[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
okay friends, ask a millionaire time serious questions only,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 5
File: pruf.jpg (92 KB, 853x1516) Image search: [Google]
pruf.jpg
92 KB, 853x1516
okay friends, ask a millionaire time

serious questions only, i legitimately like to give advice and answer sensible questions; begging will be moderately laughed at
>>
can i have 10 dollars
>>
>>686723021
nah. anything career/investing/etc. you'd like some help with?
>>
can i have 10 dollars
>>
what is going to a synagogue like you filthy jew
>>
>>686723117
how much did you start out with?
>>
Can i have 60 dollars for Dark souls 3?
>>
>>686723198
agnostic, bordering on atheist. raised catholic, went to a few presbyterian churchy youth groups as a teenager.
>>
>>686723223
very little. my dad worked in a glass factory. mom was a housewife. lower middle class, but comfortable.
>>
Do you haff money?
>>
howd you do it? How can i turn my shit life around?
>>
How much did you start investing with? Any general advice to growing wealth in the beginning stages?
>>
>>686723173
>>686723266

nah. seriously, you don't have any real questions?
>>
>>686722861
what do you mostly invest in?
what do you think is the safest to invest in?
>>
File: BXuW_zUt.jpg (32 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
BXuW_zUt.jpg
32 KB, 400x386
I have a few grand to invest in something. What should I invest it in? I play around with the stock market, nothing much gained to be honest. I need to diversify I guess. How do I grow my monies?
>>
>>686723533
i started my own company, and sold it. but that's the effect; the cause was getting interested in math at a young age, working at it, learning skills (coding, etc.) on my own time, getting into a good school, and so on.

never work for someone else if you can avoid it.
>>
>>686723557
comparably little of my wealth is from investing, it's mostly from the sale of my company. investing is really a maintenance thing.

my advice for starting out:
1. you're at an information asymmetry with just about everyone. therefore, put it in mutual funds, indexes, and spiders. vanguard is great for this.
2. if you happen to really, really, REALLY know a sector, focus solely on that. but again, read #1.
3. if you really, really, REALLY know a sector and you've got balls, learn options trading and how to cover your downside.
>>
>>686723599
i mostly invest in the sectors i know inside and out (tech) and leave the rest in betterment for retirement, as well as some vanguard index funds.
>>
How strong of an investment is SWHC?
>>
>>686723620
depends if it's long-term or short-term. long term, again, indexes and spiders.

short-term, i think there's some good plays if you pay attention to macro trends. for example, everyone knows cable is going away, right? so short DSNY, as ESPN is going to hurt them real bad
>>
>>686722861
Holy fuck you are my hero you are my new god you sir are my true love.
>7 years in this hellhole of the internet
>seen many threads come and go
>seen a LOT of screen caps of phones
>every single one has been almost dead
>none ever fully charged
>untill today
>you are the greatest OP in the history of screen caps
>The first and only to own a phone charger
>I love you.
>>
>>686724015

Advice for someone who read your post and doesn't understand a single word you just said?
>>
>>686724159
ha, don't know much about it, but i suppose buying that as well as gold is basically shorting the entire USA, so maybe it's not a bad play

a lot of people much smarter than me are really worried about china, and if china pops, we're all fucked
>>
>>686724288
then honestly, maybe investing isn't right for you at this moment. you don't want to get hurt.

i don't want to sound like a dick, but people get hurt bad in finance when they don't know what they're doing. the best thing you can do with that money is invest in yourself; start a business.
>>
>>686724257
thank you, thank you, you are far too kind

actually, thank my girlfriend, she has like fifteen of them laying around because i always lose them
>>
>>686724561
The prophet has spoken!
>all hail the girlfriend of 15 chargers!
>>
>>686724439
>invest in yourself

How?
>>
>>686722861
Are you white?
Also GIVE me some money bro.
>>
>>686724762
i'm a big of arbitrage businesses. for example:

step 1: go to costco. buy 5 30 cases of water for $3 each.
step 2: go to public park, sell water for $1.
step 3: take $135 profit, buy lunch, buy gas for car, repeat.

pretty simple. you do it right, easily $150-$200 cash, untaxed, every day.
>>
>>686724942
i'm 6'4" and can't dance worth shit, so yes, i'm white.
>>
>>686723223
probably half a mil. it's was a very small loan tho
>>
>>686723941
>spiders

I hope that 'putting your money in spiders' means exactly what I think it means.
>>
>>686725117
ahem. one, don't answer for me. and two, certainly don't answer with some bullshit like that.

i started off with zero. my family didn't even pay for me to go to school, i was on scholarship and work study.

and three, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>686725022
How much do you attribute white privilege to your success?
>>
>>686725263
Scholarship as in some sort of fafsa Pell Grant or did you actually earn it?
>>
>>686724966
>acting like other people don't sell water bottles at football games
>implying you'll sell all the water bottles
>assuming people go to the park
>>
>>686725176
ha, that would be some charlie from always sunny shit.

no, spiders are basically index funds that generally represent the health of the market at large. risk is way lower, as is the reward.
>>
>>686725263
nigur duck off with ur white superiority bullshit. I'll speak when and how I qant. u gay asss ain't gonna do shit duck country ass "lower class" bitch. go on a trap bread where u belong autismo.
>>
>>686725289
all of it.
>>
>>686725289
hmm, that's actually a good question. a decent amount. i grew up in a nice area of my town, was lucky enough to be in a great school district.

it was lily ass white, and i really didn't know how much of a bubble i was in until college. my freshman year roommate (and best friend to this day) was a black muslim pre-med from new york city. just in the various day-to-day stuff of getting lunch and hanging out, you wouldn't believe the racist shit i personally witnessed directed towards him. it was pretty gross.

being white certainly didn't make it all happen for me, but i'd be lying if i said that it doesn't make it easier. ditto being male, ditto being tall.
>>
>>686722861
Hey Anon, you sound a little like Elon Musk, But what was your first company you started and what would you suggest i start in a more modern Economy
>>
>>686722861
Im wanting to buy a small house or condo soon. How much money would I need to make hourly at fulltime in order to be able to pay for a mortgage, car, and all other necessities?
>>
>>686725428
Listen here buddy, I may not be a millionaire, but I'm pretty sure that a spider is a type of arachnid that can make webs and sometimes bite people.

Putting money into one of these octopedal little guys, that's just a smart way to avoid getting fucked by bank fees and the IRS. Nobody ever checks the spiders.
>>
that is your net worth? savings account?

the NY department of sanitation is going to hurt ESPN? oh, wait, that's a stock. okay. yeah, that's nice what you're doing, but /b/ browsers are usually beyond helping
>>
>>686725637
>I am a white tall male with a huge fat cocktail and I definitely didn't photshop op picture and I am the best and learn everything from me u pleb fagita bc I think I and better than u. duck my dick and eat shit wlhomos.
>>
>>686722861
Did you go to uni?
If so, what was your major/masters in?
>>
>>686725378
half academic, maybe a quarter was covered because of my somewhat modest family roots. the rest was work study; i was an assistant on the track team and did shit like putting hurdles away and worked track meets.
>>
>>686725637
I'm glad you can actually recognize that it's a mixture of both.
People always get really defensive about that shit.
>>
>>686725388
>acting like he wasn't just trying to give and example
>>
>>686725388
fine, here's a better example:

>be on a college campus

it's may, seniors are moving out. buy up all of their air conditioners from their dorms. they won't move with them. you'll get them for cheap.

pay some frat house $100 to let you store the shit in their basement. or get a locker unit.

in september, sell a/c units to freshman.
>>
>>686725948
>Acting like that moron was capable of conceiving that
>>
>>686726037
>>686726037
Warning, must have cash to invest!
So save up niggers
>>
>>686725692
i started businesses all my life, it's just a part of who i am. lemonade stands when i was a kid, for example.

when i graduated, went straight into startups. first i was employee #30, then employee #4 at my next one, then started mine.

so i guess to answer your question, first one was probably like 8, but the company i sold, i started at 26.
>>
>>686722861
what ratio of bonds, stocks and cash do you recommend maintaining in portfolio for next 12 months?
>>
>>686722861
are you a savy saver? (i.e. takes napkins from places instead of buys their own)
Do you believe in the phase "save 15%" or do you believe you just spend less and didnt really "save" money?
>>
>>686725754
hard to say without knowing the price of the house, but i can say that (generally speaking) home ownership is a solid investment.

particularly if you can fix it up yourself, and/or rent it out and take advantage of inflation or tax abatements.
>>
>>686722861
What are you invested in now?
>>
What should i put all my money in right now?
>>686722861
>>
>>686725818
that's robinhood, a mobile app that keeps track of my portfolio and lets me dick around with some simple trades. that's probably about 30% of my liquid net, the rest is in retirement accounts and mutual funds.

i have a ton of illiquid money tied up in the company that bought mine, which is a bummer. ipo market sucks.
>>
>>686725831
yes. computer science with business minor.
>>
>>686726049
acting like ur a gay fag

oh wait ur not acting
>>
>>686725492
Nigger just how autistic are you?
>>
>>686726600
>Not using le maymay arrows
>Thinking gay is an insult
>>
Looking at an investment property by using approximately 50k equity from our house.
The investment property is positive geared and pays for itself.

Is this a wise move or should me and the wife keep paying our current home loan and forget about investing until the mortgage is paid? (I'm 31 she's 29 no kids, 2 wages approx 10 years to go on our loan)
>>
>>686726312
hmm. cash is king, so put 50% in some sort of high-interest checking on ally or capital one or something. keep it liquid until china cools down.

from there, split between bonds and stocks, unless you really know a certain sector to focus on.
>>
>>686726439
ur butthole anon. usually they are a bit tight but u can sometimes save a whole ton of cash in their so when u the apoloclyse comes, u can battle the Jews with shekels of ur own. #opsuckadick
>>
>>686722861
So i just graduated high school what would be my best bet to make money
>>
>>686726690
probably way less autismo than u fagburch
>>
>>686726327
i'm actually not. i'm somewhat undisciplined to spending and always have been.

thankfully, right now i'm making more than i could ever realistically spend without dramatically changing my lifestyle. i like nice things (going out to dinner a lot, vacations, etc.) but when i do those things, i don't need them to be like, first class all the way. so it's sort of in the middle.
>>
>>686726691
>plying I wanted to use arrows
>thinking being a fag is OK even tho it's the current year
>>
>>686726886
>Not having dubs like me
>>
>>686726399
lots of long-term tech, actually. most of the portfolio in the top image is literally GOOG, AAPL, AMZN, and a few others.

they're all great companies, and even better, the average person loves them. it's a win win.
>>
>>686726439
depends on what your goals are. what are they?
>>
>>686726979
So other than having a company then selling such as yourself. How should someone venture into long-term investments? Short-term?
>>
>>686726700
hmm. that's a good question.

if you feel pretty comfortable with your job stability and hers, go for it. i like investment properties a lot, especially if you feel there's a very low probability of not being able to rent it out.

i guess what i'd say is focus more on the bad things that can happen, and then figure out how bad they'd be. you always want to consider your downside.
>>
>>686726786
getting a job in tech. seriously.

i can't stress this enough: get a 401k and start contributing to it immediately. IMMEDIATELY. compound interest is your friend.
>>
>>686726975
no not having dubs like me
>>
>>686722861
What's the next google?
>>
>>686727174
my personal opinion is that investing is very irrational, due to retail investors (think your mom and dad) and high-frequency traders like hedge funds who manipulate stocks just for the sake of making money off of the small movements.

therefore, there isn't really a "short-term" strategy unless you know inside information. almost all day traders eventually get busted out.
>>
>>686727452
i can't see any company going IPO any time soon, so it's hard to say.

as far as private companies, palantir is fucking massive and is going to be even bigger in time. blue apron is an interesting one too.

i'm curious to see what uber's eventual IPO will look like. it'll set the stage for the tech market for the next decade to come.
>>
I'm currently a drug dealer, 24yo, and have owned and operated two successful businesses in different industries (and sold for a good profit on both.) I want to start investing some spare money in stocks.

The way I have my life set up now is I do minimal work and make $750-1200 weekly. However I want to start trading stocks and learning the industry. Please direct the next courses of action for me to take.

This may also shape your advice - I don't have any savings right now as I recently got robbed by some fucking somalians (spoiler, not pirates but quite the cunts when they know you have money stashed.) So I can't dump a large sum of money in, just a percentage of what I'm making weekly.
>>
>>686727514
ah shit, i didn't answer the long-term half of your question.

honestly, 99% of people are best off just buying mutual funds and letting vanguard do it for you. and that's the honest truth. for long-term stability, do shit like that and pay into your 401k as soon and as much as you can.
>>
Op do you like to gamble at all?
>>
>>686727749
hmm. a lot going on here.

what i would probably do is take some khan academy courses on finance, and then set up some mock portfolios on yahoo finance or elsewhere and just see how they do. start to learn how to read sec filings, p/e ratios, stuff like that.

but again, forewarned, the market isn't really rational, because there's so much more information available than there was before. it used to be (like twenty years ago) that you could really look at balance sheets and cash flows and pick a winner stock. now, not so easy.
>>
>>686728162
yes. i was actually a really high stakes DFS player until it was shut down in my state - i was probably making 100k/year off that alone.

i dig blackjack a lot too, as it's basically math. used to be decent at poker but haven't played in a while, that was always more of a social thing.
>>
I make a decent amount of money but learning about stocks and smart investing seems like a very trial and error heavy business. So far I have about 5K invested in mutual funds for my RRSP (Canada) and another 10K in a lower risk mutual fund. I'm already living in regret for not pulling the trigger on buying TSLA stocks in february when they were down to 145, but I'm not sure where to invest for actually making money in a moderate term. Any suggestions? I'm looking out for my retirement but I'd also like to actually reap some benefits from investing as well.
>>
>>686722861
If your so rich why dont you go do something besides brag on an image board for basment dwellers?
>>
>>686728301
Nice. Have you ever played runescape?
>>
>>686728374
this. op is gay
>>
>>686728374
my girlfriend is asleep, or else i'd fuck her. and i like helping, i really do.
>>
>>686722861
What Is the best safest passive income source? How do I most efficiently buy a passive income?
>>
>>686728372
i can't give you any specific advice like buy company x, because i only really follow tech and the winners i like in tech are the ones everyone already knows. i wish i could be more helpful.

well, i guess i could be more specific; i think based on their domination of logistics, AMZN will be the biggest company in the world within 10 years.
>>
>>686728391
i have no idea what that is, so no.

i was never really into vidya other than sports games (madden, etc.) so that might be why.
>>
>>686728197
Thanks for answering my questions.

I'm not looking to make a lot of money, or a living salary but small profits. I'm motivated to do this because a) I've always wanted to since I was young and b) I want to look like I have a "job." and c) I just have so much free time I need to learn something new.

Any other platforms or apps you'd recommend on top of yahoo finance? Or are they mostly bullshit?
>>
>>686728590
>>686728374
Samefags

Just because you're poor and don't know the difference between "you're" and "your", you have to complain like a bitch when an OP comes in and actually is helpful?
>>
Hmmmm was gonna call you rping wanna be rich fag but you seem to know your shit. Whats a good place to start learning bout investments and such? Always been interested in the stock market.

Btw as a car guy I gotta ask, what do you drive?
>>
>>686728759
safest is ownership (and subsequent rental) of property. beyond that, franchising or stocks that pay our dividends.
>>
>>686728797
That's fair. I've only paid such close attention to tsla simply because it's so volatile. I don't know how I'd feel long term with it, but short term shows a consistency of being able to yield large profits.

Aside from companies, do you have any advice for how to proceed with the spare money I have now? I make about 100k a year give or take, so I can probably spare about 10-15 a year in investments- problem being I have no idea where they should go

Thanks for your advice so far investanon
>>
>>686722861
What kinds of things do you invest in?
>>
>>686728937
Being a *You're kiddie is always synonymous with fedora wearing.
>>
>>686722861
How would you properly start and run a business? And how would you go about selling one?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 278x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 278x480
>>686728856
You should play it, pretty high demand for the currency ingame. Can sell for $1.00-2.00 per mil. And there's gambling in game it's quite simple. YouTube 100b stake 07 on YouTube, dude wins $50k worth of currency in like 45 seconds :D I wish I had money like you Id turn $200 into a few G again :p
This pic is $446 worth money's
>>
>>686728895
everything you need so far as information on the companies you can get from yahoo, google, or services like capital IQ or bloomberg. that part is easy.

the harder part is educating yourself, which is available on khan academy and a host of other places.

and yes, i agree, in your case you're going to want to show legitimate income somehow for when the tax man asks. and you're welcome.
>>
>>686728948
as i mentioned above, khan academy and the like. trial and error with fake money as well.

i live in nyc, so no car. uber, i guess. i'd get the fastest motorcycle i could if i thought i'd do anything other than kill myself on the first day.
>>
>>686729148
I could teach you op, let's be partners :D
>>
>>686729079
i feel like i'm harping on this, but the sooner you get it invested into a 401k or some kind of tax-sheltered vehicle that can start to compound, the better. i'd rather see more people contribute more to that than have 10k laying around "to play with", you know?

i wouldn't bet against anything elon musk does long-term, personally.
>>
>>686729117
mostly retail tech (AAPL, AMZN, etc.) and for the rest, i have a few quant friends at HFT hedge funds that i pay into.

honestly, i can help with investing but if my answers are somewhat limited because everyone's situation and risk threshold is different; i'm probably better to give general career and business advice
>>
>being successful
>being on 4chan

choose one faggot
>>
>>686729125
companies are bought, not sold. they'll come to you if you're good enough.

starting a business, depends on what you want to do. if you've got a skill people will pay for, create an llc and go ahead and do it. if you're talking a franchise, then do your homework and really think about location and how much support the home office will give you. if you're talking a tech startup, you better be willing to work 100 hours a week for years, and be charismatic enough to be able to convince everyone (vcs, future employees, etc.) that you're special.
>>
Hmm, so what I gather OP is you're a tall white male who enjoys gambling and never was interested in video games.

I'm a average height white male that doesn't gamble and is deeply invested in video games. This has led me to be an unemployed Neet living out of my parent's basement and ultimately being pretty happy with it.

I feel happiness is wherever you find it and that certain people are predisposed to value money over others. I guess what I'm getting at is that as a representative of the "haves" (vs the "have nots") do you feel similarly or do you believe that money is important to happiness regardless of your personality?
>>
>>686722861
>>686729148
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cveJ6Zehilk
>>
>>686729965
i've been here since like 2005, when my friend in college was all about it. i bet you'd be very surprised, we're not all 16 year old summer fags who post fake cocks to rate threads.
>>
>>686729636
I try to keep 10-15k in savings in case of emergency (Truck explodes, need to abruptly move, etc) but everything else I'm trying to invest. My RRSP's are a decent investment for now and the mutual funds I initially invested in were run through my TFSA. The problems I get when I go into my bank are that the accountant I deal with simply points at charts and goes "As you can see, this one is high risk high reward, while this one is low risk low reward" etc
Like, all I see are random chart names and I have no idea past this random dudes opinion that my money is going into something worth while.

For ex, I was under the impression that my mutual funds would yield at least a quarterly return of some sort. Buttt apparently I'm told it was supposed to make me money in 20 esque years off the stock value snailing up and with no actual dividends alone, so I feel kind of ripped for dropping 10k into it
>>
>>686730098
i absolutely agree. there is nothing that is more important to me personally that doing what you enjoy.

that's a cliche, but right now, i'd turn down my current job and my current salary for the opportunity to be a soccer coach. why? because i love it, and i'd enjoy it every day.

real talk though: the labor market on this planet is going to get real bad, real quick. AI is going to replace lots and lots of jobs that will never come back.
>>
>>686722861
How would you convince someone to buy your restaurant or bar Etc, Also, Where do you get funding for starting a business?
>>
>>686722861
What would you do if you had USD 10,000 in your savings account?

You have a stable job that pays OK money to stay in the middle class, you are in your mid-20s, but unhappy with your job.
>>
>>686729636
How did you make your first sale in your startup company?
>>
hey op i'm in argentina i'm 17 now and i want to start my working life in the us.any advice??
>>
>>686730225
he's semi-right, mutual funds are definitely not designed for you to see any short-term rewards. what you're describing is like, "hey, the market is good, so why aren't i doing better" and you're right about that, but think about how good you'll feel when the market is shit, and you're somewhat safe because your mutual fund is diversified.

everything you're doing is "worthwhile", but i understand your impatience. maybe the best bet for you would be to get really informed on a certain sector (let's say healthcare and pharma, for example), and then look for small cap companies to invest in.

information is the most valuable currency there is in this game.
>>
http://steamcommunity.com/id/coffeeandsweets
Can you give me a knife
>>
>>686722861
why u don't give me money since u already have enough?
>>
>>686730416
i would have no idea how to sell something like that, but i assume there are websites and/or brokers that do. may as well just approach them and pay them their 3%.

depends on the business, but since you asked about restaurants and bars, i'd assume your local bank. keep your credit score up, actually come in with a sensible business plan (and an understanding of cash flows, etc.), and you'll be fine.
>>
>>686730506
honestly? i'd take that 10k, learn data science, and get into that field immediately.

that will pay the highest long-term dividends for you.
>>
>>686730506
Not op but

>>686729148

>>686730150
>>
>>686730683
lots of networking, which i hated. but it's important to be perceived as an industry leader: tweet a lot, speak at conferences, volunteer at events, get involved.

that's the sale of the company itself, if you're asking how i got the first revenue in the door, it's basically just hustling. offer to do work for someone for free, and then hit them up the next time around.
>>
>>686730783
hmm. i don't know much about the work visas, so i don't know if i can give you great advice on that, honestly. sorry!
>>
>>686730802
Not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of something like Amazon even though I buy from there all the time. I even got a little excited about the prospect until I found out their stocks were going for 700 each. Maybe I'll wait for a dip and go in on them with 5k when their stocks hit 500 or something like that.

I like your idea though, maybe I'll start researching a sector and find out where I should invest in. Sorry for peppering you with questions, but do you have any idea where a good place to start learning would be? It's a pretty broad subject to start off on.
>>
>>686730906
then how would you learn to fish?
>>
>>686730783
You don't wanna be here. Shits Ganna hit the fan here soon.
>>
>>686731229
well, just because amazon is at 700 doesn't mean it's not worth that, but i get what you're saying.

and no worries, that's why i started this thread - i legitimately like helping people. for something like healthcare, i really have no idea. for tech, which i do know about, it's about paying attention to trade publications (techcrunch, thenextweb, etc.) and understanding global trends in the marketplace (internet of things, ar/vr, etc.).
>>
>>686731047

First, thank you for your answer

How come?

If the plan is not to work for someone?

How would you use this for yourself?

My qualifications are in the fields of psychology and social work. My goal is not to be a millionaire but to create greater social impact than working as a 1-on-1 psych/counsellor/social worker.
>>
>>686731415
i was actually going to say that, if trump gets elected, i'm not sure you want to be here as an immigrant, even if you are working.

i love america, but let's be real; apart from the bigger cities, it's not very welcoming to foreigners and it's only going to get worse as jobs go away forever. i'm not sure how great argentina's economy is or anything like that, but unless you're planning on moving to a very large city with a large spanish-speaking population, i'd recommend against it.
>>
>>686731227
any cheap state?
>>
>>686730371
That's nice to hear. I too wistfully dream of doing something that fulfills me. Nice to know we aren't that different.

And yeah, as someone without the drive to earn money this economy sucks pretty hard. I've got plans though, shitty plans at that. Hoping for the implementation of Universal Basic Income to feel like I have some freedom as a human being. Other than that I can live off my parents until they die and inherit their wealth as I'm an only child(it's pretty depressing to think about on a daily basis to be honest). Still the UBI could help me be confident about starting a family, without having to bank on falling in love with a working woman. I'm optimistic though and I know if I can just hang in there everything will be fine.

Thanks for taking the time anon, it's always nice when 4chan reminds me we're all on the same team in life.
>>
>>686722861
can you talk about how you made your money a little bit? what did you invest in? like properties and stuff? or did you make a product? or?
>>
>>686731649
Not talking about immigrants. Something far worse(:
>>
>>686722861
can trips get 5 grand?
>>
OK I'll take advice from anyone even though this is probably fake but what did you major in? I'm planning on majoring in finance and maybe getting an MBA in marketing do you think this a good plan also we are very similar my family isn't paying anything for my college but I'm poorer than you were...that is if your legit
>>
>>686731557
there's more data being generated than ever before, and it's increasingly exponentially. problem is, people know how to collect it but not use it to make decisions. enter data scientists.

you could very easily be a freelancer with that skill set. what if you worked with different hospitals to map out a better procedure for helping troubled kids by looking at data over time, seeing what worked and what didn't?
>>
>>686731709
you're welcome.

i think UBI is the correct approach, but it won't happen in america any time soon, for dumb political reasons.

people don't realize that socialism doesn't equal communism, and that it was socialism in the 30s and 40s during the great depression that kept people working, roads build, bridges, parks, everything.

here's my advice though: you have passion, but not the drive. to me they're correlated, but i get what you're saying. think about things you're passionate about; let's say they're video games. what if you worked to qa games? what if you worked with people trying to kickstart game ideas? what if you learned to code games yourself?

i suspect what you say is a lack of drive is really just a lack of obvious opportunity, but i bet it's there if you dig a little.
>>
Op if you're real why the fuck did you post this on /b/ and not on /biz/
>>
>>686731761
sure. basically, i worked my ass off in high school to get into a good school, where i worked my ass off to get a valuable degree (CS), which i parlayed into a job where i worked my ass off.

at each job, i learned as much as i could, and then left when the opportunity cost was greater elsewhere. for me, this meant going from a medium sized company to a small startup to eventually starting my own.

once i had my own, i lived and breathed it, all day every day. i built it, marketed it, found VC for it, hired people, networked in the industry to get my name out, and eventually sold it.

in conclusion: my dad worked in a factory, taught me the meaning of hard work. that's the bottom line.
>>
>>686732003
Great advice! Thank you very much.

A lot of questions come to my mind. Some I'd like to ask.

Why are you dedicating your time to provide advice to this community?

Also, any way to contact you anonymously? reddit? skype?
>>
>>686731982
i'm 100% real.

i was CS with a business minor, from a very notable tech school.

finance is a solid choice. if i were you, i'd double down on math/stats and try to parlay that into wall street or serious banking. typically business types are just ideas people who make power points and sit in board rooms; that shit is boring. the real money is on wall street, and they don't hire business people - they hire math nerds who understand business.
>>
>>686732319
because the people on /biz likely know some of this, and thus, it won't be as helpful. also, i never go there.
>>
>>686732579
i came to /b a lot when i need to unwind, decompress, and just be an idiot for awhile. thus, i feel like i need to pay it forward a little bit.

i can create a burner email if need be.
>>
>>686722861
How do I become rich like you OP?
>>
>>686731501
What's your opinion on Amazon this year then? The 700 isn't as discouraging as the fact that a few months ago it was in the 500's. I'm always worried about buying a stock right before it soars down a large margain.

I'll check both of those sites you suggested though. I like the idea of relying on tech as it's a little more up my alley. Maybe I'll start pulling some into tech companies and futureproofing my investments in assets that look like they'll only become more prominant in the future. Thanks for all your advice, investanon
>>
>>686732870
If that's cool with you? I have to go soon and threads die off eventually. Would be good to be in touch.

I'd like to expand further into the ideas you have presented.
>>
>>686732874
work your ass off. that is literally the only common thread i've seen amongst successful people.

so many people think that it's just sons of rich people, and they use that as an excuse for not going out there and trying to make it happen for themselves.
>>
>>686732896
i like it very long-term, which is why i'm heavy into it. it's up on the basis of last quarter's earnings, but that's fine, since i think they can repeat that since they've got so many advantages:

1. almost all retail sales is going online, amazon dominates
2. amazon has unparalleled logistics, will likely start to handle shipments and processing for other people
3. amazon is probably the #1 r&d investor in drones and autonomous delivery systems

add 1+2+3 and you've got a company that is the world's biggest store, is the host for ~60% of the web, and just put UPS out of business
>>
>>686732957
sure, here you go: [email protected]
>>
Say you have 0 dollars to your name and you inherited 100k what would you do with it knowing what you know now?
>>
can you buy me an awp hyper beast? i havent spent a single dollar oppening cases. please op
>>
>>686732874
>
Is the Stock market something good to invest in? It looks like a great way to make money
>>
>>686733481
i'd start a 401k, but 90k into that. i'd take the 10k, and:

1. if i had the skill set to do so, start my own business
2. if not #1, take the 10k and train myself in a fast growing area (data science, etc.) so that i can eventually do #1
>>
>>686733630
getting way tired, last question. anyone else can use my burner.

for your question, only if you know what you're doing. no one else on earth is the difference between what the pros know and what the amateurs knows higher than in the stock market.

if you don't, and you don't feel like you can research a specific sector to become an expert on, stick to mutual funds and indexes.
>>
>>686722861
post ten comodities and stocks you'll invest in for next 2 months
>>
>>686733799
thank you everyone, have a good night!
>>
>>686733275
That's a few good points. I think I'll either throw a few thousand at it as a place holder, or wait a little, watch the news and hope it sinks a little lower before I sink actual green into it. It'd be nice to have a stock that released dividends or interest payments but also looked future proof. It's discouraging to buy into stocks that are already so high, but I don't see a chance in it dropping too much in the future so maybe I need to swallow my nerves and just sink my fangs into it now.
>>
>>686733888
nice trips
>>
>>686733408
Thank you. Emailed :)
>>
>>686732318
Well then it's a good thing I live in Canada. There's been some murmurs of it here and some trials being conducted.

I get what you're saying and I do have a passion in video games but having observed the industry I don't currently believe I could create anything of value. There are too many good games I could play instead of developing my own and too many shovelware titles my product would join if I didn't feel in the right mood to create. I believe that one day I could create, but not at this point in time. I need time and direction otherwise it's not worth it. I don't care about the money, only that I create something I personally enjoy.

I appreciate the advice but it still feels like I'm in the middle of a journey of personal discovery and that I just need to keep going on my own path to have the potential to one day bring something of importance to others.

That or wait until the apocalypse. We should be on schedule for that.
>>
>>686732688
OK thank you anyway to get a solid jib during college besides internships
>>
>>686733851
check dem emails :) and thank you!
>>
>>686728937
helpful? ur not ducking Warren buffet. duck off with ur generic "rich quick scheme" bullshit. no sled respecting tichfag truly invests in the stock market nowdays. retard.
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.