[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Striking general - Muay Thai edition Post about your training,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
File: tonyJa.jpg (189 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tonyJa.jpg
189 KB, 1920x1080
Striking general - Muay Thai edition
Post about your training, experiences, or questions here
>>
Rich Westerner here, I want to travel to Thailand or some place and train Muy Thai for a month or so. Any gyms host amateurs like that?
>>
>>875200
Try to find Master Toddy's gym. Really just stay in Bangkok for any gyms.
Do your research beforehand on places to stay, costs, etc.
Most of all stay hydrated during training, you're probably not used to tropical heat, let alone the heat + exertion of training
>>
>>875200
Oh also, they push westerners extremely hard into pro fights. Knowing they aren't ready, so they can get money. Don't fight until you're ready.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNoGhdhKyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaowBGf-j50
>>
newfag here
muay thai or kickboxing?
didn't try any of them, just curious about opinions so I can make a choice
>>
>>875217
I'm from Texas, how would I fare
>>
>>875489

Muay Thai:
>weak punching
>weak kicks
>weak grappling
>but has elbows and knees along with the weak punching and weak kicks
>combines striking with grappling, which is good for MMA

Kickboxing:
>no elbows and knees
>no grappling
>good punching
>good kicking
>combines punching and kicking well
>did I mention how much better the kicking portion of Kickboxing is compared to Muay Thai? Sure, the Kicking portion isn't as good as Taekwondo, but it's a lot better than Muay Thai kicking.
>>
>>875557
>in kicking, Muay Thai < Kickboxing < TKD
Idk man, in TKD it seems like the kicks are designed to simply make contact. In kickboxing and muay thai, it's meant to really put someone down. TKD emphasize "snap". Kickboxing and especially muay thai emphasize follow-through.
>>
File: Taekwondo.jpg (286 KB, 854x1116) Image search: [Google]
Taekwondo.jpg
286 KB, 854x1116
>>875574
Here's TKD rules.
Punches have to be hard to score a point, most punches don't cut it.
Kicks have to be hard to score a point.

TKD is a very kicking heavy art, therefore, it has a variety of kicks. There just happens to be a lot of kicks with the "snap" mechanics.
Having snap does not mean there is no follow through.

Not to mention the wide variety of kicks in Taekwondo.
>>
File: More Taekwondo.jpg (289 KB, 862x1290) Image search: [Google]
More Taekwondo.jpg
289 KB, 862x1290
>>875574
>>875610
>>
File: taekwondo.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
taekwondo.gif
2 MB, 360x202
>>875574
>>
File: Deadly TKD.webm (647 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Deadly TKD.webm
647 KB, 600x338
>>875574
>>875614
>>
>>875610
>>875613
>>875614
>>875616
The rules in TKD are exactingly crafted to make sure matches are won via kick. You can't punch to the head and can't kick below the waist? The whole reason that any kind of kick pressure rule has to be made is because they've set up a system where contact matters more than effect, and they have to sell it. You know why muay thai doesn't have a pressure rule? Because it doesn't need one. Because they're actually fighting.
>>
File: 1431749710235.jpg (44 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1431749710235.jpg
44 KB, 800x600
>>875621
>>
>>875630
calling bait instead of addressing the argument is like the taekwondo of debate.
>>
File: 1428098581282.png (206 KB, 1198x1200) Image search: [Google]
1428098581282.png
206 KB, 1198x1200
>>875634
>>
>>875642
death rattles
>>
>>875557
This is bait

>>875489
Muay Thai
>>
>>875489
Don't listen to >>875717, he's just stupid.
>>
>>875721
Stop impersonating me you fuck
>>
Forgot name
>>
File: g014.jpg (169 KB, 820x1200) Image search: [Google]
g014.jpg
169 KB, 820x1200
>>875574
>TKD emphasize "snap".
Because it's a different way of kicking. 'Snap kicks still have follow through with pivoting on the foot, body rotation and the hip. Ands it's powerful and can K.O. just different. KSKM got it abit with 'distance'. Shin kicks farther away, 'snap kicks' closer
>>
>>875557
>Muay Thai
>weak punching
>weak kicks
How the fuck does it? It's known for having strong sets of both.
>>
>>880332
people get rushed through the belts and don't take the time to develop basics. you end up with black belts who know a bunch of fancy kicks, but will fall over from even attempting them on anything that isn't a heavy bag.

simple statement: do not skimp on the basics.
>>
File: 2.jpg (6 KB, 253x234) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
6 KB, 253x234
>>880742
>muay thai
>black belts
>>
Anyone already had a lump on the shin that doesn't go away after almost 2 months, and hurt like hell when I hit with this leg?
Any way to fix this?

But I guess not, I shouldn't have start mt at 35 with no prior training...and now I'm pissed off because I fucking love mt...oh well, maybe I can take boxing instead if my shin doesn't heal. Or just say I tried and go back to being a lazy fuck that never leaves his couch.

[/myjournal]
>>
>>880332
Actually no, muay thai punches ARE weak compared to other types of boxing.
>>
>>880799
But muay thai punches are basically boxing punches, no? At least that's the way I learned it.
>>
>>880795
how did you get the lump in the first place?

if you've never actually done any shin conditioning then it will take a long while to heal, don't continue to kick with that leg and look up healing techniques
>>
>>880795
Might be a fluid buildup, go to the doctor and get it drained.
>>
>>880828
Last hope here. Thanks.

>>880825
Yeah I probably should stop trying and wait for it to heal instead of being stubborn. As to how I got it in the first place, I don't remember exactly since I discovered it at home the first time, didn't really hurt during the traning.
Probably sparring and hitting a knee accidentally with the shin. Happened to me a few times.
>>
>>880828
>Might be a fluid buildup, go to the doctor and get it drained.

>tfw I've had something like that for more than 2-4 years
I got it by hitting my knee while doing Parkour.
>>
>>880758
He meant so called MT `experts` who should be less shitty than they are
>>
>>880742
It's a damn shame people think the basics are useless and make their martial art/s shittier by giving them up/not practicing them
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.