[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ex WoW System Designer here. Worked on 2.0 to 3.3 AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
You are currently reading a thread in /b/ - Random

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 23
File: 2364671-world-of-warcraft-logo.jpg (476 KB, 2827x1608) Image search: [Google]
2364671-world-of-warcraft-logo.jpg
476 KB, 2827x1608
Ex WoW System Designer here. Worked on 2.0 to 3.3 AMA
>>
File: Warcraft_Orc_by_Jonboy007007.jpg (547 KB, 805x600) Image search: [Google]
Warcraft_Orc_by_Jonboy007007.jpg
547 KB, 805x600
>>554408559
i'll just get right to it, when you cast a spell with travel time, and run behind an object, it passes through the object, but you can't just start casting from behind the object (line of sight).was this intentional?
>>
Kharazan catacombs
Go
>>
>>554408559
why does wow suck now it used to be so good
>>
>>554408559
Why does metzen insist on forcing his shit.
I mean nobody likes thrall everything happening is his fault but nobody questions him.
>>
>>554409513
Because you grew up.
I mean think about it man. The games 10 years old. If you played it when it started you know how to do it, you know how to do it. YOU lost the adventure. People grew up. Not everyone who played will stay forever, there is a high turnover. Normal fags have kids, and jobs.
>>
>>554409153

It is intentional. Something like this is more a problem that technical will deal with, since the reason it is that way is technical in nature.

Originally, it was like this because being able to 'dodge' projectiles with LoS results both in design problems (projectile speed will matter. How available LoS will matter), but more importantly, it messes with the technical design.

It's not possible to introduce a mechanic like that without having the client disagree with what's happening on screen at least some of the time, and while you can already kind of see this with 'casting around corners', it's pretty well controlled and perhaps more importantly, it's consistent. Players can tolerate oddities like that if they are repeatable and consistent, which is something that the net and tech teams have done amazing work in making possible.

So in short, yes it's intentional. It's intentional because the alternative presents significantly larger problems to solve and we probably couldn't solve them in a consistent manner
>>
>>554409358

Not my decision.

>>554409814

He's been with the company forever and does a great job of selling his ideas and really, his execution isn't bad. His seniority is meaningful there.
>>
Favorite WoW amour set for warrior
>>
>>554410696

T3
>>
The game is a cluster fuck of self healing and crowd control currently. PvP is beyond frustrating.

What do you think of this?
>>
File: 1370984116020.jpg (211 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1370984116020.jpg
211 KB, 1280x1024
>>554410213
thanks, i've been wondering about that for a while.
do you have a favorite place ingame? mine's a ridge in feralas, where the view blows me away every time.
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 125x92) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 125x92
>>
Do you play Wildstar?
>>
>>554408559
Why ex?
>>
>>554411686
>>
>>554408559
Have you tried FFXIV: ARR? If so, what do you think of it?
>>
>>554408559
OP pls tell us what project Titan will be. That shit has been on and off for years
>>
Why has pvp gone to Shit?
>>
>>554410989

For what it's worth, I don't really like the current philosophy (or what I interpret as the current philosophy) of the systems team. I honestly was most happy with the core mechanics of the game around 2.4. I felt like that the CC that was present was meaningful, but not throw away and the options to avoid that CC represented significant choices.

Sure, the execution on individual things was pretty questionable in some areas. Lifebloom, Fear, The Entire Warrior Class, Chain Heal. These guys were problematic for there own special little reasons, but it's not that they weren't fixable, it's just that fixing them required some unpleasantness and work on 3.0 was already underway, so the prevailing attitude of, 'fix it in 3.0' was commonplace.

Truth be told, systematically, I don't think the game got better in 2.4. 2.4 had such solid design and just the shear amount of thought put into something like Frost Mages was unreal, and I felt like that was reflected in play. Affliction was close too, but was arguably too strong for how 'available' it's damage and CC was.

That principle of design went out the door, for better or worse. Using Mages as an example, things like Mirror Image and Frostfire bolt were added with no real plan other than, 'players will pave a way for them', and it felt sloppy both in design and in play. That attitude seems to have prevailed for better or worse and has spawned all sorts of stuff I'd call 'out of place', like the rogue recuperate or the entire Death Knight class...

I preferred the very deliberate, very planned version of WoW.
>>
Bamp
>>
>>554411487

No. I'm considering picking it up. I think it has neat endgame design and would love to check it out.

>>554411686

Blizzard is a very cool company to work for, but it's high pressure and burnout rate is non-trivial. I burned out.
>>
Sadly.... This Crap had more people playing it than Dark Age of Camelot...seriously have no clue why anyone funded this.
>>
what did you spend the most time working on? BC nostalgiafag here
>>
>>554412095

I play it a lot actually! I think it's got some really neat ideas that are really well executed. I'm so envious of the aetherflow mechanic of the SCH class and wish I could lay claim to that idea.

The lack of add-ons is killing me though, and I feel like the UX people haven't played an MMO. Monsters not displaying HP percentage is...what the hell?
>>
man, I wasted so much of my life in BC in WOTLK. I ended up being a gladiator and selling my account when it was had the rank 2 3v3 team in my BG. I too think that WoW was pretty balanced during BC but then again all the random mace stuns and rng and pve gear was a major problem so I personally think (probably biased here) it was during 3.3 where almost ever spec was viable the game was great.

now the game seems like utter shit. what do you think about all the classed being homogenized and gaining the same abilities as eachother? i think that's what ruined it. also any opinions on the amount of catering to casuals?

oh i also always wondered.... how many people working on wow are actually good at it? do you guys ever raid endgame content or have high arena rankings? because it seems like you guys mostly just take pvp suggestions from the forums
>>
what do you think of holinka
>>
>>554413418

BC and WtoLK.
>>
why is wildstar 11/10 and every other game 2/10000
??

>wildstar = best
>everything = shit
>>
>>554413854
I mean more specifically, what EXACTLY did you design in terms of content for those expacs
>>
>>554413772

Our tenure at Blizzard didn't overlap. At the time, Tom was kind of the 'everything' guy, Greg was Systems Lead and Jeff was doing Jeff things.
>>
Why are pandaren so god damn adorable?
>>
>>554408559
Do you have any idea about future races?
And can you tell us any secret stuff, maybe about the new wod.
Is there a chance they will ever add ogres?
>>
>>554414285
You don't have to work with someone to have an opinion on them.
>>
>>554414273

I was on the team that was responsible for the Systems that governed the mechanics of the game. Things like Class balance, mechanic design, and core class design. We worked closely with the semi-official PvP group and content designers to make class changes and create content. We consulted with anyone that had a reason to interact with the mechanics of the game, which was pretty much every team at least occasionally.
>>
Ignoring all the other retarded flaws in the game engine, your line of sight handling was and still is beyond fucking incompetent.

Warsong Gulch LOS handling is still a fucking embarrassment and the intial implementation of the Ogrimmar arena felt like it had been done by interns.

Can't even complain about it for calling your devs out on this bullshit for years then being perma banned from support forums. Calling devs incompetent = harrassment in rpg land.

Fucking shame.
>>
>>554408559
Where do you work now?
>>
>>554414770
Do you guys know how bullshit the 40 man battlegrounds are?
Its stupidly unbalanced.
Alliance has a massive choke point on the bridge, and our towers are BS to capture.
>>
How much effort is/was put into intentionally making objectives time sinks? (it takes X amount of weeks to complete Y, etc.)

I ask because I quit due to the "carrot-on-a-stick" seeming to take precedence over quality of content.
>>
>>554414770
were you responsible for resilience?
>>
>>554414674

6.0 will be his first shot and 'resetting' the current PvP paradigms. We'll see how he approaches that. I'm cautiously optimistic about him though for now.
>>
>>554414770
what was your guys ideas on specs like ele, feral, or balance? was it just like "yeah nobody picks these specs so who cares lol" or what
>>
>>554408559
Like another player here I' an avid fan of 3.3 and in general I think s8 was probably the most fun I'd ever had in WoW. What are your opinions on high end s8 PvP vs. s4? Personally I think every class had -just enough- abilities to survive in a changing environment without relying on RNG to throw a team's strategy out of whack (r.e., more moves like SP disarm, deep freeze, etc. gave players more of a chance to react to burst windows gone wrong, etc.). What do you think, was it poor itemization or poor talent implementation (admittantly assassination rogues would've been a sign of both.... envenom in PvP...)? Do you think WoD will offer the depth of gameplay WotLK and TBC had? Or is it too late?
>>
>>554415403
I like resilience.
It makes pvp more interesting. It's better than getting one shotted by Epic raid level gear.
>>
>>554415403
without resilence every single pve nerd would have a unfair advantage
>>
>>554414820

WSG is ancient and probably was handled by Interns, so for whatever that is worth...

The reason why you can't yell at Devs on the forums is because it generates a lot of whitenoise and it's not useful. Perhaps more importantly, the unbelievable majority of players have no idea what they are doing and explaining to the world for the 500th time that there brilliant idea wouldn't work at all is not worth the time or effort. Disagreeing with Devs is fine, and we consult with players about changes and they do come back and sometimes tell us we are idiots at which point, we at least talk about it again. Most players are not capable of providing useful feedback though

>>554414960

That is going to have to remain a secret. I'm not in the game industry though, for whatever that's worth.

>>554415242

Yes, and the time and effort it takes to rebuild AV into something else is simply not worth it.

>>554415403

I was on the team that was, yes.
>>
>>554415948
This.
Even if you spend weeks getting a full conquest rating set. You would still get killed with a single hit because of the raid set bonus.
>>
>>554416258
Did you guys ever consider, just swapping starting points around every other match?
It would be easy to do, just swap the mobs around and change the flags.

It would make sense to since it's a constant fight over it.
>>
well looks like op is just skipping all the good questions. good night all
>>
>>554415437

I feel really, really bad about Elemental Shaman in 2.0 - 2.4. Balance was actually kind interesting at the time and feral was just...hard, but rewarding and useful. At the time, lightning overload was so problematic and adding more toys or giving them other options, short of whole new spells or mechanics was just not going to fix it, so they got slated for a re-imagining in 3.0 (which they did get!).

Even something like that though, we talk about all the time. No one was happy with elemental in BC for whatever that's worth. I feel that was obvious when 3.0 came out
>>
File: Bill Burr.jpg (32 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bill Burr.jpg
32 KB, 1280x720
>>554408559
What's it like working at Starbucks? Was the transition from elite coder to pathetic hipster barista a difficult one?
>>
The feral shift change near the end of cataclysm was hilarious as it either pointed to developer bias issues or some severe design incompetence. The consistent excuse before this was that 'we don't balance over 1v1 situations'...in this case they did, in a spec v spec situation no less. It meant that any complaint over a 1v1 situation was now valid.

Then it was reverted come pandaria so in fact, nothing was wrong.

Probably wishful thinking that they'd figure out how to optmise thier engine when this shit was going on.
>>
>>554415242
horde have a massive choke point going into their town, and you have to agro every fucking npc on your way to the flag too. you can get to the alliance flag without touching a single mob other than the 4 npc flag guardians, and they die in 2 hits anyway.

if horde ever actually tried defending, they could do it just as easy as alliance does
>>
File: 148111.jpg (913 KB, 905x1300) Image search: [Google]
148111.jpg
913 KB, 905x1300
do you still play the game ? if so what do you play pve pvp and what class
>>
>>554408559
>did you have an account with full GM capabilities
>do people ever find a way to make their normal account have GM capabilities
>how did the devs come up with prices on vendors (i.e. jug of burbon costs x.x.x)
>i get it people want more but IMO the time you worked was perfect why fix what aint broke
>do you still if ever play WoW
>do you guys actually listen to the players who know what they are talking about
>is bitching on the forums worth the time
>why did devs get rid of hunter melee weapons
>what is the chance that we will get to see a Northrend revamp with the new "lich king"
>why not have nostalgia servers?
Sorry for all the questions ive been playing since 1.2
>>
>>554415350

Those decisions are far removed from me. My job was, 'make the mechanics work'.

>>554415490

S8 was the only time I got Gladiator, so it's obviously my favorite!

Actually, S8 was a good season. The beginning of WotLK was a total cluster fuck and that was a secret to no one. I spoke about it earlier, but 3.0 was not nearly as deliberate as most of the 2.X patches, but it became more and more deliberate as the seasons went on. S8, being at the end of the the 3.X cycle was probably the most well planned and well thought out season of WotLK.

S8 vs S4.... S8 2s was actually playable I guess. S4 was a mess and a somewhat unfixable one at the time as well. I'd argue S4's 3's bracket was more diverse and people were trying more things. We can go back and forth on what RMP meant for the game at the time, but almost zero metrics indicated it was actually a problem. Some of the melee cleave teams in S8's 3s brackets were pretty borderline, but it was a good season. 5s in all of BC never really 'worked'.

The jury on WoD is still out. I think it has a very real chance of making changes for the better, but we shall see.
>>
>>554417594
Also
>do GM's actually pop into instances to watch players run
>Do GM's have to get permission to troll a city (i.e. spawning raid bosses in the throne rooms)
>>
>>554417751
how come you guys never fixed beastcleave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q5pb-fEQhs&feature=kp
>>
>>554417338
You never addressed the towers.
>>
>>554416258

Devs would rarely interact with anyone who knew what they were talking about, leaving it to the said 'whitenoise' to answer instead. Starts to piss you off after a while.
>>
What do you think about Blizzard never balancing the low level pvp? It is stupid how fast everyone does and it kills the fun of twinking, which used to be a HUGE part of the game
>>
>>554418020
all you need to do to cap an alliance tower is stand on the outside edge and click the flag while you're out of line of sight from the guards. it's not hard.
>>
>>554416895

We get free coffee. Best job.

>>554416947

I didn't work on anything 4.X. For what it's worth, It'd be inclined to agree.

>>554417357

I do! I PvP as a Lock and Shaman. I PvE as a Mage for the most part.

>>554417594

1. No, and never did on the live servers
2. Not to my knowledge
3. If it was something that mattered, it'd be a function of rarity and availability. If it was something that was 'RP' in nature , it was arbitrary.
4. It had problems. I already mentioned Elemental Shaman in 2.X, but that's just the beginning of stuff I'd love to go back and address.
5. I do!
6. We actually consult with players a fair bit.
7. No, but constructive feedback is.
8. Oh boy, hunter melee weapons. These have been on the chopping block in some form or another since early 2.0. The short answer: They weren't fun, they didn't do anything fun and existed only as a stat stick. The more 'complete' answer is a lot more complicated.
9. Your guess is as good as mine.
10. Servers are expensive to host and maintain, and we aren't issuing patches for any more than 1 game if we can help it.
>>
>>554415752
>>554415948
i thought resilience was a good idea, idk why you guys immediately thought i was condemning it. i was just asking because it came out in 2.0
>>
>>554408559
This is probably fake but... Thanks for some of the most enjoyable gaming of my life. Destroyed my highschool experience but gave it back in a much different way. Would give up everything I've achieved for those days again.
>>
One thing I seem to notice is whenever they have a convention with developers on stage it seems to be content or mechanics (event handling) only. Never seen any of the network or engine devs appearing in any video.

Makes you wonder if they outsource that shit.
>>
>>554417936

I know the folks interested in Encounter design do watch, but I have no idea how they do it. We worked with them, but they weren't part of our team. No idea what the rules are on that for you second question.

>>554418014

1 week after that happened, Beastcleave got nerfed.

>>554418020

AV is an old, old map. Changes on that map are hard. A lot of people would love to completely redesign it, but it's not popular with the folks that are concerned with ROI

>>554418241

This is a hard problem to solve. Balancing the game such that every class is on equal footing at every level is borderline impossible, even with unlimited resources.
>>
>>554418621
>>554419093
wow thank you so much those are all questions i have wanted answered since i can remember. have a great night
>>
>>554418621
>We get free coffee. Best job.
op confirmed for bro tier
thx for your thread
i'm not a WoW player but you succeeded in making it interesting to me anyway
>>
>>554419093

I simply just don't understand why Blizz fucked AV over so bad...

People want it gone from the BG queue, and others want it back to the "Old AV" in Vanilla.

What exactly is the reason Blizz can't revamp AV and potentially bring back hundreds of thousands of gamers for it?

I mean, wouldn't removing AV from the queue and making it a separate queue like Tol Barad a better thing?
>>
>>554419017

oh nononono. I wish I could express to you how brilliant the Engine is and the amount of work that still goes into that. Not my team, but I know that there was sacrifices and black magic at work to do things like make resources update 10+ times a second. I know that a tremendous effort was made to make the casting in the game really crisp and consistent. All that is inhouse, and those people get paid nicely.
>>
>>554419471
>What exactly is the reason Blizz can't revamp AV and potentially bring back hundreds of thousands of gamers for it?
he just answered:
> it's not popular with the folks that are concerned with ROI
money issues, suits ruining game dev as usual
>>
>>554419471

Because revamping AV will not bring back 6 figures of players. It might bring back hundreds.

The scope of a project like AV is just so huge. Changes are complicated and the map is old and already unbelievably complicated. Evidence of this exists still today; You can still summon Ivus if you wanted to.

The bottom line is that resources are finite and AV is slated for serious work, but it gets back-burned a lot because we don't have 500 people to work on whatever we want, whenever we want
>>
>>554420062

That makes 100% sense, I didn't really understand your post earlier but yeah I see where you're coming from now.

As far as this new upcoming WoW is going, do you think it's worth trying out for someone like me who grew up with Vanilla and most of BC?
I skipped all of Wrath, played half of Cata nd half of MoP.

WoW has just never been the same for me.
>>
>>554420479
From someone who got furious gladiator in wrath, no it isn't worth it anymore. It's not the same game. It's been destroyed via content.
>>
about 3.0...

did anybody get fired for that? i mean it was out of fucking control. ret paladins being able to do 30% damage while bubbled, death knights unstoppable, coming back to life for 45 seconds as ghouls. bm hunters. lighting generators. clickers getting gladiator just because they rolled deathknight on the first day of the xpac.

the shitty thing was none of this was even fixed until the next season. whats with the devs on that? they always let some classes be overpowered for a season then the next season the flipflop it and the classes that sucked are now overpowered themselves. such is the cycle when you play wow.
>>
>>554418224

Understand it's not because we didn't want to. Part of it is that the audiance of WoW is measured in the millions and we are constantly on a time table. Greg tried and did as good of a job as anyone could expect, but even that was not a super success. Keep in mind that this was a donation that Greg made to the community. From my understanding, he was doing this between meetings, during lunches, etc. etc. Instead of taking the time to relax and reset is brain, he made an attempt to interact with an MMO community. What we learned is that it doesn't really work, and it definitely can't work if we are taking time away from our duties to do it.
>>
>>554419507
Oh the resource managment and network code is to be applauded, considering what they were intialling using. The 3D handling though is, after 9 years, woeful.

You'd assume they'd bring in some dedicated people for that eventually, especially if they wanted to make more of the PVP system which initially was just a small extra. The ogrimmar arena really failed that test miserably.
>>
File: 0gPfp4i.gif (671 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
0gPfp4i.gif
671 KB, 480x270
>>554408559

>worked for Blizz

what are you gay?
>>
>>554420062
I haven't kept track, but has WoW lost a lot of players? I stopped shortly after WotLK.

Also what, in your opinion, is the reason Alliance sucks so much in bg's? I assume it's because little kids roll Ally just to be "the good guys"

also for people bitching about AV, I was Alliance, we needed a bg we could win to keep our egos from completely crashing.
>>
File: 1362182659547.jpg (8 KB, 251x221) Image search: [Google]
1362182659547.jpg
8 KB, 251x221
How do you feel about Cata/MOP?

Do you think Warlords of Draenor is going to be vanilla-like as they say?
>>
>>554408559

I read most of the comments, and scanned through the rest. [I hope someone hasn't already asked this question.]

Is either faction favored more than the other?
>>
>>554420723

I don't think so, but someone probably should have been...

3.0 was a shitshow, but because so much changed, it was really hard to get a clear picture as to what was actually causing problems. Some of the worst offenders (Arcane Barrage and some Ret abilities) got fixed almost immediately, but yeah, it was problematic. This was kind of an itemization problem as well.

The whole idea that some classes are overpowered for a season and then get nerfed seems to be a popular one, but it's generally not true and it's more that the breakpoint between effectiveness and skill flip flops due to some thing.

A really good example of this is rogues. Rogues, according to every player below 1750, are OP because they stunlock and they silence and they slow and the crippling poisons and whatever and they need a nerf. Rogues, according to every player above 2400 have mobility problems and the other team just forces CDs until they run out, and then they die.

That kind of relationship exists everywhere, and that's mostly where that comes from. We do try to make an effort to balance around most skill brackets that aren't really, really out there, but it's not possible.
>>
>>554420848
im kinda sad about greg leaving. I feel like we drove him away. I know he took other opportunities, but I feel like all our bitching and moaning really hurt him. The community blamed him for a lot.
>>
>>554408559
With a game that has a subscription, paid expansions, a game service shop (char transfers, etc.), and a vanity shop... does it make / did it make money hand over fist like I think it does?

If a lot of money is made, I don't feel that Blizzard treats the game as well as they should. Meaning, how can their be such content gaps at times like the game is currently going through? I know "It's done when it'd done and all, but Blizzard has promised for years to try and get content out sooner. How does this keep happening?
>>
>>554421003
Yes actually! You wanna make out or something?

>>554421204
Alliance don't actually lose *that* many more games. Something like 47% of their games are won. That 3% is huge over the course of millions of games, of course, but they don't really lose that many.

My pet theory is that Alliance tends to attract people who care less about mechanical intricacies which generally results in a less skillful player and more losses. Most people disagree with me and I they are probably right to do so.

I honestly have no idea what the subrate of WoW is. Even at the time, it was not my concern.
>>
>>554421545

Not at all. No one has loyalty to anything other than THE ALMIGHTY SPREADSHEET OF COEFFICIENTS!

No, but seriously, the idea of favoritism is a silly one. We gain nothing from it and stand to lose a lot.
>>
>>554422062
cool. thanks for the thread, also I'm looking forward to this guys question being answered >>554421545
>>
>>554422021

I *think* it makes bank? I mean, I can look up the public financials at the time, but so could anyone else. I had no insider information in that regard.

Content is hard to create. Good content is exceptionally hard to create and WoWEdit is pretty awesome for pushing out content quickly.

The problem is that at some point, throwing more bodies at the problem doesn't make it happen faster. You just get more clutter, more miscommunciation, more fragmented ideas that get half-implemented. The shitstorm just grows and you end up actually taking longer to launch content because of it.

Faster content probably isn't happening because the guys who make it do care deeply about their project and aren't likely to compromise on that. The end result is top notch (#drinkthekoolaid.)
>>
>>554422062
This
>>554422269
Thank you for answering my question.

If you could possibly answer one more - which faction is the maturer or runner to play faction? I ask, because I'm a new player.
>>
I played WoW from about jan 2005 until jan 2014, on and off of course but an enormous amount of time. I've heard people say that the game isn't fun because of getting older, but that isn't true at all. It isn't as fun because it just isn't as fun. A lot of the challenge is gone, the community is dead. The epic-ness of getting epic loot is fucking gone. I remember the moment I finished the Rhok'delar quest on my hunter and was one of only three people on my server to have it, it was amazing and I felt some accomplishment having it since it was hard.

Right now every MMO seems to cater to the younger, I want it now crowd and its horrible. Even shit like the holy trinity is being ruined because its somehow better? Doesn't even make fucking sense. tank/healer/dps works because it works. You stick to a class and get good at it, and that used to get you notoriety on your server. This has been the same way even when I played everquest back in 2000.

Now everyone can do everything and everyone is the same. The homogenization is so depressing and every new mmorpg out there seems to be doing this too. Everquest next was like the only thing I was substantially looking forward to and its going to have the same stupid level-less system. Fuck, i want my games back.
>>
>>554422991

Conventional Community Wisdomâ„¢ will say that Horde is. In reality, the law of large numbers is going to kick in and it'll be a horse a piece.
>>
why are warlocks so nerfed to oblivion that they are worthless defensively against majority of stunning effects and their fear spells are useless when nearly every class has a spell or talent to remove it instantly. I agree with howl of terror being removed instantly but 3 second cast fear should be unremovable
>>
>>554422749
Heh, thanks for the response but it sounds just like the blue posts about the subject.
I don't mean to sound like an ass or anything, your answer helps prove that they are telling the truth.
It's not like I ever disagreed with their logic in this kind of answer, but I always hoped there was more to it... like Bobby Kotick destroying workstations or something.
>>
>>554421249
Posted this question for OP.

I'll revise it to just whether or not you think WoD has hope of bringing back the vanilla/TBC charm?
>>
What's your opinion on EVE Online? I started playing around the time I quit WoW and feel it's better. Partly because it's more brutal to noobs.
>>
>>554423009

Preaching to the choir you are. I think I said it earlier, but I think the core systems of 2.4 are probably the strongest they've ever been. I think that letting the rough edges of the game exist is sometimes a good thing and adds a lot of character to what is otherwise a really 'strict' game.
>>
>>554423009

I started playing WoW when BC was released and only stopped playing last April. I recently came back and honestly, I'm enjoying the game again.

The specialization stuff though, that was one of the reasons I left. I didn't like how specific you had to build and gear your character; that really killed the endgame stuff for me. It felt a little like number crunching and for me, that's just not fun. I found myself staring at my toolbar more and more, instead of looking at what was happening around my character. Plus, the addition of more and more mods was just ruining the game and making it too easy.

I liked the way Guild Wars 2 did things. I built a few characters and just learned to play them well. My Elementalist could move between straight up damage and healing at the press of a button and that was really neat.

Still though...I came back to WoW and that really says something.
>>
Why did you make the DK so incredibly overpowered at the beginnign of Wotlk and why did you take it 3 major patches to finally somewhat balance it?
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 600x765) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 600x765
>>554423576
Fuck you for not acknowledging me thanking you for making an amazing game at the time.
>>
>>554408559
OP please answer this. Do they purposely mess up the pvp balance and then nerf/buff some classes to keep people interested?
I think this question would be more appropriate for a star craft designer but i've been really curious about this.
>>
>>554423009
The games industry is using the Movie industry system now. They produce main stream blockbusters to make the cash, they are vacuous or pander to what ever liberal/conserv ideals are about. If not they spam so much cgi that you feel like you've taken acid.

This goes on to finance the more 'riskier' movies that some directors want to try out.Often they pull in little cash but go on to become cult hits.

It stinks but in the end, bills have to be paid.
>>
Should Blizzard/activision, in general, take more of a Grinding Gear Games direction with interacting with community?

not direct communication, but rather explaning why servers were down and all. example, related to "invalid" items being created https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/861418

There are a few more (longer) like it but don't have them bookmarked
>>
>>554423975
Good question.
I've wondered about this, myself.
>>
Have you ever considered writing a private server? joining any such project?
>>
>>554423193

Last time I touched them was 3.3, when Affliction was *bonkers* (and super fun!).

Warlocks have always been in a really precarious position where a nudge this way or that can either lead to them being hilariously broken (2.4) or hilariously useless (3.0). They have a lot of damage options, soft CC options and their hard CC isn't anything to disregard. They are both hard to play and hard to play against and that's a really good thing, but it tends to exaggerate how they are perceived as well.

>>554423389

Almost certainly not.

Just a quick word on vanilla: It sucked. It was a mess. From my perspective as the guy who wants classes to work: It didn't.

Let me just hit you with this scenario: Enhancement Shaman has a Hand of Justice in the trinket slot, Hand of Rag in weapon slot enchanted with Windfury. What are the upper and lower limits of damage on his next white swing?

Answer: 209348092834 and 10.

Vanilla was a goddamn mess. Good riddance.

Honestly, if you aren't in camp, 'Vanilla is the best thing ever', then we might see a neo-classical look at something like BC, but again, I have no idea what's happening behind the scenes so your guess is as good as mine regarding that.
>>
>>554423975
They were carrying the frost mage spec for ages to the detriment of others, were still being boosted when they were top of the pile.

Hard to say developer bias but I would say it is a lot easier to balance PVP if you have fewer viable specs/classes to balance around.
>>
>>554423576
Whats the story behind ArP? Was it an oversight in design? Did devs not expect people to stack it?
>>
>>554424516
Still not acknowledging me. It's like blizzard 2.4 all over again. Fuck you American chink.
>>
What do you think about Blizz removing most of the "Feel" and "Flavor" of playing a class? Like brewing your own poisons with ingredients from a shady dealer... or trainers actually training you... or practicing dark magic as a warlock from the basement of the slaughtered lamb... or using runes to make portals... or class quests? Convenience takes away feel. Why should everything be so easy unless you're a HC raider?
>>
>>554408559
do you remember when a priest could use levitate to wallclimb in 3.2? goodtimes
>>
>>554424894
Because Rogues with a decent weapon in 2.4 > you
>>
>>554418014
>down goes venruki

rip ;_;
>>
>>554424516

See, what people fail to realize about Vanilla, WoW and the fucking INTERNET in general, is back then in what... 2004? 2005?

The internet and social media was still a very new thing... I mean there were no such things as "trolls" and people calling others "faggots" every other sentence, at least in online video games.

What made WoW so unique was that it truly was ahead of it's time as far as video games go. I mean look what Vanilla WoW brought to the table back in two-thousand fucking 5 (2005).
Massive online multiplayer, unlimited customization, the priceless experience of being a noob and loving every fucking second of it because "Hey what the fuck is an UBRS key!? Sounds bad ass! Let's go get one! " kinda thing.
>>
How do you feel about them removing a lot of the "fluff" spells and abilities that made the classes unique? Do you think that by removing/combining a lot of the abilities that better balance can be achieved? Do classes feel "samey" now compared to when you worked for blizz?
>>
>>554424732
When they introduced it you couldn't stack it to ridiculous ammounts so you never any gained any huge benefit from it, when arp gems were introduced was the first time you could get close to - armour. also the trinkets in BC that had arp bonuses on hit were considered as worse than the stat giving trinkets, still everyone loved dst so as a melee you were essentially experimenting with only one trinket slot, with that you never got close to making arp stacking playable

Remember, back in the days people didn't scrutinize the mechanics closely - if you played vanilla you know that everyone played with their Tier sets because they *thought* they were good, in all honesty for most classes except prot warriors they were horrendous
>>
>>554423560

EVE is a really, really neat game. Players have so much control over the entire game and the fact that it's so well executed is truly something special.

>>554423727

I've been waiting for this question! DKs were strong at the beginning of WotLK because we needed people to play them. Just to be clear, they were not purposely ahead of the curve, but we tended to err on the side of 'more powerful' for their stuff because there would be serious problems if our Shiny New Class was ineffective in the game. They were brought in line in 3.1, mostly because we had good data regarding where they were too effective. Some would argue that they went from the best tanks to the worst tanks in that patch.

>>554423857

Oh, I do appreciate it! I love nothing more than when people say, 'I really liked BC/WotLK was my favorite!' I sincerely do appreciate it :D. so thanks!

>>554423719

I still don't like Specializations. I would have fought for a revamp of the talent trees more than the current specialization system, but I wasn't there at the time, so I couldn't tell you what the motives were.
>>
I wonder if a real, fully-fleshed out old fashioned mmoRPG will ever live again. With an active, thriving community and the holy trinity back, LEVELS and exploration, hopefully without instant teleporting everywhere and just horseback riding or running. My most fun memories from everquest are having to run to the spires in G-fay or the dreadlands in order to get the teleport up to the nexus, sit and talk with other people there, maybe gank someone who was waiting for the next port up. Or having to find a wizard/druid to teleport me from cabilis, as an iksar, to the human/elven cities which would've otherwise literally taken hours of running and dying. Fuck. I'm making myself sad.

The type of communities where interaction was required and the world felt so big is what made the mmo's of the past so great, including WoW. Does anyone know if ANYONE is working on something like this right now?
>>
>>554408559
Also, I hear the competition for a job at Blizzard is pretty rough. How did you like the job? How was the pay? Are you still in game development?
>>
>>554423975

PvP balance is really complicated and we try so very hard to make every class viable. Add the fact that everyone in every bracket wants their class to be effective in their eyes, and you have a total mess. I used the perception of rogue balance earlier tonight, but that concept applies everywhere. What's effective in 2400 isn't effective in 1900, and what's effective in 1900 isn't effective in 1500. etc. etc.

So the problem is not, 'balance the classes'. The problem is 'balance the classes for every bracket.' We'd love to. We try. Oh god do we try, but it's literally impossible, so we get as close as we can. Sometimes we slip and introduce something we didn't forsee, but we don't have alternative motives. The motive is, 'Make the Game Work'.
>>
>>554408559

How do you feel about the paladin class in general?
>>
Loving this thread, and WotLK was GOAT.
>>
>>554424323
fearing it's being overlooked.

And since you say class and item balance was the worse things for vanilla... wouldn't the prospect of salvaging it be...appealing?

saying so as much because it would be nice seeing it with proper mechanics, because there were so much more offshot things you could do

By the way, with the shaman - you missed one aspect, using Ironfoe with an autoequip for sulfuras(or any other) whenever it procced. gives you a base attack of two instead of one whenever it scales off
>>
File: brazilian 1361137249351.jpg (77 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
brazilian 1361137249351.jpg
77 KB, 800x640
>>554423118
>a horse a piece
and you just taught me a colloquial i dont remember ever having heard before
op confirmed for scholar and gentleman
will you work in game dev again?
we need the likes of you to fight the tumblrcunts
>>
>>554424154

Probably not. There are so many moving parts that these kinds of questions don't clear anything up, but just lead to more questions, which leads to more time being spent answering questions and less time being spent fixing the problems.

>>554424323

I'm not a professional coder. I script and I can write, but I'm not nearly as talented as the engine/net/devtools team. So I have not and I probably wouldn't even if I could.
>>
>>554426157
This.
>>
>>554425469
what do you think of Wildstar?
>>
>>554424732

'Look at this cool idea for a stat that scales in a nonlinear fashion relative to the other stats of the class!'

It was a good idea, but it got out of hand. Part of that was the iLevel inflation of 3.3, which was not planned for in 3.0.
>>
>>554425469
BC was a great expansion.

WOTLK clearly toned everything down a bit, but I felt the real tragedy was the fucking dungeons.

Dungeon-Finder shit all over group coordination and interaction, and the dungeons themselves were >20 minutes in length. They became like daily quests rather than actual investments/events.
>>
How did the stat budget actually look? in comparison to its Ilvl, and how did you value misc mechanics on for example trinkets?
>>
File: fingernail regrowth 4145_3.gif (971 KB, 205x205) Image search: [Google]
fingernail regrowth 4145_3.gif
971 KB, 205x205
>>554424070
>It stinks but in the end, bills have to be paid.
bills had to be paid as well when D2 came out
what changed?
why did D3 sell 10 million copies?
the video game industry needs another crash
i wanna see huge game companies suits hanging themselves
>>
>>554424894

I'm a tiny bit responsible for those things.

Mostly because few people care and QoL is king, and keeping up with those kinds of flavor things is simply not worth the time unless that is the game's focus, which in this case, it is not.

>>554425307

I actually really liked the fluff spells. Probably a result of there being an overwhelming number of buttons the bar and something had to give
>>
You have any idea why exactly they implemented resilience as a baseline stat? I feel this has been one of the biggest mistakes in years and from what I've read of the changes in WoD it carries over under a new name, vitality or something, although I could be mistaken on the name exactly.

Why isn't resilience simply being left on gear like it always was in the past? The only justification I can even somewhat see is to cater to the PVE crowd, but this has worked terribly.
>>
Fuck you for playing a warlock. As a feral druid, I hate you and your kind.

<3
>>
>>554408559
I want to know. Long story short.
>Been playing actively since the game started.
>Took 2-4 months break back in Cataclysm
>IRL friends and guildies advenced so much
>Decided to bot, out of nature to catch up.
>Got ban because I tried that Archeology shit
>(I know that was the reason, everyone on the forum that used it got ban within a week or so.)
>I tried several time through the years to get my baby back but no avail.

I've heard too many stories that people managed to get their account back.

I was, honest. I told them yes it was because I thought I was late in progression.

Is it really a way?
Because, I must say. I don't care about the game, actually it's actual contents as for now.

I care for my baby, my 2.0 baby isn't satisfying with all my meta achievements.
>>
>>554427031
Well most mechanics were still rotating 5 spells with another 5 situational (cc, buffs, potions etc)

but finding out what worked, before buttonmasher guides were readily avaliable - must've made your job somewhat facepalming in regards to rogues believing a buckler being a good thing for them in general in alpha - good riddance by the way
>>
>>554425606

Job was posted. I had a contact inside that worked in an unrelated department, but it got me past the first step. 2 remote interviews and an in-person interview gauntlet later, I had a job.

Pay is good. Benefits are awesome.

I am not still in the game industry

>>554426157

I felt like it was heading in a better direction in the 3.X series, coming from a pretty awkward spot in 2.X. As of today, I...honestly don't have a huge opinion on it. It doesn't strike me as terribly offensive, but I don't think it's really that interesting either. Has some really neat PvP interactions, but I think WoP might clean it up a bit so lets hope for that.
>>
How do you feel about druids being gutted in WoD? They mask it as being "ability" pruning, but they are essentially removing the hybrid feel of druids. (IE Only Guardians get Barkskin. Ferals losing roots/bear form abilities. Nerf to healing spells for all specs unless you're resto)
>>
>>554426164

> And since you say class and item balance was the worse things for vanilla... wouldn't the prospect of salvaging it be...appealing?

Not really. It'd be so much work. I mean, clearly you can make lemonade out of lemons (BC says hi!), but vanilla was just so fundamentally *fucked* that if someone handed that to me again and said, 'fix this', I think I'd rather shoot myself. Really, what I'd love to do is revisit BC. I think I could turn 2.3 or 2.4 into something better today with some help.

>By the way, with the shaman - you missed one aspect, using Ironfoe with an autoequip for sulfuras(or any other) whenever it procced. gives you a base attack of two instead of one whenever it scales off

VanillaWoW.txt

> will you work in game dev again?

I think I'd like to at this point. If I could pick, I'd honestly love to do system design for Dota 2. I'm not good at Dota though :(.
>>
>>554426330

I haven't played it, so passing judgement would be unfair. I feel like the end game structure and encounters are neat, but an MMO with <10 buttons is honestly not appealing to me. I enjoy the depth that a whole slew of abilities affords the player. I still watch the game intently
>>
>>554408559
OP I don't really play WoW that much, but what are your views on the game, where it's headed, and possible shifts to consoles? I could be blatantly wrong here, but it seems like the game has lost tons and tons of players over the years, partially due to fees, partially due to console popularity peaks, stuff like that.
Tl;DR
>Your views on WoW's current state (Financially, Popularity, etc.)
>Direction of the game
>Can it continue to survive/thrive on the PC?
>>
>>554426948
this
>>
>>554427552
this. The hybrid idea was realized horribly in vanilla, but was done decently in tbc, their only huge drawback being that they couldn't swap gear between the phase changes in the 30 minutes fights, if you needed a feral to tank Engineer telonicus on phase 3 kael'thas , you could at best have him do sub par cat dps the other phases, I played one. and it was infuriating that whenever I had to use my hybrid, I had to gimp mysels to the ground in my regular aspect for doing so
>>
>>554427469
Lost my account as well from buying a mount from some sketchy source. Only did it because a friend recommended him. Hit by banhammer next day. RIP almost 10 years of WoW.
>>
Why are items like http://www.wowhead.com/item=36942/frostmourne in the game?
>>
>>554427054

Because something had to give in Itemization. Either raiding gear was going to have to be unusable in PvP, or PvP gear was going to have to have a shitload of Stam on it (but this doesn't fix the scaling problem) or we'd have to rethink the way player abilities interacted with players, which totally sucks and we weren't willing to make that concession yet.

More importantly than all of that, resilience was a knob we could turn to slow down or speed up PvP if we needed to without adjusting anything else. It was a tremendously useful stat to have in the game from a system's perspective.
>>
>>554428218
Wow.. let's cry together.
No but really, it kind of suck losing something.. it was like a second life.

Y'know something that you log in everyday, even if you're just chatting with your friends.

Do this and that, long ass leveling and acquiring gears and all.

Then one day, pouf. Gone, game over.
That.. kinda hurts. Even if we got caught.. we should have another chance after a while.
>>
>>554428215
I wasn't really talking in a PvE aspect. More PvP. A feral without barkskin, self heals, or any bearform abilities will be more squishy than a frost mage.

Oh yeah, and what the fuck is up with them merging all the travel forms into one button? Fucking seriously.
>>
>>554427469

I have no idea to be honest. I've nothing to do with the account policies that the GMs enforce

>>554427552

One of my favorite things about druids is that they had So. Many. Goddamn. Buttons.

I loved it! I knew it was going to be a problem eventually. Hell, even as early as 2.1, that was becoming obvious as Druids were a balance nightmare, but who cares, the class had so much character and the skill ceiling was super high.

It's too bad that they finally are getting reworked in WoD in what I feel is a pretty offensive way, but in the defense of the designers, it's probably somewhat necessary.
>>
>>554428135
Atleast in a PvP stand point, well arenas.
I believe have more depth and rely so much more on positioning and movement, which I think makes up for the lack of class depth
>>
>>554428690
No kidding. Ban was pretty recent so I can still see my character and everything. At least its sitting somewhere and not permanently deleted I guess. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/azjolnerub/Zurasmi/simple
>>
>>554428165

> >Your views on WoW's current state (Financially, Popularity, etc.).

The game seems really healthy still. Can't say for sure, but I think it'll be around for awhile.

>Direction of the game

I was disappointed with MoP overall. I honestly think WoD will be better.

>Can it continue to survive/thrive on the PC?

I still think it's probably the best MMO out there, but both FFXIV and Wildstar are really good attempts to contest that. We'll see if that's still the case a year from now.

>>554428452

Artifacts from a long, long time ago...
>>
By the way OP, if you'd have the time, and will. check out corecraft, as they seem to be having great system coders, and they're trying to recreate 2.03 gamewise (talentwise still 2.4.3 because limitations) your expertise would probably help them alot
>>
>>554428801

> Oh yeah, and what the fuck is up with them merging all the travel forms into one button? Fucking seriously.

Druids had too many goddamn buttons. I like tons of buttons. Most players don't.
>>
>>554429220

This very well may be the case. I'll probably pick up the game eventually and check it out
>>
>>554429525
But different forms? They REALLY felt the need to merge Aquatic/Travel/Flight? Like... REALLY?

Right now on beta servers people are having problems. If they're in a zone that they can fly in, the travel form button automatically chooses flight form. What the fuck if they want to use stag?

Leave my kitty alone. Don't like buttons? Roll a fucking warrior.
>>
>>554429440

Honestly, I think it'd be cool to revisit BC and think about those problems again, but Blizzard's lawyers are numerous and I really don't want to skirt the line of what may or may not constitute a violation of some of those contracts
>>
>>554429662
Oh also forgot arena's have a respawn system, so you can beat a better comp/players just by managing your spawns/abusing theirs better then they do for example
>>
>>554429815
goddamn shame...
>>
>>554429815

Opinion on GW2and it's more horizontal approach versus WoW's vertical (gear>everything)?

I know this is a pretty retarded question, but for my peace of mind, is WoW a PvE game with PvP "tacked" on or was the game thought off with pvp support early on? You came in TBC so I'm not sure if you can answer this one.
>>
>>554430480
I guarantee I can boost you in 2s up to atleast 2k rating wearing honor gear
>>
>>554430728
>2s

So can anyone with a brain? Even easier if it's a feral or monk in current WoW. Not sure how this is relevant to the question?
>>
>>554426948
>what changed?
Expenses have shot up but when they don't good old fashioned greed kicks in. If they do take a risk though it has to satisfy all the Social justice tards, regardless of how amazing the gameplay, engine, content is you'll still get people crying about why the main character isn't black/white/female/trans/an alien/a fucking cow and that shit gets on the front page of every lame game journo site nowadays.

How the Goblin race got past the ADL tards always gives me a chuckle.
>>
>>554430480
I think I can. in vanilla pvp was...inexistent. there were no battlegrounds. everyone just killed each other en masse in southshore, when the battlegrounds got released, that disappeared over night.

Oh and imbalance...good old imbalance
>>
are you an ex system engineer or are you trying to be under cover? can you add some uav's in the game? also what's the symbolic framework behind the game? i.e. if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to see it does it fall
>>
Nice try gc.
>>
>>554431206
What I mean by i>>554431206
balance is that clothiers most often got oneshot by wellgeared melees (mostly warrior) and rogues could kill anyone without gear because they could permastun you if they used their abilities correctly Google Maydie and you'll see both events
>>
>>554430480

> Opinion on GW2and it's more horizontal approach versus WoW's vertical (gear>everything)?

I honestly feel like GW2 doesn't work. I don't think you could create finely tuned content for that game. It feels really 'not deliberate'.

Just to clarify what I mean by 'deliberate':

2.X Shatter combo. That was deliberate. You freeze a dude. You get out of melee range, you bolt and lance. That was the plan and the game 'planned' for you to do that.

GW2 did not feel deliberate in it's design. Everyone gets a little bit of healing and some abilities and they might AoE but all these buttons didn't feel like they *worked* as a single, deliberate idea that has come to life in the form of a game. It's the anti-thesis of what I strived for.

That said, I think it is a good game and I think that the bold moves they took to rethink the holy trinity and what exactly the buttons on your bar might do is a good thing for the industry and the genre, but it just didn't click with me.

> is WoW a PvE game with PvP "tacked" on

2.0.3 was designed totally with the idea of Arenas in mind. Not 2s mind you. 3s, 4s and 5s was supposed to be the brackets, but 2s was *way* popular in testing, so that ended up being the drug of choice instead of 4s.

So yeah, PvP was very much a part of all that was TBC WoW and wasn't supposed to be tacked on at all.
>>
>>554430991
>(gear>everything)
>So can anyone with a brain
My point has been proven
>>
>>554431336

System design, not engineer. I make the mechanics work in the game. I don't make the Engine work. The Engine people are way too smart for me.
>>
>>554429235
>http://www.wowhead.com/item=36942/frostmourne
Heeh, lucky you.
The only way that you can check mine is, in-game. You can't check her gear either, just her name. Sleeping in our old guild, offline.

I made a pack with someone because, she was something that I cared for. We "sold" our guild to someone. The only rule that my mates said was to NOT kick my character, ever. Ever.

Hell the idiot respected it, so once in a while I log in and sleep my baby sleeping. Kind of sad.

I am not attached to anything normally, but this fucking.. my god. We raided together for years and years. That's how I've learned English too, by playing WoW and Raiding. So yeah, I guess it's mostly nostalgia.
>>
>>554431506
I was there in classic. PAt and Maydie were personal heroes allll those years ago. This may have been the case and I remember warlocks being fodder. Frost mages though. Fuck frost mages, hard counter man.

Reason I ask is because that's the carebear battlecry whenever the issue of who should be ganker or some shit arises in a discussion.

I recall in mid to late TBC balance was shifted to 2's for pvp.I could be wrong about this. Why didn't this work out? I know resto druids+warrior or sl/sl lock was the bane of all things balance but I've always enjoyed thesynchronization in 2's more than 3's. I
>>
>>554431595
I mean in terms of progression systems you retard. In gw2 there is almsot NO gear progression. WoW is ALL about gear progression you monkey.

Gear progression fucking sucks in my opinion.

>>554431545
awesome you adressed my >>554432025
for the most part. Thanks.
>>
>>554408559

There is a fucking HUGE creature's skeleton underwater south of Dragonblight (Northrend). It makes Galakrond, the massive proto-dragon, known as the "progenitor of dragonkind look small by comparison.

By my best guess, the thing was city-sized. It's hard to judge exactly because much of the tail end is under the seabed. Deathwing, the dragon with the power to destroy the entire world, is only a fraction of this judging from the cinema intro where he's at the entrance to Stromwind.

What the FUCK is this thing? Does it have a name? God damn, just look at this shot of my druid in its eye socket!
>>
>>554432164

Whoa. I actually have no idea, but that is a neat find.
>>
>>554431206
sometimes i feel that noobs get ganked too easily and it's not even fun if they can't fight back at least a little. i feel like a bully but before when i was ganking the alliance i felt like a vigilante, i think in a lot of ways the wow developers pander to the end game users and don't really treat the lower level users with respect. my suggestion is find a balance don't get me wrong they need to be put in place in perspective but at least allow me to enjoy the kill. the only equivlant i can think of is when a hunter goes into the wild with just a knife instead of bringing his high powered sniper scope so he can relish the moment
>>
>>554431545
On your reasoning in GW2, are you certain about it? Not to push the issue too much but I've only recently discovered the magic that is the combo's in that game playing off and on since it's launch.

Say you're a thief and you put down the small blinding aoe. If you lunge through it it puts you into stealth opening the possibility for your stealth #1 to follow up. That seems like deliberate design if you ask me.

Not having to deal with healers and tanks in pvp in that game is always bliss as well but oh well. First impressions is all that matters in this genre.
>>
>>554408559
all the art on the maps, can they come to life? i noticed that they finally did something with the maelstrom in the middle of the map. I'd love to see more creatures that appear in the map appear in the game. after all those cartographers didn't just add that to be cute ;)
>>
>>554432459

Here's another shot. The size is so massive it's extremely hard to get a scale of it (being underwater certainly doesn't help).

The REALLY weird thing is that the in-game map of Northrend actually used to show it's skeleton. Once Cata came out, it disappeared. Very odd. Why go through the trouble of editing it out of the map?
>>
thanks for BC op, it was a beautiful game.. some of the best times of my childhood were spent with real life friends in your virtual space... some people get nostalgia going back to their old bedroom, i get it going back to elwynn forest. it was a fucking amazing game back then, the story, the music, the atmosphere. Kara was awesome, BT was awesome, sunwell was awesome, all of outlands was sick... just awesome. ty for the experience.
>>
>>554408559
OP, I don't know if you'll be able to answer this, but when 3.0.2 came out, it turned BM Hunters into shit. Even BRK turned to SV just to stay viable. I understand that BM was a little OP, but that patch made it really broken for most of Wrath.

Mind you, I think Wrath was the golden age of WoW. Best lore, best dungeons, best zone design, best music. I had gotten my Loque'nahak about two weeks before that patch, and then was forced to go SV/MM just to be taken into raiding groups and couldn't use him. It sucked. In Cata, BM became good again, but not before I stopped playing (just before 4.1).
>>
>>554432425

Oh, and to prove my point about Galakrond, here's my Tauren standing in its skeletal eye socket. Compare it to the underwater creature.
>>
>>554432594
just realized how this could be fixed , add a hitman service to the game .. where if your a little nooby in a contested territoriality and you get fucked up.. you instantly get a button that says call for backup and you have the option of immediately summoning a player of equal item level stats to the scene, you could even create an award based system for fighting the griefers ... most griefers work alone. but if they work in groups you could account for that in later patches depending on how it goes
>>
>not working on 3.3.5 master race
casual.
that said, you have any fucking clue what was going through these fookin mates head while implementing static resilience? Like real talk that shit its ruining the fucking game
>>
>>554432770

I'll disclaimer this and say I've put maybe 100 hours into GW2, which is not nearly enough to make a completely fair analysis.

The combo system is neat (and as you mentioned, the combos are deliberate) and I think there are elements of real creativity there. Actually, the entire game just oozes creativity and I really appreciate that.

Even now I'm rethinking this, and I'm using a measuring stick more appropriate for a more traditional MMO. I never really treated GW2 as a pure PvP experience, even though if we were being honest, the PvP audience is clearly the intended target.

I really enjoy the idea of a hotkey MMO with total consistency in class design though, and that usually means it's built around the trinity of roles. Something like the 3.X warlock, where you had dots, and one of your dots protected your other dots, and then you had a nuke, but it made your dots better, and then you had a channel, but your talents in your dot tree enhanced it. Your CC and your utility was built around the idea that it'd give you time to get your stupid dots off and so you had this package of 30 buttons and literally all of them had at least some kind of mechanical synergy with each other.

I really liked that and I didn't feel like that was present in GW2. Again, about 100 hours was put into it, so maybe I'm just awful at the game and by re-inventing what a hotkey MMO looks like, it has broken my head :P.
>>
By the way. One more question came to mind. were it ever talk of making an Emereald dream expansion? if so, why wasn't it? Since well, there's lore, even game files, obvious enemy etc...but pandaland -.-
>>
>>554432164
>[Deleted] Anonymous XY/CZj+Y 07/03/14(Thu)03:48:11 No.554432164 >>554432459Screenshot2011-06-26at849(...).pngScreenshot2011-06-26at84922PM_zpse787e21d.png (808 KB, 1001x563)googleiqdb>>554408559(OP)
>
>There is a fucking HUGE creature's skeleton underwater south of Dragonblight (Northrend). It makes Galakrond, the massive proto-dragon, known as the "progenitor of dragonkind look small by comparison.
>
>By my best guess, the thing was city-sized. It's hard to judge exactly because much of the tail end is under the seabed. Deathwing, the dragon with the power to destroy the entire world, is only a fraction of this judging from the cinema intro where he's at the entrance to Stromwind.
>
>What the FUCK is this thing? God damn, just look at this shot of my druid where at its eye socket!
>>
>>554434139
I guess they wrapped it up in one of the books. It's a fucking shame, because I think that would have been an amazing expansion. Better than Cata or Mists.
>>
>>554432594
problem is fucking 310% flyers -> damn near 460% with passives/guild bonus flyers, no low level can even dream of escaping on his ground mount in azeroth, also back in the day of being level 60, a good level 40 could survive even with his just 60% mount while making use of mechanics
>>
>>554434139

That was way above my pay grade.

My coffee binge is wearing off though and I'm quite sleepy, so to bed I go. Hope we all had fun!
>>
>>554434453
Actually, the flyer increases mounted movement speed by 310%. Meaning, 100% (walking) + 310% = 410%, then subject to any percent modifiers.
>>
>>554434478
D:
>>
Was WoW intended to last only 2 expansions? TBC and WOTLK? It seems that blizzard had no idea where to go next after those 2 expansions.
>>
GM Island, what was it really for?
Also can you share anything about other easter eggs, or exploitable zones such as Emerald Dream or Designer's Island?

I used to be a big explorer back in the day, even if I had to model edit zeppelin coords
>>
>>554435002
no expansions were ever originally thought of. wow was to be the next iteration of the warcraft franchise, but it was a very experimental process, they only realized they hit the motherlode after release
>>
>>554435116
Gm island was a place where Gms could log into the game before teleporting elsewhere, this was apparent as you could add GMs to your friend list in early vanilla, whenever they logged, they would be on GM island.
>>
>>554435376
>s to your friend list in early vanilla, whenever they logged, they would be on GM island.

Yeah You could /who GMs back aorund 12.x but not the Island just sits around and is still apart of Kalimdor
>>
>>554422062
Met a few alliance players back in TBC in highschool. They all honestly thought of the Horde as monsters and they're the good guys.
>>
I was actually looking at trying to get a job at blizzard sometime soon as a game animator. Whats the application process like?
>>
File: 1403419020496.jpg (23 KB, 515x515) Image search: [Google]
1403419020496.jpg
23 KB, 515x515
>>554408559
>>554437267
>>
File: nostalgia.jpg (163 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
nostalgia.jpg
163 KB, 1024x768
>>554437267
>tfw my Calculus teacher's husband works at Blizzard.
>tfw she said she'd help me apply for next summer's internships
>tfw live in Irvine, like less than 5 minutes from Blizz HQ

Very excited and very hopeful that next summer will be amazing.

is OP still in the thread? BC raider reporting it. God I miss those years. Absolutely a blast. The game was truly at its prime.

>>554436713
I loved the way WoW was capable of making each faction's players hate the other.

Fuck the Alliance.
>>
>>554423009
You should try archeage. I've been playing alpha for about a month and I'm still baffled at how in depth the game is. I thought it was hard before, but the patch they just released like 5 hours ago just made the game ridiculously more challenging. You're going to have to work really fucking hard to get the resources to become a solid guild and really make a mark on your server. Alpha is 150 dollars so you may want to wait until launch and pay for a month or two just to try it then because right now it's kind've unpolished and overcrowded since there's only 2 servers and loads of people (It's a sandbox). I've played wow for just under 9 years so Idk, I kind've hold games to at least a standard of being as fun as wow. I could be wrong though and you hate it.
>>
>>554437415
who's that
>>
File: 1403959904214.gif (9 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1403959904214.gif
9 KB, 160x160
Bump
>>
File: 1366527079382.png (196 KB, 361x361) Image search: [Google]
1366527079382.png
196 KB, 361x361
Bump2.4.3
>>
dont let it die
>>
File: 1395385399295.jpg (50 KB, 378x475) Image search: [Google]
1395385399295.jpg
50 KB, 378x475
bump

I'm scared to pre order WoD because they're offering something that they'd otherwise charge 60 dollars for included with it.

/b/ I'm not playing another MoP I just can't.
>>
>>554425069
If you sucked, yes. Rogue teams were counterable back then, even if they had 4/4 and glaives.
>>
File: 1366525588214.png (196 KB, 361x361) Image search: [Google]
1366525588214.png
196 KB, 361x361
>>554439645
>didn't play MoP
>watched multiple videos about how bad the launch was
>so glad I played wow during vanilla, primed in TBC, and quit in wotlk

MoP was really THAT terrible, huh?
>>
>>554408559
What did you think of the funservers like Antrix
>>
>>554438156
you lucky fuck.

in other news. OP left the thread to go sleep some time ago
>>
>>554440128
I played a little in wotlk, all through cata, and a few seasons through MoP. The game feels beyond fixable in a single expansion. They totally fucked all the original content ideas with bloat content and filler shit. Panda land was terrible to level through because everything looked cancerous as fuck and there was too much going on.
>>
>>554440557
Damn.

It's funny, as much as I loved WoW I think if I got a job there's no way I'd work on the WoW team. The game is just too different.

I am really interested in Heroes of the Storm though. I think it has a lot of potential
>>
>>554408559
got my account banned for botting a lower lvl toon to level when I was like 15. 21 now, can I get that shit back?!
>>
hey OP you seem legit

thanks for the job man, I started playing in 2.2 and dropped it about 2 or 3 months after killing arthas, I remember the ammount of fun I had. Our tenure seemed to overlap.

I dropped mainly because my friends did it first, and after a while, playing this game alone was a real shitty experience. I didn't have many friends ingame and the few I had vanished. I had a blast with three guilds.
>>
>>554408559
My favorite time frame of WoW is from beginning of WoTLK and then stopping half way through Cataclysm. Do you think the core of the game mechanics are still there? Now i think through all the half ass content, the community has changed, the glory of raiding, and pvp is just not the same since the end of WoTLK. What do you think?
>>
>>554443494
guild communities are still there, just depends on your server and the guild
>>
wow, good shit, this is why i still browse /b/, the occasional "random" good thread still pops up, thanks OP
Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.