[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched Serial Experiment Lain. What anime should i watch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10
File: Lain.jpg (196 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Lain.jpg
196 KB, 1024x768
Just watched Serial Experiment Lain.

What anime should i watch next that is bizarre and/or philosophical?
>>
Now and Then, Here and There
>>
boogipop phantom
>>
Gosenzosama Banbanzai
>>
>>612265781
a similar one is in my opinion Mardock Scramble, but it has more action, it starts with a 15 years old hooker getting burnt alive in a car
>>
>>612265781
not sure if it counts but parasyte came to mind

not super bizarre or philosophical but has qualities of both.
>>
Neon Genesis Evangelion is deeply philosophical, mostly towards the end half once shit gets real. Also you might like Paranoia Agent, I didn't like it much since you can't distinguish between supernatural and psychological shit.
>>
Holy shit I started warching yesterday, I am on 2 episode, weird to find out some anon watch such a underrated anime as well at the present day, present time HAHAHAHA
>>
Ergo Proxy.
Not as good as SEL, but then again, what is.
>>
Let's all love Lain!
>>
>>612265781
Steins: Gate. Great anime about time travel.
>>
Texhnolyze
Ergo Proxy
Kino's Jouney
>>
>>612265781

Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent.
>>
>>612267669
>underrated
This is a bait, right?
I'd actually say that Lain is overall 4chan's second most favorite anime in terms of how many people like it.
>>
>>612267166

parasyte was a good manga
>>
>>612268555
I never read the manga i just watched the anime the recently made. I was pretty pleased. i had read that it followed the manga pretty well though
>>
>>612268752

I didn't know they had made an anime until like a couple days ago, finna go balls dep in that shit.
>>
>>612268970
yee go for it. only 24 eps so it goes quick. but its pretty intense
>>
Paranoia agent
>>
>>612268398
Damn right second favorite, you can't touch Boku no Pico.
>>
>>612265781
>anime
>philosophical

Pick one, kid.
>>
>>612265781
FLCL or Princess Mononoke
>>
File: 1428046933246.gif (271 KB, 500x393) Image search: [Google]
1428046933246.gif
271 KB, 500x393
JoJo's BIZARRE Adventure. It's literally in the title.
I mean look at this shit.
>>
>>612269303
watched it
was not dissapointed
>>
>>612267782
>>612267489
these and paprica
>>
File: dassfda.gif (146 KB, 310x282) Image search: [Google]
dassfda.gif
146 KB, 310x282
>>612269303
I'd touch the shit out of Pico.
>>
I don't know, ask /a/ maybe?
>>
File: Louise.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Louise.gif
1 MB, 500x500
>>612268398
>>612265781

Great series, but severely underrated as a whole. 4chan is just a pocket where it's talked about enough that it gets watched and liked. Go to other sites and no one has heard of it.

For the love of god, please avoid Ergo Proxy. That fucking show was terrible. It tried to be deep and philosophical, and by deep and philosophical I mean they each episode is roughly 5-15 minutes of brooding silence as people stare at things or away from eachother. The plot is crap, the characters are paper thin, and the art style, although interesting at first, does not make a decent story. It had good direction for photography, but not for story or action. What takes them 15 episodes should be done in 5-10.

You want some good recommendations OP? Here are a few:

Speed Grapher

Paprika

Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original series, not movies) (Just as guilty of the dramatic silence, but at least it builds to something good)

After you watch NGE, watch Ouron High Host Club, and watch it knowing that it's a prequel to NGE and that each of the main characters becomes one of the adults in NGE. Shit lines up and it is trippy as balls. (though this is more of a Dark Side of OZ sort of a "they go together")

Paranoia Agent is good, but leaves a lot to be desired from the ending.

FLCL
It's only 6 episodes long and you can take it 1 of 2 ways. Either watch it as a fluff pop-culture reference comedy, or watch it as an artistic piece where a boy experiences puberty entirely as external conflicts.

While I try to think of others, here's a trippy gif of Louise Belcher as Lain.
>>
>>612270087
>Paprika
Literally anything by Satoshi Kon then.
Perfect Blue would probably be a better choice for OP if they want something Lain-like.
>>
File: Shinsekai Yori.jpg (223 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
Shinsekai Yori.jpg
223 KB, 640x960
You should definitely watch Shinsekai Yori
>>
>>612270181
I really enjoyed the pacing of Ergo Proxy. The philosophical parts were not really necessary, like you said. But they still felt like a worthwhile addition and something I enjoyed immensely as it added a new layer to the show.
I have to say I agree with pretty much all your criticisim, it's just that I somehow liked EP despite all that.
>>
>>612270293
I thought of adding that in too, but I feel that Perfect Blue gets too much press and doesn't live up to the hype. It's like throwing the original Ghost in the Shell on here.

Also, watch the original Ghost in the Shell.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>612270331
Watching at the moment.
Love it.
Too bad the FUCKING CUNT uploader only has the Japanese audio in the first two episodes. Fucking dual audio? My ass. Shithead.

Also pic related, Mind game, OP might like.
>>
>>612270890
Actually, scratch that, the image is from Tekkonkinkreet. Worth a watch as well.
>>
>>612270623
A friend of mine was very moved by it, so he loaned me the dvd box set. I tried 3x to watch it from start to finish. I just could not relate to any of the characters, nor give a damn about their plight. So much of it is, "This is terrible. If only I weren't so sad about how terrible this is, I might be able to do something about it, but that just makes me more sad. hmmm.. "

That sorta shit just annoys me.
>>
>>612270670
While GitS did let me down slightly (blame the hype, not the show), Perfect Blue was all I wanted it to be and then some more.
OP, watch Perfect Blue, you'll love it.
>>
Penguindrum.
>>
>>612270890
Ughhhh that sucks. The English dub of that is so shit. The show itself is good enough to make up for it though.
>>
>>612271130
>Blame the hype, not the show.
That's probably why. I first got GitS and Ninja Scroll on DVD back in '99 or so. Saw them well before the shows were available. Back in the good ole 56k days.

Also, OP, if you want something highly entertaining that has far more depth than it ever had any right to attempt, Highschool of the Dead. I wish I was joking, but there is good character development and motivation beyond "eek, zombies."
>>
monster and blue submarine no. 6 are pretty good.

no.6's soundtrack is also fucking great
>>
>>612265781
>>612270181

Oh, I got another one that's a lot like lain! Witch Hunter Robin. Dark atmosphere, good music, you have to dig if you want more character depth, and it is there, but the ending leaves you just going, "well that was abrupt."
>>
File: end-of-evangelion.jpg (31 KB, 856x482) Image search: [Google]
end-of-evangelion.jpg
31 KB, 856x482
One of my favorites is NGE, haters gonna hate though.

It's pretty fucked up, although it receives mixed reviews but i find it has some really good philosophical ideals in it.

I watched the whole series and was left mind blown at the end.
>>
File: IMG_0015.png (231 KB, 642x335) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0015.png
231 KB, 642x335
Fate/Zero
>>
>>612273429
I'm an intstructor/therapist at a middle school and work with people on the ASD spectrum and with emotional/behavioral disorders. I hate the program I'm in right now, not because of the work, but because of the bs lack of support the higher-ups give us. Anything we do, we're in the wrong. They live in fear and its fucking retarded. My contract is up in 6 weeks though so here's what I did. I've started challenging my student, who's prone to violent emotional outbursts but considers himself the most mature person on campus, to watch cartoons and discuss them with me. Started off with things like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, etc. He gets that there are darker themes and we debate them together. It's fun and he likes to learn, but frankly, he can't deal with the idea of anyone ever being hurt, betrayed, or any creature dying. A week ago, I challenged him to watch NGE. I gave him links online to stream the series subbed. At the rate he watches stuff, he should finish the week my contract is up, there for he won't be my problem anymore and my supervisor has to take over his case again.

She'll have to take his case over right after the series ends and around the time he's watching End of Evangelion.

I am brewing such a shit storm and walking out of it.
>>
File: 1393647353735.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2400) Image search: [Google]
1393647353735.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2400
>>612270181

>watch Ouron High Host Club, and watch it knowing that it's a prequel to NGE.

A prequel to NGE? The two couldn't possible be more detached from each other. Fucking Anno would be disgusted with this comparison.

Apart from this you do have good taste if you like Parika, Paranoia Agent and FLCL though.
>>
>>612267489
All of my this
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.