[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into photography. Where do I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12
File: photo.png (507 KB, 596x898) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
507 KB, 596x898
I want to get into photography. Where do I start?
>>
Buy a camera.
>>
>>590086768
Buy a camera?
>>
>>590087162
this
then start shooting shit and do a blog or something, someone will eventually take notice :D
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 560x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 560x400
>>
>>590086768
What type?

The equipment is less important than the rest of it.

A good starter resource is the books by Scott Kelby. Another guy who makes nice content for beginners is Chase Jarvis (sort of inspirational, versus Kelby is more technical)
>>
File: IMG_2153.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2153.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>590087162
Is this an okay camera to start off with?
>>
>>590086768

By taking this bullshit to the correct board. this is DUBBS BOARD, BITCH! IF YOU AIN'T CCHEEK'D EM, YOU SUCK STUFF!
>>
>>590087428
Yeah. Really anything is fine when you first start, it's not about the arrow it's about the Indian.

As you get better, the equipment will matter more, but your style will dictate the gear. For example, a journalist might like a smaller compact camera, but for a still-life photographer, it might be a medium format camera with constant lighting
>>
File: Camera.jpg (1 MB, 2500x2500) Image search: [Google]
Camera.jpg
1 MB, 2500x2500
>>590087668
Thanks for the advice, man

>>590087427
Also thanks to you man, I'm going to go read those now

Found this on another board a couple months ago, thoughts on it?
>>
>>590088024
I pretty much agree with the camera bodies (I shoot with Canon 5D mk.III's mostly), and with the concept of the lenses - but don't understand why they'd recommend against Canon or Nikon lenses.

I do agree with going for the best lenses. Also can rent good glass if you need something specific.
>>
>>590087428
As a pro photographer I recommend you to read guides and books about exposure and composition before you buy any other equipment. Try out all manual settings and how they affect the photo, take lots of photos with different settings and sometimes only have one setting for the whole day to get used to it. Go trough a day without zooming at all and another day zoomed in to 50mm (equivalent) or so.

If you want to post photos to internet, please don't. If you still want to then do only post 1 or two of the very best photos but no more than that. Get critique, not "great shot" comments.
>>
>>590088765
Agreed.
>>
>>590088563
Are Canon and Nikon the best type of cameras?

Dumb question but what does the glass do?

>>590088765
I'll do so. Thanks. I've got tomorrow all planned out.
I don't particularly care about uploading photos onto the 'net but I want a nice, hobby I don't have to share and photos I can look back on with memorable memories rather than being a camwhore

Another question for you guys: what's the most interesting thing you've taken a photo of?
Also: are phone cameras jokes to you guys?
>>
>>590090177
>what does the glass do?
glass = lens, different focal lengths and apertures to create different kind of photos, large aperture gives you nice blurred background while small apertures give you lots of sharp details through the field and are cheap to manufacture.

>phone cameras
in the end photography is not about equipment but the content of the photo. there are lots of great cameras on phones nowadays and they can be used to take photos of landscapes and events and people (if you are close enough).
>>
>>590090177
Meh, depends what you are doing.

Both Canon and Nikon are very good. For medium format though, you start to get into other brands. Depends what you are doing.

But, yes, I'd say for a lot of applications, Canon and Nikon are best.

Which is better? Depends on the camera and person.
>>
>>590086768

buy a camera and get some chick to take her tits out
>>
>>590091086
that's how you make money with photography kek
>>
>>590090177
id go with nikon personally.

nikon has kept the same type of lenses for virtually their entire existance.

in short this means that nikon lenses are very cheap, plentiful, and available. as opposed to canon, whs lenses are often hard to find and very (im talking $$$$) expensive

both are essentialy similar in terms of quality
>>
>>590087162
/thread
>>
>>590087162
/thread
>>
Hey guys, not OP but where do i start with my first DSLR?

I currently have a nikon FM2, which has been a great analog camera to learn on. Ive been taking photos for around 2 years now. I want to start trying to turn my hobby into profession, and everyone knows you just cant do it anymore with film (too expensive, slow, etc).

what is a good intro camera into DSLRs? Should i get something cheap or dish out $1000+for a mid-professional level one? i know how to take a good photo, so its not like im a beginner photographer or anything

id rather use nikon because all of my gear is nikon already.

thx guys
>>
Ive just bought a canon Sx510 and what not. ive read up on composition and etc. what i really want to do is film skateboarding. any tips?
>>
>>590092979
learn everything you can about cinematography.

there are some great forums.
>>
>>590092818
get a full frame nikon you can afford, that's about it.
>>
>>590090177
Another question for you guys: what's the most interesting thing you've taken a photo of?

- Beautiful and talented young models - especially a certain incredible ballerina -

Also: are phone cameras jokes to you guys?

- Yes, but recently their capabilities for snapshots have gotten pretty good if that is all you want, and easier to lug around -
>>
>>590092979
literally just go out there and do it. find kids who sakte and film them

skating is insanely easy to film, its documentation was pioneered by amateurs, so aesthetically it looks amatuerish and thats totally okay

buy a fish eye lense, shoot from low to the ground, and thats about it
>>
>>590093204
thanks man. what exactly is full frame?

also, do you know if nikon dslrs are good for film at all (like video)? i know alot of filmmakers use dslrs now, but i hear nikon is kinda shit for that

id like whatever i get to have both capabilities
>>
>>590093862
dslr are not good for pure filming, get a video camera for that if you really want that. Panasonic has excellent mirrorless video bodies, the GH-series (GH4 being the newest).

Full frame means the size of the photo sensor, full frame is equivalent to the size of 35 film, 36 mm wide. Crop sensors are smaller and the focal length "looks" longer on them, as they were cropped from the full frame sensor.
>>
>>590093862
35mm sensor

Canon is better for video, but nikon has been trying.. imo, neither are great for someone whos focus is video, get a proper video camera.
>>
>>590094419

i will deff look into those, ty anon

what about things like the mark III though? thats a dslr and i know alot of student films and even several big-screen hollywood films are filmed with those.

what about DSLRs makes them bad for film? And if they are then why are they used so often?
>>
File: DSCF0100.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0100.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
>>590090923 >>590092236 >>590090946
Cool, thanks.

The hardest part about the camera is figuring out the settings like ISO, if I want 4:3 or 16:9, etc
>>
>>590094502

I guess my main focus is photo, but i love film as well. ive been thinking of just shooting my first student film on super 8 or something. id really like something that can do both, but from what ive read there isnt really a perfect mix

isnt there some big feature that canon DSLRs have that Nikons dont in terms of video? like some sort of interface/program or something like that?

i remember reading about it but i cant for the life of me find what exactly is was
>>
>>590094930
They aren't bad for film, but, if you are filming all the time it's easier to use something purpose built for it.

what hollywood films were filmed with it?

They have been used in some shorts and television, but, take a look at the rigs used.
>>
>>590094930
The magic word was, as you said, student budget. Pro cameras don't have things like af-filter on their sensors and lenses are more expensive because their gears are much higher quality and silent.

DSLRs are okay for cheap budget films when one wants to use shallow DOF and make things "pop" so much that the more I see shallow dof films, the more they irritate me. Have you seen a hollywood movie with extra shallow DOF? Nope. It's just an effect to compensate lack of other things like light and post processing.

Also DSLRs need audio recording equipment, separate screen with focus peaking ability and dollys to move camera smoothly, gearings to focus smoothly and all this costs (alot).
>>
>>590095468
iso is light sensitivity. depending on the camera is how high you can go with it still being noise free.

If your iso gets too high for acceptable noise, then lower your shutter speed.

if you go too slow in shutter speed, the photograph will start to blur without the help of support.

generally you can go 1/f (1 over your focal length of the lens) without it being a problem, but that is a weak rule of thumb. But, if shooting 50mm, then most people can handle 1/50 shutter speed... 125mm ... 1/125 shutter speed, etc.

again, weak rule of thumb...
>>
>>590095869
>Have you seen a hollywood movie with extra shallow DOF?
Check out the film "The American" with George Clooney ... so fucking distracting... Director was a photographer and acted as DP.
>>
>>590095468

ISO is super easy, it just refers to how sensitive the film ur using is to light.

iso 200 should only be used on sunny days (lots of light) unless youre using a tripod and shutter switch

ISO 400 film is standard, good for sunny - cloudy days

iso 800 is good for really cloudy days and low-ish light, and some night photography if you know what youre doing

anything over that is used for night photography

keep in mind that the lower the ISO, the crisper your photos will be. higher ISO film will show noticeable grain. this is really only visible over 800 though
>>
>>590096095
I'll check that out, thanks for the tip.
>>
>>590096235
My settings are:
ISO: 400
Size: Large 4:3
Quality: Normal (there is a 'FINE' option)

>>590095905
Thanks for the information, I feel pretty confident with all this now.
>>
>>590086768
buy a camera
>>
As a hopeful beginner photographer/film maker, this thread is super helpful. Added this to the archive, hoping that people keep posting

Any general tips for those wanting to pursue a career in photography/film?

Any general tips for things like composition/technique/learning tools/etc?
>>
>>590096586
can shoot jpegs to start, but, later on might want to shoot in RAW. Allows you to change white balance later, and prevent lossy saves from editing.
>>
>>590096919
tip for composition: rule of thirds and never have a face in the middle of the photo, never.
>>
>>590097424
Also: get closer to your subject. Go on, closer. Closer I said. GET CLOSER!
>>
>>590097530
this. especially with people.

even cut the top of their heads off a tad, you'll notice this is done in a lot of magazine photographs.
>>
>>590086768
>I want to get into photography. Where do I start?

Join a club, or take lesson.

There is COUNTLESS shitty photographer around ( with very expensive camera) , don't be one of them. Learn how things work, and get some people to correct your error.

Go to museum and exposition.
>>
>>590086768
There's two ways of doing it.
you want to take nice photo's for yourself and others? you want to do weddings and other such venues as a bit of side cash?
1. buy a $500 digi camera
2. download GiMP.
3. start snapping and build up a portfolio

You want to be an atiste? and make thousands and millions from "art peices?"
1.buy $5000 digi-film camera
2.buy $3000 worth of accessories (inc old film camera's if you wish)
3. build up a portfolio of just any old shit, even throw in a few photo's that have clearly intentionally been done badly.
4. do anything you physically can to get into exhibitions and gallerys.
5. look for really post modern fashionista pricks with people surrounding them. and just really loud and brashly talk out your arse about what you think the art means.
6. show them your portfolio and make up equally random shit about each piece
7.Rinse & repeat until success.
>>
>>590097729

You shouldnt be getting closer to your objects, you should be shooting them with a telephoto. Gives the best separation from the background and doesnt distort.
>>
>>590092818
if you're coming from film you probably want to go for a full frame so i think the d610 would be a good choice but it is more than $1000
>>
>>590097424
>>590097530

ive got ruler of thirds down, large subject, background patterns, low aperture for blurred backgrounds, side lighting, framing, all the basics

my photos just seem to be missing something alot of the time, not sure what
>>
If you could give photo related advice to yourself who had no previous knowledge on it, what would you tell them?
>>
>>590097915
ty anon, i will look into it.

nomorerack has deals on dslrs for insanely cheap surprisingly often, ill save up and keep my eyes peeled
>>
>>590098005
It sounds like you are missing the most important thing, the content. Your photos can be techically excellent but it means nothing if there's nothing to see in the photo.

Check out flickr - Explore and learn from the interesting photos you can find there.
>>
>>590097859
closer, as in composition.

...depends on the lens.

100mm is often nice.

and yeah can get a shallower DOF easier obviously
>>
>>590095485
really the only reason to choose a canon over a nikon for video is magic lantern which is just a hack of the firmware but ive been shooting video with my d800 for the past few years and have had no problems with it
>>
File: t7289141.jpg (16 KB, 200x245) Image search: [Google]
t7289141.jpg
16 KB, 200x245
>>590086768
You and every other useless 16 year old wondering what they can do with their life and crushing lack of talent/intellect.

>Apply to McDonald's
>>
sort of amateur-ish photographer here

the camera I used to get into photography was a Nikon D3100 DSLR

I was shit for about 1-2 years but after constantly taking pictures and researching new techniques etc, I started to improve and now my pictures look decent

tl;dr don't expect your photos to look good instantly

it will be frustrating at times
>>
>>590098514
We're trying to have a nice thread here
>>
>>590098367
solid advice, thanks m8

interesting situations and experiences make for interesting photos

i guess its time to get out and adventure more
>>
File: long skirts.jpg (81 KB, 469x700) Image search: [Google]
long skirts.jpg
81 KB, 469x700
What advice can you give on taking pictures of women?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>>590098618
>>
>>590098729
read a bunch, practice on a friend if you can...

go on modelmayhem, hire them or do trade for portfolio, practice.

hair and makeup artists matter.
>>
>>590098443

>magic lantern

thats it. reddits video subreddit was hyping that shit up like crazy, making it seem like nikon was completely worthless because it lacked magic lantern

glad someone feels this way, will def look into nikon for vidya now
>>
>>590098729

1. take photos of women
2. have their permission before hand
>>
DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU
>>
>>590099085
nah, nikon shoots video fine.

i will say canon has a nice look to it though, but maybe that's just because of what I'm used to.

careful with internet fags, they're spending more time talking about shooting than actually doing it. both nikon and canon look great.
>>
>>590099406
>constructive thread on /b/
>"lets spam the fuck out of it"
>>
File: 1420085696893.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1276) Image search: [Google]
1420085696893.jpg
148 KB, 1920x1276
>>590099541
>>
>>590099869
kek
>>
File: DSCF0052.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0052.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
>>
>>590099475
yeah, im a nikon guy myself, i was just worried about the whole dual functionality thing

totally right. im guilty of that myself somewhat
>>
File: DSCF0041.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0041.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
>>590100240
>>
>>590100627
before buying, it can be helpful to rent stuff. learn what works better for you, etc.

I live in Miami, and there are a few places where you can get a weekend rental and they don't count sunday, so gives you a free extra day. some rental studios are better than others about this, but, gives you some time to tinker and see what works best for you.
>>
DSLR or Mirrorless?
>>
For me, once I learned how to use a camera, and understood basic compositional rules, I let myself off the book and just did my own thing. About a year ago, everything clicked and my photos almost overnight became drastically better. You just gotta keep practicing until your style suddenly emerges. But there isn't really a way to 'learn' photography, it's just something that innately happens.
>>
>>590086768
Needs more on shutter time, aperture and ISO. Knowing how your camera works is half the battle.
>>
>>590086768
Shoot in manual mode as early on as you can. It will be a bumpy ride in the beginning. But you'll end up a true photograph god. Knowing how to play with apperture and shutterspeed is essential.
>>
-It is also good to find a few photographers that have styles you like. Every time I come across an image I like online I save it. I have stacks of books from photographers I like. Usually a few times a week I will go through things and pick out what made me want to save that image.

-Get some retouching software and learn how to use it. Even if only basic corrections are learned (saturation/exposure/color adjustments) they can really help out a photo and don't take much time.

-Don't get too caught up in gear. It's nice if you can afford it but don't worry too much if you can't. There are plenty of people taking amazing photos with cheap gear and plenty of people taking horrible photos with top of the line gear.

-As more stuff is learned a lot of photographers start to lean more towards one area. When I started shooting models I had to learn artificial lighting, networking and just dealing with models. That is a whole different set of topics to learn :)

-Experiment a lot, try now things even if a bunch of your photos end up being shitty. Art and Fear is a good book for the general art making & learning process:
>>
>>590098248
Looking back on when I was just getting started, some basic tips that I wish I had read:

-Shoot RAW, or RAW+JPG. You might think at first that JPG is good enough, but processing functionality in software is increasing all the time, and most likely you will want to go back to your earlier shots and try to get the most quality out of them. This is something I wish I would have done. Because...

-Photos capture moments in time- this isn't just true for street photography, but for "static" subjects as well. I do a lot of urbex shoots so I can't just go back and re-shoot the buildings I was at when I first got in to the hobby...many of them are now demolished. One I really liked burned down this week. Never assume you'll have another chance to get any shots.

-If you shoot RAW, you can focus on learning about the basic camera settings: aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure compensation. RAW format makes it unnecessary to worry about white balance, contrast, sharpness, saturation, noise reduction, art filters/film emulation, etc. when you're shooting, as you can change those after the fact with no loss in image quality.

-Get a cloud backup service for your pictures. I use CrashPlan- $50/year for unlimited storage. Given how much photography equipment costs this is dirt cheap, and so worth it for the piece of mind.

-Don't believe the hype about how buying prime lenses magically aids composition, or you should buy any lenses just as an upgrade to a kit lens. You can 'zoom with your feet' or see a constant perspective with any kit zoom lens, just set it to a focal length you want to try and go out shooting without touching the zoom ring. Eventually this will help you be able to look at a subject/scene and visualize roughly what focal length you should use to photograph it, and help you decide what additional lenses would be most useful to buy.
>>
One thing I never got about photography is how people pronounced it.
They pronounced it as pho-ta-graphy and others pronounced it as fa-ta-graphy.
>>
Is there any scenario where an older film SLR could be better than a recent DSLR?
>>
>>590086768
Buy a decent camera and choose a topic
>>
-Size does matter: Chances are you want to take pictures of your kids/street photography/vacation photography. A DSLR is a heavy beast. You are not going to want to carry a backpack full of DSLR equipment all day. It is also terrible for street and candid photography because everyone notices a DSLR instantly while you can take pictures with a small mirrorless and nobody cares. Most venues and concerts don't even let people carry in a DSLR with them while you can freely take in a mirrorless.

Full frame does NOT matter: Clueless people will say things like "you need full frame if you want to take pro looking pictures or if you want to shoot in the dark" That is pretty much the equivalent of "you need to buy a new GFX card every month if you want to play a game on PC". Modern Mirrorless cameras all have ISO comparable to full frame nowadays. Fuji cameras can shoot up to ISO 6400 with barely any noise.

AF Speed: Pro DSLR's are faster than mirrorless cameras in this department. Chances are you won't be getting a pro DSLR nor need one unless you make your living shooting sports. Current mirrorless AF speed is fast enough for most anything you will shoot. Do a youtube search for the camera you are interested in and it's AF speed test.

Lenses: Mirrorless have absolutely amazing lens selection and anyone who claims otherwise is an idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about or believes that Leica lenses are the only lenses capable of taking good pictures. When you are buying lenses it goes like this: There are lenses that are slow and crap. Such as your cheap kit lenses like the ones that come with T3i's. Then you have the good value lenses. These are the lenses that are cheaper than the "pro" lenses but give you %90 of the image quality. Maybe they are a little softer in the corners but nobody will give a fuck nor notice when they look at your pictures.
>>
File: mTausBL.jpg (125 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
mTausBL.jpg
125 KB, 500x322
The photographer chooses what to show the viewer, so even before any processing has begun the image has already taken on how the photographer sees the world or how they want to present it.

Look at this image, it was not altered or processed in any way. It was shot on film, developed and sold, nothing more. It is a very powerful image, it won a Pulitzer for the late Kevin Carter and rightly so. What does this image convey to you?

What it looks like to me is that this child is dead or dying. That a vulture will pick his bones dry in the not too distant future. It makes me realise how horrible famine is and how helpless I am to help this child and others like him or her. I can feel fortunate that I am not in this child position, nor am I likely to ever be. I can also feel guilty because what right do I have to have what I do, when children like this one suffer so much and so on.

What it cannot convey is that the juxtaposition of these two creatures was absolutely intentional, that a telephoto lens would have been used, making the vulture seem closer than it really was. It doesn't tell you that vultures being around the area was commonplace because of a food aid station nearby. It doesn't tell you the fate of the child (though Carter received much criticism for not helping). You wouldn't know that Carter chased the bird away after getting a number of shots, that the white thing on the wrist is to signify the child was to receive treatment for malnutrition or that the boy went on to live for another 14 years.

Even in this unaltered image, Kevin Carter chose which part of the world to show you. He and many other photographers are manipulating your emotions, and to some that could be considered 'cheating'.
>>
>>590087428
It depends what you want to do, but for anything close to pro, probably not.
Though the best camera is far from making the best photographer, your camera must allow you to control what you are doing.

This means
- Manual modes (manual/aperture/speed modes), a decent viewfinder or a very good screen, and depending on what you want to take probably large aperture, wide angle, long telezoom, macro, etc.
>>
>>590103055
>-Don't believe the hype about how buying prime lenses magically aids composition, or you should buy any lenses just as an upgrade to a kit lens. You can 'zoom with your feet' or see a constant perspective with any kit zoom lens, just set it to a focal length you want to try and go out shooting without touching the zoom ring.
Agreed. Also a zoom can help you figure out which prime you might like.

A little bit of gaffers tape can keep the focusing ring from moving safely.
>>
>>590088024
This is for movies, not pictures
>>
>>590086768
An application for burger king
>>
When I was doing my Euro travelogue, some people were disappointed upon learning that I touched the photos in post at all, because that meant the photos were "no longer real."

Had a good laugh at that. All eyes, digital or biological, are subjective interpreters of reality. And a camera spitting out a jpg is doing a full set of post work on the spot, it's just automated based on the camera's internal parameters, so you may as well be doing it yourself if you want to be more in control of the end result.

If we accept that photography is art, which should be obvious enough, then the photographer manipulating the result at any point in the process is part of that art.
>>
also you can't type the letters apetu into youtube without finding over 300 videos and tutorials explaining iso/aperture/shutter speed
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.