[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
karate questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: kyokushin_kick.jpg (33 KB, 293x250) Image search: [Google]
kyokushin_kick.jpg
33 KB, 293x250
can someone explain to me why punches to the head arent allowed in kyokushin. it seems counter intuitive since they are allowed to wheel kick their opponent into the afterlife at their discretion but no punches
>>
>>819583
just like how there are no submissions and throws and kicks in boxing. Or no choking in sambo or leglocks in BJJ, just part of the sport rules. But depending on the schools still taught as part of the art's curriculum. Every art has weird sports rules
>>
>>819593
>just like how there are no submissions and throws and kicks in boxing.
There're no hammer fists, backhands, knife hand strikes, ridge hand strikes, elbows, finger-tip strikes, knees, or head butts.
>>
>>819583
They REALLY like the idea of going barehanded. At some point there was some choice between keeping punches to the head and getting gloves, or changing competition rules to no head punches so they can keep the bareknuckle thing going. I think there were people trying to have competitions with gloves so that they could headpunch or something like that. Don't know what ever happened with that.
>>
>>819583
>>819593
>>819629
Last guy you are right

It's about realism - IRL, you don't want to risk your hands for the rest of your life for one fight. Esp when body punches have major advantages bare knuckle.
>>
>>819644
Yep. Them not head punching isn't inherently bad, the main issues is that since they don't aim for it, they don't have the experience defending from it, which is important since every "da streetz" fag headhunts like hell. On streetfight videoes, when there's no grappling, people really want to get that glorious
>knockout punch
>>
>>819677
There was some YouTube link of two big guys doing some bare knuckle boxing.
If I recall correctly, there was a lack of headshots, presumable because they knew they'd fuck up their hands by head hunting blindly.
>>
>>819629
>I think there were people trying to have competitions with gloves so that they could headpunch or something like that. Don't know what ever happened with that.

They have that. It's called K2 or "gloved Karate".

There's also a rule set that allows head punches with smaller hand protectors and head gear.
>>
>>819583
No gloves means more likely to fuck up your knuckles and open up their face.
>>
>>819583

In my Dojo there's an asian guy who trained at a place where they did "old school Kyokushin" with bare knuckle head punches. It was interesting but pretty tough and he didn't stay long enough to get on the free sparring level where he would have got his nose broken (like 100 % of the higher level fighters there).

But on a sidenote, most Kyokushin Dojos I know train at least with MMA gloves and light padding, due to the mere fact that you don't want accidents all the time and issurance reasons. Nevertheless you get prepared for fighting without protection eventually (tournaments for higher Kyu grades).

>>819677

>Them not head punching isn't inherently bad, the main issues is that since they don't aim for it, they don't have the experience defending from it, which is important

Absolutely.

But we mustn't forget that Kyokushin was founded by a guy who already was proficient at (western) Boxing and Judo. I always thought that Kyokushin should be crosstrained with boxing, I mean even the Thai Boxers cross train in Boxing to polish their striking skills, so why shouldn't Karate guys?
>>
>>820063
>"old school Kyokushin" with bare knuckle head punches
m8 "old school kyokushin" is no head punches. It was fucking Mas Oyama, the founder, who instituted no head punches
>>
File: Orly.gif (122 KB, 450x325) Image search: [Google]
Orly.gif
122 KB, 450x325
>>820227

>" in the days of Oyama Dojo and in the early days of Kyokushinkaikan, punches to face and kicks to the groin were commonplace in dojo kumite. One early uchi deshi of Kancho Royama, Shihan Okazaki, told this week how when he was one of the first uchi deshi under Kancho Royama it was his job to pick up teeth during dojo kumite so that they would not be lost."

Source:
>https://toriwaerts.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/kyokushin-with-legal-head-punches-deel-2/

>"Those early students of Oyama Dojo (preceding the founding of the Kyokushinkaikan), and of early days at the Kyokushinkaikan, practiced full-contact kumite in the dojo in which punches to the head and groin (and grabbing and throwing) were all legal. This means that the Japanese fighters of the earliest Kyokushin tournaments fought with face/head punches in the dojo, and only limited their strikes to body blows at the tournaments. These fighters, therefore, knew how to defend their faces from punches. Those reflexes were well developed."

Source:
>http://www.kyokushinkan.org/en/?page_id=858
>>
>>820227
Because he saw how fucked up everyone was getting.
>>
>>820236
Maaaaan, that pic takes me back
>>
>>819629
Why are you allowed to kick to the head but not punch to the head ?
>>
>>820758
Because it's extremely easy to punch the head and cause noticeable injuries either to your opponent or to your own hands, since they're not exactly terribly good weapons no matter how much you train them due to simple structural reasons. Kicks hit harder but they're much easier to avoid and you you need to work for them, since the Kyokushin meta involves making sure you're chest to chest to avoid getting kicked in the face.
>>
>>819593
>>819629
>>819644
>>819677
>>819917
>>820063
>>820236
thank you anons, this was very informative
>>
>>820809
OP is a faggot.
>>
>>820848
no u
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.