31k. It's not worth anyone's time. There's no room for growth unless you want to switch to HR/Admin as a manager.
>>
>>688411269
>>688411690
>>688414030

To anyone just starting out with coding, my golden tip that I wish I had when I started is:

COMMENT ON YOUR CODE!

Comments on code that you expect no one but yourself to see are like messages to your future self in case you ever leave a piece lying around you want/need to finish.

Even if you plan on finishing something and see the whole thing through, it may become so big that if something old needs to change you still need to know what the code is/does before you do it.
>>
>>688416515
This is actually a really good idea. There's obviously such a thing as OVER-commenting, but a little explanatory blurb here and there never hurt.
>>
Here's a question for you:
Why are dev girls so qt?
>>
>>688416820
I've seen one dev girl in 5 years and she was a fat slob
>>
>>688415126
Sounds like you are a smart person. But it sounds like you love being comfortable.
I feel this way because that's how I've recently noticed about myself.

The problem is, you are only as strong as your weak points.
Mine was marketting and business.
So, over the last 15 months I've strived to learn these practices, and largely put my development on hold.

If you have something great, you need to learn how to sell it. How to get it in front of people.

So, I would suggest halting your development, or at least dialing it down.

Focus on selling your work. Focus on selling yourself.

>>688415284
School is good. Self teaching is far better.
A portfolio of self projects will be more impressive than a diploma.

>>688415453
Agreed. Knowledge (copy pasting) =/= intelligence (creation, problem solving)

Let's not jerk ourselves off too hard tho.

>>688415539
Noice. You need to really enjoy building logical systems. Or else you'll get burnt out.

>>688415632
Good advice.
>>
>>688408946
Hey OP. Best way to learn C++? Or any language I guess.
>>
>>688417005
Learn spanish, you'll likely find a better paying job
>>
>>688408946
Bryan?
>>
>>688417096
Kek. Not after we build that wall amiright
>>
File: one-punch-man.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
one-punch-man.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
PHP and Front End Web Dev here. Went from minimum wage to full time developer after 9 months of programming in my spare time. General AMA and down for this thread.

I've told all my minimum wage friends to get into it. They all agree, but are just too damn busy watching Netflix to give a damn.
>>
>>688416999
Trips of truth.

Thanks for the marketing advice, I've noticed this is indeed my weakness. I'm almost done with a webpage that could earn me quite a bit of moolah if it goes viral so marketing that would def help.

I'm also the guy who talked smack about code monkeys, but it's for good reason. Where I graduated, programming II was the highest tier programming course they had. It was in mother fucking Visual Basic. Final task? Make a sudoku solver using backtracking. How students did it? They found code online, copy pasted it and removed bits to see what stopped working and for the life of me, they couldn't figure it out.

Ever since then, I despise those god damn code monkeys who think their papers mean anything without having programming as a hobby.
>>
>>688417474
you're the scourge of the software development world. you should fuck off.
>>
>>688417717
why?
>>
>>688416999

Another good tip: Make sure programming is your hobby or at least something you really really like doing.

And another one: if you don't have a decent degree or diploma, get certificates instead. There are official certificates you can get for various programming languages and such. Bring those to job interviews. Because regardless of your official education papers, you'll still have that certificates and thus shown you can do it. I know at least ORACLE gives out certificates and tests for them. Even courses if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>688416983
Well that's a damn shame. When they're qt tho, they're qt3.14.
>>
>>688417968
How the Hell do I know if it's a hobby? Like, is there a "study x/y/z for ten hours" thing or do I just hope for the best and learn whatever?
>>
>>688417881
why do you contribute to beating a dead horse? PHP solutions are suggested by shitheads and inherited by clients that have more cash than brain matter
>>
>>688416120
You need to build a real skill base in order to bring value my friend.

>>688416272
Had to do something similar in one of my current contracts.

>4 mobile apps (2 android, 2 iOS): outdated, shit code, 7-8 authors each (from india), tons of lines (over 150 classes in each app).
>Companion web app (same shit)

Took me one month to realize the solution with 100% certainty.

SCRAP EVERYTHING, and build from the ground up.
No way anyone if fixing that mess.

I've already found a solution. Will have the entire project re-built in < 5% the code base. Srs.

So. I would tell your client the cold hard facts.
Code is shit. We need to rebuild it from scratch. Its going to get harder to update it every time there is a change.

>>688416279
Not true. App developers are 99% shit.

You need to focus on advertising/marketting the product.

>>688416515
Good advice.

Also, write self commenting code.

>Eg BAD CODE
void doSomethingFunction(float somVal)
{
}

>Eg GOOD CODE
int aTwoIntegersTogether(int a, int b)
{
return a + b;
}

>>688416820
Uh... almost all hot girls are bad at coding. Because in university every guy would give them help. Even at the cost of their own grades. Thus they don't learn.
>>
>>688418736

>Eg GOOD CODE
int aTwoIntegersTogether(int a, int b)
{
return a + b;
}

No, this is fucking stupid.
>>
>>688418525
I suppose a hobby is a pleasurable activity you engage in regularly? Think of what your hobbies are and imagine doing programming for that level of entertainment for about the same amount of time.

>>688418532
If php is a dead horse then what's a good alternative? I've been devving in php recently and it only seems to be growing from what I've heard. Might be because the demand side is dumb enough to encourage a supply side though.
>>
>>688418890
aTwoIntegersTogether(divideTwoIntegersTogether(multiplyTwoIntegersTogether(2,2)), aTwoIntegersTogether(50,20)));

What are you talking about? This is genius.
>>
>>688418736
b-but my game prototype
>>
>>688418890
He means, make code human readable/comprehensible.

E.g. use whole words for variable names, use verbs for functions, etc.

It's a good tip. I used to use 1 letter for variable names and 2 for function names. Also shadowing everyfuckingwhere. Prevented spelling errors. Looking back on it later it was a pain to figure out what the code did tho.

I still use 1 and 2 letter variables from time to time if the code is simple and I can comment within about 20 line intervals.
>>
>>688417005
Develop something cool in that language. Bonus points if you develop something cool and challenging. Thus it forces you to learn.

I suggest making a game. Shit can get challenging really quickly.

>>688417198
Nope. Pretty sure there are lots of devs out there bud.
Canadian bro here, from Vancouver.

>>688417250
Lol.

>>688417474
Just switching jobs is the best way to get a raise.

>>688417567
I feel you.

Remember, the best way to get revenge is to simply succeed in a huge way. Forget about the other shit, it'll only way you down.

In fact, its much better to hate your own work, or to at least be dissatisfied by it.
That way you know you have room to grow.

Good luck. Selling shit is fucking hard. Especially for us comp/eng people who obsess over quality and practicality.

People sold pool noodles, pet rocks and fucking rolled up wire (slinky's).

You have a duty to sell your shit if its as good as you think it is.

>>688418233
Yeah. Qt's = Qt's.
>>
>>688418890
I meant:

> addTwoIntegersTogether(...)
>>
>>688419470
It was an example people.

>>688419554
?

>>688419568
Exactly. Also, this is far more important the bigger your team grows.
>>
>>688418532
It's a language. It does what you code it to. Find a good framework or software to build on top of and have fun. Community is simply massive and version 5.4 and up and secure, reliable, and fast.

But I get it. PHP has a history and poking fun at it is funny. I'll just curl up and die now.
>>
>>688421006
Shitty language aside, what typically revolves around PHP are green developers with terrible best practices. It's the same for cold fusion, vb, DOS, and so on.. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3748961
>>
File: ?.jpg (5 KB, 340x148) Image search: [Google]
?.jpg
5 KB, 340x148
>>688408946
OP here.
Alright fellas.

5 more min of this and I'm out.

Any last questions?
>>
>>688422076
What's a good alternative to php then?
>>
Summer is coming about, and I just finished my first course of programming at uni. I have the basics (loosely-put) of Java learned. What should I do over the Summer? Keep learning java, do some standard project (ie Hello World is the first program you write - something else is a first project you do), or what?
>>
>>688422259
a good alternative is what you've analysed to be the best fit tool for the job. PHP is never a best fit.
>>
>>688422335
Java is fine for learning and for plenty of jobs.

Delve headfirst into the language.

Make something cool.

Keep practicing.
>>
>>688408946
Write in any language a function that gives the number 225 as a result of any user input
>>
>>688422925
Lol.

Alright in python.

def myFunc(input):
return 225
>>
File: cs1.jpg (191 KB, 1024x1344) Image search: [Google]
cs1.jpg
191 KB, 1024x1344
What maths do I need to learn? Or will I just pick it up from reading data structure and algorithms type books?
>>
File: 1462262462411.png (421 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1462262462411.png
421 KB, 3840x2160
>>688422335
>>
>>688422925
int opIsAFag() { char watdo[42]; cin >> watdo; cout << 225 << endl; }
>>
>>688423205
you didn't indent. YOU FAIL FAGGOT
>>
>>688423284
Depends. If you are planning on doing anything 3D related. You should look into linear algebra.

Basic discrete math and algorithm complexity would be useful.
General physics understanding is also very useful.
Base2, HEX understanding is great (different bases).

Although I go more on a need to know basis.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.