[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Space elevator thread. Post your thoughts about the space elevator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 6
File: 5756484-3x2-940x627.jpg (88 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
5756484-3x2-940x627.jpg
88 KB, 940x627
Space elevator thread.
Post your thoughts about the space elevator designs and the idea itself.
>>
>>680143311
its a fascinating idea to be honest and it would literally change space travel forever. but is it practical?
>>
Wouldn't the gforce of the Eat the rotation tear a structure like that apart?
>>
I think it is too much trouble. Launch loop seems more feasible and I think hyper loop is a step in that direction.
>>
a space elevator would make it much easier to colonize the solar system, but is humanity ready to expand to other planets?

we still have people in africa killing each other with machetes. there are still people in america who believe that praying to jesus can cure broken limbs and even genetically inherited diseases.

imagine those stupid monkeys loose in the solar system.
>>
>>680143625
no. it would hold it up. do you even centripetal acceleration?
>>
>>680143625
if the material the elevator is made of is capable of dealing with the horizontal force exerted then no
maybe there will be those propellant at certain points to create a similar rotation
>>
>>680143831
No I don't. Could you explain it a little more for me? Also thanks for answering.
>>
>>680143625
This
Unless they rigged a method of acceleration to stay in sync with earths movement. But thats not practical and I feel like it would use to much resource.
Not to mention factoring in variables like debri in space colliding with it and destroying it that way too.

>Tl;DR
To many ways to break
Cheaper to use shuttles
>>
>>680143792

The CIA will refine aids, they'll be gone soon anon.
>>
I've always wondered about how doing this would change the earths center of mass slightly. Would that affect our rotation?
>>
>>680143792
But anon my prayers are answered through the good doctor his hand was guided by jesus
>>
>>680144069
wouldn't the fact that it's in space (vacuum) facilitate acceleration? Also for me the problem is purely safety; that shit could be targeted fairly easily
>>
>>680144069
It would be in geocentric orbit, fool.

>>680143792
We have to survive. Just don't bring those niggers. They don't want to go anyway. We just have to be weary not to fall into the trap of bringing them up for cheap labor, or let a damn apologist try to convince them they know what's best for them and force them up there.
>>
>>680144188
yes, probably just a few milimeters a year
>>
Never going to happen; the weight of the structure would cause it to collapse on itself, it would be incredibly unstable, and there's no cable system in existence that would reach the distance you're talking about. And that's just the basic problems.
>>
>>680144188
In a very negligible way. The structure would be a very, very small fraction of the earth's mass. To put it into perspective, you actually affect the earth's orbit when you jump. You mom does more so.
>>
>>680144330
Yes the thought did cross my mind that could be possible but you still have debri collision to worry about assuming your hypothesis is correct
>>
>>680144345
that area is too crowded isnt it?
>>
>>680143311
when it breaks it wraps around the earth destroying everything in it path. and it will break.
>>
>>680144454
lol zizzle!
>>
>>680144454
Jumping doesn't impact orbit. Where the hell did you pull that from?
>>
>>680144345
But muh debris collision
Basically OP is asking how can this be practical
>>
>>680144431
i'm sure they wouldn't use cables, since this is some really futuristic stuff, by the time we can build a space elevator we will be able to use lasers and sunsails to move the cabin
>>
>>680144069
Well IF we will get the materials needed for the tether, then the rest is not as hard as you may think.

You don't need acceleration. The tether must me over 35000km long to reach geostationary orbit. Then you go beyond that and place a lot of mass on the far end of it. Thanks to math, you can get a stable state where the part beyond GEO cancels the downward force if the part from earth to GEO.

Debris in space is not a problem really, in LEO it is unstable and burns in the atmo, in MEO there is not much, in GEO we can clear the old sattelites no problem.

So if we are able to get it into orbit and then deploy, on the long run, it should be cheaper than shuttles/rockets.

Also, I doubt any shuttle will be cheaper than a two-stage full-recovery fast-turnaround rocket.
>>
>>680144609
It isn't. Clearly.
>>
>>680144059
okay. fill a bucket with water. swing it back and forth until you can swing it all the way around.

why doesn't the water fall out? inertia. the water is trying to move in a straight line, but your arm and the bucket are forcing it to move in a circle.

acceleration is a change in velocity. that can be a change of how fast it's moving or a change in direction.
>>
>>680144454
5 star post
>>
>>680144243

http://wonkette.com/600753/jesuss-health-plan-sucks

In just one incident, when he was 12, Hoyt broke his ankle during a wrestling tryout. “I ended up shattering two bones in my foot,” he said. His parents approached the situation with the usual Followers remedies – rubbing the injury with “rancid olive oil” and having him swig on Kosher wine.

Intermittently, they would have him attempt to walk. Each time, “my body would just go into shock and I would pass out.”

“I would wake up to my step-dad, my uncles and the other elders of the church kicking me and beating me, calling me a fag, because I didn’t have enough faith to let God come in and heal me, while my mom and my aunts were sitting there watching. And that’s called faith healing.”
>>
>>680144733
I think this is bait
>>
>>680144529
No. And.. it has to go there. Any many of a space elevator brings the central mass at geocentric orbit with a counter weight on the other side.

>>680144569
There're probably tricks around that. I'd say the thicker base should be in a desert away from a population anyway, which is twofold - better weather in the west deserts as well. Also, other parts could break away in certain directions and/or self destruct.

>>680144582
Physics, fool. A bird flying overhead affects the earth's orbit in the smallest way.

>>680144609
All spacecraft deal with debris. That's not new. And it's the most practical way to bring massive amounts of supplies and people in the cheapest way.
>>
>>680144345
>Just don't bring those niggers. They don't want to go anyway.

but y'all can bring as many of thum Branch Dildonians as y'all wants, right? they's good ole boys. they's WHITE.
>>
>>680144994
I didnt think you would actually bite
>>
>>680145001
what about something like an orbital city?
the spacecrafts are built there and docked there. kind of like an airport but for travel
>>
A cheaper method of sending shit to space is probably mass drivers, i.e. railguns that shoot shuttles instead of using hydrogen fuel for initial launch. Orbital elevators won't be a thing because getting all of that shit into orbit isn't the problem, it's connecting all of that crap to the foundation on earth.
>>
File: wat_deathbulge.jpg (71 KB, 179x179) Image search: [Google]
wat_deathbulge.jpg
71 KB, 179x179
>>680144996
i think this has to be bait. not even Americans could be this fucking ignorant.

FORCE = MASS TIMES ACCELERATION

either that or you're too young to be on this website.
>>
>>680145001
The amount of material to construct this plus paid man hours and you say cheaper ? Do you know how much time would have to pass IF this was sucessful for the overhead to be profitable using this new method of transporting people and material this way? And factor in maintainence.
>>
>>680145070
ah, the classic fuck-up backpedal. that's okay, you can pray to Jeebus while i take these yummy pills THAT WORK.
>>
>>680145068
I don't know who the Dildonians are, but I don't want them either. Unfortunately, we'll probably be stuck with the hipsters up there too. The likely groups would be:

>engineers
>alpha explorers
>entrepreneurs
>hipsters

>>680145104
That's the point. The central mass should be a hub of sorts. It would be a space station exporting and importing goods and people to and from other places, at first the moon, mars, and Europa.
>>
>>680145338
They only work because you think they do.
>>
>>680143792
The only thing that would *maybe* bring us all together would be some manner of extraterrestrial threat such as an asteroid impact, alien invasion, etc.
>>
>>680145477
Or a mass lobotomy.
>>
Its impossible, theres no material strong enough to support it
>>
>>680145324
Constructing the thing is already a nightmare. Connecting 35000km++ of material in an upright tube that has to be able to transport several freight containers at a time in an environment that is affected by gravity doesn't seem feasible in the least.
>>
>>680145559
It could be a cable held under pressure.
>>
>>680145612
Good luck getting the cable up there and connecting it down here.
>>
>>680145565
what about starting the build from the top down and maybe like in the ionosphere or something we create some sort of flying base which connects to the elevator
are flying bases possible?
>>
>>680145338
Wait you authentically believe im religious.
You actually are going to provide every response to you in regards to this with a passionate rebuttal.
I apologize that context of sarcasm is hard to send through text but I assumed opening with "but anons muh (insert related topic)" something something more shitpost sarcasm.

10/10 for counter trolling me into believing that You're serious about thinking im serious.
>>
>>680145324
No, that's what a preliminary analysis and an economic feasibility analysis is for once we get a feasible material to build it out of.. or some sort of technological breakthrough. Then you price accordingly.

I'd say if we could mass produce a material that is better than carbon graphite, like nanotubes, it wouldn't be too expensive of an investment. Not just that, but we would be making an elevator 26 miles tall, and putting a counterweight beyond it. The united states' mexican border has way more wall than that right now, and new york's subway systems have multitudes of material and labor over this project.
>>
>>680145780
We can make it in space form ores in asteroids.
We're talking about a distant future remember.
>>
Wouldn't the elevator just divide in two parts due to the g force and the atmosphere of earth ?
>>
>>680145827
Now you're making it even more expensive and unfeasible
>>
File: Banana.gif (87 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Banana.gif
87 KB, 250x250
>>680143311
space pollution is a big problem. there are so many dead satellits or rocket parts out there
>>
>>680145827
Doesn't solve the problem of not being able to control where the cable flops about once it hits the atmosphere. You could stick a billion ships and thrusters around the end to keep it still but that's a huge drain on resources that could be used on something else.

>>680145881
See above. Resources that could be used to make an orbital elevator are better used making more shuttles and mass rail drivers to launch them with. Rail drivers are more feasible because we already have the technology and just need some way to dampen inertia enough to make humans not turn into soup during the initial acceleration.
>>
>>680146096
okay what about just creating the part that will be in orbit. we can use shuttles / rail guns / whatever now and create the elevator when we can
>>
>>680146234
>>680146256
>>
>>680145881
And do you know how fast those asteroids are moving to land on one
>Inb4 Armageddon movie
>>
>>680143311
the base would have to be built on one hell of a stable piece of land, safe from earthquakes, flooding, freezing, etc
>>
>>680146362
Could always build a platform.
>>
That monent when you realize /b/ had an intellligent conversation without puppers/gfur/fluffy abuse/bannanas/loli/shota/incest/faces of b and other numerous faggotry
>>
>>680146256
The whole idea of an orbital elevator is silly. First, you need enough material to make one. Second, you need a large space in the middle of a landlocked area that isn't close to fault lines, volcanos or in an area prone to storms that is also solid for the foundation.

Next, you need to connect it from orbit where things are moving at stupid velocities and the surface where there's the atmosphere meaning air resistance. All of that means that it's going to be a pain in the neck making sure that the free end or ends during construction don't flop around so you can connect them to each other. The material has to be rigid in order for this to happen, but if it is too rigid inclement weather can cause it to snap from stress.

tl;dr, use shuttles instead. Orbital elevators are a cool idea but they won't make it off the drawing board.
>>
I think we need to think outside the atmostphere. We should start manufacturing in space or on the moon.. small scale. Modular building materials. Start by a small nuke on the moon. To make a crater.. cover it with a dome. Bam moon base. Make use of robotics and unmanned vehicles to gather resources. We can do so much more if we avoid the earths gravity.
>>
>>680146657
And than you came and ruined it. Thanks anon.
>>
isn't practical imo, but i'm not going to stop anyone who wants to try and build it either. there's got to be a better way to get people into space easier than a rocket.

a little unrelated but i think we should build something like the halo ring, where we can build everything in space. no need having to send it up in pieces on a rocket.
>>
>>680146613
And spend even more money and resources on an already expensive and resource intensive project?
>>
>>680146740
yet
>>
>>680146809
Maybe it would be cheaper in the future?
>>
>>680146748
Irradiate a space then put people and valuable objects into that concentrated radiation.
Wat?
>>
File: Untitled.png (12 KB, 388x279) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
12 KB, 388x279
what about this?
>>
>>680146841
>>680146913
It doesn't matter when we get the technology to make this a reality because this is always going to be even more expensive than building a bunch of shuttles with a more efficient method of reaching orbit. By the time we get rocket technology able to ensure that a several gigaton tube of metal isn't moving around enough to connect it to a landmass, that rocket technology would be more than enough to break atmosphere by itself without breaking a sweat. It becoming cheaper isn't the problem, it's that it's always going to be even more expensive than improvements on what we already have.
>>
>>680146913
Yeah, we just need to find the right material and get it right the first time. That's all. No doubt we can engineer it.

Once we do, I'm sure others will spring up, bigger than the last one. The amount of space travel will be insane. There'd be a lot of commerce out there too.

>tourism
>mining
>dining
>intellectual property
>low G R&D
...the list goes on.
>>
Youd be surprised how fast radiation disapates in space.
>>
>>680147091
The moon isn't in geosynchronous orbit. That cable would snap within a week.
>>
>>680147091
Except the moon revolves around the earth not with the earth
>>
>>680147091
The moon isn't staring straight onto earth, it wobbles around.
Also, the obvious one, IT'S NOT GEOSATIONARY!
>>
>>680147186
see >>680147162
It isn't going to happen because rockets and maybe eventually mass drivers will always be the cheaper and more efficient option.
>>
>>680147091
Oh shit nigger what are you doing? You'll have to put the base on a track and jump on that fucker going hundreds of miles per hour. Not to mention that you're probably one of those that severely underestimate the distance of the moon because you take diagrams in school as if they're proportionally correct.
>>
>>680143311
They're basically telling you that the Earth is flat by proposing space elevators.
>space elevators implies that nothing is orbiting/moving
>>
>>680147364
Lets not forget
>>680147229
Or anything
>>
>>680147408
The point of a space elevator is that the top orbits around, and the thing connecting it to the surface is a cable under pressure.
>>
>>680147326
That's a possibility. Elon Musk and Richard Branson are banking on it. It could just be another failed technology that never took flight like how we look at odd contraptions from the 1920's. But.. it would be nice to have, and it may be possible in the future and more convenient.

They could be parallel evolutionary technologies and one beats the other out, like LED's and plasma... we just simply can't know yet. Too many variables. But for right now, rockets are the most feasible.
>>
>>680143511
Yes it is
>>
>>680143792
Yeah, because Jesus has never done anything for you
>>
>>680147698
the thread just debunked the whole idea though
>>
>>680147698
Elaborate its practicality
>>
>>680147756
I already baited someone with jesus go away
>>
>>680145867
I seriously think both of you are fags
>>
>>680147630
It's the most likely thing to work. We already have magnetic acceleration technology for bullet trains and railguns, and shuttles capable of atmospheric reentry and subsequent take off, albeit rocket-assisted. We just need to combine the two. There are two ways of doing it; finding a way to reduce the inertial g forces experienced by acceleration to levels that can be tolerated by humans, maybe eventually babies, or to build a maglev track long enough to accelerate to speeds allowing for atmospheric escape at forces tolerable by humans now.
>>
>>680147778
No you didn't. You can't debunk some shit that advanced technology could solve. You can only debunk shit no technology ever could solve.

>>680147918
Yeah it was me.

>>680147955
I just want to be able to move lots of supplies and people into space. As it stands currently, there's no ROI
>>
>>680147944
Is that why you wrote this
>>680147756
>Implying you arent
>>680145338
>>
Wouldnt rockets providing thrust in the opposite direction provide enough deceleration to make it tolerable for humans?
And why transport a babt why not just a male and female adult to make one at destinatiob
>>
>>680148098
There isn't but consider which would be more expensive;
>improvements and tweakings of technology we already have and is proven to work and can be readily constructed
or
>construction of an installation that has only appeared in speculative fiction, with materials that we currently do not have and construction methods which don't even exist theoretically and any speculation by people with even a basic knowledge of physics understand that it's an incredible undertaking that requires even more technology we don't have which can be used to further improve on option 1 to the extent that this option isn't even viable
>>
>>680148430
For travel. One day people want to bring their kids to space and making sure they can survive the process is quite important. Obviously the first lot will be people who can withstand greater accelerations than the average human.
>>
>>680148510
I'm not saying we can build it now. Are you suggesting the R&D for it would be a waste of money? Maybe. But I'm not saying we should throw heavy resources into R&D for it either. What I'm saying is when we get the technology, it might be more feasible. That technology could come by chance, or from a different industry. We're constantly playing with materials to see what they can do. We more infrequently take the approach of looking for a material for a specific purpose.
>>
no shitskins allow on this ride. how long till muh affirmative acyion yo
>>
>>680148997
Threads done cancer just popped in from trap thread
>>
>>680144650
>35000km long

a 35000 km cable is not that irrealistic, if you think about trans-oceanic fiber optic data cables.

the only true issue is space debris. you don't want a small screw screwing your cable after hitting it at 10 km/s.

>>680147091
the moon has an elliptical orbit and is not geosynced: is your cable elastic enough?

>>680147630
>Elon Musk and Richard Branson are banking on it

"Elon Musk" is faggots' preferred meme.
>>
>>680148912
The problem with your reasoning is that the material used isn't the biggest problem. It's the construction of the elevator itself. You're suggesting the construction of a big tube through fields of debris in orbit which will most like crash into the elevator because the elevator will descend into their orbits, not to mention other chunks of space debris that get caught in the earth's gravitational pull every now and again.

After that you still have to deal with the forces exerted from air resistance and changing wind patterns, and make sure all of that is over a giant landmass that isn't near any fault lines and safe from atmospheric storms where a foundation strong enough to support a superstructure of that scale is constructed. Building it from the ground up isn't much different either.

tl;dr Magic space elevator material isn't the problem, building it is. Rarely do people come up with construction methods by chance, they sit and think about how to do it and decide if it's worth the effort.
>>
>>680149354
He's actually not a meme. Donald Trump isn't either. Men like these are just highly effective people that get things done and we turn them into memes because of the information era. There's not a lot of behind the scenes people anymore. So just because someone's got celebrity status, doesn't mean they're worthless figure heads. Musk is actually fairly brilliant.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/05/elon-musk-the-worlds-raddest-man.html
>>
>>680149516
You just mentioned a dozen things that the right material would fix, fool. As for everything else, it's not beyond our normal engineering. Sure, it'd be a daunting task, but nothing to shit bricks over.
>>
File: maccaroni-fanboi-fbi.jpg (80 KB, 583x501) Image search: [Google]
maccaroni-fanboi-fbi.jpg
80 KB, 583x501
>>680149657

meme confirmed.

>everything science-related is "Elon Musk".
>wbw article is almost fan fiction
>>
>>680149826
Elaborate on how normal engineering would fix all of those problems then. Walk me through step by step how you'd construct an orbital elevator with this magic material of yours.
>>
>>680149977
Pay me and I will.
>>
>>680150064
>I don't know so if you pay me I'll figure it out
Fuck off. I ran you through how it won't work, so now burden of proof is on you to show that it will.
>>
>>680150143
My services aren't free, nigger
>>
>>680147550
Tension*
>>
>>680150175
Then go and find a job that pays for your services instead of participating in a speculative science discussion on a Mongolian throat singing forum.
>>
>>680150175
Here's a (You), it's worth a lot around these parts. Now go on.
>>
>>680143311
i can imagne it breaking off from too much tension, kinda like how an icicle would break if that makes sense
>>
they should make it out of glass.. chris ruperts drop or whatever. it wont break unless you break it
>>
we don't have the materials needed to build it though.
materials science is probably going to be the most important science of this century, not having a way to produce massive carbon nanotubes and sheets of graphene is holding us back from a shitload of technology
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 125x117) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 125x117
>wanna fuck my cousins and rape that bitch victoria

What

Whatwhatwhatwhat

Fu
Ni a go?
Wincest is discusting
>>
>>680150489
>construct a prince rupert's drop long enough to reach geostationary orbit
Not fucking likely.
>>
>>680146362
we can already build skyscrapers with foundations that protect from earthquakes, shouldn't be too hard
>>
It would ground out the magnetic field and create the largest lightning bolt ever made. It would dissolve anything used to make the elevator.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.