[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you grab the gi by default in judo? I am interested in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: nu-ijf1.jpg (57 KB, 336x493) Image search: [Google]
nu-ijf1.jpg
57 KB, 336x493
Why do you grab the gi by default in judo?
I am interested in the reasoning behind that.

Is it just tradition or something? Is it more convenient/safer than grabbing, for example, neck and wrist?
>>
>>813722
I believe it was adapted for safety, though in the earliest period of judo a gi top was still a common thing to wear
>>
What throws would work where the opponent/attacker isn't wearing a gi?
>>
>>813738
Pretty much all of them.

The only things I can see being a pain are tomoe nage, morote seoi nage and maybe seoi nage.
>>
>>813759
Would throws work if you gripped your opponent's skin like a gi?
>>
>>813767

Do you really think you're going to get a solid grip by pinching someone?
>>
>>813722
because rules
>>
File: ashi guruma.gif (585 KB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
ashi guruma.gif
585 KB, 360x202
>>813780

Non gi grips were never popular, even in times when they were legal.

A gi grip gives you a solid handle on your opponent that can be used to drag, push, throw, manipulate, choke, immobilize, etc. It's almost always superior to any non-gi grip.

Switching to underhooks or whatever work well in some situations, but the bread and butter of your gripping strategy should be with gi grips. It's stupid not to use them.
>>
>>813738

>What throws would work where the opponent/attacker isn't wearing a gi?

Have some inspiration:

http://judo4mma.com/index.htm?mmathrows.php?&2

>>813759

I have done some No-Gi, but mostly for fun, not in real matches. My experience is:

>tomoe nage

Just grab both wrists, if the other guy is pushing it works. Maybe not against a good grappler (because you can break a single grip on the wrist pretty easy), but if the other guy is rushin in and already half off balance it works.

>morote seoi nage and maybe seoi nage.

Seoi Nage works very well, one hand grabs the ellbow, the other one either jams the arm or reaches over the shoulder (from behind), you have a very stable grip from this position.

Morote.. I don't know how to properly "translate" in into No-Gi, but if you grip the ellbow with your left and load the other guy on your right ellbow..? Gonna have to try this one..
>>
>>813722
>Why do you grab the gi by default in judo?
its the strongest grip.

the neck is too wide and the wrists can be slippery . judo lapel and sleeves and belt are much easier to hold
>>
>>813722

You've got to grab something, and the gi allows you to feel what your opponent is doing, and allows you to off balance them for throws.
>>
File: soccer.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
soccer.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
>>813722
Because they learned the trick from football players? How can you not know this?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.