[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any climber here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: GOPR1501.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
GOPR1501.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2250
Hey, I didn't see any post about climbing so here we are :)
Post ice pics, why you love this and the most fearful, amazing moment you lived on awall :)
>>
one time i fell down the stairs does that count?
>>
Parkour & Climbing here.
>>
>>806840
Parkour thread here >>728912
>>
>>806648
Where do I find a good online intro to climbing /out/ with ropes and shit?
>>
>>806879
Go to a climbing wall and make some friends. It will take a tenth of the time.
>>
>>807029
I don't live near a climbing wall and I'm too autistic to make friends.
>>
>>807122
Parkour is starting to seem more like your thing.

See >>806878
>>
File: that's me.png (9 KB, 363x116) Image search: [Google]
that's me.png
9 KB, 363x116
>>807142
I used to be a traceur when I lived in the city, now I'm doing work out in the middle of nowhere and have fewer obstacle-dense training locations at my disposal. Climbing seemed like a good idea.
>>
File: DSC_0134.jpg (2 MB, 3920x2940) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0134.jpg
2 MB, 3920x2940
>>806648
dropped a guy 20meters when he was linking pitches and skipping bolts, had to rope solo the route the next day to rescue my gears.
>3rd degree rope burn
>rolled ankle
>called his GF for pity fuck as soon as he decked
MFW did he just fall on purpose on the walk off pitch for teh sex?
>>
File: 1443681283669.jpg (289 KB, 828x828) Image search: [Google]
1443681283669.jpg
289 KB, 828x828
>>807122
I'll be your friend and teach you anon. How far away from Delaware are you?

Also,
>I sprained my ankle about a week and a half ago. The goes my two v7 projects
>>
Planning a trip to Jtree this winter if any of you fellas wanna join me.
>>
File: IMG_20150703_144149.jpg (2 MB, 1836x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150703_144149.jpg
2 MB, 1836x1836
Ruptured a pulley and can't climb for 5 months. Sucks real bad senpai

Beem drinking my pain away and looking back through some old photos

>pic related: Me onsighting current favorite route
>>
>>810202
I'm about 3.5 hours northwest of Newark, DE.
>>
>>816329
I wasn't expecting you to be anywhere close but that's not too too far. We could always meet at Mt gretna since that's about halfway between us. Once my ankle heels that is

Also, it's kind of a hike, but there's a really tiny gym called spooky nook that's probably like 1.5 - 2 hours from you since you in upper west/central? Pa. I've only been there once, but I remember the grades being harder and closer to outdoor grades, for bouldering at least.
>>
>>807149
Bouldering. Just find some not too tall rocks that you can climb.

It's the fastest and easiest way to start climbing.
>>
>>816020
Nice toprope onsight
>>
>>817034
>on-sight: A clean ascent with no prior practice or beta

Just because someone set a top rope before I got there doesn't change the fact I walked up to it and climbed it without ever having seen it climbed before. Try hard faggots like you are what piss me off about the climbing community. Go back to jerking yourself off in your dirt bag van
>>
>>817269
100% does not count as on-sight with a tr. tryhard has nothing to do with it, commonly accepted definitions do. sorry your ego's so fragile you can't handle that.

but i feel ya on the injury front. just getting back in after 4 months off from a fucked up shoulder. lost a whole number grade. but that's okay-i just look at it though the lens that i increased the number of climbs that are challenging.
>>
>>806648
What are the common climbing injuries (shoulder and finger, probably?) and how do I avoid them once I start training?
>>
>>819179
don't overdo it, especially as a beginner (tendons strengthen slower than muscles, so you may have the power for a move, but your muscles won't have the attachment for the move).
if it hurts stop.
rest days
start with basic strength training. hangboards/campusboards are a great way to blow shit out until you've built up the strength for them.
>>
>>810202
Central NJ here, do you ever head up this way? (Gunks, Dacks etc.)
>>
>>820299
Not so much. I've only been outside a handful of times. My buddies and I planned a bouldering trip to the gunks and new river gorge last summer, but once September hit, they both stopped climbing because of things picking up at their jobs. Haven't seen them in months and still haven't been to either yet

I rarely get weekends off from work (I work in retail), but I'd be down to go with you if the chance arises
>>
>>806648
I'm just starting to learn about Rope Rescue with my fire department. What's the most compact climbing/rescue appropriate rope I could stash in a rescue bag? What are some good online resources for educating myself outside of the classroom? What kind of training can you guys turn me onto that would supplement the training I'll be doing with my department? Thanks.
>>
>>829454
darn that's a bummer. I work retail too but not full time. Quit yer job! Hopefully you live near a gym?
>>
>>831220
>>831220
ff and climber here

there isn't a rope that will serve both purposes. climbing rope is dynamic, which means it stretches up to about 33% under load, which is great for absorbing falls, but terrible for hauling systems. rescue rope is static, stretches <5%, which is great for hauling, but will literally kill you if you fall more than 10 feet on it.

for shitloads of rope training go take a laro class
>>
>>831698
>which is great for hauling, but will literally kill you if you fall more than 10 feet on it.
Well, shit. Is it probably not worth buying my own rescue rope, then? My little brother went and enlisted for some reason, so he offered to sell me most of his rope rescue kit: rescue 8, carabiner, half harness, and 150ft of rescue rope for $175.
>>
>>832435
what situation do you see yourself in where you could reasonable need the gear to rescue someone? when you're with your fd you'll use department gear, if you come across someone over an embankment while driving you won't have the manpower to perform a technical rescue.
>>
>>832563
Perhaps if I was on scene with some others before the rescue truck, but you bring up a good point: it's not going to be all that useful. I suspect I'll want climbing rope for both recreation and EMSing at people who are in shit situations before a full rescue crew shows up.
>>
>>833058
yep. if you want to start climbing your $175 is better spent towards proper climbing gear (shoes, harness, rope, anchor kit...) than gear that you buy for a scenario that will never occur (though i dig your enthusiasm).
>>
>>833058
oh, and if you love ropes and rescue, seriously look into a laro (low angle rescue operations) class. i have a cousin who's a total rope and rescue geek, and he spent the whole class with a 3 foot boner.
>>
>>831572
I work part time too, but the way they have it set up I'm like working small shifts, but like every day almost. I'm hoping to leave and get a real job soon though

And yeah, I live like 15 minutes from the DRG so I try to go 2-3 times a week. I boulder mainly since my friends who knew sport belaying stopped coming. That and I like boulder more. I'm trying to convince my other friend I boulder with to take the top rope class at least
>>
>>817269
rofl, dude you're the one bragging about your onsight when you did it on toprope. Just say "tried a route on toprope, was really fun" instead of trying to spray about an onsight when it wasn't.

https://youtu.be/bsAiOYXC-k0
>>
>>833153
I'm actually in a similar boat, my coworkers and I all started climbing together but now most of them stopped so I Boulder by myself mostly.

I work at REI in NJ but I'll be down at the Christiana store in Jan for a couple days. Would be cool to check out that gym
>>
>>833459
How is REI to work for? What's their pay scale like?
>>
Picture I snapped from several years ago on the way back to the car. Mt Arrowsmith, Vancouver Island.

Nothing really crazy scary or amazing for me yet while climbing. Several times mountaineering alone where I've had to concioussly rest and gather my thoughts before going on.
>>
>>833585

The first day I ever high balled I quickly learned to never high ball again. I was navigating a boulder and couldnt find a hold to top out and eventually lost grip. I was lucky and landed on my feet rolling to my ass and arms. Another climber watched in disbelief that I was unharmed.

Had a friend high balling above me when a hold broke off and he landed on the sand below. He was concussed and had some minor cuts.
>>
>>833103
Should I find a gym first and figure out my kit from there, or are there things I'm going to need right off the bat?

>>833107
Will do, thanks.
>>
>>833459
Dude, let me know when you come by. I'll try to make it that day and we can boulder or belay each other

Also like the another anon said, how is working at REI? I work at Staples and thought about quitting and going there when they opened, but I decided to stick it out until I can find a legit job
>>
>>833625
>>833475
Working for REI is hit or miss. Pros: usually cool coworkers, meet lots of outdoorsy folks to go out with
Pro deals on nearly every brand you can imagine
Work can be fun when you're helping legit /out/ customers, we get mostly suburbanites at our store.
REI starts their sales people at 10.50 an hour which is barely decent especially given the tremendous amount of product knowledge you need to know

Cons: selling memberships.
Selling memberships is all your managers will want you to do. If you're not selling memberships you'll have managers breathing down your neck and making your life miserable, not to mention you'll get your hours cut probably. It's not hard to do but I feel like a phony asshole being a membership shill for REI. I'm not your typical REI employee, if you can drink the corporate koolade or at least pretend to, you'll probably have a good time.

Of course I hate working there but them prodeals mang, and a couple friends who make working together fun
>>
>>833619
if you haven't already been i recommend going climbing using rental gear a few times to make sure you actually like it enough to invest in, and make sure you have a friend or two who likes it enough that you'll usually be able to round up a partner. then i'd go membership->shoes->harness/atc/chalkbag. rope and additional hardware can wait til you're ready to head outside. best is to make friends with someone with the gear and knowledge to take you outside and learn what to do and what you need there. but don't put off going outside until you're "good enough". find someone who can take you and get on it, even if it just a tr day at the local crag. those days can be some of the best.
>>
File: 1449433623992.jpg (240 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1449433623992.jpg
240 KB, 2048x1365
I used to free solo a lot a few years back, but quit after a nasty fall. I want to face my fears and get back into it this spring. How can I best prepare myself for the season? Any exercises to strengthen tendons and stuff? I'm mediocre strong now, not like I used to be. If anyone have a training program or something I would be deeply greatful. Planning on working out through winter to prepare.
>>
>>834307
>how to face fears of free soloing

I don't know, maybe climb with a fucking rope you mong
>>
>>834319
I asked for training advice, you fuckmuppet, not your opinion on free solo or facing fears.
>>
>>834307
Yes, I have several programs. Depending on your background and goals, I could recommend one for you
>>
>>834433
Thanks man. My background, especially the last few years, has been in cardio, long distance running and orienteering. Most of the upper body strenght I had when climbing has gone. Have also had health problems and had very low bodyweight the last three years, and I'm not sure if that affects tendons and makes me more prone to injuries and stuff. My goals are to to manage medium risk routes by summer and to be able to climb everyday without muscle fatigue and strain-injuries. You know any programs to get me there?
>>
has the climbing general disappeared after the wwe fags moved in or something?
>>
>>835463
yeah. they bombed it (and every other non-rasslin' thread here) past the bump limit when they first got booted from /sp/. like that would prove they're not faggots. fortunately that seems to have slowed down and real alternative sports' threads that aren't scripted tv shows have begun to resurface.
>>
>>834452
Sorry for slow answer

If you once had decent upper body strength, it will be easier for you to obtain your old levels of strength, as opposed to someone who starts from scratch. I also don't think your periods of low body weight will have damaged your tendons, unless you were severly malnourished (for example anorexia)

Climbing (sport climbing) has been described as a sport that requires a near perfect balance of the 3 different skill types: physical-, mental- and technical skills. You have to focus on all these 3 skills to get a better climber. I'm not sure how to train mental skills for free soloing, as I rarely do it myself, so that you have to figure out yourself.

Physical training (strength)

- Hangboard training (do the repeater protocol - google it). Usually takes over 4 weeks before you start to get real gains
- Bouldering. Bouldering will get you strong. Climb on challanging routes, but avoid holds that feel tweaky for your fingers and other joints.
- Recruitement. To train powerful moves, use the campus board, or boulder on power routes
- Endurance. Climb with pump, without falling off the wall.
- Treat your physical training as a phase, and do this 3 times a week, for 6-8 weeks. Don't train reqruitement on the same days as endurance or hangboard/bouldering
- Also try to split this phase (i.e first 5-6 weeks strength, next 2-3 weeks endurance

Technique training

- My best excercise for this is the silent feet drill. Traverse on the bouldering wall, or and outdoor wall for 10-15 minutes and concentrate on not making a sound as you place your feet. I do this drill as a warm up on all my training days.
- Roped climbing, with focus on technique. Find a route you could not finish the first time. Climb it over and over again, perfecting your technique for every climb.

I could write a lot more, but these are the most important subjects on training for climbing in my opinion. Just ask if you want to know more
>>
>>836088
Thanks, man. This is awesome.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.