[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /b/, I wanna be an engineer. I am having trouble deciding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 13
File: Ccf2kN5.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Ccf2kN5.gif
2 MB, 500x500
Sup /b/, I wanna be an engineer. I am having trouble deciding between mechanical and electrical. I have significant interest in both, but I suppose I'll focus on whichever is more likely to lead to an interesting career. Any advice?
>>
File: nvGwN3i.webm (384 KB, 268x200) Image search: [Google]
nvGwN3i.webm
384 KB, 268x200
>>687516482
bump
>>
Don't be a fag. Major in physics so you understand both.

Plus if you even have somewhat decent social skills you will be the most popular guy in the dept.

My Uni graduates like a thousand engineers a year and like 20 physics majors. Fuck engineers
>>
>>687516482
Doesn't really matter. You won't find a job in that field anyway.
>>
Mechanical if you prefer to visualise problems.

Electrical if you like random lines with fuck loads of weird math

Source. 4th year electrical
>>
>>687516482
Mechanical will provide you with a broader range of jobs, but is also the lowest average salary of engineers. Electrical engineering pays more and still has a good range of opportunities. But majoring in physics sets you up for both fields as the other anon said. Or choose chemical engineering and make a fuck ton of money. That's what I would do. Most them engineering majors become doctors, so if you majored in chemical engineering and DIDNT become a doctor, you will be in somewhat higher demand.
>>
>>687518409
>electrical if you like random lines with fuck loads of weird math

As someone who recently gave up on EE, fucking this all day long. Civil ftw, it's the "lowest" of the engineerings but you know what? It also has the most jobs in the largest variety of places.
>>
>>687518409
This. 3rd year mechanical, but I have to dabble in electrical occasionally.
>>
>>687516482
Why.
>>
Buy a train first and drive it around a little before you decide.
Plus, see how you look in an engineer's hat in the mirror--it may not be 'you'.
>>
>>687516482
why not mechatronic?
robots going around. try for the big shot and go to JPL.
you'll start as junior whatever anyway, at elast you'd have some fun during the studies.
>>
>>687517350
Meh, physics seems a little too conceptual for me. I want to be able to design/build real world solutions.
>>
>>687518409
>>687519038
I think I am leaning mechanical, it just seems like electrical is in a better position for growth by the time I would graduate.
>>
>>687519314
Sounds cool, not offered at my plebeian public uni though.
>>
>>687519289
kek
>>
>>687519232
See > >>687519378
>>
>>687519378
Suit yourself man. Look up how many engineers entering the workforce every year. You gotta compete with every one of those fuckers.

Plus the physics degree shows you can do math. Math with your fucking brain! Not type it into autocad
>>
>>687519643
move to yurop :D
germany is free, norway is free.
france/italy have very low taxes and better food than the first two
if you don't fuck it up it would be the time of your life
>>
>>687519912
Not OP but I am thinking of taking a couple senior level physics courses next summer in Germany. Am I fucked if I don't speak a word of German? Do the chicks there of college age like American guys??
>>
>>687517350
And you'll end up jobless.

As an EEE grad, I can safely tell you that the physicists were far smarter than us in terms of doing physics. But engineering and physics aren't the same, engineering isn't JUST an easy version of physics other wise there wouldn't be any point in it even existing! As an engineer, you're concerned with applying what physicists have already done to make shit easier. I'd say physics is much more interesting than engineering but a physicist can't do what I do in the same way I can't do what a physicist does.

Though the physicist is smarter than me, most employers would be more interested in me because my course is based upon coming up with solutions to real problems, presenting ideas and considering real life constraints. Physicists are concerned with pushing the boundaries of science, not making money.

In terms of mech vs elec, elec is definitely going to be 'the future' of engineering due to ever expanding uses of internet/computers/energy etc. That said, you can't go wrong with either, both will always be in demand.
>>
>>687519912
Expats also attend college for free? Seems too good to be true.
>>
>>687516482
Or you could not be a pussy and do biomedical engineering
>>
>>687520119
as far as I know, 99% of germans speak a good level of english. plus the funny accent, you'll feel like an "inglorious basterd" on a mission. you might even play some jokes on that but be careful, nazi propaganda is still banned in germany. and police don't treat that lightly
>>
>>687516482
here in germany i think the chance to get a first job is slightly better for electrical engineers... in the moment where you get your first leading position (most likely projectleader) the differences between mechanical and electrical enigneers are getting blurry and in higher positions your course of study is not important anymore. in that moment your history of successful projects is way more important and you cant differentiate between mechanical and electrical engineers anymore. career in research is another thing.
>>
>>687520355
dude it's europe. taxpayers.
they even fix you up for free at the ER. in my experience, no queues at all.
>>
>>687516482
I don't know what that machine is but I want it!
That shit deserves an NEA grant.
>>
Both will always be in demand OP. Mechanical, especially paired with other degrees later down the road, will yield to a FAR more diverse field of jobs. I graduated a year ago and have been working at a hydraulic and electric tool company for the past 8 months. The experience has been amazing and I've also gotten to dabble into the electrical side of things just from working.
>>
>>687520367
Nobody I know who graduated in bmed has a salary job.
>>
one funny thing about european school system is, with the obvious excellence exceptions, that people who o to private schools need to pay the teacher because they can't grind it in the public school.
>>
>>687517350
Have you considered that only 35 people graduate with Physics degrees a year because less people major in it?
>>
>>687520893
I think I will go mechanical, but I also don't want to attend grad school for the time being. Will a bachelors cut it? That sounds like exactly what I'd like to do, what's the company?
>>
>>687520498
Ok good to know thx. I am an outspoken racist prick over here in the states but I know better than to behave like that away from home. I have German roots and look just like those beady eyed bastards so I hope to fit in.

>>687520125
Dentists are doctors who flunk out of med school

Engineers are physicists who can't do math without a calculator.
>>
File: Hand analysis.jpg (679 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Hand analysis.jpg
679 KB, 3264x2448
>>687516482
THe careers are basically similar it depends what you wanna go for. You can go into magnetic induced stuff through currents or build pretty basic stuff. Like you're not innovating much in either cause it's just work. Electrical gives more into computer stuff too, like you might learn about computer architecture, and how signals communicate and issues with East vs west on power stuff, and maybe controls theory - pic related

>>687518409
I like to think that mechanical is practical and electrical is the philosophy and chemical is insane and civil is sand castle + maybe kansai airport, that's about all civil has for them
>>
>>687521107
Of course.
>>
>>687517350
*tips fedora*
>>
Economists claim that between 2015 and 2025 three areas of industry that will see the most growth are the medical field, energy, and technology. You can major in either mechE or elecE and be able to apply your knowledge in any of these three fields. As far as "interesting" goes, figure out what you're most interested in..
>>
>>687520119
Even as a German I sometimes have trouble reading scientifically written reports. German can be a very complex language, especially when it comes to science. Consider taking some language courses before coming here. But come visit us anyway, we're pretty nice guys in western Germany
>>
File: Electrical engineering.jpg (69 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
Electrical engineering.jpg
69 KB, 640x512
Go with mechanical.
>>
>>687520355
Sweden had fre uni for the whole world until a few years ago. Now it's just free for EU citizens. Not unthinkable that some countries still offer free uni.
>>
>>687521434
I thought the fedora thing was about atheism and white knighting and shit??

Newfag here
>>
>>687521205
willkommen in Deutschland
>>
I think electrical engineering has more interesting subject matter, but my degree is in physics, so my advice might be a little biased.
>>
>>687521148
When you graduate most of the jobs you'll be looking for will be tagged with entry-level. Any employer hiring entry-level will just about never expect a masters degree. A lot of companies will also pay for a masters degree for you if it's something that can be applicable within the company. They also may have a retainment policy with one that you can't leave for something like 2 years or the degree will be out of your pocket.

The tool company I'm at is a subsidiary of Emerson Electric. You can probably find it from that. They make a shit ton of stuff but some of the cooler shit is high force hydraulic tools used by service-field dudes as well as tools for residential plumbing and heating, etc.
>>
>>687521829
What do you do for work and how hard was finding a job?
>>
>>687521612
Good advice thank you I plan to take a beginner German class in the spring.

I had a German exchange student roommate for a semester last year. Cool as fuck (even though he never laughed like not even once). He had a fucking super hot German gf with him who thought I was just cool as fuck with my guns and fuck colored people attitude. Hoping there are more like her there
>>
>>687521645
any economic support like, lower fees for non-exchange students who have all on teir shoulders? they do in france if i remember ok
>>
>>687516482
Electrical engineering is great but the job field is harder to get into. You could major in mechanical and minor in electrical, which is what I am currently doing.
>>
>>687516482
My cousin just graduated in civil engineering. Literally got a job at a pretty pristegious civil department a week later. Although his work is just 2 blocks down the street from his dad's lawyer firm, so that might have something to do with it...
>>
>>687516482
Electrical sucks balls. Mechanical leaves options
>>
>>687521651
Not just that, also for when someone is being autistic in general.
>>
going to sleep mates, just one last thing:
first polite thread in /b/ I see
not even usa-eu fighting
I feel so much love
>>
>>687520119
How much does that cost? Just curious
>>
>>687516482
I recommend posting sinks instead
>>
>>687516482

World has too many engineers. Get a real major, like Gender Studies.

>Gender Studies / Literary Criticism double major here
>I'll be making 10s of dollars when I graduate
>>
>>687516482
Hey OP. I'm an industrial engineer. I program motion controls, engineer control systems, as well as manufacture the lines. (Tube & Pipe Mills is my primary focus).

So it's kinda in-between. It's pretty dope, since the industry is relatively hidden. And I make a ton of money on the side, with servicing all the local factories around here when they have a drive go bad, or need legacy programming done.
>>
>>687522454
ah, spoke fast and devil faster. :)
good night!
>>
>>687522485
Yeah I kinda skirted over industrial, but I'll keep it on my radar. Sounds like a pretty nice setup, was this an entry level thing or what?
>>
>>687522454
rolling in the pennies
>>
>>687522239
Ok thanks. Autism isn't real but I get the idea.

>>687522350
I am looking at about 10K for everything. Tuition, plane tickets, board. My university has little a deal with a German college that we trade students and since nobody majors in physics it is easy to get grant money for stuff like this.

My advisor has told me to just am have a couple grand for my own expenses and she will get the 10k for me.

Another reason I say go for physics. I am poor and old but they throw money at me. Just got $2k yesterday cuz I am taking a math class this summer.
>>
>>687519911
>Math with your fucking brain! Not type it into autocad

Almost all of the math you need to use in the real world needs be handled by software. Only with very trivial things you can do with a back-of-the-envelope calculation.
>>
>>687521920
I never got that cliché with Germans lacking humor. I'm laughing my ass off all the time.

Just be carefully with anti-foreigner attitude. The most people have similar views but this is nothing to brag about in public.
And prepare for shop-closed-Sundays! It really surprises me how many foreigners are complaining about this.

Mechanical here btw
>>
>>687521867
Yeah I've heard a lot of companies offer to pay for a masters, how does someone balance high level engineering coursework while also working full time though?
>>
P. Eng here also oldest fag 38. I went mechanical and specialized in metallurgy. Now I sit on my ass and sell premade weld procedures and answer stupid little questions. I have shit piles of cash and usually nap all afternoon or just drink beer and game/ watch TV / music around. Specialize bitch or be just be like everyone else.
>>
>>687522454
An ex of mine had her masters in gender studies and like an undergrad in religious history or some shit.

I had an associates on computer networking.

She made less than half what I did.

My two years of community college was way more profitable than her 6 at a private school

Choose your major wisely.
>>
>>687523327
Basically half of all liberal arts degrees are either become a professor or be poor situations.
>>
>>687522933
Engineer detected

>>687522991
He really was so serious but we could always tell he was having fun. I spoke wrong though cuz one time we ate some shrooms together and this fucker did laugh until he puked.

Germans are high on my good people list. Not sure what they are thinking with inviting all those terrorists in but I will be in a safe area I hope.
>>
>>687523094
>094 â–¶
>>>687521867 (You)
I've only been out of school a year. I don't have a masters. Everyone in engineering fields I know (cousin's fiance is in the Oil industry, coworkers, etc) who have gotten masters have absolutely no trouble with it at all. The work itself may be more challenging with a masters but you're also putting all of your focus on it. If you're managing with work your days might suck but the reward can be heavily worth it at the end. You don't have a bunch of other classes and random shit going on like you do in undergrad.
>>
>>687522074
Yeah I'm sure they owe his dad a few favors
>>
>>687523571
I do envy them sometimes. My buddy dropped physics our first semester and switched to art. Saw him on campus finals week and he looked five years younger and happy as a pig in shit. I was a bit jelly.

Plus his classes are all fucking hot art chicks. My physics classes are skinny pale bedwetters
>>
>>687523971
Think about that when you're flipping a coin in his burger king cup five years from now
>>
>>687523571
Yup, associates degree here as well. My girlfriend has a masters in psychology. She makes a little over half of what I make. (Electronics drafter)
>>
>>687523971
Yea it would be nice just to fuck around and get your dick sucked for 4 years, but at that you're only getting the lesser half of the college experience. I am a little worried of being alienated by autists in the field, but a lot of people here seem cool enough.
>>
>>687524442
Lol he has rich parents. You have to have rich parents when you are dumb enough to be a physics major with an art minor and think that is marketable.
>>
I.T. engineering student here.

I'd say EE's most job opportunities are in I.T. so if you're to go in that, you better go all in geeky and go I.T./Software engineering.

Mech is offers less in terms of salary and jobs, so if you're intelligent enough for I.T., you better chose this last one to my p.o.v.
>>
>>687516482
I find that gif to be odly arousing
>>
>>687525322
Ugh, yeah I have a few friends like that. Literally have daddy's credit card in their wallets. I envy them cuz my dad is dead
>>
File: 1464355355658.gif (3 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1464355355658.gif
3 MB, 360x360
>>687518188
Lol ..... speak for yourself ..
Electrical-mechanics engineer here. Believe me , there's plenty of work.
>>
>>687516482
there's a major that i'm in the process of obtaining called "mechatronics" explained simply, its a combination of both electrical and mechanical engineering with also a mix of computer science i think you'll be quite interested in
>>
>>687516482
Did you also share this on a faceobok group?
>>
>>687525893
Someone posted this earlier in the thread, my school doesn't offer it.
>>
>>687520125
You make a compelling argument for someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

If I were a retard you would've fooled me
>>
>>687517350
>Physicists
>Understanding mechanical OR electrical engineering
Sure ya do
>>
>>687525847
Story on the GIF please?
>>
>>687518188
You won't find a job in engineering?

This is a false flag, right? I'm guessing you studied something like women's studies or history of marijuana, and now you're bitter about your debt and unemployment?
>>
File: yWCjKla.jpg (208 KB, 870x1305) Image search: [Google]
yWCjKla.jpg
208 KB, 870x1305
Im mechanical. Love it. Pays good. Electrical pays less. Consider Megatronics engineering.
>>
>>687522826
Satellite earth segment design engineer here. Unappreciated by the public at large but still very rewarding when it comes right. Mostly structural/mechanical/some electrical but moving more towards electromechanical and a large slab of RFand propogation which is physicist stuff, proper fucking witchcraft.
>>
>>687518188
Please nobody listen to this loser.
>>
>>687520921
Working for Philips medical making good mons
>>
>>687522340
Shit
We fucked up
>>
>>687516482

Mechanical engineer here.
You should have a look at the roles that each discipline take on in different areas of their respective fields. If something stands out to you, investigate farther.
If you want to be an engineer, that means you should already possess at least the minimum skill set required to determine what would make the following possible:
The best thing you can do is get yourself started on a career path with not just a JOB but with a JOB+PASSION.
Sounds corny as fuck, but you won't dread work. You'll be a viable asset. That means good pay and great quality of life. You'll want to be better, and eventually you will be.

Don't be like >>687523113
Sitting on your ass all day and getting paid isn't what progresses yourself, let alone society. You may have a fancy skill set but if you're not utilizing it then you're just as good as never having achieved it. You are the 'everyone else'.
>>
Mining engineering here. Nearly went mechanical or chemical but didn't want to end up designing cupboard hinges or some shit my whole life. Now I blow shit up every day and make as much as a chemical plus a mechanical. It's what you make it but don't expect to do amazing unless you're very bright or prepared to work your fucking ass off. There are just too many mediocre engineers around.
>>
>>687523113
40. Oldest fag in the house unless anyone else knows better.
Oh yeah, if you want to know the difference between a physicist and an engineer watch each of them trying to actually repair something. Seeing what a physicist I know did to his cars exhaust pipe; hory shet.
>>
AS an electrical engineer graduated 2014, so from experience electrical is harder, but worth it. there is no doubt mechanical engineers will be needed forever but they are abundant. electrical is more specialized but more broad in the sense you can do more things and change between more things. mechanical you will likely always be using cad and designing some sort of box for most likely electrical design to fit in. from PCB design to IC design you can make anything in-between,you can do anything theoretical, everything around you involves electrical these days and it is more interesting. depending on the job you get you can be very divers or very specialized. either way you will get a good job in EE and it is in greater demand from Power distribution to medical, aerospace, defense, micro the possibilities are endless. and it makes more money. me and my girlfriend make a combined $140000 a year...
2 years out of college 1 year for her.
>>
>>687522485
IE here. If you are into a shit ton amount of money, try bachelor's in ME THEN a masters in Industrial/ Systems engg. Technical plus operations and business equals cash. Masters in IE is the ideal leverage for someone who wants to climb up the managerial position in a smaller amount of time, more desireable than a MBA holder
>>
>>687516482
are you in Absurdistan OP?
>>
>>687517084
This has to do with Manufacturing Engineering or Machinist by trade.

>Neither of OPs subjects
>>
>>687526708
FM = fucking magic

RF is god damn black magic i tell you
>>
>>687519378
How about physic engineering?
>>
>>687518188
mostly this
unless you speak habib or chinkenese

>engineer here
>>
>>687516482
Test
>>
>>687518188
nobody will get a job in any field if you don't get off your lazy ass and look for one... also take advantage of your schools career services, don't take it for granted (great resource)
>>
>>687529371
Manufacturing is usually taught in a Mech Eng course.
>>
>>687519911
nobody is going to pay you to sit there and do math by hand while designing shit... the only job you'll get with physics is a professor
>>
>>687519911
>Math with your fucking brain! Not type it into autocad
^retard ahoy !

Being able to add & wield a hammer are two different things (hint Autocad Niegh ANY CAD platform is the modern day hammer)
A chimp can Autocad. Don't mean he can engineer a space shuttle

>engineer here again
>>
>>687516482
>trouble deciding between mechanical and electrical

Physics undergrad
Masters in mechanical or electrical.
Best of both worlds.

Any engineer who doesn't think physicists can't solve real world problems doesn't know fuck all about the Manhattan Project. Physics trains analysis of the new and novel. The faster the world changes, the more you'll appreciate that background.
>>
>>687522933
Anon is the type that designs aircraft that fly below mountain ranges
>>
>>687518409
>>687521330
Electrical doesn't have to be theoretical at all, I design circuit boards and it isn't like anything I actually learned in school. You can span from no theoretical to completely theoretical (research) which not a lot of people do its more practical and simple, nothing like what you learn in class
>>
>>687521626
if you go with mechanical this situation would kill you, go with electrical.
>>
>>687529966
Poorly at best, ye who hath beleibed everything your skewed professors who hate capitalism hath said to you and you haveth believed like the sponge you are-eth

Manufacturing Engineering & Mechanical Engineering are two distinctly different fields.

Wake the fuck up
>>
>>687530478
I don't want to go to grad school at the moment though, even if I were more interested in physics. Too conceptual for me.
>>
>>687531056
This

only the casually ignorant marketing types or sales drones think otherwise

go into sales. Any moron can do that
>>
File: fvd546.gif (919 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
fvd546.gif
919 KB, 300x225
>>687525847
>>687526482
>>687526885
>>687529564
>>687529776

>taking such obvious pleb tier b8
>>
>>687531056
It's an engineering webm in an engineering thread. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>687527734
what did he do?
>>
>>687531442
>It's an Machining webm in an engineering thread. I don't see the problem.
>FIFY
>>
>>687531112
>Too conceptual

You have no idea what "too conceptual" means, friend. I'm a mathematician who's done physics. I've also done engineering in electrical, mechanical, and chemical areas. Mathematics is "too conceptual". Physics is general, but it's also very concrete.
>>
Mechanical engineer here.

Go software engineer. They're ridiculously overpaid. If you like mechanical then write mechanical software. If you like electrical, then write electrical software.Fucking software autists make twice what I make and write shit code
>>
>>687516482
You have to use both you faggot.
>>
>>687527734
I know a plumber who is also the brightest physicist I ever met.
He's employed as an Engineer

Fucking
That
>>
>>687531056
>Manufacturing Engineering & Mechanical Engineering are two distinctly different fields.

Don't be an autist, they overlap each other quite considerably.
>>
>>687532398
>ucking software autists make twice what I make and write shit code
Exactly. Because the people paying them are so stupid as to not know what they are paying them to do
>>
>>687532352
I agree with this anon. The reason physics seems too conceptual to you is because the shit we do now is so crazy and also that you haven't learned anything about it yet.

When doing my undergrad and they prove the aether isn't real i still get chills. Junior lab I think it was. Mich-Morley exp I believe
>>
>>687532924
Only when your overlords want to work your bitch ass from every orifice you cucklord.

Know the difference FFS you bitch
>>
try mechatronics ... it will be exhausting but worth it, i'm going for a defense next year
>>
>>687527734
Lol physicist here. I can attest I underestand damn near every part of the GC-MS at work but I don't get my car at all.
>>
Something related to nuclear and you'll always have. 6 figure job. Best way would be to join the nuclear navy and get an sro position.
>>
>>687525178
AAS master here as well. Civil Drafter though, graduated 2 years ago and just bought my first house.
>>
>>687533656
Is that like Library Science or The Classics ?

>IE short bus majors ?
>>
>>687533458
Look at this sperglord getting triggered.
>>
>>687516482
Don't try. You'll thank me when your dead.
>>
EE here. Only reason I chose electrical over mechanical is I like math, computers, and I wanted to work for the power company. Been in the utility business for 3 years now and it pays great. Can't really go wrong with those 2 degrees. Choose the one you are more interested in. I like power flow and solving circuits.
>>
File: cat7.jpg (215 KB, 366x471) Image search: [Google]
cat7.jpg
215 KB, 366x471
>>687532545
>>
>>687533945
Nope

Actually I enjoy every opportunity to see the current crop get mind raped and not even know it until 10 or 15 years later
>>
File: HeLooksAngry.gif (2 MB, 388x268) Image search: [Google]
HeLooksAngry.gif
2 MB, 388x268
>>687534260
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>687532352
>>687533375
When I say conceptual I mean in practice. Most physics work seems like research whereas I am more interested in design/creation
>>
>>687530597
Well then I need your help...
I need to design a power supply that gives both positive and negative voltages from a single battery.
Need to know component ICs and connections.
>inb4 hurrdurr use the + and -
doesn't work like that when there is no common.
>>
>>687516482
Dude mechanical is objectively better.
>>687519378
>I want to be able to design/build real world solutions
Building mechanical stuff is much more diverse, and more satisfying
>>
>>687516482
Mechanical: More interesting career overall
Electrical/Computer: More fun depending on where you go with it.
-Computer Engineer first year with AMD getting to test out configurations on new unnamed cards they are testing with HBM 2.
>>
File: twodadsmaybe.jpg (44 KB, 640x508) Image search: [Google]
twodadsmaybe.jpg
44 KB, 640x508
>>687534625
I guess for me I have always been hired for problem solving. That is what physics is to me. Figuring out how things work.

Best of luck anon. Any degree you choose will be great as long as you work hard.
>>
Graduated 8 years ago with a BSME. I saw no reason for a masters since I went into manufacturing. Specifically high volume metal cutting. I agree with most of the anons here to go mechanical as it will give you the best freedom and overall skill set.
Learn any cad package and get really good at it. The best imo is NX but colleges rarely teach it because it is fucking expensive. I do design, drafting, cam programming, fea, and simulations on the fixtures I build. The software works for me all I have to do is know how to use it. The older guys at my work hate it because they are stuck in their ways and that can be a struggle. Working with a guy who did it this way for 25 years is a bitch.
Go mechanical and the entry level market is more open.
>>
>>687534926
This is my basic thought process. I'm going to go mechanical I think. EE just seems more future proof, maybe I'll pick up a minor or something.
>>
>>687534584
Two distinctly different fields: Manufacturing & Mechanical Engineering.

I can fully define how to build spacecraft and deploy to the outer solar system.

I dont give a shit whether you build it in Seattle, The coastal Carolinas, Guam or the outer reaches of the solar system.

As long as you build it to my Spec

If you don't get this you should be bagging groceries
>>
>>687535082
this to the utmost
>>
Director of Engineering here...

I started out in mechanical engineering. MEs get paid less than EEs / CEs on average.

If you want the most money out of the gate and versatility, go EE/CE.

If you want to build an extremely solid foundation at the expense of starting pay, go ME.

EE/CE: Higher starting pay, lower risk
ME: Lower starting pay, higher risk, greater career potential

Just my $0.02. I've only interviewed several hundred engineers, so what do I know?
>>
>>687535291
>fea
Guaran-fucking teed you do not know what the fuck 1/10 of what the FEA means
>>
STUDY M A T H
PURE M A T H
>>
>>687536268
> and this
>>
File: maths_phd.jpg (34 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
maths_phd.jpg
34 KB, 640x427
>>687536268
>>
>>687536254
good points but it all depends on the job/company. EE can go just as far as ME in the right job. I work for an electrical utility. We have a few ME but mostly CE and EE.
>>
>>687536254
ayyyyy exactly what i heard when i went in for computer engineering.This anon knows whats up. I work at AMD now thanks to his advice. Props to you and thanks for all you do in helping other fellow potential engineers
>>
>>687516482

When I think of mechanical engineering I get excited. When I consider the reality of it I realize I just don't have the mental aptitude for math.
>>
>>687536534

>Math phd
>Money

No. Most people who are that good at math lack the social and creative requirements to translate it into a lot of money.
>>
>>687537147
Find a book called Engineering Mathematics by Stroud.

If you can't learn maths from that book, then you are missing at least 10 chromosomes.
>>
>>687536256
Lol and you know how to do it all? I guarantee I had more fea and machine design classes in college than you did dickweed
>>
>>687536867
>I work at AMD
Yes Thanks for pointing me to the Betamax of videocards/processors
>>
>>687537288
I don't need social and creative requirements to make 300k starting at any job I want.
>>
>>687537572
I will rest easy knowing the worlds shopping carts are adequately 'designed'
>>
>>687537522

I gave it a shot. An honest shot. A prereq for the engineering department was 3rd semester calculus. The class started with 60 people, ended with 9 people. Every one of us (except one who was way advanced) spent 3 days a week in the lab for hours plus the class which was 2.5 hrs each. That on top of daily homework, meet ups and private tutoring from an old timer who used to work at NASA on the heat shield for the Apollo missions and decided to help me for fun.

I passed with a C- and I think that was pity from the teacher.

It's just not my thing. I can conceptualize it but at some point you have to just accept what your skill set is and capitalize on what you're good at.
>>
>>687537915

>300k
>real money

Nope.
>>
>>687516482
>>687517084

this shit turns me on on a psychological way, is like my fetish
Post moar.
>>
>>687518966
My father was a civil engineer, worked in automotive and highway departments. Now he sells software.
>>
>>687538121
Dude, you got memed on.
>>
>>687538643

Not. An. Argument.
>>
>>687538643
Awww, why did you tell him?
>>
>>687538025
You mad bro? Did calc 2 weed you out?
>>
>>687520119
German does help. Mostly to get around and ask for directions. Though it may not be a bad idea to take a German class as engineering is huge in Germany, and I mean huge.
>>
>>687530597
im studying computer science, even more mathematics. microsystem technic has more physics.
>>
>>687520498
To back him up: As much as Nazi jokes can be funny the German Police and German people do not take kindly to any Nazi jokes, and you could possibly end up in jail.
>>
>>687535368
Any tips, advice, and the subject matter a Mech Eng. should know that colleges aren't teaching?

I want to do something with my summer off and differentiate myself from the others. (So I don't end up a cuck)

plz halp ;_;
>>
>>687538842

Engineers have no sense of humor, that's why.

>Mike Judge

Ok, one guy.
>>
>>687539421
Learn one of the cad platforms, if you can both engineer and design/draft you'll never look for a job again
>>
>>687539421
The best designers have some knowledge of manufacturing processes. Turning, milling, EDM, and grinding are most common. Plenty of videos on YouTube about them. You don't have to be an expert but design for manufacturing is not a common core competency.
>>
>>687539849
Which is best?
Solidworks? Inventor?
Best place to learn?

What sorts of shit do you wish college taught you that would've made your life easier?
>>
File: 1401923928341.jpg (41 KB, 521x521) Image search: [Google]
1401923928341.jpg
41 KB, 521x521
Welll...

Ironman or Antman?
>>
>>687516482
mechatronic you tool
Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.