[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boxing VS Muay Thai. Just wondering between the two different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 22
File: muaythai_boxing.jpg (20 KB, 265x266) Image search: [Google]
muaythai_boxing.jpg
20 KB, 265x266
Boxing VS Muay Thai.

Just wondering between the two different striking techniques, the differences between them. Any boxers/nay muay care to share the differences.
>>
dont worry about the thai variant, muay thai is really just a marketing term now that gyms use. regular old western style kickboxing is what you will learn in 99% of the places that say muay thai. Unless you see guys running around in booty shorts they aren't doing thai boxing.
second, kickboxing is objectively better than boxing. Boxing is optimized to defend your hand distance and protect the upper body. Kickboxing is designed to optimize your hand and leg distance, and protect your entire body. The only world in which a boxer have an advantage over a kickboxer is if you explicitly said to the kickboxer they had to fight strictly under boxing rules.
boxing has better head movement skills maybe since it forces you to get so close up, kickboxing on the other hand will keep your head out of the danger zone to begin with.
>>
>>780037
Don't listen to this moron, Muay Thai uses knees, elbows and some grappling, American Kickboxing does not allow this.

If you're looking to kick the shit out of people go with Muay Thai, if you want to get brain damage from all the headshots do boxing. Up to you faggot.
>>
>>780037
Although what he said about kickboxers annihilating regular boxers is true. Although Muay Thai would teach you to clinch into a boxer and as he fucks around trying to get out of the clinch you can knee the fuck out of his abdomen and chest.
>>
File: dude, that's my leg.webm (3 MB, 640x368) Image search: [Google]
dude, that's my leg.webm
3 MB, 640x368
>>780045
>you can knee the fuck out of his abdomen and chest.
Don't forget about how you can knee his legs; it's kind of hard to fight when you can't stand.
>>
>>780043
I challenge you to find me one kickboxing gym that doesn't teach elbows and knees and shit

save your effort, you cant.
I cant stand retards like you who think those things are somehow proprietary to thai boxing
>>
>>780079
But most kickboxing gym don't teach clinch fighting and sweeps. So what are you trying to imply here
>>
>>780101
except they do you moron
>>
>>780101
Anon, I think Anon is implying that you're a moron.
>>780123
>>
>>780061
>that gif

what the fuck why did it do that?
>>
>>780140
>gif
>>
>>780061
holy shit those things really give no fucks.
>>
>>780037
http://mmaversus.com/2015/06/14/cain-velasquez-vs-fabricio-werdum-fight-video-ufc-188/

I was watching this fight right now and all this anon says makes sense, this is a good example of muay thai vs kickboxing
>>
File: damn nature - cat and fish.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
damn nature - cat and fish.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>780210
>>
File: cat and fish.png (313 KB, 410x375) Image search: [Google]
cat and fish.png
313 KB, 410x375
>>780210
>>780263
>>
>>780140
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUPCB9533Y
>>
File: 1443960154109.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1443960154109.webm
3 MB, 640x360
So this is now animals getting rekt thread?
>>
File: vicious dogs maul mother.webm (3 MB, 704x394) Image search: [Google]
vicious dogs maul mother.webm
3 MB, 704x394
>>
Boxing > kick boxing
No contest
>>
File: cats.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
cats.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>>
>>780285
YOU CUNT, why would post this?
>>
File: 1448088677819.gif (1 MB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
1448088677819.gif
1 MB, 260x146
>>
>>780285
MODS!
>>
File: wnIaRyJ.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
wnIaRyJ.gif
133 KB, 311x366
Pls, stop talking about how to annihilate boxers, is very rude.
>>
>>780032
as a golden gloves boxer .. who trains in muay thai... the styles are different ... muay thai the weight is rested on the back leg as opposed to the front in boxing... Muay Thai you should not weave punches due to catching knees to the face... also 99% of thai fighters who started out thai in instead of boxing ... have shitty hands...
>>
Been doing kickboxing for about 3 months now, and we've trained knees every lesson, however i can probably count on one hand how many times we've trained elbows. Never done much clinch training either.

How difficult is it to switch from kick boxing to muay thai?
>>
>>781200
Easier to switch than from Boxing to Muay Thai.
>>
>>782136
do you mean it's easy to switch from kickboxing to muay thai than vice versa?
>>
>>781200
muay thai is a form of kickboxing. you wouldnt be at all lost
>>
>>780764
there is no need...to use ellipses...when regular old periods...will work just...fine
>>
>>781200
that's probably because normal kickboxing training doesn't involve elbows.
>>
>>780037
>this reflects the ideal world, but not the truth

Boxing relies on superior speed, hand/eye coordination and reflexes,
Every punch is aimed at a specific place and you are taught combinations which become wholly ingrained in you, lest you fail to cover the basics of boxing.

You are taught to read the opponents movements and slip/duck/weave and counter accordingly,

All this at the highest pace available to a fighting human, a fist is faster than a foot.

Not to mention you must master your reach / grow accustomed to the distance at which you can fight with your hands.

The 'con' of boxing being fought with its hands (as mentioned in >>780037) is the very reason it is so effective.

A seasoned boxer is trained to such a high level in fundamental martial arts skills that they can usually take most other fighters and the gap they lack can often be made up with basic techniques developed from a limited time training in Muay Thai and Judo.

Granted a boxer may need to adjust to fighting with, not just on his feet, against a Mixed Martial Artist, kickboxer or Karateka, but even so, the boxer usually has the advantage in economy of motionb, skill, coordination, power, speed and most importantly, reflexes.

Boxing teaches skills that supplement EVERY other style and anyone not supplementing their other training styles with it is a fool.
>>
>>782821
I'd agree with a more mild version of this opinion. A world class kickboxer would beat a world class boxer, but if the boxer learned kickboxing, they'd do much better at it than the kickboxer would do if they picked up boxing.
>>
>>783134
>but if the boxer learned kickboxing, they'd do much better
If the boxer got good at kickboxing.
>>
>>783134
lol no
>>
File: 1.png (239 KB, 434x409) Image search: [Google]
1.png
239 KB, 434x409
cant decide to train boxing or muay thai. im leaning toward boxing because theres a close place thats cheap and is great for beginners and even intermediates. $100 start up, and $45 a month.

the muay thai place is this:
http://www.team-toro.com/schedule-and-fees/
does it look any good? $140 per month, dont know the quality but it looks solid. im leaning heavily toward boxing but i wanted to learn muay thai years down the road after i learn judo and im reading that it's super hard to go from boxing to muay thai...but money is an issue and boxing is just cool anyway. im 21, can i git gud? i know i wouldnt be able to compete professionally but could i do decent as an amateur?
>>
Remember to report off topic threads that aren't related to WWE
>>
>>782821

Pretty much this.

Lowkicks never bring people down in an actual fight with adrenaline involved unless the other guy is a total untrained noob. Matter of fact in a messy environment the low kicks connects at the same time the fist connects with the face, if the boxer is good at using angles you might even miss with the kick..

IMHO a classy boxer with a month of learning how to defend kicks would easily tear apart a Muay Thai guy with a month of additional boxing..

>inb4 "b-but I'm an amazing powerkicker who drops people with the first kick.."

>>788771

Go to both places and look where the people are nicer. But you really can't go wrong with boxing.
>>
>>788818
I'll report your mom for being adulterous and slutty
>>
>>783134
He's right for a begginer. Using hands is 70% of fighting. Mastering it is the crucial point of any good fighter and other skills, like grappling, kicking, special techniques ect.. are less important.
Kickboxing is superior to boxing but boxers are usually and ironically superior to kickboxers because they know less so they can focus on it.
>>
>>780079
>I challenge you to find me one kickboxing gym that doesn't teach elbows and knees and shit
I've been to them. Because they actually teach American Kickboxing.
>>
File: 1448301273377.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1448301273377.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>788771
>im 21, can i git gud?
Yes.

>>789189
>Lowkicks never bring people down in an actual fight with adrenaline involved unless the other guy is a total untrained noob.
lol no what a dumbass.
>>780559
>>
>>789189
>>inb4 "b-but I'm an amazing powerkicker who drops people with the first kick.."
You must be new here.
>>
>>789280
Okay but make sure to report this thread while doing that
>>
>>780032
muay thai has a narrower stance, because it allows you to check low kicks better and like another anon said they sometimes like to have more weight on the rear foot. but a 50/50 stance is pretty common too.

boxers really sit into their punches. they generate much power with that. in muay thai you have those low kicks that can wreck your shit if you get hit while you sit into the punch. so thaiboxers tend to be careful with that.

i think in muay thai a spinning back fist is allowed, while you can't do that in boxing.

the use of ellbows and of knees makes the clinch a viable option to actually beat the shit out of someone in muay thai.

the strongest (and only) weapons in boxing are punches, so boxers tend to focus more on defending their center line. the strongest hit a thai fighter can deal out is the roundhouse. it's like a baseball bat that hits your head, your torso, or your legs from the side. so a muay thai fighters guard is more open to be able to defend against the hits from the side. some are more open, some are less, it varies like in boxing, but in general i'd say they are more open.

while muay thai and boxing seem to be extremely different, many champion thaiboxers trained in boxing, which was important for their success. (in my muay thai gym we beginners often just box in sparring. no kicks, no knees, no ellbows, just pure boxing. that's how important my trainer sees proper boxing for good muay thai)

the thai fighters adopted punching thechniques like the hook, uppercut, jab, straight, cross, shovel hook, etc. from english boxing.

that list is jus off the top of my head
>>
>>789845
>i think in muay thai a spinning back fist is allowed
Yes, it's allowed.

>while you can't do that in boxing
Correct.
>>
>>789845
educated opinion on /asp/ ? Wtf mate, do you want to be reported ?

>MT is superior in any way because it's asian. No boxing whatsoever has been used by any MT practicioner ever, because it's using only hands.

this argument wins everything and is designed for this board.
>>
>>789613
you don't kick nearly as hard as any of those professionals. and plus for self defense your not gonna be fighting someone alot bigger than you who can take alot of your shitty leg kicks.
>>
>>790056
Whatever you say, kid.
>>
File: sukima076901.png (305 KB, 499x383) Image search: [Google]
sukima076901.png
305 KB, 499x383
>>790056
>for self defense your not gonna be fighting someone alot bigger than you
wat
>>
>>789189
haha this is why i like to start fights with kicks

i wanna see this 'boxing prophet' take a back spinning heel right in the solar plexus, lets see how will he react
>>
>>780764
This is true. Thai boxers mainly use hands for distance, defense, and positioning. Their offense comes from legs mostly.
>>
File: spirit-of-taekwondo-o.gif (532 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
spirit-of-taekwondo-o.gif
532 KB, 320x240
>>780764
>also 99% of thai fighters who started out thai in instead of boxing ... have shitty hands...
And Muay both Boxers and Muay Thai fighters have shitty legs.
You guys don't come close to the masterful kicking of Taekwondo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNoGhdhKyw
>>
>>790294
that was a typo
>>
>>790653
you will probably miss your fancy kung fu kick and wake up with some teeth missing.
>>
>>790075
> Whatever you say, kid.
>>
File: You.jpg (7 KB, 187x270) Image search: [Google]
You.jpg
7 KB, 187x270
>>790075
>>
>>791018
fuck off weeb
>>
>>790056
Why in the world would you take a martial art solely for the purpose of getting into an "epic street fight"? Seriously, who in their right mind who devote time and energy to preparing for an imaginary event that probably will never happen in the lives of the mostly white, upper middle class college students who inhabit this site? Even if you live in Ghettoland, no martial art is going to save you from the reckless violence that accompanies a vicious cycle of poverty and destitution. You're better off devoting time and resources towards upware class mobility and education rather than learning to fight off non-existant bullies. Train because it is good in and of itself. Fight because you love it. It will give you nothing applicable in this world outside of simple satisfaction.
>>
File: giphy.gif (836 KB, 500x206) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
836 KB, 500x206
>>791271
Maybe they want to be Batman.
>>
>>780263
>>780266
Fun fact: The distance between tigers canines is about equal to the distance between alligators/Crocodiles eyes so they can sink them into their brains.
>>
>>780043
>Up to you faggot

Oh my god, get a load of this guy hahahaha
>>
train UFC.
>>
>>780032
Well muay thai can kick
>>
>>791206
>tkd
>weeb
I swear, after the name change this board has moments as fucking stupid as /x/
>>
File: Boon-Muay-Thai-Shorts.jpg (102 KB, 661x354) Image search: [Google]
Boon-Muay-Thai-Shorts.jpg
102 KB, 661x354
>start muay thai
>excited buy online a cool thai-style pair of shorts
>2nd time in class
>most of the people wear boxing shorts or adidas plain shorts

is there any muay thai rule that I should wait and have to earn to wear a colorful thai pair of shorts?
will I look like a faggot if I wear the colorful thai shorts with the thai lettering as a newbie?
>>
>>792645
Just wear it. It's alright. But leave it at that, don't get some thai armbands or a headband.
>>
>>792657
You are semi-trolling me. I think the armbands and headband is only for fights.
>>
I've been doing MT for two years now and still wear random sports shorts. A lot of people at my gym wear MT shorts even though they're worse than me and have been training for less than a year.

My trainer is Thai and he barely speaks English, so I'm not sure whether he actually gives permission or whether he doesn't give a fuck.
>>
File: 216810.png (212 KB, 2804x1472) Image search: [Google]
216810.png
212 KB, 2804x1472
>>792679
i will ask one of the trainers next time to make sure. I will feel better and get in muay thai mode when i wear the proper thing.
i am an edgy faggot but i do care for appearances, colors, stories behind the equipment we use. It pumps me up.
Other dudes don't give a damn about the novelties.
>>
>>792686
I wore muay thai shorts because any other shorts would tear and split. Idk whether you have this problem and muay thai shorts feels awesome. Could feel the gust under the balls
>>
>>792645
>>792686

AFAIK there's a thing about pink MT shorts. You only wear pink if you are a real tough MoFo (top tier in your gym).
>>
GUYS i'm looking for some advice.
I used to do lots of athletics and cross country was fit as hell, then about 5 years ago i stopped doing anything. So i sat around doing nothing until around 6 months ago.
when i decided to get fit i was about 170lbs 5ft10, now i'm around 148lbs. I've been running, swimming, and doing some lifting so i feel pretty fit again.
I've always watched boxing and recently took some interest in ufc - so i've decided i'd like to try one of them.

Now i have a dilemma.
In my city there is only 1 nice boxing gym and it is miles away, (all other boxing gyms are full of roided out gangsters just punching holes in walls and i really dont wanna go somewhere like that)
On the other hand there's a decent, clean, professional muay thai/mma gm nearby.

Any advice for a bro wanting to start? what would i expect in my first classes etc
>>
>>793518
the ghetto boxing gyms are the best ones. stop being a pussy.
>>
>>793518
If you really want to box, some people who've made some bad choices being there shouldn't stop you.

PS: Being affiliated with a group that has a lot of certain types of people doesn't mean that everybody in that group is the same.

>whites are the superior race
>all starving African children are getting what they deserve
>all women are only good for cooking, cleaning, and vagina
>>
>>793518
>>793836
>stop being a pussy.
this
>>
>>793518
you don't sound like you have what it takes to be a boxer you should go down to the tkd school for a non intimidating learning environment.
>>
>>791018
I use this kick all the time when I'm ambushed by a kid wearing a trenchcoat sitting on another kid's shoulders.
>>
>>793836
It's true. Just like how the restaurants with the best food always seem to have a few health code violations.
>>
>>793842
>implying most white people are superior
>implying most starving african kids get what they deserve
>implying most women are only good for cooking, cleaning and vagina

i guess getting hit in the head repeatedly does something to you
>>
>>792784
Pink is a badass manly color in thai culture, so it would make sense
>>
>>780061
>>780140
it got a piece of meat in its mouth and did what comes naturally

im guessing the other one died
>>
>>794141
>im guessing the other one died
Medical practice is quite advanced this day and age. It just lost part of it's leg, I'm sure it got cleaned, patched up, and rehabilitated. Maybe it even has a prosthetic now.
>>
>>780037
Muay Thai is sometimes marketed as kickboxing/muay Thai because regular people have no idea wtf muay Thai is. It is also taught within a bigger curriculum like mma. But to say that muay Thai is just a marketing term in the west is an over exaggeration. On top of the variations in techniques like clinching and sweeping, the flow in Muay Thai is very different than the flow in Western kickboxing. Although I agree with you that Western muay Thai boxers are more influenced by western styles than Thai boxers in Thailand which can lead to some bastardized styles. But pure muay Thai schools do exist in the West.
>>
So I want to start boxing but I don't want to get heemed and get brain damage. How often does that really happen?
>>
>>794190
Studies throughout the decades have shown that with more than 3 years of Boxing, a Boxer's chances of developing acute neurological issues within the next year is increase by approximately 78%. By 5 years of Boxing, the chances of developing permanent brain damage are more than 90%, with brain damage that's already accrued developing into more severe cases being nearly assured. Continuation of Boxing for more than 10 years is assured to cause permanent severe neurological issues. Though modern knowledge is extensive, it's still limited. Scientists have yet to pin down just which parts of the brain will be damaged more than the others. Some Boxers show symptoms evident of damage to one area of the brain, while others show that of others. Some Boxers show evidence of damage to various parts of the brain.
>>
If you pick muay thai practice boxing anyway otherwise your punches are just gonna be pathetic
>>
>>794200
Will the % get lower if I practice bareknuckle boxing?
>>
Just call it striking
>>
>>794200
Damn. I love martial arts and want to practice one more practical but I'm fairly smart and don't want to become retarded. I'll stick with lifting weights I guess.
>>
>>780032
Either is fine, both martial arts are effective.

I do Muay Thai and I've always done bits of boxing or always knew how to box from a young age and it does hoenstly help. To me boxing taught me the basics of fighting, like simple footwork and simple striking, but that can only be used effectively if you polish it up hard enough so it becomes more powerful and quicker. Since it's a fairly simple technique but can be used at a high level by just simply doing it over and over again, compare a TKD or any Karate artist who has trained for a 5-6 months, the boxer is most likely to prove more effective.

However, Muay Thai is also good for, really good. But it's more complex than boxing, since it uses a variety of techniques and has more to offer in terms of striking. But that's not to say Muay Thai isn't better than boxing, nor is boxing better than Muay Thai, it all comes down to you and you're gym. There's a common misconception that people think that in MA, the more effective the MA, the higher the chance of winning. But I'd say it's much more to do with the fighter themselves, in terms of power, speed and technique.

Both are incredibly good, either of what you choose is fine. But i would also say if you wanted a long term MA, I'd choose Muay Thai, given the longer the training the better the results, and as for boxing, it's not as if you shouldn't do it for a long time, just I think in boxing what you learn keeps with you for a long-ass time. Opposed to Muay Thai where what you learn in about 3-4 months can easily go opposed to someone who knows boxing and learnt for 3-4 months, mainly caused as I said boxing is simpler. Maybe not at a high level though.
>>
>>794242
>in terms of power, speed and technique.
As well as speed at which the fighter learns and improves, and the fighter's ability to apply the "power, speed, and technique."
>>
>>794223
Pretty sure it only counts for people that compete. Just "training boxing" wouldn't give you brain damage.

Not sure if it counts for sparring as well, although I would assume it's quite moderate compared to the rate of a competitive boxer.
>>
>>794258
Yeah, Good point ^^
>>
>>780032
What a fucking awful image
>>
>>793842
Anon I don't think you thought through your examples and where you are.
>>
been doing kickboxing for about 3 months, how long before i can compete in a k1 fight?
>>
>>795285
5 more years
>>
>>795285
You could compete right now, all you have to do is believe.
>>
>>795285
Try not to get hit in the face alright. See you losing at preliminaries
>>
>>794263
I hope to God it's only for people who compete. I wanna slam it with boxingbros while still being able to perfectly ascertain high literature.
>>
>>792263
that's not a tiger....
>>
File: 0001.png (729 KB, 569x737) Image search: [Google]
0001.png
729 KB, 569x737
>>789613
>im 21, can i git gud?
>Yes.
I know this was a while ago but I just saw it now and wanted to thank you for this. ;_;
>>
From my experience i can tell that Muay Thai is more brutal than regular boxing due to the fact that 90% of the muay thai fighters lack basic boxing skills. For instance, they dont know how to use there hands properly for a punch and rely on sheer force rather than technique. I admit after a lesson of Muay Thai you feel invincible but Boxers have the better technique. I recommend starting with boxing and switching to Thai / Kickboxing in order to get the basics done.
>>
>>792263
Absolute bullshit
>>
>>793518
>>792263
Absolute bullshit>>793518
>In my city there is only 1 nice boxing gym and it is miles away, (all other boxing gyms are full of roided out gangsters just punching holes in walls and i really dont wanna go somewhere like that)
>On the other hand there's a decent, clean, professional muay thai/mma gm nearby

Go do karate with all the little kids then you queer
>>
File: 1301532110390.jpg (320 KB, 840x1120) Image search: [Google]
1301532110390.jpg
320 KB, 840x1120
>start muay thai
>3 times so far
>by the end of 2nd session i was sore and couldn't raise my arms
>3rd time couldn't do the drills
>could only work on the bag for 20mins

what do? Should I wait until the sore goes away?
Should I just do as much as I can until I get tired even if it is just sometime on the bag?
>>
>>796064
not OP but perfect, thank you. going to start boxing over break in the sweet, sweet cold. years down the line i want to train muay thai (after judo) but thats then. if i can git gud with these 3 styles, i'll be happy
>>
The pain goes away.
>>
>>796090
Don't overdo your limit, everyone experiences this kind of thing the first few sessions, it's natural for bruising and being wore out.

All you can do it keep it up, the more you keep going the less hellish it becomes. It's just about letting it become all natural.

I've been doing Thai boxing/Muay Thai for about a month and a little bit now and I'm coping fine with it.

If you want to make it easier, try do some light training at home, I usually do 20-30 mins of weights/muscle exercises and an hour run when I feel like It, but for starting, surviving he first few sessions should be enough.

Just don't blow your limit, take it slow as you have to. But if you feel you can push that little extra then do so. It's better to take it slow and safe and slowly build up to be a good fighter rather than go all out from the get-go and being drained of all energy and not learn anything or develop style and technique.
>>
>>796098
thankx senpai.
What I did last time was I went to the class and just watched the guys doing the drills and when the class ended I worked a bit on the bags.

I don't know if just by watching I can get something out of it, but it sure pumped me up to try the bags, even with weakened triceps.
>>
>>796098

Seconding this.

I'm doing Kyokushin which is pretty similar to MT in terms of toughness. The first two weeks I thought I could never take it and literally could barely walk after the sessions.

Two weeks later I realized I could keep up with the training and another two weeks later it didn't even bother me anymore.

Also I think it's a common beginners mistake to overdo things. Some weeks ago a guy from a differnt Krotty style came over to start Kyokushin. While we were at the "warming up" he went full rocket mode, doing everything 100% exact and super fast, so I though he was quite a tough guy. But after a while he gassed out and even tripped during hichkicks, later in sparring his condition was totally fucked.

So as the other guy said, start slow and be patient. Being accurate and taking your time for even the simplest basics (step in / step out) will pay off double in the long run.
>>
>>796109
Sure. I did got excited and gave a lot on those first times.
I will even go slower on the warmup because you can get carried away by the instructor who yells and goes on like a pro.

then maybe watch the drills and work on the bags until I feel better next week.
>>
>>791018
I started from taekwondo and moved to muay thai. I have a huge advantage when it comes to kicking.
>>
Doing muay thai for years now. I think i might be ready to be pro. Any pro nak muay here. Give me some tips
>>
>>780140
Cause its a stupid fucking crocodile. They arent exactly brilliant. Food instinct was triggered, leg happened to be in/near the mouth, it did its thing and got fed.
>>
>>780332
Brutal.
>>
How full contact is Muay Thai I'm tempted to give it a try since there's a popular club in my town. Everyone I've met who does it are skinny stoners though. Is it pretty much the same as boxy training or a little lighter?
>>
>>796382
It varies on your level, as for me I'm a novice and I've been doing Thai for a month and a bit now and we finally did some sparring, nothing crazy, just not too light but not full effort kicks, enough to make you respond and fight sort've. Light sparring with shin guards and gloves, it's like boxing in many ways except In Thai you'll get hit more and prolly not hit as hard, whereas boxing you'll be mainly blocking and getting more powerful hits in, in Thai it's more restricted since you don't really want to destroy someone, no elbows no knees, unless it's a knee to the chest or a light rib or liver knee. We barely clinched but then again I fought from a distance since I'm a 5'5 short arse.

Pretty much, my point here: varies as you increase, mainly though you'll be taking hits and exchanging them, unless you're at a higher level where you can't afford to do that.

This is my experience anyway, hope it helps!
>>
>>796382
Also you'll be using more kicks, so that's a big difference compared to boxing. But if you're a good fighter you'll learn to keep jabbing and moving and try and get hooks when you can whilst advancing, either by getting a low in and then Hook, or stepping in as they lift and get the Hook and advance to a clinch.

Also gyms are a big part too, my gym is a good mix of actual good fucking Thai training and also a super-friendly atmosphere where they try and tell you wtf you're doing wrong and tell you how to sort it out. But I wouldn't go to a gym where they treat me as a punch bag, that wouldn't help me train at all, you need constructive feedback from your spar partner and you need to help them and let hem help you where he/she/you lack.

But if it's a good gym, all sparring will come naturally to you, and if it's brutal or hard hitting, by the time you're at that level you'll be fine to do it.
>>
Quick glove question.

I've been using 16oz gloves lately for training and sparring but i'm finding it hard to keep my hands up for the length of the hour and half session. Should I get a lighter pair or stick with the 16s to condition myself? I don't feel like i'm doing myself any favours with such heavy gloves (i'm 69kg btw)
>>
File: lyoto-flying-side-kick.jpg (50 KB, 586x511) Image search: [Google]
lyoto-flying-side-kick.jpg
50 KB, 586x511
Punching is like kicking but for bitches.
>>
>>796595
Overtraining your muscles is worse than not training at all.
>>
>>796064
solid advice
>>
>>796975
So what are you saying? Don't use 16oz gloves and get a pair of 10oz?
>>
>>796595

Everything above 8 oz is for pussies.
>>
>>794200
I made that all up, by the way. I had no "studies" and or evidence to back up my claims.
>>
File: 6982085_orig.jpg (179 KB, 1080x733) Image search: [Google]
6982085_orig.jpg
179 KB, 1080x733
Can someone explain me why this guy is so good?
>>
>>797884
he honed his craft?
>>
File: HowtoPunchHeavyBag-595.jpg (38 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
HowtoPunchHeavyBag-595.jpg
38 KB, 600x400
i need somw advice.
i am doing something wrong with my jabs and crosses.

many times when i work on the bag i feel the force of the hit on the back of my neck.
sometimes on my tricep then neck.
other times even on my jaw.

that neck 'absorption' doesn't feel right.
what do?
also should my teeth touch eachother or keep my jaw a bit open in my mouth?
>>
>>780285

You sick fuck. There are laws for a reason...
>>
I do boxing, basic defence de la rue, and Greco-roman.
Cum on me bro.
>>
>>799161
Hire a gigolo, my cum ain't free
>>
>>799161

So no kicks and no ground fighting skills..
>>
>>798584
bump to push away wrestling acting.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.