[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys what do you guys think would be a better option for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 23
File: Mars vs Venus.jpg (39 KB, 625x216) Image search: [Google]
Mars vs Venus.jpg
39 KB, 625x216
Hey guys what do you guys think would be a better option for the future of humans. To colonize Venus or Mars?
>>
just go south.. keep going till you find the new land
>>
>>674893269
stay on earth and make it less shit

also, the moon

also, just general orbiting space station habitats for the technocratic elite to live in while the pleb masses deal with the decline of the earths environment, thats a good couple hundred years off though
>>
Hahah fair enough, but what if we could no longer stay on earth as a asteroid was hurtling towards it ,then what?
>>
>>674893269
Not much of an option either way. Earth is our perfect jewel in the cosmos, no other planet will ever be a home for us because we didn't evolve there. Even with all the tech we can imagine, the inability to survive without the tech is what will be the downfall of colonization.

That all said, I believe Mars is the safer bet. We can't do fuckall on Venus, all projected theories speculate we'd probably need to have cloud cities on Venus for it to work. On Mars we can have subterranean cities that would be safer and easier to protect. Even entire caverns [if there are caverns on Mars] could be systematically sealed and reinforced to provide a large space for human population, farming, etc. Being on solid ground is a better bet than flying.
>>
bump :(
>>
well if you like skin cancer and dying venus
>>
>>674893951
What about the gravity difference between earth and mars, its like 38% of earth's, wouldn't this have a huge effect on the population?
>>
>>674893269
Venus, I love seing clouds of sulfuric acid in the morning
>>
>>674894285
You wouldn't actually be living on the surface you know
>>
>>674894132
Yes and it may cause problems in the long run. Humans on Mars would need to keep up a constant training regime using hydraulic lifting equipment to maintain their bone integrity and muscle mass. Weighted equipment would work also, but you'd need significantly more weight and our space station technology already supports the hydraulic machine.
>>
>>674894422
Yeah, I guess it's not a problem
>>
>>674894439
Couldn't this all be avoided with Venus, having like somewhat 90% that of earths gravity?
>>
>>674893269
space isnt real there is nothing out there
dont fall to nasa's propaganda
>>
>>674894582
yeah but then you have to deal with like, the air being sulfuric acid
>>
File: q.jpg (47 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
47 KB, 500x377
>>674893269
>implying mankind's self-destruct timer isn't nearing apocalypse
>>
I think we should fix ours instead of bailing, but wtf do I know I'm just a fag
>>
>>674894582
Venus is extremely toxic.
>>
>>674893445
>orbiting space station habitats
basically this; we just mine every asteroid we find and turn it into a donut-shaped spinning space station

once that technology is perfected and the units become self-contained, we start seeding these things to nearby stars at sub-light speeds, where the process can repeat itself
>>
>>674894750
Well, you could have completely sealed ships, with oxygen inside, the big thing that Venus has going for it, is its similarity with earths size, and being up 50kms in the atmosphere is the most similar in atmospheric pressure and temperature
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 320x180
>>
>>674894422
then why even live near it? you can just build stations in space
>>
>>674893951
Actually, using sulphur eating bacteria and ecosystems that currently inhabit benthic vents and hot springs could quickly terraform Venus, and provide robust colonial resources
>>
File: Im a nigger.jpg (77 KB, 650x560) Image search: [Google]
Im a nigger.jpg
77 KB, 650x560
I don't know about you but Venus would cost a hell of a lot to colonize than mars id say just planet crack it for resources.
>>
>>674894582
Needing exercise and strength training isn't as much of a pain as the complete toxicity that is Venus. Humans on the Frontier would already be hardy people.
>>
>>
isnt mars a dead world?
that lack of magnetic field would make for shitty colony
>>
>>674895259
Yeah, the only way people could live on surface would be having the technology to deflect the radiation or live underground, while Venus has a thick atmosphere that works like Earths.
>>
>>
>>674895050
Quickly lol, we're talking hundreds of years the least.
>>
>>674895108
Backwards, as everything on mars would take industrial capital, whereas the sulphuric atmosphere of Venus would grow food, water, and consume co2, producing o2 as a waste product
>>
File: Afro Nigger.gif (1 MB, 204x195) Image search: [Google]
Afro Nigger.gif
1 MB, 204x195
>>674895471

>Turn Venus into a large scale food productions planet using robotics 100% grade a plan
>>
File: comet-73p-fragments4.jpg (27 KB, 459x252) Image search: [Google]
comet-73p-fragments4.jpg
27 KB, 459x252
>>
>>674895369
im not sure we could develop the tech to deflect radiation and charged particles anytime soon. we wil likely have perfected sustained fusion, ion propulsion, etc long before we could even protect ourselves from space.

venus could work though. i unsure of its magnetic field though
>>
File: venus_surface.jpg (88 KB, 998x500) Image search: [Google]
venus_surface.jpg
88 KB, 998x500
>>674894582
It is around 50 km to 65 km above the surface of the Venus, so the station above the surface could work. You would have a hard time on the surface though, because there is atmospheric pressure of 93 bar, which is like 1km under the surface of the Earth ocean.
>>
>>674895470
Sure, but that's an incredible rate of return on investment you couldn't possibly match even on earth, and mars would never be able to catch up
>>
>>674895681
There's another mission being sent their soon, so maybe that will give us more data on the magnetic field.
>>
>>674895681
Yeah good point, isnt the magnetic field like supercharged or something like that?
>>
>>674895681
No magnetic field, but mass, such as water works fine e
>>
"In 1967, Venera 4 found the Venusian magnetic field to be much weaker than that of Earth. This magnetic field is induced by an interaction between the ionosphere and the solar wind, rather than by an internal dynamo in the core like the one inside Earth."
Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus
>>
Distance wise aswell, Venus is alot closer to earth, so reduced travel time getting there is a positive
>>
>>674895655
The challenges Venus presents are actually its greatest advantages
>>
>>674895828
ought to be interesting

>>674895847
from my understanding, earths magnetic field is a significant factor in making earth the literal eden it is. charged particles are the biggest issue

>>674895908
i know there has been studies. happen to know current theories on the amount of mass required to protect life in a long-term scenario?
>>
>>674895681
Refer to
>>674896039
>>
>>674896089
Venus also has some potential as a sort of grand central stn to the rest of the solar system by virtue of its orbital characteristics
>>
i colonized your moms snatch with my seamen after i planted my pole faggot lmao
>>
File: Lets figure this shit out.png (284 KB, 400x560) Image search: [Google]
Lets figure this shit out.png
284 KB, 400x560
So what are the possible ways we could fix and/or use Venus's challenges & disadvantages, compared to earth, as advantages for us to one day colonize Venus?
>>
>>674896493
so theoretically terraforming could endanger the magnetic field
>>
Fuck mankind. We're literally the cancer of the universe.
>>
>>674896677
In theory, yes.
>>
>>674893269
>colonize venus
nigga you know the temperature is several hundred degrees there right?
>>
>>674896348
More mass is better, but peeps will need to store water anyway, andmars has even less of a magnetic field than venus
>>
>>674893269

Mars, no question.

Venus surface pressure is akin to 1 km under the ocean, massive pressure. 400 plus degrees.
>>
>>674896711
No, Fuck YOU. You're literally why people think mankind is the cancer of the universe you cancerous faggot go kill yourself you unproductive basement dwelling neckbearded never ate an english muffin virgin faggot.
>>
File: 1455677377604.jpg (52 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1455677377604.jpg
52 KB, 514x536
>>674894654
>>
File: venusnum1.png (412 KB, 559x461) Image search: [Google]
venusnum1.png
412 KB, 559x461
>>674896797
>>
>>674894132
But humans can also lift a lot more and do more work there because of this.
>>
>>674896797
On the surface, hot enough to melt lead, but at 50 clicks up its room temp
>>
>>674896787
to be honest, i doubt humanity will ever really live off our spec in space. i suspect intelligent life is quite rare in the universe simply because how how hostile the universe really is.
>>
>>674893269
Mars, we could possibly terraform Mars, its not outside the realm of possibility.
>>
>>674897111

I agree, only on the moon and mars at the very most.

Eventually tech will bet better and is just easier to become heavily cybor/machine and do space colonization/exploring.

So much easier than trying to do it as canned meat in need of all kind of life support systems.
>>
>>674897111
Emphasis on intelligent life.
>>
>>674896982
Excellent point about using breathable air as the lift
>>
>>674897216
The planets got no atmosphere man, anything on the surface would die from radiation
>>
>>674896826
living inside a giant shell of water seems like a bad idea. it would require constant attention to avoid accidents
>>
>>674897279
Space has its dangers, but leaky roofs rank pretty low
>>
>>674897242
the problem is we are living on borrowed time. always have been. rogue asteroid, gamma burst, the fucking plague . . . as rare as i believe intelligent life to be, i think its as rare for an intelligent civilization to last long enough to reach a level of tech to truly reach out

>>674897246
of course. i think life is common in the universe, just that most of it is simple because it has to spend most of its energy on surviving hostile environments
>>
>>674895251
Orlando was clearly an anti-American faggot/atheist, because he did not place the US at the center.
>>
>>674897111
I don't see any reason why we won't eventually reach the tech level to partly colonise our solar system, however as for travelling further, much as it would be a nice idea, unfortunately I really don't think that there s any way to actually make FTL travel, so we will never venture further.

likewise, even if there is intelligent life out there, it is highly unlikely they will ever make it here.
>>
LMAO you guys are a new level of Gullible Stupidity.

Everything you think you know about Venus, and space for a matter of fact, is bullshit made up by NASA. Don't believe me?
How the fuck can we see real-time pictures of Andromeda, other Galaxies, Nebula's and shit yet we "apparently" only have 2 pics taken from the surface of Venus?
How in the fucking hell can we "tell" what a planet/star/whatever the fucks out there, that is "LIGHTYEARS" away from us, is made out of and shit and if it contains liquid water yet we've JUST found out there's water on Mars!? Better yet, why the fuck do we have clear pictures of Andromeda but we've JUST finally gotten pictures of Pluto??

Most of NASA's information is all bullshit, people who believe there bullshit are gullible SHEEPS and so are flat-earth conspiracy theorists.... these douchebags are too fucking stupid to comprehend basic knowledge.
>>
>>674893269

> Surface temperature 900 Fahrenheit
> Surface pressure 90X Earth's

Venus would be a great place to pressure cook a whole turkey in 5 min, but it's not of any other use except as an object of study, and as a gravitational slingshot for sending payloads to other planets, as was done in the Galileo mission to Jupiter.
>>
>>674897588
You're right, I do truly believe that humans are going to have to overcome a massive hurdle to surely make sure we do last for ever
>>
>>674897503
we can barely transport petroleum without spilling it al over the place. we can barely maintain our own water systems. a leaky roof is not so insignificant
>>
>>674897588
Exactly. But say that we had the technology to travel very long distances in a relatively short period of time, then we should think about referring to this list:
http://phl.upr.edu/projects/habitable-exoplanets-catalog/list_esi

ESI is the Earth Similarity Index, for those who don't know.
>>
>>674897274
Thats why you terraform it man, theres a fuck ton of water on Mars in the form of permafrost in the ground, and a fuckingfuckton as water ice at the north pole (not south pole thats some other bullshit ice).

We just need to warm mars up a bit, theres a thin atmosphere, we could engineer algie n' suchthat can survive in the open. Spread it all over mars that will gradually take the nasty stuff out of the atmosphere and output some oxygen. Then slowly move up in plants, aligie to grass or w/e, once you can get to mega-fauna we're set.

Plus the atmospheric pressure n' shit in large craters in more than on the average surface. So start there.

Also some people suggest nuking the dormant volcanoes to get some core reactions going, and capturing ice asteroids and crashing them into mars, it'll heat it up and bring water. The water would evaporate, but we need it in the atmosphere more than as surface liquid.
>>
>>674897588

Im the person you replied to.

Aye I see what you mean. As we are discussing this, I see it as a life balance beam that most species fall off. Great article at this website ( beam reference about half way down ) http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-2.htmlhttp://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-2.html
>>
>>674897279
A more pressing concern would be corrosion from the sulphuric acid. Currently considering sacrificial PTFE or similar exterior coatings
>>
File: Fuck this nigger.gif (393 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Fuck this nigger.gif
393 KB, 640x360
>>674897679

Im no science man but im pretty sure it cost alot to send probes to other planets. But don't ask me fam just shove it back up your asshole.
>>
>>674897702
Are you just not reading anything >>674896982
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 387x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 387x380
>>674897679
>>
File: cb0.jpg (12 KB, 356x357) Image search: [Google]
cb0.jpg
12 KB, 356x357
>>674897679
>>
>>674897679
Just stay in /pol/ at all times and you won't have to worry about being upset like this. It's your containment board for a reason, and it would fucking work if only you'd allow it to.
>>
>>674893269
>stop being a fag
>kill all the parasites from the world (like stupid and ignorant people)
>taking care of the planet
>taking CARE OF THE FUCKING WATER.

please jdsfhptr09q324y5r92375 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
>>
>>674897588
I have a bit of an update in my research.
"On November 4, 2013, astronomers reported, based on Kepler space mission data, that there could be as many as40 billion Earth-sized planets orbiting in the habitable zones of Sun-like stars and red dwarf stars within the Milky Way galaxy".

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_analog
>>
>Venus
>The hottest planet in our solar system
>Air pressure is up to 80 tonnes
>So not only would you burn into a puddle of your own bodily liquids
>You'd be crushed into the dirt faster than you'd burn

>Mars
>Cold nights, but doable
>Thinner atmosphere, less air, but spacesuit can suffice
>Can build station to live inside on surface of Mars

Gee OP I dunno which is the better option.
>>
Both places are a lot nicer without us
>>
File: venus.jpg (19 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
venus.jpg
19 KB, 650x366
>>674896982
>>
TAKING CARE THE WATER = FUTURE.
>>
>>674898185
Cant tell if you're serious or not lol
>>
Gotta be Mars since it's much more hospitable

Venus - nope. Colonizing Venus has a point only as an achievement.
That planet managed to kill everything we sent to in within days. And suffice to say humans are a bit more fragile than reinforced steel juggernaut probes.
>>
>>674897746
Nothing about colonizing Venus, or anyplace else, is inherently safe, or trivial. The problems are soluble, and solving them on Venus will be the most profitable venture in human history
>>
>>674898264
Wait... a Movie Studio was able to make a movie on Venus, but NASA could only provide 2 pictures? Lmaooooooo wtf NASA's priority with the budget went into coke instead.
>>
Venus will only kill you if you go on the surface, it is possible to live in the atmosphere which has similar atmospheric pressure and temperature to earth
>>
>>674897958
I did read that, and the problem everyone is overlooking is that there's no way to make use of whatever natural resources Venus has, since the surface conditions make even robotic mining impossible, so it's not possible to truly colonize, since the term implies a self-sustaining operation. It would literally make more sense to try and colonize the upper slopes of an active volcano.
>>
>>674898494
....... please tell me you're not serious.
>>
>>674898531
Either way, the carbon dioxide would still kill you even if you live amidst its toxic clouds. You'd still have to wear a suit for oxygen on top of maintaining a station suspended in its atmosphere, so you'd need propulsion systems to stay aloft.

You may as well stay outside of it's orbit in space to avoid that shit. Or you could just go on Mars and build an on-land station there.
>>
>>674897797
the game is rigged
the universe doesnt want us to last forever.

>>674897808
PTFE is rather fragile. im sure eventually we will happen upon a substance as non-reactive but also more robust physically

>>674898175
thats only a small piece of the puzzle. how many have an active magnetic field? how many havent been sterilized by something like an intense gamma burst?
the factors by which a planet can sustain intelligent life are innumerable

>>674898471
perhaps. perhaps a spectacular failure. its a roll of the dice
>>
>>674898725
Yes, but that's todays technology. Whos to say, if indeed the human race does decide to colonize Venus, wouldn't people focus on robots being able to withstand the pressure? anything is possible literally.
>>
Let's wait for a Jupiter to turn into sun and explore all those world. Except Europa. We must not land there.
>>
>>674899031
why not
>>
Mars.
https://vimeo.com/145394263
>>
>>674898935
>anything is possible literally.

I admire your optimism, but the Universe is bound to physical laws. I know we've made a shit load of progress since the turn of the 19th century, but we're not Gods. At some point we'll need to understand our limitations.
>>
>>674899031
Aliens immigrating on MY Europa?
>>
>>674898863
If they are Earth-sized or larger, then I think it's safe to assume that they have a reasonably strong magnetic field, especially if it's larger. As for gamma ray bursts, that aren't that common and only hit planets on rare occasions. You're right though, there are far more factors to consider than just these.
>>
>>674899109
Why the fuck have we not yet done this?
>>
>>674896630
Use the challenges and disadvantages? You could go there to kill yourself I guess? Cook your breakfast instantly because of the insane temperatures? The only way Venus would be habitable, outside of living in the clouds and somehow growing food and killing people off because you couldn't possibly expand the size of whatever you are using to float there,would be to somehow move it into Earth's position where it could eventually cool down, however evenfor that to work you would need to strip most of it's atmosphere and use the dragon balls to give it an Oxygen rich atmosphere instead and also water.
>>
>>674893269
It would be a lot easier to colonise Mars
When the Russians sent specially designed heatproof landers to Venus to take pictures they only lasted a few minutes before melting
>>
>>674899156
alien suicide bomber
>>
>>674899130
Yes, but how far we've come just in my life time is so ridiculous. Its crazy to think how far humans are going to go in the future, especially when we invent AI, its unfathomable to think what we will be like even 100 years from now
>>
>>674896982
>>674896998
That doesn't seem efficient or practical at all
>>
File: titan-surface.jpg (174 KB, 525x504) Image search: [Google]
titan-surface.jpg
174 KB, 525x504
Nigga, fuck Mars. Fuck Venus. We should be colonizing Saturn's moon, Titan.
>>
>>674893269
OP you dense fucker, Venus is a volcanic planet where it rains acid, Mars is a barren planet with no hazardous environment besides the thin unbreathable atmosphere.
>>
>>674899408
Okay... but how the fuck do we get there? And why should we?
>>
>>674893445
There is no nitrogen on the moon. You would need to drag along every ounce of fertilizer in order to grow food. Mars is s better choice.
>>
>>674899459
We sit in a fuckin' rocket for 5 years until we land.

>And why should we?

Imagine dude, Earthlings are from Earth. Martians from Mars. If you lived on Titan.

You'd be called a TITAN.
>>
>>674899031
Yeah man let's not have an encounter with that squid thing
>>
File: 1458262085797.jpg (31 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458262085797.jpg
31 KB, 1280x720
>>674899249
>>dragon balls
>>
>>674899407
Wouldn't you like to live in a sky city? if not what is wrong with you.
>>
Can't colonize Venus and Mars is actually a lost cause. We should try landing on asteroids and such, probably more to be learned there
>>
>>674898935
By the time technology advances to that point, if it ever does, Mars would already be densely populated with domed cities. Personally I don't think that will ever happen, because in the long run human folly will probably so far exceed human ingenuity that we'll drive ourselves to extinction long before establishing ourselves elsewhere.
>>
>>674899700
Fucking cash
>>
>>674899203
i would say it can be assumed there might be a magnetic field. its possible that iron and nickel were unusually abundant in our little corner of the galaxy. perhaps there is a ratio in which earth is a rare exception.
speculation ought to be seen through as neutral a lens as possible, though optimism is perfectly fine when we know so little.

as for gamma bursts... they are somewhat rare within our scope of a few decades, but consider how long it took for evolution to come up with us. a GRB can reset evolution at any point
>>
>>674899847
Bro, you played Mass Effect too much.
>>
>>674899847
It would either have to float, in which case you'd go crashing into the surface should the smallest thing go wrong with the system, or it would have to be attached to the surface which seems straight up retarded
>>
>>674899940
I disagree. Humans have a tendency to get shit done when faced with adversity. Technology, medicine, architecture--you name it--has always benefited from times of war or crisis.

Humans are the kid who procrastinates on tests but on the last day we take some speed or cocaine and get shit done at the last second, with flying fucking colors I might add.
>>
>>674893269

Venus. Mars doesn't have an appropriate atmosphere for it.

>BUT VENUS HAS ACID FUCKING RAIN, IS A BILLION DEGREES, AND HAS CRUSHING ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE!

Fair points. Until you realize there is an area on Venus called Skadi Mons which stands a not-so-impressive 10,700 meters above it's surface. While not to great, being at this altitude would greatly reduce the pressure to not-so-comfortable-but-livable conditions.

Since we already have current-day technology and products that can withstand an array of acids (basic plastic, glass, some metals) the construction of a temporary bunker would be entirely possible.

The acid could be filtrated down into water with enough ingenuity. The cloud cover will protect against violent radiation.

Obviously you'll experience a ton of horrible issues, such as unknown weather patterns and such, but dealing with Venus will be far more similar to Earth than Mars would be.
>>
>>674900180
I feel like humanity wouldn't let something that holds hundreds if not thousands of people be able to be destroyed "if the smallest thing went wrong with the system"
>>
>>674900057
Well, this *is* only speculation. It's a shame that we almost certainly won't be able to find out within our lifetimes
>>
>>674899700
>You'd be called a TITAN.

Can't argue with that logic.
>>
Most likley neither. But rather a different earth like planet in our galaxy
>>
>>674900338
What reason would we go to Venus anyway? If we assume that we have to leave Earth, the best option would be Mars every time. It has a surface we could colonize either by terraforming or self sustaining domes.

It's also further from the Sun, so on the event of our Sun going red and expanding, we'd have a little more time to leave the system. Venus would be the 2nd thing to be engulfed.

No matter which way you slice it, Mars is the better option.
>>
>>674900452
what is more of a shame is that we are much more likely to see another dark age within our lifetime.
im butting my money on either a massive economic collapse which likely triggers widespread war - or - a global pandemic that devastates the first and second world.
>fucking everyone taking antibiotics like candy and slathering everything in sanitizers
>>
>>674893445
>tfw you will never see humans seed the entire universe with rapidly replicating space colonies.

It's like America fuck yeah but better.
>>
>>674898384
If you get past the toxic atmosphere o on Venus, people could fly by flapping wings
>>
>>674900844
I'm working on the latter. Don't worry too much, anon.
>>
>>674900844
Middle East more likely to fucking ruin everyones day, unstable basterds
>>
>>674899031
This will never happen.
>>
>>674900203
That it takes times of war or crisis to prompt innovation is the very thing that makes me doubt that high civilization will last much longer. Almost all the wealth of the world, in culture and technology, is owed to that tiny proportion of the human race that has creative genius, and the rest only to turn to those who work smart, rather than hard, as a last resort.
>>
>>674901047
>Fly by Jupiter's orbit
>Get close to the atmosphere
>Look at dat view
>Light up a cigarette
>Enjoy a nice smoke
>Flick burning cigarette at the atmosphere like a badass
>Atmosphere ingites
>Ball of fiery fury
>2nd Sun shit man nice

Yeah no you're a dumbass. As shown above, it's possible.
>>
>>674897679
What is spectroscopy? What is a telescope? You are really fucking stupid.
>>
File: 1456229547744.gif (2 MB, 350x189) Image search: [Google]
1456229547744.gif
2 MB, 350x189
>>674899109
Until the atmosphere is lost top space again, because mars has no good magnetic field.
>>
There will have to be some kind of massive space station outside of earth before we even think about trying large scale colonization anywhere.

Then we pretty much already colonized space after that point.
>>
>>674901034
i dont worry. pretty much worry about nothing. everything thinks that im a lazy fucker with zero ambition. just one more thing i dont worry about.

>>674901043
been instability since the beginning of time, and oddly enough the germans have been at the center of it more times than not.
>beware the germans

but really. the way we currently live in the developed world is far too sterile. compromised immune systems are actually a thing but we dont really notice it because of how clean we keep ourselves. just imagine what would happen if another spanish flu pandemic occurred today
>>
>>674900633
>What reason would we go to Venus anyway?

You know that poisonous CO2 atmosphere it has? That. It'll be extremely needed in manufacturing plastics, fuel, and as a greenhouse gas needed by other colonies on other bodies in the solar system.
>>
>>674901337
I stand corrected.
>>
>>674899109
That's fucking cruel man what did mars do to us why would we nuke them typical american militant way of thinking that nukes make everything better fucking assholes
>>
>>674901194
That's just the way of it. I'd argue that having a financial hierarchy is a good thing; everyone has a place. Supposing we attained a socialist utopia where we all distributed the wealth evenly and indiscriminately, and supposing we had no reason for war or any crisis, do you honestly think that humanity would be any closer to space colonization?

Consider the quote from Patton: ''If everyone is alike, then someone isn't thinking.''
>>
>>674901699
Good point.
>>
>>674893269
Mars

>Has some some sort of magnetic field that can be kickstarted provided the technology, to be more earthlike. Venus has no magnetic fields.

>Is not hot as fuck

>Is smaller.Means easier to terraform provided the technology.

>Is not associated with feminism.
>>
>>674901678
The CDC would distribute the vaccine that they already have in their possession.
>>
>>674897727
We won't last forever - the universe won't last forever, but I know what you mean.

If we could make ourselves cybernetic and eventually fully robotic, we could last to the heat death of the universe in almost any environment.
>>
>>674901678
>>beware the germans

Don't worry dude. I've known enough WW1 and 2 vets in my lifetime to know that. Same goes for the Japs. Neither are to be trusted, or considered human. I don't understand why like weeaboos, /pol/ and stormfront aren't all gathered up, taken out and shot. Hopefully Trump has a solution for dealing with this cancer too.
>>
>>674893269
Fucking easy.
Venus.
Have any of you motherfuckers played DOOM?
>>
>>674900575
> titanese
>>
>>674902258
Apparently not you since the entire game takes place on Mars itself and its Moon, Phobos. The rest goes into the depths of Hell.
>>
>>674902005
...after millions of people die
>government gets the square wheel award of inefficiency

>>674902156
eh, the japs arent so bad. they were perfectly content being isolated on their little island for centuries. germans though . . . theyve been fucking stability up since at least the roman empire
>>
>>674902110
I could just see humanity turning into some kind of massive AI system rolling through the universe converting every piece of matter into a usable resource. All flesh, plant, rock, liquid, gas would be diverted into the system to grow larger. With no goal in sight but to become the next best version. Constantly updating. We could probably conquer the universe but none of us will ever be alive to see it.
>>
>>674902340
Titanians
>>
>>674901337
>thinks that the sun is on fire

Jupiter is puny compared to other gas giant planets we've discovered. None so far are anywhere close to being large enough to ever become brown dwarfs.
>>
>>674902390
Exaaaaaaaaaaactly- If those guys just colonized Venus instead of Mars, where y'know, the depths of hell began to open up, then none of that shit would've happened.
>>
File: 1452111992145.gif (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1452111992145.gif
6 KB, 200x200
Colonize mars, there's no hope for venus
>>
>>674897679
ITT arguing about planetarycolonization with rudimentary knowledge from vidya and space movies.

im out
>>
>>674902601
bye felicia
>>
Wouldn't it to be awesome if Earth once having the technology to master space travel, and all that to have a war with another civilisation? Just think about it
>>
>>674902585
>>674902390
>actually needing to explain this to him
4chan hit a new low taday
>>
Mars is impossible. The "liquid" found is actually an extremely toxic chemical (forgot it's name) that ensures Martian soil will never grow any Terran crops. Also, adding oxygen will cool Mars and no one has any good ideas as to how to increase the magnetic field.

Venus won't be cool enough for surface colonisation, even after introducing extremophile bacteria to drink all the co2 it'll still be over 100 degrees everywhere except the large mountain at the north pole... which will always be over 50 degrees. Cloud cities aren't bad, but if you don't mind building the entire enclosure, why not build in the lagrandian points of earth? It's closer.

So, no.

We have a better chance of turning Jupiter into a brown dwarf and colonizing Europa and Ganymede.
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.