[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a Buddhist anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 14
File: hvid-buddha.jpg (78 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
hvid-buddha.jpg
78 KB, 800x800
Ask a Buddhist anything
>>
>>679639303
How's 9th grade going? Any tests next week?
>>
>>679639303
What liberal arts degree do you plan on getting? Also did you get your mandatory coexist bumper sticker yet?
>>
>>679639497
9th grade is ten years past friend. I'm a lawyer now.
>>
>>679639303
is life nothing but suffering?
>>
>>679639303
Om mani padme hum??
>>
>>679639303
>Jesus Christ was not a Christian
>Buddha was not a Buddhist

why is anon not known as himself?
>>
>>679639621
My answer to this is almost the same as above. I can tell, that I started my educational life as a landscape gardener student, then switched to high school, then law school.
>>
>>679639807
To live is to experience suffering, among other tings. The suffering is what must be overcome though
>>
>>679639826
Om santi santi santi ;)
>>
>>679639303
How do you seek continuing education on the Buddha? Genuine question.
>>
>>679639970
so can we live without suffering?
>>
>>679640119
As a human? No
>>
>>679639831
Buddha (re)discovered the dhamma. To take refuge in the buddha, the dhamma and the sangha is being a buddhist.

Christianity is different. Jesus was a jew, and came to tell that the world was about to end. The jews who believed him became the first christians after his death.
>>
>>679640257
what a terribly gloomy outlook on life
>>
>>679639734
A "buddhist" lawyer, you lawyers want to be anything but lawyers.
You're not a buddhist, you are one of those buddhist wannabe, who maditate but does not search enlightenment, and applies the buddhist doctrine at a mediocre lvl. Do you think you have become unattached to everything, or do you just do buddhism to talk about it in you snobs parties?
>>
>>679640060
I study the tripitaka, I answer your questions and I practice the path
>>
File: image.jpg (359 KB, 1663x2495) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
359 KB, 1663x2495
Bump
>>
Hello
>>
>>679640119
>>679640257

The cessation of suffering (dukha) is the end goal - nirvana. So yes, other anon is not wholly correct
>>
>>679640335
>came to tell the world is about to end
>that was saint john not Jesus
Tyypical lawyer who is bored of his life
>>
>>679640420
It's actually rather rewarding. Right now I'm taking a risk that's paying off fairly well in my career because I figure if I suffer at my job now, any direction that I further pursue will have similar suffering. I believe it helps me rid myself of the fear of failure that might otherwise hold me back.
>>
>>679640437
I follow the path to the best of my ability. I have not reached nirvana, which I do not think I will. It is not the same as saying, that treading the path is without value.
I like being a lawyer too :)
>>
>>679640548
what do you do after nirvana?
>>
>>679639303
What's the deal with taking off shoes inside of buildings.
I know the obvious is to keep inside floor clean
>>
>>679640653

In religions class (eight years ago), we were taught, that Jesus aka Messiah came as a sign that the end times were neigh. I wasn't incorrect on purpose.
>>
>>679640661
>use buddhism to achieve his ambitions and make more money
Thats not how it work, buddhism liberates you from the need sensation of needing money, not helps you get it.
>>
>>679640661
so you think that by suffering you cleanse yourself of fear?

seems to me that the more a person suffers, the more he fears and not vice versa
>>
>>679640661
I am not OP btw
>>
File: 270759buddha.jpg (109 KB, 1269x654) Image search: [Google]
270759buddha.jpg
109 KB, 1269x654
>>679639303
Serious questions I've been wondering for a long time:

Can you explain what happens when you die, where do you go?
Also, where do you go when you do good things and where do you go when you do bad things?

And last question: is this quote legit or is it made by the internet?
>pic related
>>
>>679640847
Hang around I guess :)

>>679640861
I think that is more of an Asian thing. In my country shoes often stay on, but it depends on the occasion.
>>
>>679641064
Interesting
>>
>>679639303
Can Jet fuel melt steel beams
>>
>>679639303
How many organisms have you killed today?
>>
>>679641064
and the hanging around doesnt entail any suffering?

so let me get this straight, you admit that life is nothing but suffering, to escape the suffering, and then end up suffering even if you hit nirvana? since no man is immune to suffering, via the body and etc
>>
>>679640944
Right, so I'll only use religion in the way that ancient scripts and Internet folks say I should.....

Or I could just follow the Buddha, who encourages people to follow their own truth rather than relying on truths repeated by others. The Buddha said to follow the light within oneself, even if it disagrees with the buddha
>>
>>679639303
Why are you a buddist?
>>
>>679639892

Another Buddhist here. I have a master degree in quantitative finance, I work in a bank. And I don't have a coexist bumper sticker, since I'm not a huge fan of multiculturalism.
>>
>>679641040
I do not know where I go. It is not really paramount to the teachings. The teaching about rebirth is very important both as a metaphor and in a literal sense.

In the metaphorical sense, one goes to hell or heaven, the place of hungry ghosts and numerous other places depending on actions. Those are states of mind.

I do not know if the quote is correct word for word, but it is a teaching of the Buddha in it's whole.
>>
>>679640969
I hear what you're saying in a traditional sense, but the Buddhist concepts of suffering and fear are not as ugly and burdensome as you might imagine them to be. It is similar to the acceptance of death I suppose. Once you accept suffering and death as inevitable, your little fears of what if this and what if that tend to float away, and allow you to pursue the four noble truths more readily
>>
>>679641473
but fear is required for moral judgements

in other words, if you dont have any fear of anything, you wont have any inclination to act in a moral way

so when you lose your fear you lose your morality, you lose the fear of suffering and hence you lose the desire for the cessation of suffering
>>
>>679641184
I do not know.

>>679641192
Also - don't know. Many probably.

>>679641231
Life is not only suffering. To live is to experience suffering. To end the suffering is to reach nirvana (among other things). Suffering is in the mind, it is how we conceive the world. The Buddha was once hurt in the foot (of all places). He experienced pain, but not suffering.
>>
>>679641643
so what do you do after nirvana?

just walk around all happy like?
>>
>>679639303
if you want to find enlightenment stop searching. Its as simple and as hard as that
>>
>>679641265
The Buddha really did not teach, that one should find ones own truth. One is free to do so of course, but his teaching is the teaching of the deathless, not the teaching of "whatever you feel like, mange".
>>
>>679641643
to live is to experience suffering

to be alive is to live

therefore to live is to suffer

am i incorrect?
>>
>>679641297
I had anger issues and sought a solution. Came upon meditation, found that meditation as we know it from psychology is actually a Buddhist practice. Looked up Buddhism, got caught. Studied on/off for six years, slowly applied the principles to my life. One day told myself: "gosh darnit. OK, you are a Buddhist"...
>>
>>679641739
That is how I imagine it. It's what the Buddha did, and the few other enlightened ones
>>
File: O.jpg (213 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
O.jpg
213 KB, 894x894
>>679641416
Thanks for your answers, it's very interesting.

Do you mind to develop what you just said if you have a few minutes for me?
Especially about the metaphor and the literal sense.
Thank you!
>>
>>679639303
>>679639970
>>679640257
>>679640661
retard, this anon is right >>679640437
You do understand, that in buddhism, there is no "suffering", it is not a punishemnt, not a karma backfiring to avenge you for the harm you have done others, no.
You also don't "suffer" from your work, you just want to be sorry for yourself, because you still are influenced fully by your emotions, you don't control them, they control you.
The suffering you percieve as a bad thing, is actually lessons, you hit a dog, someone will hit you, not because you are punished, but because you could see harm you are doing, so that you could feel it on your own skin.
You would understand fully what you are doing.
>>679640740
You will reach to nirvana after you have got all the lessons you chose to have, when you know and experienced everything, you won't reach nirvana here, you will reach it after death.
>>
>>679642067
and they didnt suffer?

they didnt feel fear or anguish or pain or hunger?

then they werent human!
>>
>>679641897
Well, that is one kind of logic. I'm not sure reductionism is key here, but it's close enough to be of some value, I guess.
>>
>>679641616
Realistically, fear will never really go away. I still have morals. Buddhism isn't really a supernatural construct, it's very realistic and grounded, so if you fear or suffer, or experience any of these things that Buddhism strives to understand, it's OKAY because these things are normal. I won't be without them simply because I've identified as Buddhist. Just observe. Watch yourself suffer. Accept it, be curious about how it feels and watch it leave your body after some time.
>>
Why are you there and not looking for the truth?
>>
>>679642105
You mixed anon and OP. OP is the two top answers and the last one. I am OP. I am sorry, I cannot answer this since it is based on a misconception.
Usually when I make this thread, it only takes two minutes before a pretender also answers. I think is is usually easy to tell who is me and who is not, but this time it isn't.
>>
File: 1430482099944.png (31 KB, 1000x407) Image search: [Google]
1430482099944.png
31 KB, 1000x407
>>679639303
Do you visit a temple or self practicing? Westerners do not understand this at all and is a taboo where I'm from, southern USA...
>>
>>679642225
its modus ponens lol

there is only "logic", logic is entirely self contained, there are no contradictions in logic

>>679642245
how can buddhism say on one hand "fear will never go away" and then on the other say "you should strive to be without fear"

isnt that pointless?
>>
>>679642092
When we change mood, state of mind, states in life etc. it is all due to past karma (action) having a result (vipaka). Those rebirths into different states of mind etc can be of different natures - good or bad in some way.
In traditional Buddhism there is also a belief in literal rebirth, that is the continuation of karmic results (ripening) after death of one, which influences another. Like sending a package with stuff to another person.
>>
>>679641040
OP is a retard, couldn't even answer it, basically take this life like a computer game, where you need to learn, do some missions and acquire knowledge.
Before you came here, let's say you wanted to feel how depseration feels, how is it to lose love and be longing for it, seeing people betray and use you, at this moment you wanted to try out this game, how this life will go and what will it teach you.
So you pick up a character, for this to work, you need a single mom or a father who left you and your mom, so you would think that it was because of you, if you now want fatherly love, you will seek it from other, clubs, "alpha" males and they will just use you, everytime someone will use you, the mind will get more desperate and the desperation sets in, you're on your path, you can change it, if you say, fuck it I don't want that path anymore I understand that it's wrong and I got all my knowledge from it, or if someone helps you get your shit together, life always helps you if you want it, you just don't see the ways, or don't see the situation that needs taking.
>>
>>679642151
They did, but they did not suffer from it. They merely felt it. You could look up the story where the Buddha hurt his foot (I think he was shot with an arrow but Im not sure)
>>
>>679642454
well fuck it, the idea of these threads is to spread knowledge, it isn't important who wrote what, at least I gave knowledge and others got it
The only thing that matters
>>
>>679642640
I am European, actually. I practice by myself.
>>
>>679642819
ok well it seems that this is coming down to the definition of a word "suffering"

it seems contradictory for me to say on the one hand "life entails suffering" and then on another to say "but not for these guys"

suffering is a result of our physical bodies, not our own judgements about things, its impossible not to suffer as a human
>>
>>679642701
I'm not certain if the Buddha said you can't be without fear. I'm not particularly devout but I'm not sure. Suffering is the one we cannot be without. Fear can indeed be overcome though
>>
File: 1429368984324.jpg (144 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1429368984324.jpg
144 KB, 800x600
>>679639303
Recommend any books for self practicing?
>>
>>679642883
I do not agree. Some people have personal questions for me (OP). You can answer of course, but in order to not confuse readers, you should ID yourself as anon. The confusion is evident from anons who quote several anons and me too.
>>
>>679643198
ok well then just replace the word "fear" with "suffering"
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 232x217) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 232x217
>>679639303

The heart harkened, and he was enlightened.
>>
>>679643334
i think its funny that buddhism talks so highly of "nirvana" and then fails to describe how one should act when under "nirvana" or what it exactly entails or how one sustains it throughout the rest of one's life

seems like impossibilities on top of impossibilities
>>
>>679643010
That is because "suffering" is a bad translation of the word "dukha" which has a lot of meanings.
It could also have been "stress" or "distress" or other unpleasantries.
From the suttas there is evidence, that the Buddha did feel physical pain, hence suffering is not physical pain, but the way we deal with physical pain.
>>
>>679643512
ok well im not going to argue about the definition of a word

saying something like "pain is not suffering" is just getting a little too ridiculous for me
>>
>>679643216
I recommend Good Question Good Answer and Access to Insight, which are both online for free. Access to Insight is found as an app too. It contains over 1000 suttas plus articles and study guides
>>
>>679643512
even if pain were completely determined by our mental faculties, our mental faculties are still determined by physiology, ie by our bodies
>>
>>679643267
Not the same thing though
>>
>>679643603
You are caught up in the word "suffering". In my native language it would be "lidelse", which is not the exact same as "suffering". In the same way "dukha" is not the same as either "lidelse" or "suffering", but it is close enough for general purposes. A full understanding requires that one sets aside differences in words and study how "dukha" is used in the scriptures.
>>
>>679643858
ok im not arguing that they are

>>679643879
sorry but my bullshit alarm is going off

i understand if you think that i'm not being subtle enough, but all this semantic talk about "which word is the right word to use" is completely useless to me
>>
File: image.gif (643 KB, 1203x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
643 KB, 1203x1200
>>679643472
There is no conclusion to strive for. The idea does not require effort in any sense of the meaning.
>>
File: 1429369143601.jpg (38 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1429369143601.jpg
38 KB, 460x460
>>679643644
Thanks based OP. You OPs are a rare breed.
>>
>>679643472
You are correct, nirvana is not directly described. It is experienced in part when meditating and reaching jhanas.
>>
>>679639303
Buddhists are great and bother nobody. Sure it's a weird pseudo-religion with unattainable goals, but they don't judge and they aren't smug like atheists or some agnostics. I'm a Christian myself because I think Jesus was a cool guy and I like having a god. But whatever tickles your pickle I guess.
>>
>>679641040
cont>>679642747
If you die, you will just convert into another life, just slightly different, with more possibilities and no boundaries you can choose a new game to play, new life or you can stay there and try to learn the lessons there, but it's harder for you to understand them vs experiencing them.
It's like a dream like state, where you can do anything you wish, talk to your relatives etc.

But there is a theory also, that it is like a dream like state, after dying, if you are very stressed out because of loans or other stuff that are bothering you, or you are a serial killer, then after you die, you will get into that mindstate that you are, drinking at a bar all day long for years?
You will see it in the "dream" and you will stay there until you will understand that you're dead and will detach yourself from this earthly life.
If you're not full of hate and harm doing, then you will understad that you died and everyhting is ok, you just move on.
"Suffering" and "bad" things are what keep us down and in prison like state, fear is the strongest of them.
>>
>>679643983
sounds like a piece of shit then

anything worth doing has to be done through hard work

to get there "without any effort" would be like a lie

>>679644045
so what do you do after you reach it then? thats what no one can answer for me
>>
>>679643822
It is not a mental faculty. As I said, the Buddha also experienced pain, but it did not trouble him - he did not suffer even though he was in pain.
>>
>>679639303
Why do anything at all?
>>
>>679644189
so you're saying "it didnt bother him because of his discipline"

in other words "it didnt bother him because of his mental faculties"
>>
File: KuwQ1kk.jpg (528 KB, 1264x2438) Image search: [Google]
KuwQ1kk.jpg
528 KB, 1264x2438
>>
>>679644189
besides, if "not caring" is the secret to nirvana, then i know a bunch of fucking enlightened people

seems to me that the opposite should be the case, only people who really care should be able to reach nirvana
>>
>>679639303
Name some good books to start
>>
>>679643980
I totally get you on this one. I come off as pedantic, but I'm just trying to convey the meaning of dukha.
Have you ever seen how a kid can react to pain differently according to how the parents react? If kid falls and hurts a knee, it will look to its parents. If a parent come running and start pampering and being sorry, the kid will cry. If the parent comes over and helps the kid up, giving a slight comfort, the kid will continue playing.
One kid will have learned that scraping a knee is really, really bad and will suffer much from the same injury next time it happens. The other kid will get up, say auch and continue playing. Even though the physical pain is the same for the two kids.
>>
Where do you go about learning about Buddhism I found a few online resources but where can I learn about it I've had some interest in it.
>>
>>679644112
It's goals in meditation are measurable by neurologists with FMRI. The dogmatic magical stuff is not so measurable, and therefore can be dismissed, but trying and learning some mindfulness meditation can put you in control of your emotions and your mind, to a greater degree (most likely) than without it.
>>
>>679644623
ok so they each make a separate judgment about pain, so what?
>>
>>679644772
*its goals....
>>
>>679644145
You don't do anything in particular. You just don't experience dukha. You are free from clinging and attachments. You are not reborn into other states of mind. You simply are. You eat, sleep and take a shit.
What do people do in the Christan heaven? Don't they just hang around and have barbecues and play the harp a lot? :)
>>
>>679644258
Why not do anything at all?
>>
>>679644968
i dont know what people do in heaven because its not "material" thats my whole problem with this "nirvana", its heaven extended into the physical realm, an impossibility

in Christianity you dont have a "nirvana", so the heavenly and worldly spheres remain distinct
>>
>>679644272
No, it did not bother him because he did not cling to a state of no-pain when he was in a state of pain.
>>
>>679644587
Good Question Good Answer from Buddhanet.net
>>
>>679644828
So one suffers and one does not
>>
>>679645125
but i thought you said he couldnt feel pain
>>
>>679644309
Saved.
>>
>>679645242
lol they both feel pain, they both may suffer down the road, they both make the same movement, just in different directions
>>
>>679644630
look for mindfulness meditation
to learn, listen to these podcasts:
https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/joseph-goldstein

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/joseph_sam_2

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/mindfulness-meditation-9
>>
>>679645249
I said he did feel pain. I also mentioned the sutta where he is hurt on his foot :)
>>
>>679639303
Vajrayana?
>>
>>679645391
theravada
>>
>>679645368
this should entertain some /b/ tards:

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-life
>>
OK GUYS I AM ABOUT TO PEEL POTATOES SO I MAY BE A LITTLE SLOW IN MY REPLIES
- OP
>>
>>679645377
ok so he felt pain as a result of his body

and he didnt suffer because of....what exactly?

anything must come as a result of his body
>>
>>679645249
buddhists monks aware of pain, and are mindful of it
>>
>>679645779
great, so is every other normal human
>>
I have this rat thing here, will it reach Nirvana?
>>
>>679645603
What are you going to do with the potatoes? what are you making?
>>
>>679645512
Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Boddhi Swaha?
>>
>>679645628
He did not suffer because he did not care for not hurting. He simply was. When you are in a line and get irritated, you experience dukha, the suffering of being irritated. You crave not being in a line. If you let go of that, the irritability will subside and you will not suffer from waiting in line anymore.
That is the state of mind we are talking about. You can try it out next time you hurt, are sick or otherwise in discomfort. Just notice it and leave it. You will feel better
>>
>>679642640
Is that picture serious?
>>
>>679645882
I think it's called stewed potatoes in English :)
>>
>>679646033
ok so he made a judgement about pain and in a way controlled how he felt about pain

this is all done through mental faculties, to say "i can feel the pain but i dont mind it" is simply a type of judgement
>>
>>679645817
well, it's different though. They observe it from the outside. You'll see monks self immolate and sit for quite some time before being overcome. Buddhists like the the Tibetan monks simply strive not to hate their chinese torturers;
http://freetibet.org/torture-tibet
>>
>>679646033
besides, there are varying degrees of pain, i doubt he could withstand the worst pain like he could withstand light pain
>>
>>679646275
Yes, I agree
>>
>>679646136
sounds tasty, what else in the stew?
>>
>>679646376
they dont see shit from outside because no one can leave their bodies, they are condemned to a subjective existence just like everyone else
>>
he who knows does not speak. he who speaks does not know
>>
>>679646415
and judgements are determined by our physiology, which is determined by our bodies

and our bodies dictate that we feel pain and suffer, regardless of who we are
>>
>>679646512
well, I don't agree with absolute pacifism that many buddhists seem to cling to, but for the rest of us, mindfulness meditation can help us remain calm on the inside, when things can otherwise be horrible on the outside.

Look how the buddha is always happy.
>>
>>679646415
basically what im saying is, its impossible to feel pain but not care about it, in a true sense

because our bodies dictate that we care about it, that is the reason it exists in the first place, the only way we can not care about it is if it doesnt exist in the first place
>>
>>679646475
Cream and cheese. It is cream stewed potatoes

>>679646649
Yes, it is not esoteric in nature it is a state.. kind of
>>
>>679646512
Being cognizant of pain and being cognizant of thoughts as they come and go is a part of the path to enlightenment. It is different than being constantly buffeted by every single pain and thought that comes to mind.
>>
>>679647253
when i think of "pain" i have a pretty good idea of what it means

and i dont have "little pains throughout the day" that isnt what i think of when i think of pain, i think of something big, like a bike wreck or a deep cut

i dont think real effort is needed on my part to "filter out" what is "really painful" and what is a little pain that im being "buffeted" by, the difference is quite clear
>>
Listen to this one, then you can ask intelligent questions later: https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/joseph-goldstein

There is absolute scientifically measurable differences in those that meditate vs those that do not
>>
>>679647456
OP again. There are real experiments showing that attitude is a big part of pain.
It cannot go away of course, but it is possible to not suffer because of it
>>
>>679647655
please, never use the words "suffer" or "pain" again in this thread, i will do the same

our bodies can be affected by our mood, but really our moods are just products of our bodies
>>
OP AGAIN. I AM BACK IN FIVE MINUTES. MUST GO SLICE POTATOES
>>
>>679647655
dubs of fact
>>
>>679647601
trying to prove something that should be "believed in" is disingenuous

in other words, its suspicious to want to 'prove" what one should really have faith in, the proof defies the faith
>>
>>679648116
I'm talking about an actual growth in grey matter that is measurable, not a dogmatism or belief of something different

Unlike religion that denies proof, buddhist meditation has shown it's good for humans.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/feeling-it/201309/20-scientific-reasons-start-meditating-today
>>
>>679639303
Say there's a statue of your pic nearby and people have put a bunch of money in it's hands, why is that? And will I be cursed if I take the money?

Also do you meditate and hum in front of the little drawer thing while burning icensts for an hour a day? That's what really turned me off Buddhism, too much meditation
>>
What sect?
>>
>>679648504
i know exactly what youre talking about, my point remains

one can't have faith in the "apodictic" (ie the scientific) precisely because faith requires uncertainty, it requires one to renounce reason
>>
File: IMG-20160416-WA0060.jpg (95 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160416-WA0060.jpg
95 KB, 750x1334
>>679639303
Explain your connection to Hitler??
>>
>>679648116
People that meditate are measurably happier people:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/use-your-mind-change-your-brain/201305/is-your-brain-meditation
>>
Can you make me one with everything?
>>
>>679639303
have you cut your balls off yet?
>>
>>679648756
who gives a fuck

i wouldnt meditate if you told me it would make gold fall out of my ass, so there
>>
File: DSC_1050.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1050.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>679648683
>>
>>679648683
Since buddhism predates the Third Reich by a long time, the connection might be the other way around.
>>
>>679648585
I do not know. It might be a custom in some Asian country. Well, in Buddhism there are no such things as curses, but...

I do meditate, but I just sit on the floor. Maybe have a pillow. I don't sit in front of anything or burn incense. But meditation is kind of bedrock
>>
File: deadpool12345.jpg (16 KB, 331x331) Image search: [Google]
deadpool12345.jpg
16 KB, 331x331
>>679639303
y buddha so gay?
>>
>>679648998
especially since the swastika is a hindu symbol (a religion even older than buddhism and closely related to it)
>>
>>679648854
>I wouldn't do something that benifired me because of preconceived notions and general stubbornness

Ah you're a real man of science and logic I see
>>
>>679648998
Didn't answer my question. Buddhist wanted the jews eliminated too didn't they!
>>
>>679649086
i never said i was, i just hate people who sniff their own farts more than i hate "unscientific" people
>>
You're not buddhist, you're on a computer.
if you were a buddhist you'd actually do what fucking buddhists do and shed yourself of material attractions and way of lifes.

You're just a edgy liberal white male who's got a shitty beard and vintage looking glasses who enjoys a dildo up his ass from time to time.

oh and you read a couple buddhist books. Not really read, you borrowed or just have a couple copies but all your reali intellegence on the subject comes from wiki's, youtubes, and the like on your macbook pro (you got the 13" because youre took old to get mom and dad to get you the 15)
>>
>>679648612
Theravada

>>679648683
I read Mein Kampf. Or that is most of it. It got boring. I've always had a fascination for WW2 and I think it is important to educate and remember, so the likes of it can be avoided in the future.
>>
People who think of Buddhism as this kind of open, new age, pseudo-atheist philosophy are completely ignorant of the history of this religion.

It is every bit as silly and conveluted as the desert religions of the West.

Western Pureland Buddhism
Repeat ritual prayers to Amida Buddha so that he'll send you to Paradise after you die... Sound familiar?
>>
>>679649198
ok that was just rude
>>
>>679649081
the swastika is found all over the world
used by many others then the hindus
>>
>>679648855
>>679648683
They're all over Korea too, despite 30% christianity, 30% having no belief. They have abou 30% buddhists there
>>
>>679648767
Nope, sorry

>>679648775
I haven't and I don't think I ever will

>>679649055
I don't think he was a homosexual. He did have a female waifu
>>
>>679649340
yeah but the oldest instance of it is from hinduism
>>
why do buddhists deny the truth of the prophet muhammed
>>
>>679649400
>>679649400
horeshit
>>
>>679649109
I give up
>>
>>679649233

That's why I do not consider, nor would I ever consider, practicing Buddhism.

But it DOES have a lot of good points and a lot can be taken from it's philosophy. Plus the Dalai Lama has all but admitted he is an Atheist that believes in Buddhist philosophy. So if a higher up like him does it, then why not me?
>>
>>679649042
Yeah this statute is in the market in china town of my city. Always has it's hands full of money.

I visited the Buddhist temple in my town and they had a required amount of prayer/meditation time. They opened up this small wooden dresser kind of thing and burned some shit and I think rang a bell while humming this prayer in Chinese over and over again. Must be different kind of Buddhist
>>
>>679649402
fuck you you fucking sandnigger
blow your self up please
nigger motherfucker
>>
>>679649488
its a fucking sanskrit character genius
>>
>>679649155
Fair enough
>>
>>679649198
You did not answer OP.
Anyway, I did read everything online since it is the only place the material is readily available, including the largest collection of translated suttas. That it is online does not make it any less worth.

I am on a computer because I am a normal person - a Buddhist layman. I have a normal life
>>
>>679649402
>why do buddhists deny the truth of the prophet muhammed

>truth

this is bait, as muhammad's magical claims are just as real, or falsified as all the rest.
>>
>>679649599
fuck you nigger
its found in south amarica earlyer then india you sandnigger motherfucker
>>
>>679649198

I would like you to know that my beard is flawless!

>Not OP
>>
>>679649233
Not familiar at all, anon. There is a serious Buddhist community in the west.
>>
>>679649296
Shame you never claimed falsehood though.

Listen, just quit being a faggot already, you're not a Buddhist and no matter how much you believe "Oh yeah this all makes sense" You do so much in your normal day to day that completely contradicts Buddhism.

You live an extremely privileged and entitled life so you're able to cherry pick and choose what "Philosophy" best "suits" you. And all the liberal democratic fuck nuts in your city all believe they're Buddhist too.
>>
File: swastika.jpg (60 KB, 622x452) Image search: [Google]
swastika.jpg
60 KB, 622x452
>>679649081
>>
>>679649206
Theravada isn't a sect you dolt. It's like an entire overarching branch of many different sects of Buddhism.

Confirmed poser. Man, I haven't had to say that word since I was a teen but that's exactly what's going on here. OP is a poser.
>>
>>679649527
There is not god in Buddhism, hence being atheist is not really edgy. Many born Buddhists presumably believe in folk lore, gods and all, but that is not inherent in the Buddhist teachings - which on the other hand coexist with such beliefs. I myself am an atheist
>>
>>679649906
fuck you you fucking nazi motherfucker
>>
>>679649903
This.
>>
>>679649659
Then you're not a buddhist, You're just a faggot who cherry picked a couple cool catch phrases you use every so often in an attempt to make you sounds authentic.

Get off the computer an actually go do buddhist things instead of being on /b/ (which is the GREATEST key factor towards me knowing you're not even close to being a buddhist)
>>
>>679650079
carefull not to cut youre self on that edge
in the bibel it says you will go to hell
nigger motherfucker
>>
hitler did nothing wrong
heil breivik
>>
>>679649529
There are a lot of ceremony in many monasteries. I think one should be aware, that in many countries monasteries are a kind of social security net. There are "real" monks, striving for nirvana and there are administrative monks who make the system work. Combine that with mans need for rituals and ceremony, and oddities are bound to be found.
>>
>>679649770
Jesus was the magical one. Muhammad was sent down to deliver the final, unaltered word of good. Coz fucking butt hurt Christians kept changing it.
>>
>>679649903

You sound like an edgy 12 year old.

Cherry picking philosophy is not always so bad. A lot can be learned from many different sources. What is important is having a firm understanding of the things you are trying to learn, and not just a shallow surface brushing.

Which admittedly most 'Buddhist' in the West are very shallow in the devotion/understanding.

Oh, and there is nothing about Buddhism that says you must be poor.
>>
do you feel prescription medications are against the noble eightfold path? sincere query. namaste brother.
>>
Is the reason ladyboys are so accepted in south east Asia becuase Buddhism accepts and talks about a 3rd gender and it's taken as the transsexual is what is meant by this 3rd gender?
>>
>>679650079
The only reason you say this is because translators opt not to use the word God, but from a practical standpoint Buddhism has God(s). Metaphysical beings that have supernatural powers and interfere with the lives of men.
>>
>>679650071
Sorry, I've never really cared about denominations/sects of Buddhism. I know I adhere to theravada because it is where the old scriptures are, hence it is the closest to what the Buddha taught
>>
>>679649903
>post time 11:11:11
Hey that's pretty good

Also to be fair that's most religions, I'll use Christianity as an example. If you were a real Christian you wouldn't have any money, you'd only have what you needed to survive and give the rest to the less fortunate living an incredibly humble life. But the majority of Christian Americans absolutely do not live like that. It's not a liberal edge lord thing it's a human thing, people are just hypocrites

Not OP and not Buddhist btw
>>
>>679650200
I do that too.
>>
>>679650079

I do not think being an Atheist is edgy - I'm just stating that one can believe in, and even practice, Buddhist Philosophy without believing in a bunch of superstitious stuff. I couldn't bring myself to believe it even if I wanted to.

My comment about the Dalai Lama was meant to say that just because you do not believe in that part of it doesn't mean you are any less of a Buddhist.
>>
>>679650533
So, you're not Buddhist then. Youre just a dude who likes Buddhism. There's nothing wrong with that, unless you try to pass yourself as some kind of religious or philosophical authority on Buddhism (as you've done in creating this thread)
>>
>>679650409
I do not, not at all. Medication helps people. Being Buddhist is not about leaving everything behind - not necessarily anyway. The Buddha had several discourses for lay people, and they show how to apply Buddhism in everyday life
>>
>>679650331
12 year olds dont even have the mental capacity o even remotely understand and talk about subjects like this other than repeating exactly what they heard from others.

The rest of your statement is literally that entitled privileged banter I talked about earlier and you're literally proving the point. It doesn't even need to be argued about because well before I already knew you were a faggot instead of a buddhist anyways
>>
>>679650473
Yes, this is correct. They are not necessary for understanding and following the path, though. The origin of these gods are discussed quite a lot. Some believe in it literally, some do not.
>>
>>679639303
Why not use enlightenment to fullfill desire and mitigate suffering, while vastly increasing pleasure? ... instead of trying to end suffering by ending desire

what is the point of a right action if the goal is to leave the cycle of reincarnation?
>>
>>679650296
Oh these weren't monks, one was a middle aged white dude and the other was a Hispanic lady. They acted as if this was a normal day to day activity. They said they do it at home for hours
>>
>>679651030
well sayed

shiva
>>
>>679650748
I agree :)

>>679650800
You are welcome to think so

>>679651046
Well, to each his own right?
>>
>>679650953
Yeah. The ones that do are called religious Buddhists, and the ones that don't aren't.
>>
>>679651030
Desire is the root of suffering, that is why your solution will not work
>>
>>679651221
I guess that is one way of putting it :)
>>
>>679642701
>modus ponens
take it to /mlp/
>>
>>679641265
SO wrong, buddha fight against interest, which are the things that enslave us.
It basically saing that you wishs and desires are the things that controles you
Samurai were buddhist and they belong to a harsh cast system that destroy any type of freedom
You'r not a buddhist just a new age fagg that think buddhism justifies your stupidity
>>
>>679651161
I wasn't staying my opinion. OP we are all just trying to help you not be a poser tool fake Buddhist that perpetuates the very stereotype that makes people like you seem frivolous and desperate for attention. If you want to be or don't care that everyone sees right through your BS then it's whatever man
>>
>>679651258
solution to what? I said eternal pleasure seeking by reincarnation... vast pleasure vs pain, at the end.
>>
>>679651161
Yeah I suppose so, whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>679651585
Will you tell me how on is a real Buddhist then?

>>679651601
I am not sure I understand. The ultimate goal in Buddhism is nibbana/nirvana, the cessation of dukkha. With the cessation of dukkha, the end of karmic results, comes the end of samsara (cycle of birth/rebirth), the state of the deathless. That is the goal.
You can have another goal, of course
>>
>>679651523
This.
Also the freedom that buddhism speaks about is not the "regular" type of freedom
A freedom of a state of mind not an action freedom
This freedom is ironically achieved but the resignation of the desire of the action freedom.
If you achieved this you'r basically invincible and uncontrolable, becouse you are indiferent to death, hunger or pain.
Couse you have liberetaed yourself from you attachmment to life and death, and pleasure and pain, even your personality (wich according to buddhism is an ilussion
>>
>>679650088
>fuck you you fucking nazi motherfucker

No no no, fuck you you fucking nazi motherfucker
>>
>>679650305
Oh I guess Muhammad flying up to the moon on an ass and splitting it in half was not magical. Well, these claims without evidence (all of them) are easily dismissed without evidence
>>
Do you intend on becoming a Buddha, or a Buddhisattva? Or have you given up attachment to enlightenment, and devoted yourself to achieving Devahood?
>>
>>679653358
I just hope to have a better life. Buddhism helps me leave stress and discomfort behind, being more content and a better person. I am not perfect and I won't ever be, but I do my best
>>
>>679641616
Not neccisarily. If you are a truly moral, good person you will still be the same with no fears. In fact the only fear that would make someone amoral is losing the fear of being sent to the hot place
>>
>>679653635
try studying stoicism... rational thought and living compatible with natural order/laws

A person only has to logically acknowledge a thing to feel about it. Thus I submit willpower is feeling about rational thought on a subconcious level. ...and not feeling something is an emotional reaction, like Null is a math variable.
>>
>>679654428
What is natural order?
How will natural order lead to the cessation of suffering?
>>
>>679639303
what decides ones gender?

wht decide parent? i was born to shitty parents they keep fihgting among themselves while i was raised by grandparents ? reason karma for this ? what should i do to cut this negative karma ?

what is the source of beauty is desiring beauty all around you and judging people on it (read racism ) such a bad thing coz its practical

life of monk differ from a family men .. what buddha said about family-man code of conduct cant be same as liek of a monk

if one is following christinity how is he wrong in eyes of buddha or is he perfect
>>
>>679655041
1) I think gender is determined in the womb by uhm... biologi-stuff. I don't know, but I have no theological answer to that question.

2) The traditional approach would be, that past karma is what lead to shitty parents. However I'm not sure. I think it is the other way around - shitty parents have children, thus extending their bad karma unto the children, causing dukkha for their children.

3) The source of beauty? Being prejudiced is bad because it makes you make mistakes about people, leading to trouble.

4) You should check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Householder_%28Buddhism%29 which actually gives a nice overview. If you're up to it I recommend checking out Access to Insight, which has a section on Buddhist laity as well as translated suttas.

5) One would not be following the path to the cessation of dukkha
>>
There is this mindset that whoever practices (or has an interest) in Buddhism is a Middle/High Class liberal-hipster.

I'm the exact opposite. Relatively poor and my political views would be moderate that set somewhere in the direction of a conservative libertarian.

Just throwing that out there.
Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.