[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Might be joining the navy soon, /asp/ies Will the navy allow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
Might be joining the navy soon, /asp/ies
Will the navy allow me to continue my martial arts training? Do they have clubs on board their ships?
>>
>>815466
Almost certainly. Talk to your recruiter. They'll be twice as interested if you're good enough to compete.

Clubs on ships highly unlikely but you won't have time anyway. Life at sea is pretty 24/7 even on a well crewed ship. You won't be on ships all that often.
>>
>>815466
you will probably get in fights depending on what you want maybe a lot of fights, so that will help?
>>
>>815473
>>815473
Do you know what they offer? I have experience in boxing/Muay thai and a 1st dan in tkd. Just started doing judo not that long ago. I'll take just about anything they'd offer
>>
>>815531
I'm not in the US but every military in the world does at least extra curricular Boxing and Judo.

That said it's much the same as anywhere else really if you or someone else has the chops and the will they'll usually let you set up a club.
>>
>>815558
Bruh i'd be down for learning fencing on a ship. Thanks though, I was just worried because martial arts are my stress relievers.
>>
Former Sailor here.

Just hope you get shore duty on your first two years (minus schooling). Highly unlikely you will find any type of Martial Arts clubs.
>>
File: 1384001097467.jpg (204 KB, 800x960) Image search: [Google]
1384001097467.jpg
204 KB, 800x960
>>815466

Former Naval Officer

There is a gym on every shore establishment and on most vessels. Even small vessels like patrol boats have a work out area. Fat ships (carriers, docks, suppliers) have the best gyms.

There aren't martial arts clubs but many PTIs have completed H2H courses and they love boxercise. Boarders get H2H training, but it's nothing special. You will learn about small arms, disarms, crowd control, batons etc. Just don't expect to use your training. One of my sailor officer changeover friends had over 62 boardings without incident.

When you are at sea there isn't much opportunity to train. I hit the bag and did some strength training every second day and played around with some martial arts with willing participants, but you need to remember there is limited space and you are surrounded by metal bulkheads with pipes and pointy bits everywhere.

Shore is great because most bases are in cities with martial arts clubs. When i was in i would usually do about six months of martial arts training, then do about 6 months of training by myself at sea.

You should expect about 50/50 time between shore and sea, but it depends on your ship or situation. I've been 'at sea' for 4 months but didn't leave the Wharf once. I've also been in situations like 'weekly runnings' where i was at sea during the week but came back to shore on the weekends. It's all situational.

Best posting was with a special forces group though. PT training during working hours and most of the operators had MT experience. We couldn't spar during working hours (workplace health and safety), but we could do stuff after work.

In my experience military doesn't cater to martial arts (any branch), but it does cater to physical fitness and personal free time in which a member can pursue hobbies like martial arts.

I got more martial arts training as a civilian, but i had better fitness in the Navy.

It's a fun job, i wouldn't worry too much about your MA - it'll work out.
>>
>>816083
Do you ever stop making up retarded shit?
>>
>>816119

Everything he said is very accurate.

I'm guessing he was stationed on the big boat because of all the equipments he mentioned? I was on a DDG and had very limited space for a gym. There was a maximum of 5 per person inside the aft gym when I was a sailor.
>>
>>815466
My brother has boxing, judo, MT, TKD, BJJ, and JJJ at his navy base
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.