[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Starting to learn guitar >Absolute shit >Need to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2
File: guiar boat.jpg (53 KB, 594x381) Image search: [Google]
guiar boat.jpg
53 KB, 594x381
>Starting to learn guitar
>Absolute shit
>Need to be good by September
>readytogiveup.exe

Any guitarfags have tips?
Also general guitar thread
>>
>>687291312

How good is "good" to you? What are you trying to achieve?

Regardless, learn your basic guitar chords (A major, C minor, etc) and go from there.
>>
>>687291491
Be able to play a good amount of songs and have some knowledge.Is Grade 2 or 4 doable in 3 months?
>>
Git gud
>>
>>687291312
hey, guitarfag for 8 years now, self taught, i basiclly looked up tabs for a song i liked and slowly learned it and eventually got the hang of it. it takes time though.
>>
>>687291312
play until your fingers bleed, then play more.
also what kind of guitar are you playing?
>>
>>687291312
>need to be good by September
Ya have a concert or something?
>>
>>687291826
Funny I've been told that before also Ibanez Acoustic Guitar.
>>
>>687291883
I wont be able to practice as much or not at all by September.
>>
I taught myself guitar fairly quickly and was able to do about everything but solos in most classic rock and alternative songs i wanted to learn within 2 months. I'd say first try to teach your fingers how to really hold, finger and strum a guitar. After that pirate guitar pro and look up simple songs you want to learn. It teaches you songs through guitar tabs and will play through the tabs at the same time to keep you in rhythm. I started with nirvana and learned how to play come as you are in a few days. From there learn harder songs as you progress. Also you can find just about any guitar pro tab online at ultimate guitar or 911 tabs. Good luck.
>>
learn power chords
>>
>>687291312
Play guitar hero for a couple hours a day to warm up your fingers.
>>
>>687291979
>gets good over the summer
>never plays again
wat
>>
Lol, i started today, can already play smoke on the water!
>>
>>687291312
What kind of music would you play?
>>
>>687291703

once you become familiar with the most basic chords, you can fake your way through songs you are already familiar with.
>>
>>687291312
go to the circle k
>>
>>687291312
Learn chords, "E","A","D","G","C"

play them in whatever order you want. Do until September. Git gud.
>>
>>687292061
This, should take about ten minutes
>>
>>687292215

vocaroo or it didn't happen
>>
>>687292215

kek
>>
>>687292228
Classic Rock/Alternative I can jam to most things
>>
>>687292361
aw but man ive already packed away my guitar...

0 3 5 0 3 6 5 0 3 5 3 0, this will have to do 4 now
>>
>>687292287
Troo. Its all you need to know to start a band
>>
>>687291312
Buy a book on the CAGED system. Will help you understand how to play chords, notes and improvise. Good improvisation with understanding the theory is way faster than memorizing songs.

If I could relearn how to play I would have:
>ALWAYS ALTERNATE PICK
>learn scales/ shapes and play them all day every day
>learn the chord shapes within those scales
>be good at guitar with a very strong base
>>
>>687292506
smoke on the water is one of the most basic songs. Also you're not playing smoke on the water, you're playing the RIFF of smoke of the water.
You couldn't fill 5 minutes with that, but it's a beginning.
>>
>>687292618
thanks
>>
>>687292504
What do you already know?
>>
Practice up to 4hours everyday with guitar pro and you'll be golden
>>
>>687291979
Music career fag here and teacher...
What the hell is wrong with you?

You want to get good in three months and then quit playing and hope your skills last?

That's impossible. Unless you're a prodigy or some crazy ass autism. I've played piano for 24 years. Took several years off because I was burnt out. And I was making decent money doing it. I can still play, but my chops are very out of work. But took me 24 fucking years to get to the point I don't have to "practice" anymore to still be good. However, if something came up I had to get back into it, it would still take a good six months to get my chops back in professional gear.

Op, you think all the guitar greats got good in three months? Fuck you. People like you are why music is being dropped from curriculum in schools.

If you want to get good, it takes years and lots of dedication. Take some lessons, if you have a decent teacher you'll learn very quickly how much you suck and how long it took your teach to get where they're at.

It's common sense.
>>
>>687292618
Once you get decent, start learning chords. If you want to grow into more of a lead player, here's my favorite exercise:

>Listen to a song (any/ every song)
>figure out what key it is in
>improvise in the key over the song, don't worry if it sounds perfect, or good, or if you're playing over lyrics, it's fine. Just practice playing over music, and being in the right key.

God Mode:
>Put your music on shuffle
>>
>>687292759
"E","A","D","G","C" Chords and few simple songs (Feelin' Alright)

>inb4 not gr8
>>
>>687292798
If you want to get good, it easily takes decades or you have to do it since you're a toddler.
>>
What will get you good without a doubt:

Every day take 10 minutes with a metronome and play your chromatic scale. Start off at 60 bpm playing quarter notes (each beat=note)

Increase the bpm by 5 every 5 times you play the scale.

In one month you should be able to play the chromatic scale at 90 bpm in 8th notes perfectly.

The chromatic scale uses every finger so subjecting yourself to this training will elaborate your dexterity between the two hands which is basically what makes a fluid guitar player.
Download guitar pro. Seriously it costs 7 dollars in the app store and nothing. NOTHING. will teach you as fast.

If you're serious do what I say and you'll be somewhat decent in 2 months with 30 minutes of playing a day.

Tldr
Scales primarily chromatic
Guitar pro
Metronome!
30 minutes a day!
>>
>>687291312
Do you have calluses already? If so, then don't press too tight on strings. Relax. You know that feeling when tapping a table? It's supposed to feel light. Apply minimum but enough pressure to sound the strings. You'll improve you're agility this way.
>>
>>687292693
its a joke sort of, while its true im mocking myself for it.

Also OP, train 4 hours a day every day, that will probs get you good quite quickly. If you already know music theory it should be easier.
>>
>>687291312
Play bass instead, any retard can play bass
>>
>>687292798
While youre here (if you still are) do you have any tips for learning hand positions? I keep getting all hamfisted when im trying to play chords and i lose track of where strings are to pluck them. I started with bass so it got more difficult when I bought my Les Paul.
>>
>>687292798
I understand and what I meant was by September I wont have as much time due to work etc. so I hoped I could get tips to practice my ass of during Summer.I will practice and hopefully play till the day I die but it's hard to practice hard even when you really want to.I know I'm making excuses but whatever thanks for the response teacherfag appreciate it.
>>
>>687293380
In the words of Glenn Fricker: "Rule #2 - Your Bass Player is a Useless Cunt"
>>
Justinguitar dotcom
Do everything exactly how he tells you, practice at least 3 or 4 times a week for at least half an hour
>>
>>687293125
I do have them,but some strings don't give off a good sound or just buzz if I don't press them really hard.
>>
>>687293618
When he said to tape a laser pointer to the amp to keep the bass player busy I lost my shit
>>
>>687293893
I was crying i was laughing so hard. And I was a bass player before I became a hybrid bass/guitar player
>>
this guys teaches stupid faggots to play guitar. i've learnt a thing or two from him when i started.
https://www.youtube.com/user/guitarjamzdotcom
people don't generally realise what a good guitar player is but i think that that level is the level that is satisfying in 99% of all cases
>>
>>687294016
depends on their opinion of what 'good' is
>>
Guitarfag here. Been playing for 8-9 years about, self taught. Learn your chords, simple riffs, scales, etc. Your fingers will hurt like hell, but that's how all guitar players started. Also, learn to alternate pick, and do it as much as you can. Trust me, alternate picking will make the fast stuff easier in the future.
>>
>>687291312
You need to warm up ive been playing all my life and im shit when i first pick up the guitar for the day after about an hour or 2 when you're warmed up you'll be better then start trying to learn shit
>>
>>687293124
thanks anon
>>
>>687291883
He needs to wake up ... WHEN SEPTEMBER EEEENDS!
>>
What did you guys use to learn scales?
>>
OP and misc guitar fags.
Go on youtube and watch the "This is why you suck at guitar" series by Ben Eller. It's pretty funny too.
>>
>>687291312
>need to be good by September
Faggot learning to play guitar in hopes of getting pussy at college freshman year, eh? Kys
>>
>>687294771
Im using Rocksmith 2014.
>>
File: 1435240657412.jpg (20 KB, 400x336) Image search: [Google]
1435240657412.jpg
20 KB, 400x336
>>687295000

>dem trips
>>
>>687291312
A lot of these are the techniques. But, I think that the "feeling" is more important.

How do you feel about the guitar OP? Want to show off? Have a concert? Or just fun?

How you feel about it is just as important as technique. If you're ready to give up, then it's probably gonna be hard for you. Guitar playing takes years to master.

If you're not confident about playing, then you'll fail yourself as a result. Playing the guitar is a matter of willpower and self confidence.

Try to ask someone to give constructive critique about your playing. Like, "your fingers are blahlabla" not "you fucking suck.

You're not absolute shit. Ask yourself what are your flaws. Ask someone to help. Get a teacher if you can.

Also, learn songs one by one, and don't spread them out until you're bored.

Don't worry. Don't stress yourself with a deadline. Try to work at your own pace. It's not like you're not gonna have another chance to play.

Also, take care of your guitar. It will give you a better sound if you maintain it well. Who knows, maybe it's the guitar not you?

Either way, yeah. Stairway to heaven is a pretty good song to practice on. A bunch of finger picked broken chords, and then some rhythm picking in the mix.
>>
>>687295000
Nice trips and nah not a freshman
>>
Drums r better
>>
>>687295357

>nostairway.wayneswolrd
>>
>>687291312
Don't let your pick drop into the guitar hole.
>>
>>687295357
Also>>687293124
>>687293002
>>687293471
>>687294016
>>687294136
>>687294170

If I was going to purchase an electric guitar any good beginner ones you know of anons?
>>
>>687291709
Same, OP, just look up tabs for songs you like, you'll get the hang of things. But you NEED to practice.
>>
Start practicing songs that only involve picking 2 strings and slowly moving yourself up so you can get familiar with chords. The key to playing guitar is patience. It's a puzzle that you do and little by little you get good at it. Use 0.09 gauge strings so it can be a little more easier on the fingers.

Anyone that says to automatically jump into chords from the beginning is an idiot and/or doesn't play guitar/sucks at it
>>
>>687296098
For beginners, a fender Squire.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.