[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which book is the better waste of time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 9
File: 356475684578.jpg (127 KB, 622x471) Image search: [Google]
356475684578.jpg
127 KB, 622x471
Which book is the better waste of time?
>>
>>675125163
way of kings.
>>
The songs of fire and ice series turn into a bunch of rambling stories that go nowhere by the fifth book. They're pretty good up until there.
>>
>>675125203
This op, game of thrones is over rated bullshit
also check out Gentlemen Bastard series
>>
>>675125163
Try to get a hold of Fall of Angels by L. E. Modessit Jr.
Gangster book plus you won't be supporting pop culture like a child.
>>
>>675125163
Genral book thread?

General book thread.
I want to buy Horus heresy the seeds of heresy are down, but the shit fuckes dont print it any more. What to do?
>>
>>675125163
Way of Kings was fun. But I hate how all of a sudden he gets promoted to have so much power.... When does that ever happen?
>>
Way of kings! Shard armor and weapons, cool powers and op God
>>
>>675126267
L.E Modessits Recluse series is pretty good

>>675126317
http://www.amazon.com/Horus-Rising-Seeds-Heresy-Sown/dp/1849701113
>>
>>675125163
save yourself the money. read this instead:
http://www.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/
>>
>>675126267
>L. E. Modessit Jr

>kid fucks around
>gets a trade job
>becomes a wizard

times like 10 books
>>
>>675126787
you say that like it is a bad thing. I wish it was x100 books
>>
>>675126267
There are five books in the series before this one, however this book is a fairly independent story and can be read alone.
I have not gotten a hold of a lot of this series so fuck if I know anything about the series.
The author is a legend though so take a look.
>>
>>675127032
It's well done though, a step below the lotr world but equally fantastic.
>>
Way of Kings shits on Game of Thrones, and the series will actually be finished within our lifetimes.
>>
>>675126659
Its expensive as fuck with shipping something about 25-30 Bucks and there are over 50 books in the series.
For every book 30 bucks paper back?

No sir
>>
>>675127585
> and the series will actually be finished within our lifetimes.
youre right about the first part but not to sure about this last bit
>>
>>675127778
Sanderson is a machine, he puts out books like crazy. I know it's a 10 book series but it should be finished within the next 10-12 years based on how quickly he writes. Whereas Martin's fat ass is going to die soon.
>>
>>675127674
I just noticed heh 38 bucks for 1x 22 hour audio book.
I read about 2000 pages for free in jail but had trouble trading for more of them.
>>
>>675128019
book three has no release date yet!
>>
Adding to what others has said, asoiaf is by far my most beloved book series of all time, even though the quality of the books withered since the fourth book. A storm of swords is by far the best story telling I have read in my life.
>>
File: DGC.jpg (15 KB, 177x284) Image search: [Google]
DGC.jpg
15 KB, 177x284
I never thought, on /b/ of all places, I would find people, who hated G.o.T. as much as I do! Thanks anons. You just made my fucking month.

And OP, you might also wanna check out The Deathgate Cycle
>>
>>675128019
Martin isn't dying fast ENOUGH for me.
>>
>>675128350
I do not even know what the fuck got is about and I'm american.
I do not know what the hunger games is either.
>>
Game of thrones hits my buttons because it feels more gritty and real. I haven't been able to make it through book 2 of the storm light archives, the magic system throws me off and requires a willing suspension of disbelief for me, I will finish it eventually, just on hold for now.
>>
>>675128808
>Game of thrones hits my buttons because it feels more gritty and real.
Yeah because most of the shit is based off of historical events
>>
File: mistborn.jpg (46 KB, 309x500) Image search: [Google]
mistborn.jpg
46 KB, 309x500
Anyone read the Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson? Really good books with a cool magic system
>>
>>675128808
>>675129042
Thread is kill. Bye anons.
Your obsession with male genitals is almost on par with the martin himself.
>>
>>675128808
Cecilia holland wrote a good series, starting with 'the soul thief', I don't know if the fucking series has a name, but her sparse writing style and historical context make the story pop
>>
I've heard good stuff about brandon sanderson, and some of my friends are fans. When they started talking about it I switched my brain off however because I had no interest at the time
What book should I read from this guy to see if I enjoy it?
>>
>>675129042
No, just more belivable and engaging than way of kings.
>>
>>675129728
the way of kings
>>
>>675128801
I hope you die of heart disease before you can reproduce. Stupidity on your scale would breed true to any offspring, and I don't them being inflicted upon my children.
>>
>>675129171
Fuck yeah, awesome series. First books by Sanderson that I read.
>>
>>675125163
>Which book is the better waste of time?

Fiction is for retards. Seriously.
>>
>>675125163
Way of kings is better by far, but AGoT is a good book too.
>>
>>675129780
>medieval super napalm
>dragons
>ice zombies
yeah so much more believable and engaging
>>
File: mmpbs.jpg (141 KB, 960x454) Image search: [Google]
mmpbs.jpg
141 KB, 960x454
Dragonlance beats both all day!
>>
File: 3795530012_7afdf52725.jpg (142 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
3795530012_7afdf52725.jpg
142 KB, 500x353
THE BLADE ITSELF

>really fun fantasy
>i very much enjoyed it

>but i also like G.O.T
>>
File: malazan.jpg (93 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
malazan.jpg
93 KB, 1024x768
Recommending this
any malazanfag here?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>675125163
I've read GoT in its entirety and am 3/4 through the first book of Way of Kings. I am totally unimpressed with Brandon Sanderson. I do recommend Frank Herbert (Dune), Orson Scott Card (Ender's series), Gene Wolf (Book of the New Sun), and my all-time favorite series The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Talk about a fucking masterwork, Name of the Wind. Can't recommend it enough. GRR Martin is -okay-. Brandon Sanderson is mediocre fantasy for plebes.
>>
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get shouted, and faggot'd out of this thread with my response OP, but if you're just looking for a waste of time read, that's quick, easy to follow, and actually fun. Try The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. They are fun books, with an easy to follow plot line, and over all Story Arch. I enjoy them a lot, and I pick one up for a quick rehash, whenever I need something to read, but don't want to invest a ton of time on a new series.
>>
>When Game of thrones is too literature for these fucking nerds.
>>
>>675129994
>mahnigga.jpg
>>
>>675130548
>name of the wind
book three NEVER
>>
>>675130634
Yeah... Cus EVERYONE on /b/ sits back with a snifter of cognac, and an original printing, leather bound copy of "Don Quixote" right faggot?
>>
The king killer chronicles by Patrick rothfuss. a name of the wind and a wise mans fear are books 1 and 2 of the trilogy.
>>
>>675130893
Book three will be released after A Dream of Spring.
>>
>>675129990
As opposed to mystical orbs that fill up with light energy when exposed to storms and giant bugs that crawl out of cracks in the ground and a rediculous battle for no reason other than the sake of fighting, or manifesting objects with magic? They're fiction books, so that's the comparison. The characters in game of thrones feel like they have more personal motivations and individual personalities, where the characters in way of kings feel like set pieces. I like both series, just prefer one over the other for my stated reasons. You're argument is based on pointing out that the fictional elements of the series I prefer are fictional without regarding the fact that it is a comparison between two fantasy fiction books. Come up with a decent argument, some kind of intelligible defense.
>>
>>675130893
>>675131389
All we've got is time, anons. Plenty of reading available while we wait. Check out some of the series I listed, you won't be disappointed.
>>675130548
Also forgot to add Kingkiller Chronicles, it's a bit low brow but it's an all around feel-good tale with some unforgettable passages.
>>
>>675131490
Yeah, the character feel "real" right up until Martin kills them off, because he has no idea how to finish the character arch, and so need to start another to keep the reader interested enough to buy his next steaming pile of shit.
>>
>>675131490
Did it take you and hour to type this? I dont see how the characters in GoT's feel like they have more personal motivations when most of them do stupid shit half the time and many of them are unlikable like DragonQueen off in the Middle East, in the end they are all set pieces for the author and arguable more so in GoT since they die at the drop of a hat. But to each their own.
>>
>>675131054
All of my keks right here. Like laughing until I had a fucking coughing fit. Thanks anon, I needed that.
>>
>>675130112
This!
>>
>>675130533
I read the malazan books, but it became too much. By the time Crippled God came out, I just wanted it to be over. I wanted off the wild ride.
>>
>>675125163
They're both good and they're both unfinished, no reason to not read both.
>>
>>675131908
>Check out some of the series I listed.
Sure, really waiting for book 4 of Gentlemen Bastards and book 3 of The Red Queens War coming out this year
>>
>>675131908
Jesus, I meant "The Blade Itself"

I don't post very often, can you tell
>>
>>675127674

pirate the bookes, hell there are few books that can't be found online.
>>
>>675132173
See my reply to him
>>675131986
He is a phenomenal faggot.
>>
>>675131986
I don't know why he kills them off, but doing so makes the story more interesting because you no longer have a set hero who will inevitably win the day. Sure bitch queen in the desert will be there and probably bran, but I don't know.
>>
>>675132527
I've heard good things about the Red Queen, I'll put it on my list friend
>>
>>675132858
Its a fucking fun read
>>
>>675128350
Holy fuck I loved that series, it's what started me reading. Had to get interlibrary loans to borrow the 4th and 5th books from a different library.
>>
>>675125735
This is true
The first three are very good, with only a few chapters being boring (Bran, Arya from time to time)
Book 4 is good, too much of Brienne though
Book 5 is trudging to the more interesting characters
>>
>>675125163
Brandon Sanderson is awesome. The Way of Kings was my gateway book into the rest of his literature.
>>
>>675131986
>>675132173
The only dead POV character in GoT is Ned. GRRM constantly does open ended deaths and the characters end up being alive every fucking time. Robb died too but you never really followed him that directly. I don't get why everybody thinks grrm kills off characters at the drop of a hat. The books are not perfect, after storm of swords they really aren't even very good. I also hate dragon girl, I just want to point out the misconception that important characters are dying left and right.
>>
>>675132774
No... If you notice, he kills them off as soon as they make a move that makes their characters more difficult to write (some them would have been more difficult by entire orders of magnitude) and then begins his baby steps with another, until THEY get to the point where their story arch would become difficult/time consuming, and so, they die too. He does it because he is lazy, and uninspired enough by his own work, to throw good work away, and replace it with trash mid story.
>>
>>675129994
>not including lost chronicles
Loved this series to, Was really dissapointed though by 2nd generation and dragons of summer flame. They felt so rushed and out of place. Also the lost chronicles had some contradictions with the chronicles but it was awesome reading about kitara's and Raistlin's stories.
>>
>>675132774
Ned was introduced to die. His death set off the chain of events that are the next two books. Robb died as well but he was not even a POV character. I don't think any other important protagonists have died
>>
>>675133010
I had a 10th grade math teacher offer to buy me the rest of the series (I was only on book 3) if I A: actually came to class. and B: put in enough effort to pass. I finished the school year with a B-
>>
>>675125163
they both look equally gay
>>
>>675133605
Any examples?
>>
>>675128350
You never thought you would find contrarians on /b/? You must be new.
>>
>>675125735
This
>>
File: ogq16bu.jpg (93 KB, 600x921) Image search: [Google]
ogq16bu.jpg
93 KB, 600x921
>>675125163
Lol at all these hipsters trying to act like ASOIAF is shit. Just admit it, you hate it because normies like it now. It isn't the special secret series you can lord over the normies.

ASOIAF is by far the greatest fantasy series since LotR. It's attention to detail is simply amazing. I've read the series all the way through like 5 times and I still am discovering new shit. It's the most realistic and interesting fantasy story ever written.

People bitch about AFFC and ADWD because they are dumb and miss 90% of the shit going on. AGOT, ACOK and ASOS are more forgiving to the casual reader. AFFC and ADWD require you to pay attention to enjoy it. It's not going to lay out all the plots and schemes for you in a very obvious way. If you miss the subtext and the near surface schemes you are going to think the book is meandering a plotless.

Sandershit is a faggot morman who writes stories for children. There's a reason he writes so quick, it's because there's no depth and nothing but superficial knights in shining armor stories that have been written 1000 times. Every thing I've read by him is incredibly predictable and incredibly unrealistic. He's still caught up in the wave of copying Tolkien. It's just that he isn't nearly as good as Tolkien was.

GRRM is a lazy, fat, faggot but at least he's doing something different and not just telling the same old Fantasy story we've all read 1000x.
>>
>>675125735
How is ADWD rambling? A lot of shit is happening yes, but I don't see how any of it is rambling.
>>
>>675134113
Khal Drogo's plan to invade Westeros ends from a fucking INFECTION? That entire invasion (even if it failed in the end) could have, and probably WOULD HAVE, been a better book 3 than Storm of swords was, but it would have exponentially more difficult on poor old Captain Kiddy Toucher to write. We still could have had the dragons hatched if Drogo died at the end of a GLORIOUS campaign of blood, rape, and rampage, but no. He couldnt be bothered with something fun, and exciting.
>>
>>675133964
that's awesome, my schools never gave a fuck about reading and I had to pillage the public library for everything when we were too poor for tv, books or internet.
>>
>>675132774
Dany will not survive the series. GRRM has heavily hinted that she is about to become the big baddie of the story. I think the whole point of her arc is to show that even the "evil queen" has her motivations and believes she is the hero of her story.

I'd bet any amount of money that Sansa will end up as queen.
>>
>>675134145
No, I just thought everyone else left on /b/ were fanboys of the show because... tits. I despise the series, and the books, and I want Martin DEAD. I wasted the better part of year read the first 4 steaming piles of shit HOPING it would start to go SOMEWHERE, now I just want him dead, because of the time he stole from me.
>>
>>675135241
You... type like a FAGGOT
>>
>>675134869
Khal Drogo never really seemed interesting to me, it was always Dany convincing him to go along so I feel like it would've felt forced and impersonal to have him actually invade.
>>
>>675134911
I was in 10th grade in 1994 /b/ro. The Internet wasn't even AVAILABLE in my area yet back then (and yes I mean there were NO dial up servers for where I lived) So readin, and chilling with my friends was pretty much all I had.
>>
>>675128316
>A storm of swords is by far the best story telling I have read in my life

if you genuinely believe that i feel sorry for you and you need to read a lot more.
>>
>>675134869
Eh that'd make it predictable and uninteresting. We've heard that story before.

And the fact that he dies is hilariously real. He was a fucking retard who gave himself a major flesh wound for no reason whatsoever.

ASOIAF is all about putting people with sterotypical fantasy beliefs in a real world where the Universe doesn't give a fuck about whether you are the "hero" or not.

Also you'll get your Dothraki invasion. It's been pretty heavily implied that Dany will collect the Khalasars before she invades westeros. She begins that process at the end of ADWD.

She'll go to Vaes Dothrak and fulfill the prophecy of uniting the Khals. She'll then use that army to wreck the Volantis, yunkai and probably Pentos too.

After that she'll invade Westeros.
>>
>>675134869
The witch miri maz dur infected his cut when she made the poultice,which would before too long make dany force her to use blood magic and end up making the dragons. 3 books of the khalasar vs Westeros wouldn't have been better than what we got, because drogo sucks, all he cares about is killing and raping, the stories are about political intrigue, not grand battles. At least you watched the first season
>>
>>675129919
>Fiction is for retards

thats one of the dumbest things i've ever read
>>
File: Wheel of Time..jpg (56 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
Wheel of Time..jpg
56 KB, 309x475
This is the best series I have ever read.
It's more focused on the character progression and the main character throughtout the 14 book long series is the best written character I have ever come across, because it's so human in such an insane setting.
I won't spoil, but this series is amazing.
The first two books are not as good as the rest of it, because the author was still figuring out the way forward, but when you get to the third book it's amazing til the very end.
>>
>>675136173
based matt
>>
>>675136173
3 to 14 all very good? A series that long is a little daunting to get into
>>
>>675134586
I like this post. Any other fantasy series you recommend while we die waiting for future installments of ASOIF?
>>
>>675135931
No I read the books before the TV show. After the end of book 4, I had no interest in watching the TV show at all. So I never did.
>>
>>675135854
>Major
>Flesh Wound

Pick one faggot.
>>
>>675136453
falls off at like book 6 but picks up around book 9, at least for me
>>
>>675136453
I know, but you will get gripped when you get abit into it.
It's beatifully written and it has a very charming start.
It starts off with the charm of the hobbit(not trying to sound cliche) and becomes a mix of game of thrones and lord of the rings but still retaining the charm of the hobbit.
It's a huge series, but you wont regrett it.
And the first three are not bad, they just dont flow perfectly into the narrative that becomes established during the third book, but it's fine.
>>
>>675130533
Just picked up the first book today. My friend said it was good but hard to follow.
>>
>>675136453
yeah >>675137288 isnt wrong, its well done and the world and characters are all interesting but like I said it fell off around book 6 for me because it was mostly about characters I didnt care about. Still a good read though.
>>
>>675136173
Yeah, no.

Eye of the World and The Great Hunt were fantastic reads. After that, Jordan just completely lost it; 10 books, covering only about 3 years time? My goddess it dragged...
>>
>>675134586
I agree with you.
>>
>>675136627
LotR obviously if you haven't read it.

The Malazan series is good too, albeit pretty dense.

The Kingkiller series is good, and very accessible. Sort of like a more grown up Harry Potter.

I'd also recommend The First Law trilogy.

To be honest though, none of them really came close to ASOIAF for me. If you haven't read the spin off novellas, I'd recommend those too. They are easily as good as the main series, and some Dunk and Egg stuff is better imo.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.