[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im interested in boxing /asp/ but im afraid of destroying my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: face.jpg (285 KB, 1180x787) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
285 KB, 1180x787
Im interested in boxing /asp/ but im afraid of destroying my brain. Im an engineering student so my head safety is kinda important to me. Should I quit while Im still ahead or do I have nothing to worry about?
>>
Just find a good Kyokushin Karate dojo.
You can still get kicked in the head, but you'll get kicked in the head far less in Kyokushin Karate than you'll get punched in the head in Western Boxing.

Kyokushin Karate is basically Japanese Kickboxing.
>>
>engineering student
>studying to be a homosexual
>>
>>837772
Does anybody knows when you start to be punch drunk like always?

Lately I've been forgeting words and my tongue it's getting kind of lazy.
>>
if you go too the right gym, you should never be forced to spar or feel uncomfortable about exposing yourself to potential head injury, or you could simply wear head gear
>>
well, you can always wear head gear as >>838018
said, as well as just inform your possible sparring partner that you will not full power (they will normally refrain from going so hard) if you notice him going really hard.
I was sure of taking up muay thai a year ago, and I can tell that that it depends on your partner, there is always that cunt who will not respect and try to hit you, however they are not the majority. Don't worry anon, you will be fine, the only thing that can cause some damage to your brain, according to a proffesor of mine whom is psychologist, is getting ko'd/dizzy from a punch.
>>
>>837772
Every shot to the head, even light jabs, will cause brain damage. The shaking, twisting, shearing forces on the brain can not be removed from getting punched in the face.

The problem is that some dude can go through it relatively ok but some dudes only need one small concussion to fuck their endocrine production. Look at where the pituitary lies. It's a little nutsack embedded into the bottom layer of the skull. When you take a hit that little stem can take irrepairble damage. Can't see it on any imaging technology we have yet. You wait till the symptoms of a compromised endocrine show up.

You can study the forms: foot work, head movement, balance, hand speed, mitt work; but don't spar. You don't need to spar to know that punching someone in the head works.

Those are the risks.
>>
>>838018
This

and

>>838300
This

Sparring is essential if you want to compete, important if you want to learn to defend yourself, and a nonissue if you're there for fitness.

Different brands purposely make overstuffed headgear SPECIFICALLY for sparring (as opposed to the weight limitations of Amateur headgear) and will do a much better job protecting your face. Like others have said though, it's entirely dependent on your own body make up.
>>
File: 9991.jpg (394 KB, 1200x1544) Image search: [Google]
9991.jpg
394 KB, 1200x1544
No amount of padding in the head gear will stop the brain from accelerating and stopping in it's skull. That is why head gear will do nothing to hinder brain damage. The initial acceleration will cause the brain to crumple against the frontal bone. Padding will insignificantly allow the acceleration to happen more gradually. It's a fucking punch though. Your head will whip back and be caught by your neck or the floor causing the brain now to deform into the Ocipital and Parietal bone. The head is round and on a swivel so it won't go just directly back and directly forward. The head will turn to one side or the other causing a twisting motion along with the forward and backward motion. When the brain suddenly stops against the skull walls this twisting of the brain tissue is what will cause shearing force to be applied on the delicate axons and nerve cell bodies that make up your white and grey brain matter. Our brain is basically an entangled bundle of micro threads. These threads, axons, can be up to a foot in length. They transmit information from place to place; and so, you can see how just a little fuckery can have you fucked.

>TLDR:
The superficial skin and bone damage is nothing to worry about. Head gear will help that and do nothing for brain damage. Pro-boxers are making the shift, due to these evidences, to low-to-no contact sparring.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.