[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a Theology Major Anything.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: 94663736473.jpg (24 KB, 324x450) Image search: [Google]
94663736473.jpg
24 KB, 324x450
Ask a Theology Major Anything.
>>
File: 1416632015093.jpg (31 KB, 405x524) Image search: [Google]
1416632015093.jpg
31 KB, 405x524
>>677605934

why did Thomas Aquinas stop writing after his vision? Do you think you will ever have a vision like that?
>>
Is life worth living
>>
>>677606200
In short. I believe he had found his happiness and there was nothing left for him to do other than wait for his life to come to and end. As he was able to 'Know God' beyond reason and rational thought.
As for myself, Possibly but i'm not holding out or making any reservations.

Good Question though anon, was half expecting something about the Jews.
>>
You plan to work in a fast food joint, or retail?
>>
>>677605934
where do you go to school?
>>
>>677606442
OP here.

If that question is about your life specifically then only you can decide that.

But in my opinion is life as a concept worth living then I'd say yes. But, only worth it up till the point that it is not or brings someone so much unhappiness.
>>
Why can't atheists define atheism?
>>
>>677605934
I've always wanted to ask this to a priest, do you honestly believe the shit you're taught, or do you do it for the money? I want to hear an honest answer.
>>
>>677607006
OP Here.
I plan to work in Music actually if not than i'l apply for Military Chaplaincy, 40k a year is a decent starting wage. (Although i've worked in retail previously i've no problem in rolling my sleeves up if need be)

>>677607104
I went to School in England.
>>
Do you masturbate?
>>
>>677607237
Atheists can usually define it, they just keep using the fact they don't believe in anything as an identity, Just like the LGBT Community with 'I'm Trans, I'm Gay, Blah blah blah'.

>>677607316
I Personally Believe and know many others that do. However It is possible to blag but very hard and not worth your time to bullshit a career in the clergy.
>>
>>677607459
Yes i do, Why would someone not?
>>
>>677607896
Idk. Church is against it? It is sin?
>>
>>677607843
Well, not in my shithole of a country. Demented old farts leave their shit to rhe church, aside from donating as much as they can to their church. Also, I find it hard to believe anyone who has read at least a part of the bible could believe it. I can understand that to the average pleb the idea of an afterlife may be appealing, but how a person who studies these thigs can honestly believe it is a mystery to me. What made you believe in god in the first place?
>>
File: Oh My Fuck.gif (2 MB, 444x333) Image search: [Google]
Oh My Fuck.gif
2 MB, 444x333
>>677607843
>the fact they don't believe in anything
>>
>>677605934
How many years did you waste studying nonsense before you became a nonsense expert?
>>
>>677605934
"I HAVE A DEGREE IN BANANAS, ASK ME ANYTHING!!!@!@!@!"
>>
File: slurp.jpg (615 KB, 992x1323) Image search: [Google]
slurp.jpg
615 KB, 992x1323
>>677605934

do you believe in Real Presence?

>inb4: studying theology is the safest way to become atheist, relativist, protestant or nominalist
>>
File: LOL.gif (970 KB, 440x276) Image search: [Google]
LOL.gif
970 KB, 440x276
>>677608950
>>
>>677607896
Eh, Catholosism seems to be a lot but it's less so these days. Personally i believe it's part of human nature

>>677608603
I'm Guessing you're from the states, The preachers there... or rather the 'Preachers' There have a pretty warped understanding, or rather lack thereof.
We don't respect them over this side of the ocean and don't actually consider them valid due to their actions of deceit and moneymaking not to mention they're riddled with sin of which they know they are commiting.

>>677608809
They don't believe in a Higher power or an 'Other' shall we say.
>>
>>677607896

seminarian here.
I don't.
and I immediately close (using the "[-]" icon) the pr0n-smelling threads, while rolling quickly the mouse wheel on nudes and questionable content.
>>
>>677609477
>They don't believe in a Higher power or an 'Other' shall we say
If you had studied science instead of baloney and spent time talking to people instead of about them, you would know that this is not true either...
>>
>>677608950
If you think getting drunk and sleeping with sexually repressed college girls over and over again is wasted then... The Answer is Five years.

I'm not the most typical Theology grad i must say.
>>
File: bait desu .webm (862 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
bait desu .webm
862 KB, 640x640
>>677609861

real theology student here, topzozzling at your poor bait
>>
>>677605934

will you pass the collection plate around additional times for "unforeseen expenses"
>>
>>67760723

We can. Atheism is a lack of belief in God, or gods, given the evidence presented.
>>
how do you intend to pay off your student debt?
>>
>>677610433

>no evidence
>this is enough evidence to prove lack of a god

deism is top tier both you faggots are stupid
>>
File: 1395277277668.jpg (20 KB, 208x271) Image search: [Google]
1395277277668.jpg
20 KB, 208x271
>>677610616
>no evidence
>this is enough evidence to prove lack of leprechauns
how does i commit logical fallacy?
>>
what made you decide to study theology?

what's the top end salary a person with your degree can earn?
>>
>>677610689

leprechauns probably don't exist

an active god probably doesn't exist

you have zero evidence to support or deny the existence of an inactive god and to refute the possibility is nothing more than the pent up rage from your unstable childhood
>>
>>677605934

How does it feel to have found the one major that's more worthless than gender studies?
>>
>>677610989
what is gender studies? it's sounds fkn useless
>>
>>677605934
If serious:
> If God is Omnipotent, why didn't he know where Adam and Eve were hiding? Actually, didn't he know they were going to eat the forbidden fruit before they were even created?
> Why didn't God know where Abel was and why did he question Cain like he didn't know what had happened.
>Where did Cain's wife come from? Adam and Eve were his parents, and they were the first humans... would it be safe to assume that Cains wife was also his sister?
> Going back to this omnipotence thing. If God knows everything, created everything, why create evil at all? He knows how it all plays out, removing any actual free will that he implied we had. Why do it at all?

>Does God know what it's like to rape? If he does, he's not "Good". If he doesn't, he's not omnipotent.
>>
>>677610839
Why i studied theology, I loved the thought process and discussions mainly. If i go into the clergy in the MIlitary I'd be looking at around £50k Starting

>>677610989
More worthless than gender studied. Given the fact that my degree will help destroy the gender studied and the liberal retard movement i highly doubt that.

Mainly because i have an actual Trade. Nice try Anon.

>>677611304
My take on this is that i think being God would suck, you have no challenge. Therfore you create a world with Free will one which restricts your interference thus you are no longer omnipotent. That is a challenge an a half.
>>
>>677605934
Are you doing all of this because you are a true believer or are you doing it for easy money?
>>
>>677609780
Atheists believe in a higher power? Please expand on this.

>>677605934
So, OP. I'm not a believer, but why the trinity? It seems like a lot of nonsense to explain the nature of a deity who is, after all, omnipotent, and shouldn't need to split in threes. Is this just the influence of Platonism in the early church or what?
Thanks for your time.
>>
>>677610989
Gender studies is still more useless than Theology. Being in the Clergy is at least a fucking trade.
>>
>>677611487
Fair enough. Actually, this makes more sense than the usual "God is good, it's in the bible" fare.
>>
>>677610433
Absence, not lack.
>>
>>677611739
Also dat paternal role in society.
>>
Atheism by it's own definition is the belief that nothing exists, so therefore Atheism cannot exist. If "Atheists" started calling themselves Agnostics, I would have more to truck with and I would be content with having a conversation with them about religion. I don't know if you know this, but you can't just believe in nothing. Whether it's science or the Buddha, you believe in something.
>>
>>677607391
What do you plan on doing with music?
Playing?
Singing?
Composing?
Luthier?
Teaching?
>>
>>677607843
>they just keep using the fact they don't believe in anything as an identity, Just like the LGBT Community with 'I'm Trans, I'm Gay, Blah blah blah'.
You do know that in most cases it's other people doing that?
People don't usually label themselves.
>>
>>677608966
Okay, when is the best time to bake banana bread?
>>
>>677605934
Are you familiar with the work of Thomas Römer ?
>>
>>677612470
he's a major in theology who browse /b/. He obviously wants to lead a children's choir
>>
>>677605934
Hello do you know some thing about "teología de la liberación" or the theology of liberation (freedom/emancipation)? im Chilean and here the teología de la liberación was a big deal and a important part of history.
>>
>>677605934
Proper University Theology or evangelical "Bible School" shit?

Do you prefer Systematics, Practical Theology, Church History, or one of the Exegetical disciplines?

Is the bible merely a source, or the word of god?

>>677608603
>I find it hard to believe anyone who has read at least a part of the bible could believe it. I can understand that to the average pleb the idea of an afterlife may be appealing, but how a person who studies these thigs can honestly believe it is a mystery to me.

-_-

>"What is the historical critical method"?
>"What is the history of theology of the last 200 years"?
>"Who are people like Schleiermacher, Reimarus, Wellhausen, Bultmann, Tillich, Käsemann or Pannenberg"?
>>
>>677610073
Why bait?

At least here in Germany/ EKD his description of us theology students is quite spot on.
>>
>>677610950
>you have zero evidence to support or deny the existence of [Objective Reality] and to refute the possibility is nothing more than the pent up rage from your unstable childhood.

With a lot of things (like the existence of objective reality, which could fit solipsism or a matrix situation as well) the burden of proof just ... doesn't work.
>>
>>677607391

As a military chaplain you would be an officer.

You would start out around more than 70K not counting benifits
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.