[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: we discuss skilled trades (US & Canda specifically)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
ITT: we discuss skilled trades (US & Canda specifically)

Focusing on:
>lifestyle
>pay
>training needed & how competitive it is
>stability
>trades vs college/uni
>>
Any electricians out there? I'm considering dropping out of college to become an electrician. Is this a good move?
>>
>>670144400
bumpp
>>
>>670144400
can't be outsourced. auto collision tech here. $60,000 a year. not killer money but if you're good there are no worries. auto mechanics, plumbers, welders and electrician are all good fields to get into.
why spend 20 years paying college debt with a shitty job when in that time frame you can buy a house that goes up in value.
>>
>>670144055
bump
>>
>>670145610
thank you sir
>>
Elevator Apprentice here.

Highest paid trade out there.

4 year school. 1 day a week. They can keep you 5pm-9pm but they usually don't. Not paid for class. Raises determined by passing semeaters. Follows college schedule (spring fall semester).

Hard as fuck to get into.

Unionized. Some of the best medical insurance available. Annuity.

I'll hang around a bit if anyone has questions.
>>
>>670146624
How hard is it to get an apprenticeship? What do you have to do to stand out?
>>
>>670146624
>>670146924
also, what are starting wages like? do most apprentices have to know someone to get in, or does it just come down to intelligence/quality of applicant?
>>
>>670146924
They problem isn't getting picked. The way it works is you apply for an interview essentially. You take a test similar to army AVSBAD (or whatever the fuck it's called) just to make sure you're not a total dummy. Once you pass they will send you a letter letting you know your interview date/time. You sit down and they run though basic interview shit. Then you are scored and placed on a list and you wait for a call to come work.

It's not overly difficult in terms of looking good. It just takes a long ass time and at least around here they don't advertise really well that they are conducting interviews. When they call you have 48hrs to show up otherwise you get skipped.
>>
>>670147871
how long does it take as a rough estimate?
>>
>>670147250
Wages are different city to city. Here they start at $18.?? And go up at 6 months to 20.?? Then you have to pass your classes to get a raise. Journeymen top out at 37.??

See>>670147871
>>
>>670145197
>buy a house that goes up in value
this is what separates the middle class from the upper class
>>
>>670144055
>>670146924
Going into my 3rd year Electricians apprenticeship

makes almost $30/hr as a first year with no training or skills

paid to go to school

a few $$ behind Elevator Apprentice/journeyman

benefits almost the same

Elevator union is hard as hell to get into. if you do, go play the lotto.

Elevator unions main advantage is that from what i hear there is no non-union to compete with.

Trades as a whole are amazing. go union and go commercial (if your state has split programs)
>>
>>670148222
I was a little different because I'm a Vet I skipped the test and went right to interviews but from the time I filed for the interview from the time I got hired was I think about 7 months. It all depends on where you place and how fast they are pulling off the list. I've heard of guys waiting 2 years before getting called.
>>
Welding student here, tn has a one year course through a tech school, I've got another 6 months. Jobs here start out around $14 and can go up relatively fast.

Any other welders in the south here?
>>
>>670148474
>makes almost $30/hr as a first year with no training or skills
sounds like a sweet deal. do you enjoy the work? how physically demanding is it? also, same questions as the elevator anon. how competitive/how long does it take to become an apprentice?

>>670148560
so if i'm understanding this correctly, if you pass the interview/test you WILL get called, but it's just a matter of time?
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 671x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 671x289
Mfw im a laborer for the government and make 25$ an hour
>>
>>670148957
oh yea the work is (for the most part) awesome. it can get a bit repetitive at times, but you know that even if you land at a job you don't like there is a new one just around the bend. with new people and tasks at a new location. once you turn out as a JW you can travel any place in the U.S. as for physically demanding, id say we are the most pampered of the trades, there are some tasks that can take a bit out of you but if you are smart most jobs can be finished without breaking your back.

As to how hard it is to get in, this greatly depends on your location. every state...hell every local requires a different test score to even get an interview ( i think the Natl min is 75%). the test is basic math and reading ( for us at least). followed by 1-2 interviews with basic questions.

the hard part is the amount of people applying. we had about 400+ applicants for the last inside class. 19 got in.
>>
>>670148957
I see you my phone is fucked up. Will have a response shortly.
>>
Wood Science Major
Focus in composites particularly structural
fairly niche major but highly sought after considering increasing environmental awareness. When managed correctly, cutting down trees is a very sustainable practice.
~50k starting roughly
bachelors increasingly preferred or else you'll need 20 yrs experience
I also have a minor in green engineering.
>>
>>670149996
do electricians ever have trouble finding work, such as during the winter?
>>
>>670148957
>>670150004
So provided you aren't a complete idiot you will more than likely get placed on the list it may not be very high but it will be a spot. If you have experience in another trade or can weld etc it will help out but I have worked with a guy who was a baker before he got in the trade so anyone can get in. You just have to show that you are willing to work hard and can learn because more than likely you will start in construction which is hard, heavy work.
>>
>>670144400
Journeyman here. Good money once you hold a license, but pretty shit up until. Can make tons by traveling and working industrial and shutdowns but it's pretty hard work. At least in my experience.
>>
>>670150007
Forgot to add. I have an internship that gives free housing but only $17/hr. I work about 50 hrs/ week. We make MDF composites.
>>
Car detailer

-Lifestyle is pretty normal. Upper middle class serving the upper class. Cash on a regular basis means I can buy a lot of the small impulse shit I couldn't with other jobs.

-Pay is great. I make over $60 an hour on average and I rarely work more than 5 or 6 hours with a break between. I only serve one or two clients a day and each takes 2-3 hours.

-Training needed is pretty minimal. Anyone can learn to do it in a week and be good in three months. The hardest parts are things like buffing which just comes with practice. It doesn't take a fucking genius to use rags and brushes. That said, if you're unobservant, inpatient, have no eye for detail, or easily fatigue, this isn't for you. Competition is minimal as far as workers, there's always a car lot or detail shop looking for a guy. If you want to own a business it gets pretty stiff though.

-Stability is the worst part. My job is very reliant on the economy. It's a luxury item. If things are bad, people aren't going to throw $2-300 down on getting their car cleaned unless it's an emergency. Even people who are very well off will trim expenses like that in tough times so my highest demand comes when people have extra cash. That said, the weather fucks me more than the economic stability of the US, but having a shop helps. It definitely helps to have a side job you can do to fill in the gaps especially in the winter, for me it's delivering pizza because the schedule is flexible as hell and the cash is convenient and I've been doing it since I was a teenager so I can slide into any shop with minimal training.

-Nobody goes to school to be an auto detailer. Not to say a course doesn't exist, just that any person I've ever met in the business even at high-end professional levels didn't go.Work up from the bottom.
>>
>>670150306
how fit do you have to be? i'm in decent shape, but i wouldn't consider myself incredibly strong.
>>
>>670150262
this is very location dependent. Each local is different as to how much of the work % they share with the non union shops. locals that have a weak hold on the market tend to have more workers out of work. while strong locals are in need of more workers to fill the calls. same fore weather. a state that have mild winters can tend to work past it, however if you love in a state that turns into a block of ice you may be down for a little bit.
>>
>>670150262
No, you'll be setting up/selling generators and shit dog
>>
>>670148359
thank you. if you are not going to add anything of value please do not post.
>>
>>670150491
Gonna tack on here that I am at the medium-high end of the spectrum as far as pay and clientelle. Expect to make barely above minimum wage if you start at a car lot or a place that serves beaters. Experience talks though so a year at a lot or shop could help you move to something better very easily.
>>
>>670150262
Not if you're willing to travel.
>>
>>670150262
There's always work for you guys. The spring is when the gold rush happens because construction slows down during the winter (cold hands are a safety hazard). Overall if you're not installing then you're fixing. There is ALWAYS work and once you're in, you're set.
>>
>>670150657
Youre probably good then. I'd consider myself about the same. As long as you're not like 5'4 120lbs
>>
any plumbers out there?
>>
Anyone know anything about Masonry/ brick laying work?
>>
>>670151220
No, but I'm knowledgeable of them though. Basically to do pretty well you'll need to have a good reputation. Leaky pipes can ruin a building particularly if it's made of wood. Find a good group to work with and learn from them. Building inspectors will fuck you if you screw up because of how important and easy it is to spot.
>>
>>670144055
>trades vs college/uni
College fag (masters) here. Trades are damn good career choices if you're interested and can handle the various physical requirements.
>>
any paramedics here?
>>
>>670144055
I am a industrial drafter. I work in larger gear machining. Pic related
>>
uk trucker here. what do US/Canadian truckers earn? have wondered this for a while.
>>
>>670153129
love that photo. any idea what that gear is from?
>>
>>670149382
So, it takes you a month to put up a fence?
>>
>>670153129
Do you use Autodesk to draw out the casting molds? You gotta watch them fluid velocities and turbulence.
>>
>>670153296
No idea. It could be used for a lock for a canal or hydro electric. I chose it for it's old timey look.

Can you imagine the damage it it tipped over.
>>
>>670153424
Underrated post lmao. That's why I refuse to work for the government. There's too much red tape and their practices aren't up to current standards for effectiveness. Salary and benefits aren't my only driver. Accomplishing things is too.
>>
>>670150491
So if I just go from shops/lots asking if they need a detailer I have a chance?
>>
Trades are excellent. I am a Canadian student here about to finish my masters in physics. No idea what I can do besides getting a PHD, which sounds like hell. I'd probably rather just be making money.
>>
>>670153636
>Do you use Autodesk
AutoDesk for the smaller gears. A different group uses Solidworks.
>You gotta watch them fluid velocities and turbulence.

I'm mainly responsible to add info for tolerances and such. Oh! Now I understand what you mean. We mainly do machining at our company
>>
>>670153813
>Shit we just cracked the concrete foundation lol.
Nothing compares to that pic of the satellite at NASA that tipped over. Sorry boss but I knocked over the multi million dollar satellite.
>>
>>670153991
>Underrated post lmao. That's why I refuse to work for the government. There's too much red tape and their practices aren't up to current standards for effectiveness. Salary and benefits aren't my only driver. Accomplishing things is too.
Same guy. I have literally seen that. It took one month for the city crews to put up a fence in a municipal park. Also, I've heard that one old guy took one week to paint a stairwell.
>>
>>670146624
Facility Manager here. Worked up in the A/C trade, but the amounts we pay for elevator maintenance and repair is out of this world. I've never seen an elevator technician/mechanic that didn't have a new truck and tons of toys.
>>
>>670154253
Machining can be a bitch with the tool pathing. I'm currently learning MasterCam for a CNC router. Working with wood is a particular pain in the ass because it's an-isotropic thus behaves differently in many directions.

So do you just get a big plate of steel in the loading bay to play with?

My roommate had a 60 lb steel plate delivered to our apartment one time lol. It was for a personal project of his.
>>
>>670154646
I think contracting stuff out to other companies is probably the better option for them to do. I think it helps sidestep a lot of the red tape.
>>
Just accepted an apprenticeship at a shipyard. Working hourly at +$17. You get paid while going to school. Get raises and after 4 years start earning +$50, 000. You get more if you want to learn more and perform specialized shipyard related stuff. Benefits are good, 401k with partial matching, and paid vacations.

Compitition for interviews are tough. I was part of a selected group of 400 applicants being interviewed out of a big group of 4,000. Wanna know how many dicks I had to suck to get an offer? None, because my hands is where the magic happens.

For real, here is some advice.

- If you are in college, take as many math and science related stuff as you can. You can go as high as you want, but be proficient in algebra, geometry, and trig. Those will get you started. The others you can pick up later.

- Get some experience with welding and cutting machines and set ups. Your local tech school might have some intro classes you can take. Study some topics on electricity. If you can study both welding and electricity, you will make yourself marketable.

- Remember that last word. Marketable. You study, gain the experience, and have a good head on your shoulder, they will see that you have initiative. They want to see that you want to be there learning and doing the work. Guys who don't want to be there, don't last that long. If you do get an appreticeship or something like it, you'll be working with some of the best. I didn't say the nicest, the best.

- Good luck
>>
>>670154806
They make an assload of money. Dying in an elevator is a particularly nasty fear for many people so the standards and factors of safety are crazy. It's really odd how the profession got this way.
>>
>>670154836
>So do you just get a big plate of steel in the loading bay to play with?
Cast steel actually.

>My roommate had a 60 lb steel plate delivered to our apartment one time lol. It was for a personal project of his.
Interesting, I've been thinking about making my own tools. I've wondered if I there could be a market for them.
>>
>>670155581
Everyone wants well made solid tools, if you make quality shit people will buy it.
>>
>>670144055

Electrician of 17 years here OP

>Its a shit job
>but it pays the bills
>I would never wanna work in an office
>The job itself starts good cause your always >learning
>Then you become used to everything and get >bored
>Plumbing is shit don't even think
>I earn £28400 a year plus OT
>Stay away from Domestic work like its the >plague
>I just did a 12H shift and earned £240-tax
>>
>>670155581
Oh so it comes in the pretty close circular shape you want and then you machine the teeth and get it within the tolerances. Pretty efficient and cost effective.

The problem with making custom parts on your own is that people don't know what you're giving them. Being associated with a reputable company and adhering to ASTM standards assures them they're getting what they're paying for.
>>
>>670154806
>>670155455
We make good money and our overtime is double not 1.5. The companies mark up our labor though too and half our cost is paying for our kick ass benefits. I don't have any complaints. The work is pretty dangerous. Lot's of old timers missing tips of their fingers. The safety stuff has gotten much stricter however.
>>
>>670155581
Forgot to ask: Do you anneal / heat treat the product after machining it to ease the surface hardness you put in?
>>
>>670156532
>half our cost is paying for our kick ass benefits
what are the benefits like? is the work enjoyable?
>>
>>670148359
Why would you buy a property that loses value?
>>
>>670156508
Sometimes we receive blocks of cast steel and it's then cut into smaller slices. Then it's machined into whatever project or contracts it's intended to go to. Sometimes I don't even know who we are making them for.

>>670156801
>after machining it to ease the surface hardness you put in?
After? Yes we do
>>
>>670149996
Sheet Metal Worker in Chicago reporting. We make $41.65 now, but when I got in it was about 35 something 20 years ago. I've never looked back.
Also when I took the Aptitude test to get in, there where 6K+ applicants taking the test in the Plumbers hall (we have our own now) and that was A thru K. I was #9. They took 5 classes of 40 people each over the two years before they dump that list and start over.
>>
>>670150657
We had a kid that we called driftpin.
He was so thin and small, he could climb through a 12" round duct, and could pass a 8" coupling completely over himself, head to toe.
size and strength arent everything
>>
>>670150491
>detailer
>trade
>kek
>>
>>670157972
Ah so there's a lot of start up cost then if you wanted to do solo work. I'd honestly stick with the company then. Getting work would be very hard and I don't think you'd make enough initially to make minimum payments on the loans for the equipment.
>>
File: 1394414158490.jpg (123 KB, 342x468) Image search: [Google]
1394414158490.jpg
123 KB, 342x468
>>670144055
I'm in my 3rd year of a carpentry apprenticeship. The work is aggravating most of the time with being pushed to get shit done yesterday, but it pays the bills easily. I made $18.60/hr to start and Im up to $28 now. I get laid off in the winter (in WI), which I like, because I can take the time to learn other skills. Regardless of it being physically demanding and monotonous, Im glad I got into it, I had a lot of trouble paying bills before I got into a union.
>>
>>670157628
I didn't over pay like others did during the housing boom. never used the pretend equity/not upside down in my mortgage.
after 20 years house is now worth twice what I paid on todays market.
in 20 years house should double again. valued around $600,000.
>>
>>670158947
The awesome thing about Union work is that you just get a new job at your same payscale. never any worrying about starting over. also the union pays for any schooling night courses we take. I got all of my welding certifications, signal person training, rigging training, and man-lift training certs.
The welding certs have gotten me a job at a good company twice now and the I've made 100K+ the last two years with all the overtime
>>
File: 1453556348483.jpg (496 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
1453556348483.jpg
496 KB, 1280x1920
>>670158947
The down side of carpentry is that it can be learned by anyone on the job with no school necessary. Hell I'm just picking it up along the way to my bachelors (wood science). It is however very rewarding to be able to make things you want. I wouldn't do it as a job but as a hobby.
>>
>>670158947
I'm a 3rd year carpenters app in chicago
Great money for hard work. Made 10 grand in one month last year
>>
>>670159735
hhhhhnnnnnnnnnggg
>>
>>670149382
I'd still be embarrassed to tell people I'm a labourer.
>>
>>670160193
Me too
>>
>>670156437
>commercial electrical foreman here.
I make 44$ an hour. 97k last year. Not union. Not working on the rigs. Just working in a city in alberta.
>>
>>670145197
Collection repair here.
Valid.
Pretty much instead of buying books buy tools. Roughly 70,000 yearly
>>
>>670160193
Another goal in life is to have a very respectable profession. It's just a nice feeling knowing I don't have to worry about job security, Bernie Sanders ruining shit, and the economy as much.
>>
>>670160712
>Blaming Bernie already..
>>
>>670159725
I took a welding class, wasnt into it, but from what I hear you can get work anywhere anytime if you know how. Ive taken the rigging, signaling, rough terrain vehicle.. all that. Its unbelievable how much more Ive learned union than nonunion.

>>670159735
Im not planning on doing it forever, but really at this point it pays too much not to.

>>670159994

Ive heard chicago is pretty hardcore about guys coming in from out of town, like slashing tires and shit. But if I got paid what you guys did I probably would be too, whats it at now?
>>
Mason here
make $38 an hour
dropped out of high school
lifestyle is okay i guess
work can get from really slow and boring to "OMFG we gotta pour how many yards with 2 masons?!?!"
>>
>>670151981
Yeah. I worked for a landscaping company all last year and got a taste of bricklaying.

It's a lot of hustle, very physical work. You're basically being paid to lift weights. Who needs a gym, right?

You can expect to be the "labourer" for about a year before they start teaching you the finer points of bricklaying. It can be one of the highest paying trades out there, especially if you can do the fancy work. Problem is, it's all too easy to injure your back/knees/whatever and bring your career to a grinding halt. Just be careful of that, be prepared to work your ass off, and you can make some serious coin.
>>
File: 1452572455315.jpg (48 KB, 960x528) Image search: [Google]
1452572455315.jpg
48 KB, 960x528
>>670161044
If bernie wants to make it harder for businesses to make a profit then we'll just further mechanize our processes or just outright leave.
>>
>>670161119
Chicago is kinda hardcore, but for reasons, important ones.
All new construction done in Chicago is done explicitly Union. There are serious risks that go with working on Tall buildings, both during and after construction. If the building isn't put together correctly, following all of the building codes, and not taking shortcuts like non-union do, lots of people will be hurt or killed. The other thing is that the building wont work properly. If the duct work isnt installed correctly the building doesnt breathe. If the electric doesnt go in right, there could be terrible fires. If the plumbing isnt done right, there are back-ups and plugs that cost huge amounts to fix after the fact. Not to mention the Sprinkler Fitters work, All new buildings have to have fire sprinklers and rooms fire-sealed. Thats all stuff the3 non-union side doesnt teach and really kind of skimps on. I've seen non-union work done here in Chicago, its terrible and very unprofessional. Our Union reps try to keep an eye on things but somethings get through.
The negligence puts people in danger and the lack of training makes all the trades look bad.
>>
>>670162476
and another company will pop up to handle the demand. The solution cant always be to take wages from the workers.
>>
>>670163150
Yeah and that company wont know how to do that work for lack of experience and do a bad job for the client.
Better to hire union and do it right the first time.
>>
>>670163094
So its just keeping the rats out then? I see nothing wrong there. I wish guys around me would take the same stance.
>>
>>670163528
Basically the best companies will have the best options and we need to make sure America provides plenty of those options.

Minimum wage shouldn't be a comfortable wage. It should be the barely scraping by wage. Minimum work is minimum pay. Smh at anyone who works minimum at 35 old.
>>
>>670163094
Unions are fine until they get out of hand and screw with local politics and economics too much. I think they should just be a way of certifying that you're good at a job and not demanding a 60k starting salary.
>>
>>670163774
The rats come in, theres nothing you can do about it, they take everything we dont do, obviously. But, thats fine. there has to be a nitch for everyone, and I'll be the first to say out loud that you can't keep people from working. As staunch a Union supporter as I am, we just can't be everywhere and do everything. We can't, theres not enough of us and not everyone wants to work union. I totally insist we need people to man the gas stations (do the work that doesnt need training or minimal training)
But.... you can't have these rejects doing big work they arent prepared for, and endangering people or their clients.
Thier companies dont have the same standards as union company, (and even some small union shops dont have the safest practices as the big shops), and just get more people when others get hurt.
Are you disposable?
>>
>>670164817
Without a union to represent the workers, we'd all be fucked. Wages would drop for everyone, and safety regs would be thrown out the window. You would also say goodbye to any weekend. Unions have their problems, but they are necessary for the working class to not get reamed completely.
>>
>>670144055
IT Security expert her.

I have also skills in arc welding, DIY stuffs, mechanic,house building, mole trapping, and so on.
>>
Heavy equipment operations is really really fun, and depending what you do you don't HAVE to bust your ass. Went to vocational school and played around on dozers and escavators, got out and joined the union for 2 years. I had a non-related work injury and now have my medical marijuana card so I can't do that anymore. Good while it lasted tho. Good luck
>>
>>670164817
If youve ever seen some of the crap the unions fight against, you would revise your opinion.
and the unions are supposed to be the guarantee of quality labor, thats why we get paid the most.
The stuff Ive done in my career, a lot of it has been blood money. Anyone whoi says we make too much defiantly needs to come and work with us for a week and see how it really is. See if you can even keep up with the schedule and pace we work at regularly and not when we're being pushed, doing some of the dangerous stuff we do.
You need to try hanging off a building 50 stories up, with only a rope to keep you from going down. Everyone says they can do it, but they think for a couple minutes, not for a few hours and certainly not all day for weeks.
>>
>>670165164
<this
>>
Sheet Metal Apprentice here. I make $10.50/hr but that's mainly because the cost of living in Florida is fairly low. I also get medical and dental benefits from the company so I really can't complain. I know some mechanics get paid $14.50-$22.00/hr at my company
>>
File: 1452938238466.jpg (785 KB, 1152x1920) Image search: [Google]
1452938238466.jpg
785 KB, 1152x1920
>>670165164
I agree they are necessary, but you do get what you pay for and that includes labor. Unions have a tendency for being too greedy and overstepping their station. They can demand absurd benefits beyond their worth as a worker because they have large numbers of people who can go on strike. They're good but only in moderation.
>>
>>670164981
Yeah Ive gotten into some smaller shops that had union and nonunion guys. I'll say these guys knew what they were doing, but they cut corners and took risks that are unnecessary. I do concrete work mostly, that's no place to fuck around. I worked nonunion before, and it was the same, but in that case I had no health insurance or workmans comp so it was riskier. If they want to work, cool, but I dont want them getting me hurt because they dont feel like being safe.
>>
>>670150262
IBEW 103 reporting in. One of the best union pensions and annuities. top out at 6 figures plus health insurance for you and you immediate family,(wife and kids). One major benefit you guys are missing is side work, on top of steady work. Guys make a killing on the side or run little two men shops flipping houses and buying rental properties.
>>
>>670166684
They have to ask for more than they expect, its negotiating. If they didnt do that things would just be chipped away slowly.
>>
File: traumabay.jpg (303 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
traumabay.jpg
303 KB, 1600x1200
Emergency Medicine Resident Physician here, I'll talk about each of those points:

>8-12 hour shifts, no call schedule at all, when you're off, you're off. Most full time positions require 120hours/month = 12-15 shifts/month. Will work anywhere from 28-48 hours a week, but schedule is very flexible, so you can work 3 days, be off 4 days; work 5 days, be off 6-8 days; etc. Emergency Medicine lifestyle is definitely one of the best physician lifestyles out there.

>In academics, $220-300K/year. In big cities: $300-400K/yr. In rural or community ER's: anywhere from $350-650K/year, depending on region.

>Just the typical Bachelor's Degree (4 years), Medical Degree (4 years), and residency (3 years). Med school is definitely a lot more competitive than anything else you fuckers will ever attempt in your life. But like I always say, the hardest part is becoming qualified to get accepted to med school (high enough GPA, at least a B in all pre-reqs, high enough MCAT, enough research and volunteer work, etc), after that, it's just a matter of how many times you'll have to apply before they finally admit you.

>Hospitals begin recruiting you before you're even halfway through residency. Huge physician shortage = you can work wherever you want, and still negotiate a beautiful contract with sign-on bonuses bigger than most jobs yearly salary.

>It's all about who you know.
>>
Labouring on a masonry site
And doing high end renovations

21 an hour

HS drop out.
>>
File: 1445913629700.jpg (1 MB, 2112x2816) Image search: [Google]
1445913629700.jpg
1 MB, 2112x2816
>>670165905
I agree you work hard and we need you however anyone can do your job. A diamond is worth a lot because it has value and is rare. A bolt is worth less because it's valuable but very common. You're easily replaceable and common.
>>
>>670167066
Haha why didn't you do something hard to get into like derm, rad Onc, ortho.
>>
>>670166919
>One major benefit you guys are missing is side work, on top of steady work
How much can you make on the side?
>>
File: Safety First 1.jpg (153 KB, 790x1053) Image search: [Google]
Safety First 1.jpg
153 KB, 790x1053
>>670166758
I lot of people know what they're doing by dint of experience. They've been on the job for a while and know the score.
Nothing against mexicans, but the minorities come in and get hired at some company and just don't get it, can't do the work. And--- my biggest beef woth those people is that they seriously have no idea of the dangers they are standing in the middle of.
I really want to find that pic of the black guy who got his head crushed between two man-lifts to go with this post.
>>
>>670166983
And then we decide to outsource because you're not worth it. Or we mechanize. The lower scale jobs are disappearing particularly in America and you'll need to have more than a skill and union.
>>
>>670160348
I make more than that as e journeyman union
>>
>>670167255
Totally agree, when a wrench brakes, you replace it, right?
But I dont want to be replaced.
Do you you?
>>
>>670167538

Derm is boring af, same with rads, and ortho lifestyle (like any surgical specialty) has a horrible lifestyle, and surgeries are generally just boring to me.

I hate meticulous and mundane things, like looking at skin rashes all day, adjusting chronic meds, rounding, and surgery, so emergency med was the perfect fit.
>>
>>670167815
Well have fun with that, get cheaper less skilled workers who will work unsafely, getting themselves hurt and making the profit go up in smoke. If you could mechanize in a profitable way you would have by now, and I dont really care, there's still work out there without your company.
>>
>>670168050
Within production I'm higher up on the ladder than the unions so I'm not easily replaceable. If you demand more than what you're worth then don't bother coming back tomorrow. Not everyone can have the american dream and that's ok.
>>
>>670167621
as much as you want to work i have made 400 bucks in 5 hours installing a dishwasher i have made 800 driving to emergencies in the snow. You could start your own business as well if you really have time hire some non union journeyman (if your a master electrician). Let him work during the day while you keep your union job. You could make a killing flipping houses with other guys in different trades. Once you have the skills the money is all yours for the taking.
>>
>>670168249
We are mechanizing more. Especially seeing as how people are demanding higher wages. There's a whole world out there. Finding a sufficient factory is not hard.
>>
>>670144400
Depends what you're studying
>>
>>670148359
Preach
>>
>>670169386
Good for you, but it will be a while until skilled laborers arent needed. There's a reason its called skilled labor. This same thing is happening in most industries with the progression of technology, but good luck finding a factory to build a bridge in the middle of wisconsin.
>>
>>670150262
No you can just fuck up someone's wiring when they're not home and boom you have work
>>
>>670167815
Its always down to the bean-counters, right?
You get to determine what has worth and what doesn't. Because you guys know anything about anything?
I think you guys are the most worthless people on the planet, so out of touch with reality, that you can't see the bigger picture and so unwilling to make a small sacrifice for the larger whole, especially where money is concerned.
I hate the entire idea of letting pencil pushers make decisions for the good of the working world. The way they figure it, it will always be cheaper now than to do it right so it will last for later. Goes along with the entire disposable everything generation problem. Shortcuts now only lead to problems later, and that will NEVER change.
>>
>>670144400
Dropping out of college to try and take the shortcut is generally a bad idea. You're going to have to work your ass off to have a better life no matter what. A 4 year degree is typically the best route to take because it puts you above a lot of the squabbling and gives you more options and respect.
>>
>>670169185
I tack a thousand dollars to any AC job I do in the summer and still come out a grand under the competition. Most of my work come from word of mouth after a few years and I have to turn stuff away a lot now, because of the overtime at work.
Side jobs seem to come in spurts for me, so its not reliable as regular work hours at a company
>>
>>670150007
How long have you wanted to work at Starbucks ?
>>
>>670150007
lol, -green-
Do you drive a prius, too?
>>
>>670170710
I agree i was really trying to encourage side work wile being in the union. It is extra money and really in the end its up to you how much you want to put in. You could do small stuff for Friends or you could get a van and print business cards and market yourself like crazy until you have jobs to turn down all the time. I stress the union because the pension especially the local 103 is amazing. The old guys just buy new trucks and fish all the time.
>>
>>670149382
>laborer
Good one
>>
>>670150007
You done goofed dude, at least we're going through a wood sciences boom right now so it's a guaranteed job at least, that's like at least half a step higher then an art degree
>>
>>670170044
We do see the bigger picture. That's why we guide the company. The product only has to be so good to sell. Anyone can over/under engineer, but getting the balance just right is an art. Besides technology is so rapidly evolving that things become obsolete after ~5 years. Making a product to last exactly that long is how you win.

You act as though you're entitled to a cozy comfortable life. No one owes you anything.
>>
>>670171404
Well, they don't like it when we moonlight, the whole thing about being union, is that they find us the work to do and we -do- the work.
Those are the rules we all agreed to when we started this whole thing.... and I like rules. I like the rules we have in place.
So, to that effect, when I do side jobs, they're only for friends, or friends of friends, and I try to give them the best price I can, because I feel thats my part of things, stepping into the contractors shoes. If I can do the work better and more thoroughly than someone else, I'm doing my job, and thats what I live for. (other than 40K)
>>
>>670159735
Why don't you do something more useful then playing with your woodie and post more of her
>>
>>670171288
>>670171094

lol no. Global warming is a pretty simple concept, I like efficiency, and I can profit a lot by getting to the party early.
>>
>>670162476
Yeah let's just reinstate slavery since it's easier to turn a profit
>>
>>670172635
Yes it's a simple concept. When the global warming jobs start you're prepared good job.
>>
>>670154113

You could become a watchmaker. That's what I am gonna do.
>>
>>670172153
I'm saying you aren't as good at your job as you would like to think.
As for my cozy life, that ends up being what I make it. The entitlement to fair compensation for my work is totally expected, and justified. After all, if you actually cared about what happens later, you'd be out here doing the work instead of me, and profiting directly from the labor, so you didn't have to come back and do it over again!
One can always count on an office person to totally screw up everything and spend huge amount of money to cover their asses while passing the blame down the line, so their bosses don't fire them when the screw up gets noticed.
Office people scatter like the roaches they are when the spotlight of failure gets turned on.
>>
>>670171972
Environmentalism is ever increasing since the 80's. I'll be plenty fine. I picked up other things along the way to have plenty of flexibility
>>
>>670173342
How many people were in your classes?
How many jobs are there right now? not down the line, but right now, because you know, you have to eat right now....
>>
>>670173340
Sounds like you work for a pretty shitty company. I promise they're not all like that. When you run things correctly, you fire the lowest people, pay the best ones more, and have less people overall. You can tell how effective a company is by how few people it needs. Mechanization is not a bad thing.
>>
>>670144055
Chemist
Bachelors need but I have a PhD in organic synthesis and entomology
240k a year plus bonus and travel expenses
I work for an agricultural research center and my focus is on developing new pesticides and have started to focus mainly on mammal pest deterrent ( they like us to call it that rather then bunny poison ) and my current project is actually on a series based on lysergic acid
But yeah love my job and it's what I always wanted to do
>>
>>670174042
My dad's a petroleum engineer, there's a ton of traveling involved which sucks but we'll always need oil and at this point the industry can only go up since it's shit right now
>>
>>670174292
You keep talking about mechanizing...what aspects are you mechanizing? As far as skilled trades go, it's hard to mechanize.
>>
>>670174042
Mods
>>
>>670174702
Have your dad get you a job, and learn from him.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
CNC Mill Machinist
Intercase for Rolls- Royce Trent Engine
93,000 with OT last year
Cant complain
>>
>>670174292
Yeah it is haven't you ever seen Terminator ? Not good dude
>>
>>670174042
Don't. That industry will still be huge but slightly shrinking in the future so only the experienced people will be employed. Get a flexible technical skill. Working in the oil industry isn't bad but make sure you aren't tied to it.
>>
>>670145197
agreed
>>
310T ( truck and coach tech ) here in Canada , got in through a free pre-apprenticeship program 23 weeks and got a placement at the end of it where I've been for five years in sept. Licensed I'm making 45k a year to start not bad for something the govt practically gave away the schooling for
>>
>>670174756
I'm talking about understanding factory processes and being able to control input variables to optimize the process. It's certainly a skill to understand everything and takes a lot of training, but doesn't require a degree. Then there are maintenance that keeps the machines running. We employ 122 people and are the #2 in america for profit in what we do.
>>
>>670153140
not a trucker myself but have close friends who are, it all depends if youre an independent contractor or for an agency. My friend made $120K last year independently
>>
CAT Scan Tech. 75k/ year. Like working at McDonalds but with people instead of burgers. Doctors like the one above, order pointless scans and subject society to mega doses of unnecessary radiation every minute of every day. Was a cool job 20 years ago, now I am thankfull to be transitioning to something else.
>>
>>670174860
No I was giving that dude some advice I'm a chemist posted above, growing up during summers I would work on oil crews but younger then 18 there's only so much you can do legally with job site safety being considered I'd mostly just move piping around and fetch shit for people and be the dude with small hands when stuff got stuck, also worked on my uncles farm doing butchering there which is a great trade to get in, meat cutters can make a lot of money
>>
Trades are fucking awesome.
>>
>>670144055
>Job- Welder Fabricator and Mechanic
>Lifestyle- Work all week and drink all weekend
>Pay- 16 beans an hour with 2 hours overtime daily I'm aware I could easily make more but I like where I'm at
>Training- Highschool welding class and on the job experience, also community college welding program just needed practice on TIG machines that I dont have at home/work
>Stability- I'm the only welder at my company so chances of getting canned are slim to none, I'm actually in line to take over the shop in a couple years when my boss retires
>Trades are where it's at for me but to each their own
>>
>>670174292
And you're so naive that it hurts to reply.
Are you 12?
No one ever gets fired for not doing their job or just doing a bad job. Nepotism and excuses is so rampant in office politics it make me sick. I have yet to see or hear about a office puke that has been so maligned in the industry that they can't get another job because of whatever incompetance they preformed.
but it happens to tradesman all the4 time. I personally know three guys its happened too and they were all retards that shouldn't even man a gas station. but it never happens to office people no matter how bad they screw up.
>>
>>670174982
No its going to be expanding at least in the US sanctions with the Saudis appear imminent
>>
>>670175588
So you really arent even talking about skilled labor, so why are you telling skilled laborers youll mechanize their jobs? Im assuming you're talking about something like PLC programming right? Thats factory workers, that's not the same thing as an electrician or carpenter.
>>
>>670144055

IBEW Power lineman.

Work anywhere in the US and Canada once you get your journeyman ticket.

Pay varies state to state but the lowest payscale I've heard of is around $29/hr and there's as much overtime in the trade as you can ask for. Also storm restoration work pay is killer.

The union apprenticeship is approximately 3.5 years. You're paid the whole time with raises every 4-6 months and yearly raises.

Benefits are unbeatable. No cost health insurance, no cost retirement plan, IBEW pension plan and so on.
>>
Anyone know any train engineers ? I always thought that'd be cool like probably get tons of time to read. Also you get to kill like two people a year on average
>>
>>670176702
Reach for your dreams anon
>>
>>670176702

You have to kill a train engineer to become one
>>
>>670175916
>>670174982
>>670174702
Have any of you guys seen or heard of any of the fifth and sixth generation nuclear reactors going to be built in china in the next 25 years?
The molten salt nuclear reactor technology is dependent on Thorium for fuel, can't make nuclear weapons grade material and china has no qualms about sending men to die in the radioactive rare-earth metals mines.
Most of the countries that mine for rare-earth metals actively avoid any ore-viens that have high levels of thorium because of the risks to personnel, but china is stock piling thorium just for fueling their reactors.
If they pioneer all the new technology, the west will have to but their designs before we make our own to catch up....
I saw a few youtube vids on it and then did some research. They developed this reactor in the 50's for the nuclear bomber project. Its very interesting and will have several long-term effects on the entire energy climate.
>>
anybody know any college accessible trades / careers in Ontario that pay well and will need workers for next few years?
>>
>>670174042
working in the oil industry sounds awful.
i don't know how oil mining works, but there are probably productivity quotas. if you don't reach those quotas too many times, you'll get fired.

in addition, oil mining isn't going to be around for ever, like other anons said
>>
>>670175746
When you keep detailed records of everything that happens you can easily troubleshoot the problematic people and adjust accordingly. "You're not performing your job to our standards." It also probably helps our profits are skyrocketing and we can afford to be picky. Every company is run differently. We found our methods to work nicely
>>
>>670176978
Well shit, I guess I should have expected that. I don't live far from a train yard, fortunate if I'm going to have to kill one, unfortunate for the amount of sleep that place has wrecked for me. Any recommendations for killing a train engineer like do they have any unique weaknesses ?
>>
>>670177885
If you cum in their mouth they die instantly.
>>
>>670177308

yes i read about this bullshit nuclear salt canada company pimping this too bad it doesnt work
>>
>>670177885

They are weak to fire and work
>>
>>670177701

Sounds like bullshit micromanaging
>>
I'm joining the navy on an IT contract what could I do with certifications and experience when I get out?
>>
>>670177673
If you call it oil mining you have no concept of how it works lol and what jobs don't have a productivity quota if they are either making something or harvesting something ?
>>
>>670178309
Go into IT.... you can do all kinds of shit. I know a guy who did the same thing and he has a very successful computer repair service now.
>>
>>670178046
Well, for all the money that it sounds like they are planning on throwing at it, they might make it work
>>
>>670144400
I'm doing the opposite. I got tired of the instability, fluctuating pay, process of hiring. Trade work is great if your in a gov or utilities position. I've worked with a lot of veteran electricians, most are miserable, over worked, and have not much to show. When you start thinking of retirement and 401k is when it gets clear.
I got laid off (which happens frequent) and decided enough is enough, and signed up for uni. I enjoyed the work I did, but I been putting off school for 10 years. I don't want to live with lacking stability the trade warrants, and starting a new path to the best me I can be.
>>
>>670177308
Wait you actually believe that shit ? I'm going to assume you listen to Alex Jones for your news
>>
>>670178309

Do more work for the Navy.

They will fuck you in the ass with their contracts.

Also you have to do this every morning:

https://youtu.be/mV8jVGzop6o
>>
File: ibew.png (71 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
ibew.png
71 KB, 380x380
>>670150262
I'm
Broke
Every
Winter
>>
>>670178028
Is there an easy way to maybe put them to sleep so I can ya knoe pop one off in there mouth easier ? I don't know if I can wrestle one down while simultaneously masturbating
>>
File: 1452937281205.jpg (328 KB, 1280x867) Image search: [Google]
1452937281205.jpg
328 KB, 1280x867
>>670178251
In order for my part to run smoothly I have to keep hourly records of everything. When things aren't running smoothly my boss will look at my records and see what's up. If I'm continuously inefficient then I'm incompetent and not fit for the job. The micromanaging isn't in excess. It's there for a reason.
>>
>>670179055
Take a ride on any train, theyll most likely be asleep or drunk already. Youll want to fluff beforehand so you can just pop one out real quick.
>>
>>670150262

Being an electrician is suffering.

>low pay
>too much work
>too many electricians
>make a mistake and you die
>in ten years you will wish for death anyways
>>
>>670178096
Well maybe I can use fire arrows I'll check to see if they sell those at Walmart or does anyone know ? I mean I live in the US so there's gotta be a place somewhere that sells fire arrows, I have a Bow already
>>
>>670178744
well, I'm kinda a fan of nuclear anything.
I like the idea of going forward to new planes of efficiency in power generation and getting more out of things than whats put in.
My favorite was the whole article on the Nuclear Boyscout. That guy had way more ideas and drive thatn i did as a kid. all i did was start a massive fire with 30 car batteries and six miles of copper wire trying to make a particle projection cannon with an electric arc furnace. That kid made a functioning breeder reactor.
>>
>>670179428
Yeah like $60/hr is horrible. Where you from?
>>
>>670179327

I reduce the micromanaging by just flooding cheese and soapmakers with water.
>>
>>670179428
>>670179630
Like I said before, sometimes its blood money.
We don't get paid enough for the risks we take.
>>
>>670179630

Luxembourg
>>
>>670179819
I get that, but its nothing to sneeze at. A lot of people would envy it.
>>
>>670179819
There are plenty of electricians. Learning the trade doesn't require any degree, but a decent amount of training. Your value is based on supply and demand. There is a decent number of you and a high demand. That means a somewhat decent pay.
>>
>>670179396
Best job ever, that's why you have to kill one to become one I see, it's the ultimate job security. I'm guessing there's a lengthened life span from the extra sleep. I saw that one movie once with Denzel Washington on the train that was a good one. I wouldn't do anything to stop the train from towns or whatever, fuck people. Knew that movie was bullshit, who becomes a train driver not to run people over isn't that probably considered a benefit of the job
>>
>>670180375
I figured that was the only reason people went into it. Why else would anyone do it.
>>
>>670177701
you missed what >>670175746 tried to say.
office schmucks are exempt from those detailed records. do you think a receptionist will get fired just because nobody came in for a week?

an electrician who is expected to fix a motor in 8 hours and uses 10, and this happens all day for a week will be sternly spoken with.

read this again
>No one ever gets fired for not doing their job or just doing a bad job. Nepotism and excuses is so rampant in office politics it make me sick. I have yet to see or hear about a office puke that has been so maligned in the industry that they can't get another job because of whatever incompetance they preformed.

while leveraging workplace politics is really used to its fullest effect by white collar workers, it's also used by tradesmen and union folks. even if you are an incompetent tradesman, as long as people like you in your union or job you're hard to fire.

i knew a guy who was in the air force for 4 years. he got out of the air force, got a job at some company. he saw workplace politics, but decided to just work hard and ignore it. well, the company fell on bad times, and he wasn't laid off in the first wave. he was laid off in the third wave. in waves 1 and 2, he saw that the people who were fired were people who worked hard and didn't really do politics and the people who didn't get laid off were the ones who spent a lot of time on workplace politics instead of workplace work. this happened at 2 more companies, and all 3 of the companies went bankrupt.

i worked at a warehouse. anybody who had been there for more than 5 years was unfireable. most of them did work fast enough to reach their productivity targets, but the ones who didn't, they didn't get fired. they were in the good ol' boy network, and so, exempt from too close of scrutiny.
>>
>>670179578
I'm a chemist, the shit won't work
>>
Dildo sculptor

25$/hour, high demand and easy work
>>
>>670179578
The FBI is now monitoring everything you're doing now
>>
>>670180773

Cook some meth you whore
>>
>>670144400
Is your major in business or something? You could stay in, pick up that degree. Become an electrician and open your own company.
>>
>>670180773
I figured that out after the barrel melted. In hindsight, I should have installed some type of cooling on the barrel, considering how much heat the magnetic coils would generate as a direct short with that many amps.
I did however manage to burn a two inch hole through an eight inch tree that I put directly in front of the barrel. It sort of worked.
>>670181041
Thats fine. If they need someone to help with the navy rail-gun project, I'll happily consult for free.
>>
>>670180748
the production manager doesn't let office politics fly at all. Our company is doing exceptionally well so we get the best hires and there isn't really any bad times at the moment. We have to keep detailed records because doing our job effectively depends on being able to access previous iterations and see why it went right or wrong. If your company is good at what it does then you don't have office politics. Merit will speak for you
>>
>>670152784
What do you want to know? and where are you from? Information is very location specific in the ambulance industry.
>>
>>670180955
I actually make glass dildos as a hobby, I've gotten a lot better I had a string of one's that would crack after insertion and some women bitched and the judge didn't like my defense being based on the factc they bleed from their pussy anyway. Guess I made a couple mistakes in my life none of its my fAult tho I tell my neighbors that everytime I move to a new area after they sign the forms saying they know I live there, I also run a babysitting business, I dont have any clients yet but I'm going to pump some money into advertising
>>
Apprentice Tile Setter here,

Unionized
Local kind of screws setters on pay, finishers make more until the last six months of the apprenticeship, which is 4 years for setters, 3 for finishers.

Actual setting easy, floor prep hard.

Do monkey work for first 6 months, get fucked with hard, just to see if you'll make it, make it through that and you're golden.

Everyone wants side work: charge around $250 a day depending on work (either by sq. footage, or by hours worked, charge more for intricate stuff.)

I have my bachelor's working on my master's. Glad I'm learning a trade too.
>>
>>670152784
My best friend is one and if you don't have a strong stomach don't even think about it, he sends me pics though here and there
>>
Sasquatch investigator

30$/hour

we named our tracking dog Mononoke

hes gay
>>
I work at a coal power plant processing coal it's really easy we work 12 hr days 4/4 shifts which is awesome. I make 34/hr last year with a little ot I made 92 and guys usually make 100+k
>>
>>670182028
Apprentice tile setter lol so what makes someone a professional tile setter ? Aldo any pics ?
>>
>>670181876
>I make malfunctioning dildos but it's not my fault
>I committed a serious crime that forces me to introduce myself to neighbors, but it's not my fault.

Everything you just said is irrefutably your fault. If you can't take responsibility for your actions and life then you're just doomed to make more shitty decisions.
>>
>>670182028
Youre getting a master's in tile setting ? Wtf
>>
File: 1456094308337-1301055944.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
1456094308337-1301055944.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>670182200
>>
>>670178375
well, anon called it "oil mining industry" so i called it "oil mining", and i even said already i don't know how it works. i know looking for oil involves digging deep shafts and placing dynamite at the bottom of them and then analyzing the data (i think they do a fourier transform or some other waveform analysis) to make accurate guesses about what's in the earth.

it's because of those productivity quotas the jobs suck cock.

i knew a guy who worked at a windfarm. he said all the mechanics and electricians were fucking awful people. all they did at lunch was talk about the women they fucked. married and single guys talked like that. all they did was work during the day and drink a hell of a lot on the weekends. probably because that lifestyle fucks your body.

oil rigs are the same way, but the people there are 10 times bigger assholes. i had an electrical engineering teacher in college. he used to work at those oil rigs in the gulf of mexico. whenever an oil rig was down, he was flown in on a helicopter to fix the problem as fast as fucking possible. no sleep, literally, work on this until you fix it. every day one of those rigs is down cost the company something like 1 or 5 million dollars. that engineering teacher was a giant, bitter, asshole worthy of nothing but scorn. the best part? he's not even a teacher at that school anymore. only was there a few years. now he's a teacher in china, torturing those poor chinese kids with his awful english.
>>
>>670182550
Well yeah I told them they should use lube and they didn't. And that girls shirt wasn't on rightbit shouldn't have ripped off so easily like what the hell happened to parenting ? I don't even think it was buttoned what kind of parent would let there kid out with their shirt not buttoned properly ?
>>
>>670182353
Doing it is pretty simple, but there's a lot to learn, there's some math, but that's not hard, mostly fractions, learning how to lay out a room, dealing with some other trades' fuck ups, what sort of thinset to use, how to level a floor, what materials.

When it comes to setting the tile it really depends. Large format tile (anything with a side that's larger than 15 inches) can get really tricky. If the floor isn't right, you'll have lippage, and with smaller tile, like 4x4 it won't create lippage, but it'll follow the way the floor or wall goes, which is hardly ever flat, and you can see it once the tile is up.

It's really in all the prep work. I've run a few bathroom walls up, have done a few showers, etc. I'm only a second year, so I still do a lot of the monkey work, but the new apprentice that just got hired is taking most of the shit now.

I've run a few side-jobs, mostly for friends/family. Kitchens, bathrooms, countertops. Make all my money in side-jobs.

Sadly, I don't have any pics available.
>>
>>670182778
It's because of those productivity quotas the business stays in business... also that's what guys do in most jobs, I'm a chemist and that's the same shit we talk about but we are more drug using vs gettying shit faced drunk. Drugs that won't show up on any tests, the job has its benefits... lol also btw quaaludes totally rock
>>
>>670182565
Nah, Military History and Strategic studies. The union actually tried to set me up to get an Associate's in Construction Management because the Apprenticeship classes actually count towards college credit. (I'm not doing it though)
>>
>>670181681
>the production manager doesn't let office politics fly at all.

awesome.

but every company has office politics in some way. unless the production manager is the ceo, he's playing a political game with his higher ups and probably those near to him in authority at your plant. it doesn't matter how good your company is, every company has workplace politics somewhere, in some capacity, big or small, usually closer to big. but i agree, crappy companies probably do have more workplace politics than good ones.
>>
>>670183210
O I really wanted some pics for my collection, never really thought of that sorry for being condescending I guess there would be a lot of factors of the job I never thought of
>>
>>670179819
It's not dangerous work. You shouldn't be working on anything that's energized.
>>
>>670182979
> A glass dildo broke because there was no lube.
It takes a lot more than that for a glass dildo to break. Your product was defective.
>You grabbed and pulled a girl's shirt but it shouldn't have ripped off.
So why were you trying to pull some girl's shirt anyways?

Dumb decisions dude. It's not even hard avoiding this stuff. You cooled the glass to quickly. You don't get into fights with girls. Just walk away
>>
>>670180713
I know I thought that was sort of the point to honk a horn and run over people
>>
>>670145197
Yeah, that's what they said about a house. I bought mine in 2006. 10 years later it's been appraised at 90% of what I paid for it.
>>
>>670159273

Um, you know the market is going to crash hard, right? Housing prices in America and Canada are stagnating now. You should never buy a house as an investment.
>>
>>670183807
I'm Sheet Metal, bro.
I carry a wiggy with me just in case I have to take out a fan motor from a rooftop.
Powered equipment isn't the only danger we face day to day. Theres too many to list.
>>
>>670183805
I didn't take it as such.

I have some on my phone, which is downstairs, and I'm just too lazy to post them on here.

All-in-all I like the work, my foreman's are mostly pretty cool, take longer breaks than usual, get fed often from owner of the company, and more or less get decent bonuses, on top of the vacation checks that I get from my local hall every 6 months (which is about 2 grand per six months)

Days go by fast, helps keep me in shape, and you learn something that most people will pay an arm and a leg for.
>>
>>670160193

I'm a comedian. I'd be embarrassed to tell people I have a real job.
>>
>>670184420
Do you ever laugh about being a shitty comedian ?
>>
>>670184353
Okay, the guy was responding to the electrician not you, sheet metaler.

I worked construction too, it's not even that dangerous. Stop being a pussy.
>>
File: 1031_tn03.jpg (83 KB, 470x700) Image search: [Google]
1031_tn03.jpg
83 KB, 470x700
>>670183663
Effective companies don't need politics. We keep detailed records. It's so minimal that it's more playful than anything. Occasionally someone gets yelled at but there's nothing really unjustifiable. The records are your shield or your grave.
>>
>>670184353
Can you translate this into something a non whatever field you're in would understand ? Mostly because anything you carry around something called a wiggy sounds fun actually
>>
>>670184652
lol, it was my post.
>>
>>670144055
name of this bitch?
>>
>>670184963
Then don't imply you're an electrician.
>>
>>670185063
tiffany
>>
>>670184732
Company politics are like a penis . They aren't really completely necessary but they make peeing much more enjoyable
>>
>>670151220
Midwest Residential Plumber. Remodels, repiping drain clearing, the whole sha-bang. I started at $15 and a half year later I bought a house, with some help. Plumbing is dirty, no shit. Water heaters filled with 20 years of sludge in them is never too much fun to remove.but on the day to day it is actually a very fun job. New construction is where the money is at. I've spent half days doing mediocre jobs, and my company charging +$1000. But like another anon said, check and double check. The last thing needed is a flooded house.
>>
>>670184732
Got anymore of these two?
>>
>>670185479
For masturbation purposes
>>
>>670144055
If you saw me work you'd say I'm a tour guide for handicapped people, however my formation is more about the handling people than what we actually do in group.

It's mostly elders and retards, about 5-15, I'm lucky since they usually have enough brain capacity to know what I'm saying, people mostly don't bring pure potato to cultural stuff (theatre museum movies concert whatever, needs general knowledge) I'm usually paid the basic here which makes for you uh...10.7$ an hour, and at best around 1600 a month, depends of the contracts, who you work for and stuff.
>>
File: 1453100098572.jpg (496 KB, 1729x1402) Image search: [Google]
1453100098572.jpg
496 KB, 1729x1402
>>670185247
Until you're known as that asshole and everyone puts you back in your place. There are coworkers and CERTAINLY people who are higher up that can keep you in check. Everyone wants a chill environment.
>>
>>670184954
Its an indicator that lights up and buzzes when held near a live power source, like live wires, electric outlets and switches by field induction
Guys call it a wiggy for the sound.
>>670185166
You have to be part electrician to do your own sidework. And I at least know enough about the other major mechanical trades work I constantly work around to not get into trouble.
Everyone who's been in the trades for over a decade should (and I know thats opinion, but still doesnt make it wrong) know the basics of the other trades to help them in their jobs to get the whole job done that much more thoroughly.
I feel it part of your job as a good union tradesman.
>>
>>670183550
>It's because of those productivity quotas the business stays in business...

no. companies are just greedy as fuck (although, they have to, because if they don't then it's basically looking over the top of your trench in ww1, and you're gonna get domed by snipers)
anyway. companies just get super fucking butthurt when they make less profit than last year or last quarter, or whatever.
i could elaborate more, but i'll just ask you to consider how expensive it is for macy's to maintain a store (employees, product, etc) and how expensive those products are. even if 1 person only spends 20 dollars on average, they're getting probably a thousand customers most days.
>>
Join the CAF for a trade. Get paid good money to do then do your apprenticeship hours on the weekends. By the time your terms of service are done youll have lots of exeprience, probably your ticket fepensing how haed you work or could even challenge it depending what it is. CAF salary isnt bad.
>>
>>670150007
i got some good wood the other day, but it started to hurt my foreskin .. .advice?
>>
wich tiffany?
>>
>>670185912
That girl in thr brown is fire dude, but yeah I don't have much office politics, I work in a chemistry department at which I regularly here about a dozen languages a day so it's hard forbthat stuff to develop when people don't understand each other well. There's a couple girls that hate each other one of those being my fault and a gay guy who thinKS no one knows and over compensates by hitting on like every woman there rides a Harley and makes fun of people for not liking football lol office romances aren't uncommon at all though and causes some issues or when me and sone friends from there all came in after halo 4 was released and went to thw lecture hall at one in the morning with tons of beer and played on the huge projector, we all ended up passed out and the head of the whole building wasn't too happy
>>
>>670184732
it really sounds like your workplace/company works for 2 reasons
1. effective.
2. nobody where you work wants that kind of workplace(backstabbing and plotting and politicking).

i really feel like the second one is more important than the first.
>>
>>670185998
Wow thats pretty cool never heard of one just reads magnetic field ?
>>
>>670186394
Well if they are a corporation they have to legally, and if they don't make more then their competitors they go out of business, like I said.
>>
>>670184732
More of the one on the right ?
>>
File: 9b29c966.jpg (2 MB, 3456x5184) Image search: [Google]
9b29c966.jpg
2 MB, 3456x5184
>>670187140
don't forget the records. To keep up with all the shit going on in the production process, you have to keep records of input and output variables. When things don't work, you trouble shoot and can precisely find the problems with few uncertainties. The few uncertainties can lead to a few politics but that's about it.
>>
>>670187287
You can get them at any hardware store, or big box type.
Its just an indicator that says there is electrical potential nearby.
Have you ever seen any of the underground utilities guys marking out the ground with spray paint, showing paths of pipes or wires? Same thing but farther reach and more sensitive.
>>
>>670187287
That's literally how amp meters work. Volt meters however require the meter to be in the circuit.
>>
>>670185875
Answered nothing except pay, at least you have context, so then...
Lifestyle, gotta work with others in team, usually lots of different people, that's correct, at least usally not bothersome
Pay, told ya up there
Training, for everyone, basic shit that's around a month for pure theory, separated into full time weeks on a longer time period where you work unspecialized.
Stability, none since that's one-time contracts and the longer are really rare. Six months is almost a dream but there is almost always work. But if there's nothing I can still work with kids and they always look for people.

Vs uni? Not worth much except if you're made for it. I'm not, but it pays for now.
>>
>>670188217
You sir are a good man
>>
>>670187498
>legally
you mean companies have to, by law, earn a profit? what country is this? this seems like total bs.

a company won't go out of business because they don't make more money than their competitors. they'll go out of business because they're in debt for too long or people stop buying their product for too long(usually for some kind of misconception) or legal bull shit. lots of reasons really.

i really don't think you're understanding how often companies underpay their workers (all their workers, except those at the top, and even those people are sometimes underpaid, but that's extremely rare in usa)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.