[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>used to have icq aol yim msnm open all the time >stopped
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
>used to have icq aol yim msnm open all the time
>stopped using them "temporarily" for years to focus on my work with a plan to return to them later if needed
>finally decide to return to having my messengers open because i think they may be needed now
>everything has become absolutely disgusting unusable shit in my absence
>icq is owned by russian shit.
>aol aim forces you to give money for a cell phone to make a new account now.
>yim forces you to give money for a cell phone to make a new account now.
>msnm forces you to give money for a cell phone to make a new account now and they shutdown msnim i.m. in favor of "skype" shit.

That leaves nothing remaining. I have to find a new instant messenger. However, I refuse to use "skype" shit instant messenger even if it doesn't require an e-mail and I haven't bothered to check. The people I see who use it become the worst subhuman nasty fucks I have met in my entire life. Sure the internet can be nasty. But apparently cancer has even uglier nastier people than scenes involving snorting pills. When cancer shits up it paints a very shitty picture that you know is shit. They sleezily psychologically compelled some crappy behaviour patterns. Which is why I haven't touched 1 of those types of things in years. Also, jewgle is shit. But I may use "jewgle talk" instant messenger for another purpose. So can't use it for those purposes and as an instant messenger at the same time. There was also yahoo japan instant messenger or yjim which was alright despite being meant for japan but it's dead because it got shutdown.

So, in addition to the above messengers there are reasons I can't even use some alternatives.

>skype is shit
>google talk is run by the jews
>yahoo japan is dead
>>
Some other possible options I've seen. Based on the options pidgin gives.

>bonjour is apple shit
>failbook is shit
>gadu-gadu is polish shit
>icq is russian shit
>groupwise is a "business" suite
>irc is irc
>mxit is south african shit
>myspaceim is shit
>silc is a protocol
>simple is a protocol
>sametime is "business" shit
>xmpp is a protocol

I don't really want IRC because I don't like any of the networks and it's not an actual messenger I can recommend or tell people to get on really. I do like IRC but it's like recommending mail to replace your phone or something. They're 2 different things. Failbook of course I don't want to do. MySpaceIM less so but still don't want to do that. Bonjour is apple shit so I don't want that.

Some more additional ones.

>jabber isn't a messenger but a service and doesn't even work anyway
>paltalk is adware to the point of being annoying, doesn't have an obvious ad zapper like msn, so i can't recommend it. and no mac or gnu-linux support! can you fucking believe it?
>tox is impressive but it seems kind of too tinfoil hat for me and i kind of wanted more of a regular messenger that's been around longer
>tencent qq is chinese shit
>colloquy is mac shit
>nimbuzz "device" shit
>kik is "device" shit

How the hell did you people manage to kill every single instant messenger?

I'm stunned.

"SIMPLE" protocol and "SILC" protocol don't even have a "comparison of x clients" page. Which leaves "jabber" or "XMPP". Or some other unknown messenger that hasn't been seen.

There's a "comparison of xmpp clients" page with only 7 clients listed. So I'm assuming these are at least somewhat established and decent. Tho, like everything, I wish they had more to offer and were more popular.
>>
>chatsecure is for "device" shit. i guess the security is they won't interact with anyone with a brain
>coccinella is a longass word that's hard to spell with no instant messenger abbreviation. cool drawing feature tho
>conversations is for "device" shit only and i don't know why this shit is listed there but not others
>gajim seems pretty nice and simple but it's not for mac and as much as i dislike mac i feel really bad leaving them out. so if it was for mac too it would probably be perfect
>jeti is java shit from 2005 that hasn't been updated since 2007
>jitsi is java shit and their page is fucking cancer
>mcabber has bsd, gnu+linux, and mac os x support. it does not have windows support. i'm amazed.
>psi-im messenger is a bit long-winded to say and combines protocols and is for "power users"
>tkabber's weird russian shit

So in conclusion absolutely everything's shit.

I think, thinking about everything, and the extremely limited options, it's a toss-up between psi-im and gaijim. psi-im has a shitty name and gajim doesn't support mac easily. Which is retarded since mac users are generally stupid so making something easy that does everything automatically instead of giving them tl;dr command lines to get an "app" makes sense. but whatever. Anyway, I'm not really too happy with the end result or the conclusion of this. XMPP seems a little freetard and I just kind of wanted like a regular messenger. The big 3 triumvirate of AIM YIM MSNM are all unusable now. But they were all acceptable before. ICQ being at least barely somewhat relatively usable is still a shit. So. Yeah.

So ultimately what I think I'm going to do is use jabber xmpp psi-im as my primary instant messenger indefinitely.
>>
However, tho when I say everything's shit I sometimes get "what's the alternative?". So that's kind of what this is here now. To find the alternative. To answer that question. But, if they're going to be a shit and refuse to download something because they don't want to download more messengers then I'll have to reluctantly use some alternate backups. Even tho that doesn't make sense since this is just 1 messenger that uses the same jabber xmpp protocol so when you download 1 messenger then you basically downloaded like 10000 messengers in 1 since there's probably like 10000 progs or "apps" or clients available for it that can all talk to eachother cross-platform. It's kind of like a new e-mail and irc in a way. But without the e-mail and irc. Anyway. Jabber XMPP is actually pretty exciting in that sense. The main problem with IRC is that there's so many networks that are all shit without any clear one to use and nothing concise. Jabber XMPP is basically everything freaking network is working together as 1 huge network that's all on the same shit. Which is awesome. I don't know. I'm not an expert. But it seems that way. It also doesn't have a list of channels so you have to find them manually. Which is actually kind of pretty alright actually. XMPP would be way too awesome with that to the point where it wouldn't give anything else on the internet a chance. Especially IRC. It'd basically be a huge IRC network at that point. And I don't want that to happen. Because I don't want IRC to die. Because I love IRC. It's just the mods and OP's are huge faggots.
>>
Anyway, I think the main problem with jabber xmpp is that aside from being freetard shit it's basically from developers or intelligent people and most people are retards and apparently more people are becoming retards. So there needs to be some kind of thing that's extremely popular or at least relatively popular thing that needs to emerge from it. That's not failbook instant messenger or jewgle talk instant messenger. 'Cause it's like if you recommend it to someone who isn't tech-savy you'll be like "you have to register for the jabber xmpp protocol and download a jabber xmpp protocol client" instead of just saing "get this". So if jabber xmpp had some kind of obvious buttons on the 1st page that lead to 1 thing to register to and 1 prog to get then a lot more people would use it. Hell the buttons could basically be a random choice so everything gets a fair shot. In case they don't want to have to decide. I don't know. What amazes me about skype shit is that they did absolutely nothing new besides offering the same same shit but made it like they were offering a lot. When they were offering nothing. Like they were offering something that was new and a amazing. When they were offering something that was old and stupid. Like basically "send instant messages to people for free!". They're not making a profound statement! They're just saying what happens when you use instant messengers! Just like every other instant messenger! Put they put it in large font letters and put stock footage of smiling camwhores and it's successful apparently. All because of marketing. All because of stupid people. All because of shills. Good goy.
>>
Still, gajim doesn't have support for mac os x and psi-im has support for windows, mac os x, gnu+linux, and even haiku and shit. But it does not support "device" shit. So of course the 1st thing I say this is "Good". But I can not deny "device" shit has a presence. Even if it's shit. Even if it's cancer. So, I would have to address what to recommend to ones on "device" shit. "Fuck off.". That would be good. But, other than that, I guess I'd reluctantly recommend registering for xmpp here https://www.lightwitch.org/xmpp/register , and then downloading trillian for your "device" shit, and then entering your xmpp adress in trillian to use it. I chose lgihtwitch.org because I couldn't find any decent web sign-up pages for retards. So that'll have to do. And if they're intelligent enough to do that and use and enter the information in trillion then I suppose it's not relatively as bad. So my ultimate recommendation would be use psi-im and use a real computer. If you use "device" shit kill yourself. Or register for xmpp at lightwitch.org/xmpp/register and use trillian. Then kill yourself.

If I'm forced to use alternatives to jabber xmpp psi-im then ICQ will be my 1st alternate backup. Followed by YIM since I made quite a few names on there anyway before they forced you to give money for a cell phone to make new names. Followed by AIM which has the same cancer. Even tho I have only 1 known name that works for that. So it'd be extremely awkward to have different groups of people all forced under 1 name instead of separating them into different names. Without any option to get another name. How horrifying. Anyway, after that would be MSNM but it is literally dead and shutdown so not possible. I have decided to not use skype shit because it is absolute fucking cancer and I don't think I could live with myself using it. So in that sense my policy is anything but skype shit. If that is not possible then I am not talking to them. And that's that. Never again. Not even once.
>>
I would like to find another somewhat decent alternative instant messenger besides psi-im. But, realistically, after looking this extensively, that's probably not possible. Maybe I'll hear of something new virally marketed that isn't "device" shit and can be downloaded on windows, macintosh os x, and maybe even gnu+linux. I don't know. Again it's difficult because I always planned on using these messengers again for everything. Now I've learned I can't use them ever again ever. You know it hurts. But that is the reality of the situation. I can hope that they make things not-shit. But that seems as likely and may be linked with people becoming relatively less stupid. Which is self-evident and becoming more evident and undeniably obvious every day. So I can hope that things will get better. But realistically things are getting worse. I guess I just have to face facts. The era of AIM YIM MSNM is gone. And it's never coming back.

I'm very disappointed with how small and cancerous the internet is and has become. You'd think you could find anything you wanted on the internet. But no. Everything's shit.

tl;dr going to use the "jabber xmpp protocol" based "psi-im" instnat messenger as my main instant messenger followed by icq as 2nd choice, yim and 3rd choice, aol as 4th choice.

tl;dr tl;dr going to use psi-im

tl;dr tl;dr tl;dr everything is shit and everyone is fucking retarded.
>>
>>611569680
You ain't using IRC, you ain't livin.
>>
I don't see what you have against Skype, it is the best by leaps and bounds and is the reason all the others are dead.
>>
>>611569680
I just use skype.
>>
>>611570041
>You ain't using IRC, you ain't livin.

I am using IRC, I am livin.

>>611569741
>I don't really want IRC because I don't like any of the networks and it's not an actual messenger I can recommend or tell people to get on really. I do like IRC but it's like recommending mail to replace your phone or something. They're 2 different things.

l2read.
>>
>>611569680
nigger are you autistic or what?
>>
>>611570100
>I just use skype.

Good goy.
>>
>>611570100
>I just use skype.

Get out shill.
>>
>>611569680
Seriously. This shit is inexcusable.

We had better messaging & VOIP services in the 1990s, and we didn't have shit in the 1990s. Fucking collusion between software companies and cell providers is all I can imagine. Cell providers don't want the competition, & Steve fucking Jerbs & an entire industry of fucking followers decided the future should be we pay $200 a month for the rest of our lives for a fucking phone bill and just take whatever NSA-bugged shit they all give us.

This shit is not progress.
>>
>>611570041
Literally the only reason IRC is better than anything else is that there is a tech bar of entry.

Iuse FB chat with OTR with mye techy friends
>>
OP, do the kids on your lawn bother you, too? Are you both autistic and old?
>>
>>611570100
go back to skype faggot.

Cancer.
>>
>>611570179
>nigger are you autistic or what?

nigger are you dyslexic or what?
>>
>>611570454
>Seriously. This shit is inexcusable.
>
>We had better messaging & VOIP services in the 1990s, and we didn't have shit in the 1990s. Fucking collusion between software companies and cell providers is all I can imagine. Cell providers don't want the competition, & Steve fucking Jerbs & an entire industry of fucking followers decided the future should be we pay $200 a month for the rest of our lives for a fucking phone bill and just take whatever NSA-bugged shit they all give us.
>
>This shit is not progress.

Exactly.

>>611569855
>What amazes me about skype shit is that they did absolutely nothing new besides offering the same same shit but made it like they were offering a lot. When they were offering nothing. Like they were offering something that was new and a amazing. When they were offering something that was old and stupid. Like basically "send instant messages to people for free!". They're not making a profound statement! They're just saying what happens when you use instant messengers! Just like every other instant messenger! Put they put it in large font letters and put stock footage of smiling camwhores and it's successful apparently. All because of marketing. All because of stupid people. All because of shills. Good goy.
>>
>>611570625
>Literally the only reason IRC is better than anything else is that there is a tech bar of entry.

So you see the exclusion as a good thing.

I don't mind that but again I'd like something like every instant messenger used to be before it became shit.

>Iuse FB chat with OTR with mye techy friends

Luse? No failbook shit. OTR? mye? I've never heard of those. What are those? What are you talking about? I don't know what the fuck is going on. Please respond.
>>
>>611570625
>Iuse FB

>FB

Good goy.

>chat with OTR with mye techy friends

Good goy.

>FB
>techy

Pick 1.
>>
>>611570847
>OP, do the kids on your lawn bother you, too? Are you both autistic and old?

Anon, do the adults at your school bother you, too? Are you both autistic and a kid?
>>
>>611570847
>OP, do the kids on your lawn bother you, too? Are you both autistic and old?

>defending corporations

>attacking the 1 trying to save you

Good goy.

Fuck this I'm going to become a jew and take all your money.

You will fight amongst yourselves while I retain complete control.

You're all fucking stupid.

Fuck yall.
>>
>>611569680
lol, is this something people actually complain about? I mean, I get the whole "needing a phone number" BS, but how absolutely against skype this person is. Is that really a thing? It's a messaging service, what the fuck do you want? Sounds like hipster fajita wants to slip into an aether of obscurity
>>
>skype
>bad
Why?
>>
>>611571880
I use OTR(of the radar), which is an encryption technique.

Read up on it
>>
>>611572529
>lol, is this something people actually complain about? I mean, I get the whole "needing a phone number" BS, but how absolutely against skype this person is. Is that really a thing? It's a messaging service, what the fuck do you want? Sounds like hipster fajita wants to slip into an aether of obscurity

lol, is this something people actually do? I mean, I get the whole "needing a phone number" BS, but how absolutely for skype this person is. Is that really a thing? It's shit. What the fuck do you want? Sounds like a hipster fajita wants to slip into an aether of obscurity.
>>
wait this thread isn't copypasta?
>>
>>611572739
>>skype
>>bad
>Why?

It's shit.

It's cancer.

That and MSN is preferred.

Unforgivable.

It's like going on gaiaonline and saying it's because they have a good messenger.

It's shit.

>>611569680
>I refuse to use "skype" shit instant messenger even if it doesn't require an e-mail and I haven't bothered to check. The people I see who use it become the worst subhuman nasty fucks I have met in my entire life. Sure the internet can be nasty. But apparently cancer has even uglier nastier people than scenes involving snorting pills. When cancer shits up it paints a very shitty picture that you know is shit. They sleezily psychologically compelled some crappy behaviour patterns. Which is why I haven't touched 1 of those types of things in years.
>>
>>611573001
>I use OTR(of the radar), which is an encryption technique.
>
>Read up on it

tl;dr
>>
>>611573425
>wait this thread isn't copypasta?

wait htis post isn't copypasta?
>>
I still have my aim from 98
you are literally the most autistic person i've seen on this site.
walls and walls of text about a very niche thing.
Just use skype you beta piece of shit.
>>
>>611573425
>wait this thread isn't copypasta?

wait this post isn't copypasta?
>>
>>611572739
NSA thinks your autistic rants are secret code
>>
File: 5YPWbRWSIf.jpg (283 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
5YPWbRWSIf.jpg
283 KB, 800x1200
>>611569680

havent seen so much walls of text since highschool
>>
>>611573578
>I still have my aim from 98
>you are literally the most autistic person i've seen on this site.
>walls and walls of text about a very niche thing.
>Just use skype you beta piece of shit.

I don't use AIM because they demand a phone number.
you are literally the most autistic person i've seen on this site.
spam and spam of text about a very niche thing.
Just use ICQ you beta piece of shit.
>>
>>611573578
>I still have my aim from 98
>you are literally the most autistic person i've seen on this site.
>walls and walls of text about a very niche thing.
>Just use skype you beta piece of shit.

sorry
no beta piece of shit here
must b u ;;))
>>
>itt people saying skype is shit without giving an actual reason
>autism levels at high
>>
>>611573498
This is the jist:
We both have OTR,
so first it encrypt the connection with SSL,
standard encryption, but FB can still read it,
then each of us send eachother a question,
and then it encrypts the encrypted data with the answer.
This way FB can't read our messages.
>>
>>611573896
>>611573843
Well good luck with that.
You know you can always make your own chat program.
>>
wah i have no friends and all my shitty IM
clients dont work so i can't cam with fatties and fags
Wah skype is shit
OP is a fag
>>
>>611573400
not that anon but how old are you if you're actually copying people's posts and using them against them? are you autistic?
>>
These threads are gold. MAYBE once a year one of these OPs crawls out from who the fuck knows where and just goes off about some random shit literally no one gives a fuck about.

I'm skeptical that you actually have anyone to chat with, but maybe try Firefox Hello.
>>
>>611574219
this
>>
What about Telegram or BBM (lol). A lot of the kids today are using Kik.
>>
>>611573453
All these bad things that you said are entirely subjective, and if you're looking for a messenger for contact with people like your friends and family just use either Facebook or whatever app they are using these days for messaging at phones.
>>
>>611574514
I would call, but my neighbor just got a gf and the partyline is ALWAYS fucking taken.
>>
>>611570625
>tech bar of entry
irc is literally the easiest thing ever
there's no actual barrier of entry
people just don't use it because it's 'old'
>>
File: 1423955239924.jpg (26 KB, 492x492) Image search: [Google]
1423955239924.jpg
26 KB, 492x492
just download kik on your phone you exaggerated nigger shit, it's just IM who you gonna message anyway? Your dad? you think if you tell your "friends" to install those IM services they'll do it? Fuck.
>>
>>611574672
Oh believe me, it is,
IRC is like a command line,
if it's not listed through some gay website people can't fucking use it.
>>
Shout up for a second and listen. There is a new app for Firefox that doesnt even require an account.

Have a good day, sir.
>>
>>611570041
/thread
>>
>>611569680

>talking to other people
>not being so important that all of your friends are forced to personally come to your place whenever they want something because you don't even have a cell phone

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Nigga you're doing it wrong.

[spoiler]I always make them wait like 10 minutes before answering the door[/spoiler]
>>
>>611573677
>NSA thinks your autistic rants are secret code

NSA thinks your autistic rants are secret code
>>
>>611573677
>NSA thinks your autistic rants are secret code

>autistic rants

>for making something longer than 140 characters

Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>611573498
It stands for "Off the Radar" you autistic fuck. Keep pretending you're smart
>>
>>611576222

Sir, we have run it through every encryption algorithm under the sun,
and our top linguists and code crackers on it,
we can't make any sense of it.

>This can't be right, this is the legendary hacker 4chan we are talking about,
>why can't we even get the faintest idea about what is going on?

Maybe they are just a bunch of autists that really like transexuals and spiderman

>Not possible soldier, now you monitor that wincest thread and analyze every fucking syllable
>>
>>611577202
Actually stands for "off-the-record", but nice try.
Fucking moron.
>>
Nothing wrong with XMPP + non-verified OTR chats.

Personally I'd recommend these services, I've used all three and like them:
https://see.ph
https://podso.net
https://jabber.org
>>
>>611574890
IRC has been replaced ten times over. TRY to get used to it. Everyone else has.
>>
>sign up for gmail
>asks for my phone number, provide it
>never get any strange calls, texts or anything at all on my phone
>life continues as normal but now i have a reliable email account

wow its fucking nothing
>>
>>611577691
If I need help with programming/linux or need a nice chat with some strangers,
it is straight up the fucking best,

but you wouldn't know being 12
>>
>>611577725
>sign up for gmail
>asks for my phone number, don't provide it
>never get any strange webpages, emails or anything at all on my account asking for my phone number
>life continues as normal and now i have a reliable email account
>>
File: 1429630020590.gif (3 MB, 329x342) Image search: [Google]
1429630020590.gif
3 MB, 329x342
>>611569680
>>
>>611570047
>>611570047
Skype is actually fucking garbage. It's fucking useless.
>>
File: you're a faggot.gif (308 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
you're a faggot.gif
308 KB, 480x270
>>611573726
>havent seen so much walls of text since highschool

havent seen so much fucking retards since highschool
>>
just use telegram

although i think you need a cell phone number

and irc will never die
>>
>>611579569
And you know why?
Because you can put it in fucking anything and everything
>>
>>611579758
that's what she said
>>
Stick to /b/.
I doubt anyone would want to talk to you anyways.
>>
>>611573991
>>itt people saying skype is shit without giving an actual reason
>>autism levels at high

>itt people saying skype isn't shit without giving an actual reason
>autism levels at high
>>
>>611574072
>This is the jist:
>We both have OTR,
>so first it encrypt the connection with SSL,
>standard encryption, but FB can still read it,
>then each of us send eachother a question,
>and then it encrypts the encrypted data with the answer.
>This way FB can't read our messages.

Wow. I see. Thank you for the generous and detailed explanation. I wasn't expecting that at all.

What are you using exactly tho? Links? Download?

If it's not too much trouble. If you don't reply that's fine. Thank you for the explanation anyway.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.