[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Jeet Kun Do worth learning? First fighting style btw. Want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: 1446227412402.jpg (41 KB, 272x400) Image search: [Google]
1446227412402.jpg
41 KB, 272x400
Is Jeet Kun Do worth learning?
First fighting style btw. Want to learn, any suggestions?
>>
Jeet Kun Do is a philosophy, not a martial art.
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 212x238) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 212x238
Learn muay thai. You nigger.
>>
>>834358
This. Read a book.
>>
Holy fuck; why is this so expensive?
The nigger's already dead.
>>
File: Bruce Lee's Book.jpg (111 KB, 1009x475) Image search: [Google]
Bruce Lee's Book.jpg
111 KB, 1009x475
>>835348
>being a stupid fucking dumbass, and forgetting the image
>>
File: drop seio 2.gif (850 KB, 280x216) Image search: [Google]
drop seio 2.gif
850 KB, 280x216
The funny thing about all these JKD schools is that Lee explicitly states in that book that any school claiming to teach "JKD" would be a fraud. Lee's Jeet Kune Do philosophy was essentially "look for what works, and train that".

So, >>835169 is pretty much right.

You want to be a striker? Train the striking styles that have been tested and proven. Want to learn grappling? Train the grappling styles that have a good track record of success. Call it JKD in order to satisfy your Bruce-A-Boo leanings, if you want.
>>
>>835452
>So, >>835169 is pretty much right.
>2015
>not hybrid martial art systems
>>
File: harai goshi akiyama.gif (1023 KB, 500x220) Image search: [Google]
harai goshi akiyama.gif
1023 KB, 500x220
>>835468

Most of the better MMA fighter got a solid base in one or more martial arts, then trained MMA to tie it all in together. It's a focus thing.
>>
>>835556
Read the
>>2015
part.
>>
No.

Boxing/muay thai + bjj/judo/wrestling.
>>
>>835452
in my experience most "legit" jkd school are basically crosstraining gyms based on wing chun, kali and escrima
have also seen some with muay thai and bjj classes,but I think all jkd schools have wing chun as base though
>>
>>835556
mhm i think the reason pretty much all pro mma fighters have a base in one ma is because they all started very young and its just really rare to have the opportunity to train mma at a young age, especially when you consider the times were different 10-15 years ago when most of the current mma pros were young

so i really cant agree when you say focusing on one ma as a solid base will make you a better mma fighter than just going straight for mma
>>
>>836072
Therein lies one of the contributions to their being a waste of time
>>
Take whatever you like. Most of the time you will fall back to using the basic techniques anyway, since they are sufficient for most situations and you have a way lower risk of fucking them up.

I've been doing MA for over twenty years now, but I got the relevant knowledge within the first year. After that it was all just about perfecting those things. And unless you take something super exotic, the basics are pretty similar.
>>
>>837984
Nigga, you're just scarred that you havn't trained the more advanced techniques enough because you started them later than you did the beginner techniques, and because they're more complex than the simpler techniques.
You train, you get good, end of story.

For example, a car is fucking dangerous. That shit can move fucking 30mph, and that thing has a shit ton of mass.
f=ma
Force equals mass multiplied by acceleration.
A care can fuck shit up, it's fucking heavy, and it can fucking go fast.
If people train to drive cars, they're not dangerous. People drive straight, turn, stop at lights, and nobody dies.
Somebody dies when the training of driving cars isn't sufficient for the situation at hand. If the person were a better driver, nobody would've died.

You train you get good, end of story.
>>
>>837984
Don't be a pussy.
>>
File: drop seio no gi.gif (1 MB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
drop seio no gi.gif
1 MB, 500x279
>>836082

Depends on location. Some areas have Judo, Boxing, etc clubs with a highly skilled and experienced instructors, lots of skilled training partners, and huge depth of competition in the area. Conversely, the 'mma' gyms were re-branded TMA mcdojos with a few guys half-assing shit they learned from videos.

Quality matters, and finding quality should be your first priority.
>>
>>834347
avoid it. check out bruce lee's book. he literally states in it that he did not think any style should be formalized (fancy dance moves/complex patterns). the Jeet Kun Do style does exactly what he did not want.

while they unfortunately are falling into the same trap, the MMA groups are probably the better approach for this.
>>
>>835350
you think that's expensive?

do yourself a favor and stay out of college.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.