[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /judo/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: jigoro kano.jpg (73 KB, 450x740) Image search: [Google]
jigoro kano.jpg
73 KB, 450x740
Who /judo/ here?
>>
>>814847
I do, do you do OP?
>>
>>814848
Yes... Been on it for 5 years... Stoped one year because of university but now i'm back to it!
>>
>>814847
I did judo, had to quit because of work. I am thinking of getting back in, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't defect to BJJ. two reasons, one I am a little older now, and newaza is a little easier on the knees, and second, I like the traditional aspects of judo but hate the new rules they've been adding
>>
File: left sided lapel grip seoi.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
left sided lapel grip seoi.gif
2 MB, 360x202
>>814851
Cool. whats your tokui waza? Been doing for quite awhile myself nidan.
>>
>>814855
>hate the new rules they've been adding
me too... this new rules are shit.

I practiced aikido for 1 year and it was a great experience and i encourage people that practice judo to try it... I also tried to get more mass via gym but i hated it...
>>
>>814855
The new rules don't really effect you. Think of this way the rules have been in use for the last 5 years. None of the top players have dropped out. Hell they still figure ways around the rules to do their moves. Or have used the deep moveset of judo and come up with new variants and combos.

Just cause like maybe 3 or 4 throws and a few variants are ban (and there's strong word that the ban might be lifted in the next few years) doesn't mean the thousands of other moves aren't good to learn.

Worry about learning some of the basics before worrying about rules that effect meta games and tactics that aren't part of your focus in growth.
>>
>>814857
Since i'm kinda tall, my favourite techniques are the osotogari, taetoshi, hiza-guruma, koshi-guruma and ogoshi...

I'm not a fan of ippon-soronage tough
>>
>>814864
I also dont like their rule about other combat sports. Your right that it didn't effect me much. (though i was at the type of club that taught nothing but Olympic judo an stopped teaching any of the "banned moves" unless you asked)

Like I said I'm still thinking and if I jump ship its to a related art like bjj, I don't like how they tend not to start from standing and have done away with the traditional stuff but at the very least they have a very solid system
>>
judoka anon checking in
>>
File: no leg kata gurama.gif (768 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
no leg kata gurama.gif
768 KB, 360x360
>>814882
BJJ is a good system and i recommend learning it too, but all combat styles have different rules and bans.

Judo has ban on leg grabs and leg locks.
But BJJ also has its ban on several leglocks till higher rank. Same could be said with sambo with its ban against choking. Different rules but all 3 styles provide valuable technique.

I think the original post of yours was asking was "____" still worth it, or should you jump ship to another style. I'll say this all of them are, If you have the oppurnitiy to learn good judo do it. Not saying you shouldn't do BJJ but the excuse of rule sets or ban moves shouldnt deter or prevent you from learning good technique from a good style specially early on in your developmental phase of learning.
>>
>>814887
The other thing is my local judo club isnt that great. and the price is ridiculous for judo. there are a few other clubs in the area I could try though. IN any case I still have the job so my practice time would be limited by hey, I'm not getting any younger and some is better than none. I just want to get the best bang for my buck
>>
File: kouchi makikomi.gif (1 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
kouchi makikomi.gif
1 MB, 360x202
>>814893
well when it comes to money you gotta do what you think is best. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>814858
Tell me more about aikido. My uni offers it and im thinking of switching from bjj to it just because it's free and I like the philosophy
>>
File: choi te gurama.gif (3 MB, 300x166) Image search: [Google]
choi te gurama.gif
3 MB, 300x166
>>
>>814942
Aikido is shit. just stick with the bjj
>>
>>814893
You keep coming up with more reasons not to do it every time your previous reason gets shut down.
>but..
>but...
>but....

It sounds like you don't want to do it but are to pussy to just say it so you need someone from /asp/ to be the one to tell you no. Just make up your own mind and do what you want.
>>
>>814971
Yeah probs will
>>
>>814942
I talked to a guy who did it for like 5+ years and he said that majority of the technique only works because of a compliant uke. And for anything to actually work they need to be attacking you or be gripped in a really specific way that doesn't doesn't translate into practicality whatsoever.

However, my uncle does it because he likes the philosophy and teachings and mindset of it.

So if you want a practical MA, keep BJJ.
But if you like the philosophy, and you have the time, i don't see why it could hurt to pick up as well because it's free
>>
>>815282
That guy is shit at judo and you're gullible for believing him
>>
>>814864

Nevertheless it's a shame that Judo has this problems with leg grabbing.

>>815298

He was talking about Aikido, dude..
>>
>>815298
Retard
>>
Graded into orange belt tonight. That might seem small to some people but I'm so fucking proud right now. I love judo!
>>
>>816449

It's not small. So many guys quit at white belt level..

When I got my yellow belt (7th Kyu) I felt like a King!
:-)
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.