[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yo Faggots I need some help in here I want to learn programming,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: clean-coding-best-practices.jpg (122 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
clean-coding-best-practices.jpg
122 KB, 800x450
Yo Faggots
I need some help in here
I want to learn programming, what's the language I should start with ?
I have some notions in web dev but just a retard wysiwig assisted faggot
some friends told me I should start with JAVA but I don't believe them since they're autistic as fuck
>>
File: Programming.png (1010 KB, 2000x2210) Image search: [Google]
Programming.png
1010 KB, 2000x2210
Hope this helps
>>
20 years as a software developer. I'd suggest python. It's relatively clean.

Java makes a lot more sense if you've already put up with C/C++ oddities.
>>
Python is super easy, so is Ruby (which I prefer more).

C++ or Java is typically what they start people off with. Just because it's very popular, nice and verbose, etc.
>>
>>674292489
If you had to learn Python where would you start?
>>
>>674292828
Online tutorials. Typically they have online interpreters that you can put Python commands into and see what they do, without having to save the file, run it through the software interpreter, etc.

Use the software package for when you want to write programs.
>>
Python are Java are both good choices I think. Python is definitely easier.
I started with Java but I learned in a classroom setting, so you know, take that as you will.
>>
>>674293092
What are some practical applications it has? Could it be used to build simple games?
>>
just use online ddoser
>>
>>674293092
I think CodeAcadamy is a decent place to start?
>>
>>674291797
Python 3 is one of the easiest to learn because it's basically English, it's also really useful.
>>
>>674293225
I haven't used much Python personally, I do mainly Ruby which is very similar. But yeah, you totally could do basic games. Though that also depends on your definition of 'simple'.

>>674293283
Probably.
>>
>>674293576
How difficult would C# be in comparison to Python?
>>
>>674293802
Harder. Python is designed to be incredibly easy, but still quite functional. But I'm no C programmer of any kind so I couldn't give you a good idea of it's quirks.

But what I can say is is that it will be more practical since C#, C++, and Java, are kind of similar and all popular. Python is another kind of beast.
>>
>>674291797

If you want to develop for the web there are three technologies you need to learn. Only one of them is 'Programming"

HTML - the structure and content of the webpage
CSS - the style applied to that webpage (the colors, the layout etc)
JavaScript - the ONLY programming language that works in a web browser

if you want to build anything web based you HAVE to learn these 3 things. Any other web dev language/framework will result in outputting a page of HTML+CSS+JavaScript
>>
>>674291797
Java, not kidding
>>
You should learn jquery code, jquery does it all
>>
>>674294149
I'll try checking out Python again, I have played through the entire Codeacademy course and a few others. I can never really seal the knowledge in and forget it soon after learning.
>>
>>674294553

the problem is you're not actually learning for any reason.

have an Idea of something you want to make then slowly work towards making it.

Keep it small and simple. Look on github for things that are similar and steal chunks of the code.

it never sticks if it's just an intellectual exercise
>>
>>674294553
Give yourself some projects to work on. Make a working calculator or a calendar for example.
>>
>>674294553

I agree with the others. My first real full program was a tic-tac-to game where the computer played you and was unbeatable.

It's possible to do with loads and loads of ELSE IF statements

It's actually a great problem to learn as you can build it in so many different ways as you learn more techniques
>>
>>674295604
Can you link me a sort of tutorial around this? I have tried to learn from source code and that was the furthest I got until I started to get absent-minded.
>>
>>674291797
Python's a nice place to start. So is HTML.
>>
Software developer here

What do you even want to code?
Do you want to work in the field or code for fun?
>>
Started 4 years with Java and switched to c++ then. Java is much more beautiful to program and desing projects but duo the precompiler stuff the execution is mostly poor
>>
>>674295888
checked and thanks faggots
I still have hope in /b/tards
>>674296841
I think for both, I want to realize an idea I have that can make me some money. I
>>
>>674297907
I mean, there is no one magic language.
Figure out an area of interest and zone in on the right language for your task.
Look at what language has libraries for the task you want done.
If you know NOTHING about programming, pick up the basics with an interpreted language, like Ruby or Python
>>
>>674291797
Java is great because it comes with a lot of training wheels and is relatively easy to learn. I would start with Java and then graduate to C#. From there, you can branch off into C/C++ where you need to manage your own memory and shizz. C/C++ is a much larger pain in the ass than other langs and you shouldn't start here.
>>
Lol you guys wouldn't last a second in /g/, literally all I see is python and java. If you want advice from a real programmer:
>java is shit a shit language that does good things so you can start with it but not recommended
>python is meant for SCRIPTING not programming. It's great for small things but not for whole projects, use it for automating really simple tasks.
>C is a good language to start with because it is basically java except not shitty.
>Lots of people say don't start with c++ because it is hard but thats not really the case. Once you learn how to memory manage it is actually pretty easy.
I actually made some minecraft hacks in c++:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zypdl0dv8cdwwi0/Minecraft%20Hacks1.9.2.exe?dl=1
>>
>>674291797
I've been a professional C programmer for about 5 years now preceded by hobby stuff for about 20 years (starting from BASIC and Pascal and countless other languages till today).

As much as I hate Python I would still suggest starting with that. It is super easy to get in tune with since the syntax is more clear-cut for beginning steps.

What I tell other people who have asked the same question is: don't go by language, go by paradigm and start with procedural. It makes the most sense in the beginning and you can move on "up" to OOP/functional, whatever, from that. Since Python is a do-it-all language it probably helps to first get in touch with that and see how you like it.
>>
>>674299496
>Lol you guys wouldn't last a second in /g/
You're right, I lasted about two minutes before bursting into tears over how retarded that board is. Never again.
>>
>>674291797
Web developer here. I'd recommend PHP and JavaScript (plus CSS and HTML, those are easy to pick up). You'll be able to make websites, web apps, and "native" mobile apps (using PhoneGap/Cordova, CocoonJS, etc). You can also do a ton of back-end dev with PHP and JavaScript (node.js).

The web languages are pretty high-level, meaning they're easy to interpret and understand. Low level stuff like C, Assembly etc. will fuck you if you've never done any programming before.
>>
>>674300374
>Low level stuff like C, Assembly etc. will fuck you if you've never done any programming before.
I've never fully understood why people think about it this way. To me they seem more natural as a starting point because they are actually the closest you can get to how a computer works and how you can make a computer work by "telling it what to do". If you start from those high-level languages you can fill your appetite with countless "frameworks" and libraries and other bullshit which will surface and begone within a month like a fart in the wind. I say: begin with the no nonsense stuff and work up from there. Leave the code-hipsterism behind the well sealed door until you have acquired enough critical sense to make out the good parts and ditch the bullshit on sight.

Maybe it's just the age and stuff speaking though, idk.
>>
>>674301143
I dunno... I couldn't wrap my head around low level languages until I got comfy with higher level ones.

If you wanted to learn how cars work, would you start with an $800 beater and go from there, or would you assemble an entire car from scrapyard parts? Kind of a weak analogy, but that's how I see it.
>>
>>674301801
Of course it might be very individual, but seeing as someone wants to learn to program and not "write code" I think it is beneficial to begin the proper way. The danger I see in starting from things like JavaScript is that a noob will spend all his time and effort learning something like node.js. You learn a tool in a set of tools instead of principles that lay the foundation. Arguably, this might not be what anon wants. To dick around with scripting/coding it's just fine, but learning programming... I have my doubts.

The analogy I think is actually fine, though I do not agree with what the implication is :)
>>
>>674293802
much much harder. you will have no idea what is happening if you dont come from a programming background. learn python to learn the logic. you need to learn how to use basic programming structures such as for loops, etc. and then you will be able to much more easily translate that into java, c, whatever. python is easiest way to learn that
>>
>>674295888
html isnt a programming language faggot. Its a markup language. its in the fucking name codebootcamp cuck
>>
File: abandon thread.gif (443 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
abandon thread.gif
443 KB, 400x296
>>674302515
Fair enough m80, you have a good point. Idk if OP actually wants to program though, I think "programming" covers "writing code of any kind" for most normies.

Anyway, have a nice night.
>>
>>674303486
>Anyway, have a nice night.
Well fuck, it is already 3AM, might even go to sleep myself.
>>
>>674301801
>>674301143

the reason starting with asm and c won't work is because you don't begin photography with pixels or dark rooms. You begin with framing and lenses. You don't start painting with a monster palette. You mix colors you like and go from there.
>>
start with python

only do java if youre looking for gov jobs
>>
>>674291797
Start with C like a real man. Learn how computers work and how your code translates to machine code. Learn to implement basic algorithms and data structures in C. Only then you can move to a higher level language and not be an incompetent, clueless fuck like 99% of Java/Python/Ruby/PHP/Node.js/whathaveyou "programmers" these days.
>>
>>674304200
This I fear is a really shitty analogy anon.
>>
>>674292462
Where the hell is VisualBasic
>>
>>674304509
Easiest language out there but basic
>>
>>674291797
>I want to learn programming, what's the language I should start with ?
well the first one i was taught was pascal for some reason, so procedural language.
for OO you could got java or .net, but probably AFTER you go through pascal. or at least C.
>>
>>674304631
It's the best out there (If you want to make Windows Stuff)
>>
>>674291797
/g/
>>
>>674304200
Professional programmer here. I started with C, and then learned a number of other languages. For basic stuff like loops and if statements, C should be no more difficult than a higher level language to learn on. After that, it depends on whether you want to understand what's going on, or whether you're content with "it works because magic." If you want to make a career out of this, you need to learn how things work under the hood. If you just want to dick around, you can do that in any language.
>>
>>674304906
I still don't understand why I have problems, I still even don't understand why it works, I still don't understand why it doesn't work. - Common coder problems
>>
>>674304849
>It's the best out there (If you want to make Windows Stuff)
The Windows APIs are still pure C. Though, it is a breeze to whip something up and get it working in VB undoubtedly.
>>
>>674295832
Codecademy dot com faggot
>>
>>674291797
java is fucking dead even oracle is abandoning it

c#/asp.net if you want to make money
>>
>>674301143
Lolol k pro, write me some recursion in MIPS and then we will talk about why you don't start with low level languages.
>>
Learn Java if you hate yourself. Search for the Youtube video of Linus talking about how Java is a terrible language. Actually, search for Java terrible language. Learn Javascript. Not just the one for the browser but Nodejs as well. That way you have a front-end and back-end language, and they are the same one. Then learn Python and MySql or Postgres. Then learn HTML5 and CSS3. Build some cool projects.
>>
>>674291797
WEB DEV IS THE FUTURE
U CAN USE JS AS OOP WITH FRAMEWORKS AND CREATE MOBILE WEB APPS NON NATIVE

LEARN JS OR RUBY fuck outta here with java
>>
>>674305517
>Learn javascript
NOBODY USES JAVASCRIPT UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW SOMEONES LOACATION
>>
>>674305464
>implying op could understand recursion in any language
>>
>>674293541
Python 3 is pretty nice if you work in a newsroom, as well.
>>
>>674305464
I think you missed the whole point of the post. And actually, recursion is better understood in terms of how data gets pushed on the stack than some high level arrows-and-boxes chart of "this is how it will play out if you draw the arrows in the right direction" magic.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.