[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to learn a martial art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: BJJ.jpg (1 MB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
BJJ.jpg
1 MB, 1280x854
I'm 5'6" and skinny/weak. For defence purposes what is the best martial art I should learn.
>>
File: image.gif (100 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
100 KB, 200x200
>I'm 5'6
>>
>>807267
Yes, yes I am.
>>
>>807266
just learn how to run properly.
>>
>>807266
just learn how to punch really hard.

you are short enough that most assailants have their balls hanging right in punch height for you.
>>
>>807266
As your pic already stated, judo is good, because your low center will be an advatage.

Also, being lower you'll have an easier time putting on mass, generally speaking, so no worries about being skinny.

There are basically NO marts that are precluded to you, but judo basically gives you an advantage with being lower.

but obviously, as usual, OP didn't say what he wants it for, or what he's intertested in
Op is always a faggot. sigh
>>
>>807302
self defence and fitness

ive stopped going out cuz i just finished high school and i stopped running and other activities so i just need a hobby almost

self defence is main reason
>>
>>807304
BJJ is a big no for self defense, because friendship is the greatest MA.

Judo is quite good, if you like it.
Boxing is literally for everybody that likes it, no matter the height.
If you're in for a hobby, TMAs are lots of fun and more than just sports, as long as you can get some alive training/sparring, and will keep you engaged for a longer time, IF that's your thing.
If you live in an are where you DO fear a knife/weapon attack (most people don't) pick something that defends specifically against those things (eg. krav maga)
Self defense courses are good for self defense, but not great for fitness. But a simple program like Start Bodyweight will get you stronger/bigger at the hefty price of 0$

BUT, as always, it all boils down to what is available where you live and what you dig most.
>>
>>807312

thanks

this exactly what i needed to hear
>>
>>807314
You're welcome mate
>>
What about a 6'3" guy that's skinny and weak? My center of gravity is practically in my throat.

I was thinking Muay-Thai for stand-up, but what do I take, grappling-wise? Which should I start with?
>>
>>807358
desu going on /fit/ and begin lifting weights will produce better results short term for the next 3+ years
>>
>>807312
Do you even know any martial arts or do you just regurgitate the stupid shit that people say on here?
>>
>>807387
Do you ever contribute anything to a thread or do you just criticize those who do and shitpost?
>>
>>807363
Yeah, that's the plan. I wanted to do both, though.
>>
>>807266
When will they learn?
>>
>>807266

Hundred yard dash.
>>
>>807266
is gun a martial art?
>>
>>807358
>but what do I take, grappling-wise?
Just do Sanda/Sanshou. It's good kick boxing and standup grappling all in one.
>>
A concealed carry permit and a handgun you can shoot accurately and comfortably
>>
>>807266
Buying a gun and going to a firing range
It's a 200 year old ancient art called burgistsu
>>
File: o uchi gari.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
o uchi gari.gif
2 MB, 360x202
>>807915

Good, do both.

I'd suggest Judo, since I'm a Judo fanboy. Any decent, sparring style will be good, though. Boxing, Muay thai, BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, etc. Sambo and Catch are great if you can find them.

The thing about sparring is that it gives you decent feedback and allows you to tailor the skills you learn to your body type and 'fight personality'.
>>
File: tumblr_lt898nEHel1qfd9kzo1_500.jpg (52 KB, 466x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lt898nEHel1qfd9kzo1_500.jpg
52 KB, 466x700
If you want something actually effective, take up IPSC. Pic related.

But yeah, do judo.
Best martial art and best sport.
>>
Unironically Judo + something else (boxing, muay thai or Krav Maga).

Judo should be the basis of your fighting style, with the other style just as a supplement so you learn how to deal with attacks and close the distance so you can utilize your Judo techniques.
>>
>>807266
A lot of professional fighters in various martial arts are short. You really shouldn't be concerned at all when it comes to your height. A conceal carry gun is the best self defense, but if you can't get that, everyone already said judo is good and cheap to learn too. Learning some striking is always good too.
>>
File: defense-against-knife-11.jpg (88 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
defense-against-knife-11.jpg
88 KB, 300x300
Aikido, without a doubt.
>>
>>813660
you're just posting a judo move. never seen aikidofags make that move work. seen judofags use that move against people fighting back.
>>
>>807302
Judo does not give you an advantage for being lower anon. Certain moves are better if you are short, but certain moves are better if you are tall.
>>
>>813672
Aikido is literally just judo with all of the effectiveness taken out.

It's what judo would look like if judo was shit.
>>
>>813674
6'2" osoto/ouchi master race reporting in
>>
boxing/muay thai + bjj/judo/wrestling
>>
>>813674
5'6 judoka reporting. anon is correct
>certain moves
but judo is fun as hell, so i highly recommend it. and weights. because all the technique in the world wont help if your opponent can just ragdoll the shit out of you.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.