[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not much else more needs to be said, imagine getting hip tossed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 23
File: u2usm[1].jpg (76 KB, 474x503) Image search: [Google]
u2usm[1].jpg
76 KB, 474x503
Not much else more needs to be said, imagine getting hip tossed on concrete. It's goodnight for you at that point, crab maggots.
>>
>>762386
I think its good night for all of us mate.
>>
I want to do judo but for some reason it is expensive as fuck in my city. Like $100 a month most places.
I keep wishing that the university that I currently train at gets its shit together when it comes to allowing and funding new martial art clubs so that the judo club and be a real thing.

Till then I limited to hapkido to fill my grappling needs.
>>
>>766479
hapkido has grapples but its really nothing compared to judo or wrestling.
>>
>>766547
Which is why I want to do judo, duh!
>>
>>766550
$100 doesn't seem that bad.
>>
>>766552
Can't afford it, and at that price I could spend $20 more and go to a competitive MMA gym or something.

Besides I always here on here how judo is suppository one of the cheap martial arts but in my experience, at least where I live, that is total bullshit.

It is actually only slightly cheaper then MT and BJJ.
>>
>>762386

I have and then I continued punching. Ended that fight with a rock.
>>
File: Zangrief suplex.gif (3 MB, 333x187) Image search: [Google]
Zangrief suplex.gif
3 MB, 333x187
>>
File: Zangrief suplex2.gif (3 MB, 324x182) Image search: [Google]
Zangrief suplex2.gif
3 MB, 324x182
>>
File: 1398621203819.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1398621203819.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: illegal arm in choke out.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
illegal arm in choke out.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>
File: neck break.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
neck break.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>762386
webm related but its a wrestling throw.
>>
File: flying juji.gif (2 MB, 327x178) Image search: [Google]
flying juji.gif
2 MB, 327x178
>>
File: judo in the streets uchi mata.gif (1 MB, 260x190) Image search: [Google]
judo in the streets uchi mata.gif
1 MB, 260x190
>>
>>
File: judo self defense tai otoshi.webm (2 MB, 738x416) Image search: [Google]
judo self defense tai otoshi.webm
2 MB, 738x416
>>
>>
File: choi te gurama.gif (3 MB, 300x166) Image search: [Google]
choi te gurama.gif
3 MB, 300x166
>>
>>766587
>>766589
>going for the armbar afterwards

legit
>>
>>766600
I love how the staff nearly shit themselves like they never seen someone choked out before.
>>
>>766600
>Serbia vs Turkey
>The Serb chokes out the Turk
Holy shit.
>>
>>766604
Holy shit...

Did he die?
>>
>>766479
The fuck? I pay 10 euro a session, how often do you want to go?
>>
>>766556
Try to go talk to some Senseis and ask about maybe doing dojo chores for cheaper price. Works sometimes. My deal is similar due to me being a broke college student.
>>
>>767121
>how often do you want to go?
At least twice a week
Which under that price would still come out to 80 a month
>>
Post uranages.
>>
I mean, it worked so well for Ronda
>>
File: 1440468263903.jpg (71 KB, 545x545) Image search: [Google]
1440468263903.jpg
71 KB, 545x545
>>767651
Post your face when Judo is finished
>>
>>766604
was there something the guy who got thrown did horribly wrong that led to him breaking his neck?
>>
>>769482
He might just be out cold. The file name isn't always accurate.
>>
File: 1447570176360.png (486 KB, 599x478) Image search: [Google]
1447570176360.png
486 KB, 599x478
Does it now?
>>
>>769562
this is a classic case of "good luck hitting me with a planet if I hit you with my fist first, and then again, and then again, and then my foot"
>>
>>767662
>the most popular sport
>finished
>>
File: huge ura nage.gif (2 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
huge ura nage.gif
2 MB, 360x203
>>767549
>>
File: o soto gari 2.gif (1 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
o soto gari 2.gif
1 MB, 360x202
>>769571

That's a classic case of why trying to outstrike a better striker is a stupid game plan. Should have kept her hands up and only threw enough of a jab to get inside striking range.

Ronda's been moving toward this hubris for awhile; falling in love with her hands, doing talk shows instead of training, believing her own hype, etc. As it was, not only did Holm dominate the striking game, she showed better grappling than Rousey as well.
>>
>>769578
>most popular
>>
File: IJF bane.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
IJF bane.gif
2 MB, 360x202
>>770142

Soccer takes the cake for that one, but Judo is easily number two in most places worldwide.

Not North America, since we're team sport obsessed, but large parts of Europe and Asia are mad for Judo.

I think BJJ is on a good roll, and brought some much needed 'budo' back into the MA scene, but recent developments have me worried for the future of our pyjama wrasslin brothers. Lots of fake belt drama, internet belt mills, etc shite going down lately.

IN general Judo conversation, what are /asp/s judoka doing to stop the IJF rot and keep hold of true Judo? My club's been having some newaza only mini-tournaments with a BJJ club, and there's talk about getting some local Freestyle/Old School Judo tournaments up and running. The idea being that we can do whatever we want in unsanctioned tournaments to sharpen our skills, then just go back into IJF mode before the tournaments.

Might end up with some hansoku makes, but fuck it, we're all here to throw a bitch.
>>
>>770172
There's always the option of just separating judo into IJF judo and real judo, just like they've done with greco/freestyle wrassling.
The IJF isn't going to change.
But there's nothing stopping us from making a separate sport.

Freestyle judo is shit because of micropoints.
BJJ is shit because of micropoints and guard pulling.

Honestly, judo rules just need to:
>Allow "non-conventional grips"
>Allow leg grabs
>Have a longer allowable time on the ground (but still have a time limit to keep it fast)
>Allow leg locks
>Have some recognition of the importance of guard slams
>(possibly the 1920s rule where if you lift them above your waist from newaza you get an ippon without having to throw them, and consider a slam from below waist height to be a waza-ari)
>>
File: one hand o uchi gari.gif (666 KB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
one hand o uchi gari.gif
666 KB, 360x202
>>770185

I like it. First to three ippons would be cool, too.
Ippons being Ippon-Worthy throw, 20 second osaekomi, and submission.

I like a bit of limitation on newaza, in the manner that 'stalled' judoka get stood back up and restarted, but that's about it.
>>
>>770213
Yeah, I like the time limitation on newaza too.
Both from a sporting aspect (more interesting to play and watch), but more importantly from a defensive aspect.

Going down to the ground can be really, really dangerous in some defensive situations, so you really should be training to get down there, do what you have to and then get back up quickly.

I'm not so much of a fan of first to three ippons.
Part of what makes judo so great is how unforgiving it is. If you fuck up once and they get one big throw, you might have just lost the entire tournament. There aren't really many other sports like that. Rounds make it fairer, but they also make it less exciting.
>>
File: ipponbitch.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
ipponbitch.gif
1 MB, 400x225
What techniques are you guys working on?
I'm really trying to get my seio nage up to par.
>>
>>770172
In Australia there are 2 judo bodies,

- The Australian Judo Federation, which follows the IJF rules and grades using points system or competition. And is the main body for selecting and training Olympic judo.

- The Australian Kodokan Judo Association, which grades using curriculum/demonstration of techniques and competition rules are varied from the IJF style. It's the main body for training and competition/demonstration of Kata.
Some rules differences are 25 seconds to score ippon in newaza and taking the leg in tachiwaza is allowed when a technique has been initiated (eg. kouchigari to knock the leg [initiated] which can be caught, and throwing with ouchigari).
However there's an aim for a more traditional judo focus with contest rules to distinguish it from wrestling or BJJ. No double leg takedown for example. Extensive grip fighting is discouraged to the point where actively pushing the opponent away can be given a shido.
>>
>>775165
New to judo
Really trying to get my osotogari working in randori both left and right

Whats a good set up for osoto gari?
>>
Anyone know of any good places in Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky to train judo?
>>
>>775296
Don't. It is deceptively complex and beginners almost always get countered, even by other beginners, when they try it. Get your seoi and koshi waza first, then revisit osoto later.
>>
>>775302
futile bump
>>
>>775302
>>775454
I googled Cincinnati judo it and it seems 'jin judo' is the most prominent...
You get two free lessons so perhaps just try it out.
>>
File: O soto gari persistance.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
O soto gari persistance.gif
2 MB, 360x202
>>775296

Any type of ashi waza is good to set up O Soto Gari, if you're quick enough and can take advantage of Uke's reaction.

That being said, >>775371 is correct in saying that O Soto is way more complicated than it seems. Don't expect it to come easily.
>>
>>775371
>>775927
Thanks
The only reason i like osoto over seoi is im 6'5" and getting low enough, fast enough with proper kuzushi has been impossible for me in randori
>>
>>775371
I completely disagree. I think you should be working on that osoto even as a beginner. It's complex yes, but that's exactly why he should be practicing it. He'll get countered, yes, but that's how you'll learn.
>>
>>770213
To be fair, you can have as much time on the ground as you want in competition as long as you are seen to be progressive, if you stall you get stood up.

At least, that's how it should work, it's pretty ref dependent on what they think is progressive.
>>
>>776127
>Too tall for seoi

I know that feel. Try other big hip throws, harai goshi and uchi mata work for me on smaller opponents.

If you want to come back to seoi nage, try morote seoi nage as you'll naturally lift them higher, and the drop and concentrate on an explosive push from the knees.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.