[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I finally watched this movie last night/this morning and was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: B70Lg0JIcAAyrWR.jpg large.jpg (29 KB, 824x550) Image search: [Google]
B70Lg0JIcAAyrWR.jpg large.jpg
29 KB, 824x550
I finally watched this movie last night/this morning and was wondering if there is still some interest in the movie/the story/Chris Kyle and his legend and the stories he's told? If so, replies are welcomed.

As for the movie, what did some of you think of it? Personally, I thought it was really good and it was an emotional watch.

[SPOILER ABOUT THE FILM]

The scene where he is on the roof and he fires a long-distance shot that gives away his and the other soldiers' location was really emotional to me. Because, he obviously wants to get the rival sniper and avenge his friend's death, but the other soldier on the roof with him is explaining to him that backup is still like 20 minutes out, so they can't/shouldn't compromise their presence on the roof. The way the black soldier tells him that his friend would be proud of him, and how the other soldier says, "Legend, you just fucked us," was probably my favorite scene and was very emotional and powerful.

As for Chris Kyle, was he a good guy? Was he a noble person who just wanted to protect others (Americans and local civilians who are being bullied and terrorized) from violent savages? Or was he more so bloodthirsty and arrogant? Personally, I think he was a good person with noble, selfless intentions and that people like him are needed to fight the evil, ultra-violent people who terrorize others.

And, finally, what are some thoughts on the unverifiable stories that Kyle told? Climbing the Superdome in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and shooting 30 or so people who were looting? Or the alleged carjacking attempt in Texas where he claimed to have shot and killed two assailants who were trying to rob him of his truck? And the encounter with Jesse Ventura, where he claims to have knocked him on his ass, after Ventura apparently told him that he/his team deserved to "lose a few guys" in combat?

Thoughts? Opinions?

> Pic related: A billboard for American Sniper in Los Angeles that was vandalized with spray paint.
>>
Did you not read the book? It's a fairly more accurate account told in his words. The man is a killer, but that's the military, especially SOCOM units.
>>
>>608615772
Ya I've read the book and never saw te movie. Personally I think his kind of abandonment of his family to fight a stupid war was kind of fucked up. The whole God>Country>Family/ God>Family>Country disagreement thing his wife and him had. I kind of took her side.

He did come off as a little arrogant in the books and I'm pretty sure some of his worse exploits during the war were left out for obvious reasons.
>>
>>608615422
The movie hit home for me. Aside from being high-speed SF, my dad dealt with a lot of the same mindfuck coming home from the Sandbox as well.
>>
File: American Sniper film billboard.jpg (62 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
American Sniper film billboard.jpg
62 KB, 600x450
>>608615772
No, I did not read the book. Truth be told, I did not know shit about this story until learning of the movie coming out some time last year. I literally do not recall having been aware of Chris Kyle and his story at all, before the movie started to get some attention. However, I am thinking about buying the book for my mom, and to also read it myself.

I'm assuming that you have read the book? If so, is the book good/great/disappointing? And have you also seen the movie? And if so, is the book worth reading after having seen the movie?

Also, what are your thoughts about Chris Kyle? Do you like him? Dislike him? Hate him? Not care about him/his story?

And are you from America? I am; born and raised in Arizona. However, I have not been in the military and don't know shit about war nor politics. So, people's opinions are invited!
>>
>>608616648
OP here. I haven't read the book, but after watching the movie, I have to say that I agree with you about being bothered by him being so loyal to his SEAL brothers (which is admirable) and not caring more about and being more devoted to his family. I think I can understand how the devotion to serving your country with your fellow soldiers can be ingrained in someone, after having it instilled in you for weeks/months and then literally fighting and risking your lives to protect and serve your country with people who become your family and who are risking their lives right alongside you.

However, it was upsetting that he seemed to not be more involved with his wife and young children. So, like I said, I agree with you about that code.

>>608616800
What do you mean, high-speed SF? And have you discussed this issue much/at all with your father? Also, has your dad seen American Sniper? If so, what did he think of it?
>>
File: 846819754.jpg (38 KB, 528x400) Image search: [Google]
846819754.jpg
38 KB, 528x400
>>608615422

All war films are high budget propaganda.

Nothing more or less.
>>
>>608615772
>>608616648
The book can be bought for $6 on eBay. Is it worth the read?

>>608618328
Care to elaborate on this assertion?
>>
>>608618006

I meant that my old man was regular Army, definitely not a SEAL, but he still saw his fair share of fucked up shit. He sat down and talked with me about it once, almost right after he came home from his second tour, I think just to get it out of his system. It's my understanding he and I are the only ones that ever talked about, and he has scarcely mentioned it since. He said he liked the movie, thought Bradley Cooper acted his ass off, and again, that's all he ever said or has said about tit since.
>>
>>608615422
The dude was a narcissist from what I can tell outwardly. Me, me, me is all I hear when he talked. Will never see the movie due to boring savage violence.
>>
>>608615422
>people do things
>no matter what you did or how well you did it, some finnish dude did it better 70 years ago without being an asshat about it
>the end
>>
File: sniper3.jpg (79 KB, 700x452) Image search: [Google]
sniper3.jpg
79 KB, 700x452
>>608618781
Thanks for replying. How old are you and your dad now? And how long ago did he return from combat? Which war was he involved in?

Do you think he is still significantly affected by his experiences over there? Or just mildly these days? Does he seem like the same father you knew? Or is he different?

As for Bradley Cooper in the film, I agree, his performance was great. He's also become one of my favorite actors, and he just seems to have a cool, friendly, endearing look/presence to himself, so it helps me to really enjoy his movies.
>>
>>608619020
What caused you to have this opinion? Did you read the book? Or just see/read about a few interviews?

>>608619174
Thanks for the great contribution to the thread.
>>
>>608615422
Are you gaywads all too busy in the latest trap/sissy/pony thread to be discussing anything else?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.