[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone here play a sport in HS or college? I know this site
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2
File: Hischool_football_sunset.jpg (551 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
Hischool_football_sunset.jpg
551 KB, 1024x681
Did anyone here play a sport in HS or college? I know this site is for basement dwellers, but I'm just wondering.

I never joined a team in school and now I seriously regret it. Maybe I'm just going through some age crisis but sometimes I with I could be born again.

What sport did you play and was it fun?
Was the training difficult?
How much rivalry was there between teams/athletes?
>>
>>688405231
Played Ruggers throughout highschool. Our school had a rep for winning in rugby, province wide, so there was a lot to pressure to live up to. Training was easy af cause I was already athletic. Ruggers the sport it's self was fun. It's just fun to hit ppl really hard. But the thing that made it the best was the bonds made between mates after games and practices. We rolled as a unit.
>>
>>688405869
What position did you play? Also I assume you aren't American?
>>
>>688406127
Canadian. I played lock and prop
>>
>>688406219
Those are tough as shit. Did being on the team give you some reputation in school?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>688406127
In university I got into more of the solo sports. Pic related it's 2 of my bjj medals
>>
>>688406485
Oh yeah man but it helped that I pretty much ran the weight room at my high school.
>>
>>688406497
Badass tbh, are those from no gi? What do you find harder bjj or rugby?
>>
>>688406695
Those are from no gi. I find bjj harder cause it's just you out there, all that focus and intensity is directed at you instead of spread across a team
>>
Played basketball in high school
>>
I played 3 Sports in HS Basketball, Soccer, Baseball. Played college basketball at a division 2 school in Iowa nobody has heard of and now I play amateur baseball here in Iowa.
>>
>>688406939
I can imagine but on the other hand when you win the credit is all yours. Any tips on what to look for when searching for a decent gym?
>>
I play American football currently. 90% of the time isn't fun but when you actually get into game situations and do hitting drills it's the best high you'll ever feel. The training is one of the hardest things I've done because the team's philosophy is if you practice slow then you're trained to play slow. Our only rival is the highschool down the street but there is always competition amongst each other for spots on the starting team.
>>
>>688407163
Emptiness. I love an empty gym. No waiting for machines
>>
>>688407501
I meant a decent bjj gym lol
>>
>>688407246
Back in school I never knew how people on the football team kept up with their studies because they would train like crazy during season. It's interesting your main rivals are a school in the same area, those games must get packed
>>
>>688407706
my best advice would be to go check them out. Do a free roll and see how you like the people there cause that's going to make your experience worth while imo. Also look into their affiliations and make sure it's not some no name. Like I'm under Marcus soraes who is under Gracie sr
>>
>>688408081
Cool, so it's a good sign if most people are chill. As you were a prop, do you compete in heavy weight? Not trying to judge but apparently roids are common in heavier classes
>>
I played football and baseball until highschool. People wanted to work out all day and practice all summer. I said fuck that for bitches and drugs. My brother plays football and has 9 offers as sophomore
>>
>>688407246
>football
REEEEE chad
>>
I did athletics and x-country. Distance on track were 400-3000m depending on they type of training I was doing at the time and competitions I had coming up.
>>
I played de opposite of a guy who went on to be in the nfl

I decided school was more important and went the route of engineering

He may have gotten a 12 million dollar contract recently but I've got a job for life

Kill me now
>>
wrestling fag here, wrestled all four years at a higher weight class than i should of and sucked at it but met some pretty cool people and learned persistence
>>
Played water polo in school and still do in college. Shit is cash except for the occasional ear infection
>>
>>688409318
It's usually such a short career and most just squander the money away
>>
>>688408372
I compete at light heavy weight but yeah I know what u mean. I'm in the process of going down further
>>
>>688405231
Never played many sports throughout HS since I dropped out at 16 but I did during my Middle school years. Shit was fun, built up your strength/endurance, gave you something to do and to make friends.

However biggest advice to anyone is to finish school. I got my diploma later at almost 19. While that isn't the problem, since I got it, I just didn't get to experience any fun high school parties/girls/friends that made any kind of lasting impressions or people I kept being friends with. Once you get out of the social circle it can be difficult to properly get back into it.
>>
>>688409830
Did you compete with anyone who was clearly a roider?
>>
>>688405231
It was fun I had my moments. I played Nose tackle but I was pretty fast
Training was pretty ok, I was mostly put on technique because I was jack shit with my footing
Oh and hell yeah there were some rivalries almost got arrested once
>>
Played football and baseball in HS. Playing under the lights on friday night was fun, but the camp and practices did suck. Baseball was OK, enjoyed it, but prolly liked FB better
>>
>>688410220
>almost got arrested once
wtf story?
>>
>>688410101
Competed against a guy 6 inches taller who told me after the match that he almost puked he was going so hard. So maybe him
>>
>>688409753
Yeah. But over the course of my entire life as an engineer I won't make that
>>
Field hockey goalie here, competed at semi national level
>Inb4 gayfagg
>I'm a eurofagg
>>
>>688411212
>inb4 gayfag
> I'm a gayfag
Fixed that for you
>>
played Texas high school football for 3 years. varsity three years.
also played club football in off season
played:
kick off
kick off return
outside linebacker
slot back
defensive end
tight end

can provide proof if needed
>>
>>688405869
Nice bro. Ausfag here. I played rugby all the way through school. Was first XV final 2 years of school. Loose head prop. Training was killer. Same bunch of boys all the way from first grade to the end of high school. We were a pretty expensive private school though so no Maoris or islanders. There was one private school here that they went to that was always the hardest games of the season.
>>
>>688411736
Fuck I'm jealous. Varsity in a state like texas isn't easy, congrats man. The temperature must be a killer though.
>>
>>688411818
Ayyyyyy GPS fag. My nigga.
>>
>>688411818
Why was their school the hardest games?
>>
>>688412015
the playing on varsity level was nothing i can describe. the crowds were so loud and every game meant something. The conditioning before the season started was the worst, but once you got used to the temperature and the weight of your own pads... its so worth the work
>>
>>688411581
say what you want, field hockey is bigger than ice hockey in europe
>>
Played soccer . Lots of training. Shit tons of running. Shit got me into shape real quick. Was fun and an enjoyable experience I'm happy I did.
>>
>>688405231
I played Varsity football in HS

It was pretty fun, but was kinda surprised on how many people who i thought were cool were actually assholes.

Training was pretty difficult, we trained from spring to fall.

Rivalry was only in our district with like 5 teams, we finished 4-1 in our league.
>>
>>688412333
Was weight training part of your routine?
>>
>>688412147
Not original poster but they were the hardest bc a couple of schools poached the best players from around the country and offered them scholarships. Heaps of players go on the play top tier rugby and plenty play for the national sides. Was a total scam bc you had all these rugby players on 'academic' scholarships hahaha
>>
>>688412147
When your a high school kid about to kick off against 15 coconuts that are almost all over 6ft and all over 120kg you know it's gunna be a long 80 minutes. Best tackle I ever made I was in 11th grade lined up this winger perfectly head on. Got low and pinned the cunt around his knees picked him up while I'm pushing forward and dropped the cunt like a sack of shit. Would have had ANYONE on the ground winded. When the ball was gone this cunt just stood straight up, slapped me on the back and said good tackle bro and ran off to get back into the game.
>>
Was never a athletic kid in HS, normally stuck to myself and just played video games.

But, I did play rugby for my school. I played Lock, and you'd never know it, but hitting people really hard is fucking amazing. I got into shape, and it made me a better person more so than more popular. Don't get me wrong, the whole team was a unit, we were tight with each other. Even now, we got some of the alumni together to go watch our HS team win state a week ago.

Plus, the worst injury I got was a bloody nose, and even then I got it from one of my guys during a practice. Would recommend rugby.
>>
>>688412754
we would do large amounts of cardio on the field.
we would do basic weightlifting, focusing on power and speed.(power clings, sqauts, benchpress.. etc)
I remember doing bungee training with a partner at one point.
but to cover it all the season would go like this:
summer workouts: lots of running and cardio on the field also we would start to warm up on the wieghts.(this is probably the most time we would worked out)
Regular season: we would start the first part of the season out by slowly transitioning from helmets, to helmets and shoulder pads, to finally full padded practice. (this is a rule in texas)

regular season would also start with two-a-days( this is when we would practice twice a day)

mid season would be pretty easy: lots of drill running with specific parts of the offense or defense. occasional learning days.

overall: lots of power based workouts. in football you need to be "explosive" and have stamina. overall I would hate the workouts, but Best shape of my life no doubt.
>>
>>688412757
Yeah this. That school I was talking about a heap of them normally end up with the Western Force. Our school gave scholarships to all of the states best cricket players.
>>
>>688413509
Sounds brutal, but probably got you stronger than other dudes your age in school. Was there respect between teams?
>>
>>688405231
I played Varsity Football (100% american) my sophmore, junior and senior year of highschool.
It was amazing and awful at the same time. I would get so nervous before every single game. I waited all week for the next game, I honestly didn't think about anything else besides football the entire season.
None of my close friends were on the team, but I played with some guys I knew from age five.
The training wasn't particular hard, it was challenging for me because I was on the line and I'm a pretty small guy, I got my shit kicked a fair amount.
Rivalry wise, we hated everyone, they hated us.
Listening to the national anthem before the game was, and always will be, the most emotional moments of my life.
>>
>>688413901
Yes the football players were always a little larger and in shape, but we still had other sports. I would say the largest people were the football players.

As for respect for other teams, we played all over Texas for 5A TAPS( its a division of football) We did respect the teams that played on our level, but if we knew they were trash teams we did play cocky. When schools play each other for ever you get a history of who is good and bad.

I would say we respected the majority of teams, unless we knew they were scrubs.

the only team we played no with no respect was our rivals. The rival games would be crazy and who ever won would keep bragging rights for the rest of that year.... So much emotion in those games.

over all: mutual respect was given to a good competitor. if there is anything football players respect, its a good game.
>>
>>688414449
>Listening to the national anthem before the game was, and always will be, the most emotional moments of my life.

Yeah you played.... cant describe the feeling. This and kick off return and kick off...
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.