[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning to fight square one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 1368060733149.jpg (45 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1368060733149.jpg
45 KB, 600x800
Hello /asp/
I have lurked on here for a few weeks now and got fairly interested in fighting/martial arts. I took karate for a few years when I was 9-13 so I'm not a complete noob to matrial arts. There were a lot of katas and seemingly impractical techniques involved. Instead of trying to train in the same way I did the, I wanted to develop a sort of hybrid martial arts by encorporating a number of striking and grappling techniques. I'm looking for the sort of practicality Krav Maga is rumored to have; subdue the enemy as quickly as possible and gtfo. I have been doing 150 pushups, 150 crunches, various cardiovascular like running and jump roping, as well and basic punch and kick combos for videos. I'm 19 now, 6'1'', 170lbs, and I want to learn to properly defend myself and others.
>inb4 join a gym pleb
Not many local and Im a broke college student
>inb4 look it up yourself
Why not ask some real people their opinion and I have already done some preliminary research.
TL;DR: I am learning self defense and I would like training tips, literature, personal advice, videos, anything to help me to better understand hand to hand combat.
>>
OP here, honestly wanting to be a better fighter started for me after watching the movie Oldboy. That and my time on /asp/
Also this is my broken arm
>>
File: sasae lee.gif (1 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
sasae lee.gif
1 MB, 360x202
>>775161

>inb4 join a gym pleb
>Not many local and Im a broke college student

What location? I guarantee there are Judo and Boxing gyms near you with cheap membership. Both styles are solid, hard-sparring and give you a decent fighting base.
>>
>>775172
20 mins from city of Syracuse, NY. But like I said, I'm broke and Im living on just enough money for meals and books. And no I do not attend Syracuse University I'm at a community college near there
>>
File: 1447800440443.gif (4 MB, 272x190) Image search: [Google]
1447800440443.gif
4 MB, 272x190
>not just getting good at the Karate techniques to become a good fighter
On self defense
More than 90% of the time, all you need is good Kickboxing.
Get some friends, spar often, and maybe do some drills.
>>
>>775193
Like I mentioned, the techniques I remember seem really impractical for a real life street fight. The gif you posted sort of proves it, the Neanderthal in the Monster Energy flat brim is unaffected by some decent side kicks. The kid kicking is pretty scrawny though
>>
>>775193
Yeah you should never just fight with your buddies. More than likely, no one has a clue what they're doing. Guys who train in a gym will be out of this universe compared to you.
>>
>>775204
My friend and I who goes to college in Rochester are both interested in developing practical self defense skills. Over the summer we plan on doing some sparring and collaborating about what we learned.
>>
>>775201
>decent side kicks
no

>>775204
It's better than nothing, which is all OP has because he's broke.
>>
>>775230
He is doing meme karate
>I can hear the "KIYAH"s from here
>>
>>775193
>>775201

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfnGkV6qmTw
6:22
>more than 1,000lbs of force
>can shatter ribs
>can damage organs
>>
>>775280
Damn anon I love these
>>
>>775161
You can't learn to fight in a vacuum.
You need a trainer who tells you when you fuck up and gives you incentive to be less of a fuckup.
Either that or you go to Detroit and start challenging people to duels. That would work, too, but might land you in hospital or a grave.
>>
>>775182
You an MV boy?
>>
>>775161
>Im a broke college student

And your college doesn't have a wrestling team or club, or boxing, or BJJ etc.?
>>
>>777894
Anon goes to community college.
>>
>>775172
>>777894
>I guarantee there are Judo and Boxing gyms near you
Not OP but, jokes on you. I have to drive 45min just to find a krotty dojo.

>And your college doesn't have a wrestling team or club, or boxing, or BJJ etc.?
When I went to Uni there was a self-defense course and a Strip Mall TKD place nearby.

>>775171
Cool arm brah. Are both bones broken? How'd you manage that?
>>
Boxing and/or judo
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.