[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Escrima
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 270x187) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 270x187
Would escrima help my fighting in any way? I've trained in boxing, karate, muay, judo and sambo and I'm now in a situation where escrima is available to me. The place seems pretty good, genuine pinoy tuhon with national champs coming down semi regularly to take classes and such.
My main question is if there's anything escrima has that can add to my fighting besides the weapons stuff
>>
>>996506
It'd probably make you better at escrima
>>
>>996506
its a lot of fun
you can also translate armed skills to unarmed combat
if you have a chance to do it at a good place for a good price i'd definitely go if i were you
>>
>>996506
You'll probably learn one or two things you can add to your unarmed toolbox, but no, eskrima is for weapons.
The upside is, it's weapons that are commonly available and easily improvised Everyone should carry a knife, and you can find a stick anywhere. So eskrima is good to know if you really get in a bad situation (assuming you don't carry a gun.)
>>
you don't need to learn how to hit someone with a stick, you just hit them with a stick
>>
>>997791
>You don't need to learn how to punch someone, you just punch them.
>You don't need to learn how to choke someone, you just choke them.
>You don't need to learn how to kick someone, you just kick them.
>You don't need to learn how to snap someone's arm, you just snap it.
All of these are just as true as your post.
>>
>>997818
but you do need to learn how to do all those things
you have to learn how to ball your fist properly, how to snap your kicks and not lose your balance, how to create a fulcrum, how to lock a choke in

fighting with a stick ammounts to
step 1: acquire stick
step 2: swing as hard as you can at the bad guy

I don't need to learn how to stab someone with a knife either, you just stab them with the knife
>>
>>997935
You need to learn to block, feint, maximize the power/speed in your swings, how to do short and fast swings and how to do big and powerful swings. How to read your opponents moves, how to utilize the range of your weapon, vital targets, footwork, ect, ect.
>>
>>998017
But if you have a stick and they don't, you can screw all that up and still win.
>>
>>998090
So your argument is having a weapon beats not having a weapon? Well no fucking shit. Even then, knowing how to use it can help, especially if you're up against bad odds.
>>
>>998099
but what are the chances you both have sticks unless you are in escrima class

its just like kendo, I wouldn't consider it a martial art that is in any way relevant I dont plan on getting into any sword fights, and if I'm the only one that's armed I dont think it matters how much I practiced
>>
>>998120
Even if you both have sticks, just wrestle the other guy and take his stick so you have two. Dueling is stupid when you have other options.
>>
>>998120
Sticks are VERY easy to improvise. It doesn't have to be a STICK. Any more-or-less straight, rigid object you can swing quickly with one hand is a stick. Eskrima also teaches knife fighting, and lots of people carry knives already.
>>
>>998127
I'm a bonerfried karate man so I'm confident I can safeguard myself from a blunt weapon, and I know you don't fuck with bladed ones
there is no such thing as a knife fight, there are just stabbings
>>
>2016
>not settling things like gentlemen and having swordfights to settle things
>>
>>996506
What my coach (head coach 3 UFC champions) has said is that since the sticks move at a higher rate than hands, it can help improve reaction time.
>>
>>996506

Well, I know a MMA guy who crosstrains in escrima. I'm doing serveral martial arts.

Escrima will add some sneaky stuff to your boxing, especially when it comes from the transition form striking to grappling. The thought behind it is that against a knife you immediately have to restrict the attackers movements and take him down. It's much more agressive than boxing, each block is an attack. You never just parry, you alway try to do stuff like pulling him in, knocking his defense
down or open him up (i.e. one hand opens up the defense, the other one strikes). Of course this kind of stuff isn't that easy to pull against a good fighter, that's why I said some "simpler" boxing behind it is definately advisable. But since you have boxing skills, why not giving it a try?

It's amazing for weapons and has some gimmicks for unarmed fighting. And it's much fun. Another benefit would be the fast pace and the footwork, which is a little bit close to boxing but slightly different.

But if you do it for unarmed fighting alone it has a bad "return on investment", it's more like you learn aa amazing weapon art and have probably some nice side effect for unarmed fighting.
>>
>>996506
Weapons handling is different from unarmed combat.
Escrima will give you a feel for using weapons instead of just your hands. It will broaden your horizon.

What kind of escrima do they offer you?
>>
>>998179
>there is no such thing as a knife fight, there are just stabbings
Such delusions are typical of non-weapons combat practitioners such as yourself.

There are indeed, knife fights. Both skilled, and non-skilled.

What are you, some kind of sheltered baby born after 1999?

It doesn't even have to be the developed world.

Go live in some 3rd world shithole for a while, get to know the people, and you'll see knife fights. You'll also see stabbings, but you'll see knife fights.
>>
>>1010195
>Go live in some 3rd world shithole for a while, get to know the people
why would I ever want to do that?

I don't even want to venture to into the rural US
>>
>>998126
>Even if you both have sticks, just wrestle the other guy and take his stick so you have two
Have fun getting hit.
>>
>>1010206
>why would I ever want to do that?
It's not about what you want, it's about what I want.
I want you to know for a fact that knife fights actually exist.
If you're >>998179 in the first place. The post style is a little different.
>>
>>1010195
>Such delusions are typical of non-weapons combat practitioners such as yourself.
I practice eskrima and everyone in the room agreed that the winner in a knife fight is generally the one who dies second.

You'd have to have vapor for brains to think that engaging in a knife fight is ever a good idea.
>>
>>1010255

Knife and cloth shield fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hccyPJ7a8j4&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhccyPJ7a8j4&has_verified=1

Machete fight
youtube.com/watch?v=VhV9xTPRvaI

Gang weapons fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWrYUUIrR2o

Knife vs unarmed fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTsM_YUOrQ

Are you going to stop being a stupid dumbass, or do I need to spend hours compiling all the video evidence I can find that directly contradicts your claims, and then some?
>>
>>1010255

>You'd have to have vapor for brains to think that engaging in a knife fight is ever a good idea.

Absolutely.

> the winner in a knife fight is generally the one who dies second.

This kind of comments are usually made by people who never were into knife fights. I have two friends who got into knife fights (unarmed!) and both won. Of course they had to visit a hospital, but that's not the point. The point of knife fighting isn't to made it out without getting cut. The point is to protect your vital areas and disable the guy before he can seriously harm you so you can make it out alive.

You need a lot of agression, a good hand eye coordination and a tad luck to fight against someone with a knife. And of course a really good knife fighter will just chop you down.

But honestly, the chances to meet a serious knife fighter are much smaller than to meet a pro boxer or even a BJJ blackbelt. Those guy could also kill you very easily, it's just a matter of the will to kill. Somehow people aren't that much afraid of them, because they are "sports", but they'll go into freeze mode as soon as someone pulls a knife. It surely is related to the fact that people aren't exposed to knifes in fights nowadays.
>>
>>1018481
So much this
>>
>>1010255
>You'd have to have vapor for brains to think that engaging in a knife fight is ever a good idea.
>>1018481
>Absolutely.

>live in shithole
>local gang takes your people prisoner and uses you as slaves
>your only child is very undernourished
>child gets sick, nothing major, but because your child is starving, your child could very well die
>local gang hosts knife fights for money
>you have no means of escape or making money
>if you don't knife fight, your only child dies

>you work for a crime lord
>you're wanted, and will be sentenced to death if caught
>you piss him off
>he wants you dead
>he's also pissed at another guy
>he offers knife fight with the guy for a chance to keep your life
>if you go to the cops, you die
>if you try to run, you'll be hunted and killed before you can leave the state

>be working at psych ward
>you're an after hours janitor
>staff is minimal
>you're in boiler room, doing janitor shit
>escaped patient managed to get 2 kitchen knives
>walks into boiler room
>locks the door, jams the lock with something
>throws you the knife
>wants you to fight him
>you have no way of contacting others
>the patient will attack you if you don't knife fight him

>be scientist conducting tests on the international space station
>get sucked into worm hole
>be in alternate dimension
>earth-like planet with human like dominant species
>they happen to speak in British accents
>some guys kidnap you
>you're given a knife
>you're put in a cage with another being with a knife
>they tell you guys to fight
>>
>>998120
You sound like one of those people who learn everything from YouTube.

Or straight out of a McDojo. Point is if a fine keyboard warrior such as yourself ever fought, you'd lose.

>inb4 I'm actually a black belt grand master
Form competition doesn't count
>inb4 my combat record is
You made it up
>inb4 I won these street fights
You're still lying
>here's a trophy with time stamp
You bought it yourself
>I'd kill you in real life
No you wouldn't
>>
>>1010212
Just cover your head and run at the guy. Watch some Dog Brothers videos to see this in action. If anything can be learned from full contact stick fighting, it's that wrestling beats sticks.
>>
>>1020024
>Just cover your head and run at the guy.
Do they happen to wear armor, and did they not hit each other at full force?
Because doing that without armor, you're getting your hands and arms broken, and then the rest of you is getting broken.
>>
>>1020024
>Just cover your head and run at the guy.
>>1020041
>you're getting your hands and arms broken
If he's running at you while covering his head, hit his legs.
>>
>>1019949
>situations beyond your control are your own idea
wat

No shit I'd fight a knife guy if that was my only option. Doesn't change the fact that, if there's any other option, it would be better to fucking avoid the knife fight.
>>
>>1024857
>your control are your own idea

You could let your child die, you could take the small chance that you'll at least live long enough to make it out of the general area where it'll be harder to find you, you could take the chance of trying to reason with the mentally insane person and hoping some staff will try to have sex or take a nap and find you, you could not fight and hope they don't kill you.

You always have a choice.
>>
>>996506
Yes.
>>
I like FMA.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.