[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you /asp/ies feel about chinese martial arts.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: qi gong.jpg (41 KB, 470x352) Image search: [Google]
qi gong.jpg
41 KB, 470x352
How do you /asp/ies feel about chinese martial arts.
>>
>>839109
/asp/ in general isn't a big fan if anything other than sanda/sanshou, unless you say that you're doing it for the cool factor, because you're into some philosophical Chinese shit, or are a straight chinaboo. Mostly because of questionable effectiveness/it taking a hell of a lot longer to be good enough for it to be effective than some other arts. Personally, I've seen some not shit grappling from certain cma stuff, and taichi seems cool because muh health and doing it unto seniority. Plus, I figure cm a is probably better with their weapons than hand to hand, though I don't do hema so I don't know if that would even be good.
>>
I respect CMA, they just need a little more sparring.
>>
>>839220
Isn't Sanshou basically said martial arts just applied to a competitive setting? Mcregor and Lyoto have a traditional mart arts style and it works for them, Mcregor especially flows a lot like Bruce Lee.
>>
>>839380
Yep. Pretty sure it basically ends up as kickboxing with a cma flair. So a lot of people on /asp/ figure the arts are shit, so they switch to an effective for fighting, in this case being kboxing and it's relatives, and just still happen to keep any few useful things.
I kind of tend to lean a bit in that direction, but I haven't had any personal experiences with cma, so I'm reserving my judgment. You can see it as either proof than cma can be good, or that to be good or has to change. I dunno.
>>
>>839392
Yi Long is proof it can be good.
>>
>>839399
Oh, a monk dude, cool. People are going to brush it off and say it's because he trained different for mma or some shit. I don't know either way. I think one of the big things is the reliability. It's a lot easier to git gud with a lot of non-cma, and people here seem to value. Though that would probably be considered moving the goalposts or back pedaling. I'll definitely take a look at this guy though.
>>
Would bajiquan be good to learn on top of boxing and kickboxing/Muay Thai?
>>
>>839594
It's good to supplement things like Sanshou/Sanda, Kyokushin Karate, Muay Thai, Freestyle Wrestling
with things like Boxing, Taekwondo, Judo, and BJJ.
Feel free to supplement Kickboxing and Muay Thai with Bajiquan.
>>
Did half a year of Tai Chi Chuan until circumstances forced me to quit. I still use the footwork and principles in both daily life and several grappling arts I do.
>>
>>839669
Give us some examples m8. Tell us about the principles.
>>
>>839109
Anon who relentlessly shits on CMA here:

It's not so bad when people who are doing it either know they are not learning to fight (if I'm being nice I'd say they aren't efficiently learning) or they are train ing and fighting Sanda/San Shou.

There are a few people who've effectively translated their CMA to fighting (Omega from Bullshido comes to mind), but they are the exceptions to the rule. I've also seen a CMA fighter win an amateur fight on a card I fought on, but I know for a fact that they don't train like 99% of CMA schools because the guy who runs it trained with Don The Dragon Wilson.
>>
>>840469
You do know sanshou itself is not actually a style right?
>>
>>840494
Yes, I know it's "free fighting". But if we're being honest here it's really just Chinese kick boxing.

The guys who are training and competing in San Shou are using methods and programming that actual fighters are using. They aren't relying on forms and horse stance to win them a fight.

It may as well be considered separate from other CMA just like Full Contact Karate started to become separate from how Karate at the time was being trained in the West.
>>
To clarify here on why I think of San Shou as separate:

If you're training for a fight, you're going to adapt your training methods and programming to the fight and what actually works in a fight against a resisting opponent. Thus it turns into kick boxing and is really about as close to Wing Chun as Formula 1 is to going around your block as fast as you can in a beater.
>>
>>839109
Unrelenting bullshit

>>839399
>>839425
Literally no relation to shaolin at all. It's a sell you mongoloids.
>>
>>839109
The forms look nice to watch.
>>
File: ipmanff1.gif (2 MB, 350x149) Image search: [Google]
ipmanff1.gif
2 MB, 350x149
I liked the Ip Man movies.
>>
>>840653
This. I've trained CMA (wing chun & hung gar) and Sanda, and there is really no overlap what so ever.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.