[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discussion thread: Science Fiction or Fantasy? I'll start:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: HP.jpg (114 KB, 901x600) Image search: [Google]
HP.jpg
114 KB, 901x600
Discussion thread:
Science Fiction or Fantasy?
I'll start:
>Fantasy
>>
File: aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg (31 KB, 419x261) Image search: [Google]
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg
31 KB, 419x261
>>
>>682939220
Isn't science fiction kind of a fantasy in a sense that it doesn't exist?
>>
>>682939220

>I'll start:
>Fantasy

Wow, you fucked up really fast...
>>
>>682939465
>>682939622
I gotta admit that i don't hate Science Fiction nor do i not like it. It is just the thing that i like fantasy more than sci-fi.
>>
I think I'm more of a scifi fan.
>>
File: 1412871646625.jpg (11 KB, 212x232) Image search: [Google]
1412871646625.jpg
11 KB, 212x232
How bout a mix of both?
>>
File: 360_tattoine_0914.jpg (19 KB, 360x235) Image search: [Google]
360_tattoine_0914.jpg
19 KB, 360x235
this ?
>>
>>682939220
>>Discussion thread:
>>says 'Fantasy'
you call that a discussion?
State why you choose fantasy over Science Fiction. All you did was type a few words to make a shitty prompt.
>>
>>682941318
I started the discussion. I didnt try to make a point.
>>
to my understanding science-fiction is based on altered or fictionally enhanced physical laws, enhanced technology and often based on special inventions or speculations. so science-fiction tries to explain the world it takes place in, in a scientific way. often science-fiction takes a look on different societies, too.
fantasy however simply sets up a model where things work in a way, that they can not be scientifically explained.

Mixtures of both genres are possible and quite common.

harry potter, lord of the rings etc. go to fantasy, star wars could be a mixture, star trek is sci-fi
>>
>>682941712
and as i obviously got the question wrong: I like both genres, but not all works.
Both genres tend to overact in many works, so I like the more comprehensible works.
>>
File: BOTH.jpg (505 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
BOTH.jpg
505 KB, 1400x1050
Both nigga
>>
>>682942088
good example for a mixture.
but what's about the race-thing?
>>
File: wayne_haag_01.jpg (272 KB, 1178x434) Image search: [Google]
wayne_haag_01.jpg
272 KB, 1178x434
science fiction is actually likely to happen unlike fantasy

science fiction is superior nigga
>>
>>682942186
what do you mean? Race-thing?
>>
Science Fiction, mainly anything with cyberness in it. Although a mixture does mean technomancers, so..... hmm....
Technomancers from high science, no magic here no sir! Science fiction it is!
>>
>>682941712
Star Wars is science fantasy nigga. They don't even attempt to make anything remotely scientifically accurate, it has much more in common with LOTR than it does with Star Trek

And science fantasy is the only true answer to OP's shitty discussion.
>>
>>682942297
>nigga

>>682942705
i'd presume science fantasy is a mixture of science fiction and fantasy, and that's what I just said.
>>
File: 1410010498591.jpg (458 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1410010498591.jpg
458 KB, 1920x1080
sci-fi discusses themes and humanity
fantasy OG LOOK HOW COOL THIS IS AND THIS HAPPENED BECAUSE OF MAGIC!
>>
>>682942705
OP here. I would really like to see some movies of that genre. Do you have some besides Star Wars and Star Trek?
>>
File: 1462549501059.jpg (71 KB, 723x894) Image search: [Google]
1462549501059.jpg
71 KB, 723x894
im a douche
>>
>>682942969
good idea, but implementation lacks some quality points. also it's "science-horror": event horizon.
>>
>>682942969
Unfortunately it's a fairly sparse genre. I can't even think of any other movie examples. Saga is a really good science fantasy comic though.
>>
>>682943140
OP here. Just saw the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THxBHDsgTDw
And it looks pretty amazing. Gonna watch it soon, thanks, /b/ro.
>>
>>682943876
glad I could help. as I said I really like the idea behind this film, but they could've made it a bit better in terms of dramaturgy.
Just give it a try
>>
>>682942282
>science fiction is actually likely to happen
You're telling me Star Wars is actually likely to happen?

And just because something is likely to happen doesn't make it better. By your logic a thriller is better than science fiction because it's more likely to happen you retard.

Fantasy doesn't even need to have elves and dwarfs and all that shit to be fantasy.
Fantasy can have everything.
Romance,crimi,horror and even science fiction. Plus a fucking dragon.

Fantasy is better because fantasy can be everything it doesn't have the restrictions of other genres.
>>
>>682939220

Instant faggot

fantasy is about fairies and shit

science fiction is about fucking space motherfucker, go fuck yourself
>>
>>682944633
Star Wars is a fantasy film
>>
>>682944633

It depends on what kind of science fiction you are talking about. Some stuff is bullshit technomagic fantasy like star wars and warhammer 40k, but there is a large amount of science fiction written that strictly adheres to the currently known laws of physics, the kind of thing that makes me rage when I see the "science fiction/fantasy" section at book stores. I just find ponderous stories taking place over hundreds of years to accommodate interstellar travel more interesting than the 4 billionth novel about an edgy fag who needs to kill a dragon to get his dick wet
>>
>>682939220
magic and science have no common ground. it falls into the realm of science to disprove the existence of magic, and magic does not respect the empirical laws of science.

fortunately i've never even picked up one of the books, never mind wasted money on the movies

but science is based on hard core truth, and science fiction is based on extrapolation from the present to the future and requires the use of technology
magic is based on ancient or arcane beliefs that one can change the universe without anything more than the utterance of a few words and the wave of a wand. like religion.

thus, OP, it falls into the realm of fantasy.
>>
>>682945415
I have to second that.
Many works of Science-Fiction, written over the last centuries already happened partially today. Of cause, you can't make accurate predictions. Many sci-fi writers however, pick special (often not very public) events or developments and fictionally evolve them to a state where these things have great influences and sometimes they partly predict the future in their works.
>>
>>682944916
>science fiction is about fucking space
not always, faggot.

although one has to admit that very little science fiction is based anywhere else, the space opera format is not exclusive.

there's a lot of sci-fi/fantasy crossover that depends heavily on science to set up the fictional work and to maintain the plot, although usually the scientific reality of the magic is what drives the plot.

writing fantasy is for lazy writers; it depends very little on the mechanics behind the science, and if one were to expose the reason why the magic works it wouldn't be magic anymore.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.