[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 21, I've been training shotokan karate for 15 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: kickboxing-kick-boxing.jpg (36 KB, 568x504) Image search: [Google]
kickboxing-kick-boxing.jpg
36 KB, 568x504
I'm 21, I've been training shotokan karate for 15 years (2dan black belt),boxing for about 3 years and muay thai 6 months, would that be enough experience for opening a kickboxing gym?
>>
You could have all the experience in the world, but still have no knowledge to offer.
Tell us, what do you have to offer beginner students to learn?
Once you teach then the attacks and defenses, what knowledge do you have to offer about applying them?
What do you actually have to offer about fighting?
What will you do differently that merits opening a new gym, with you as the head?
>>
>>754386
No. Stupid nigger.
>>
>>754391
I've been in countless karate tournaments, won 5 local kickboxing tournaments and 2nd place in a national tournament, 7 amateur boxing matches with a record of 5-2-0.
I've been teaching karate for about 2 years, and i have quite the amount of students, where i live there's only muay thai gyms, so that's why i like to open an "american" style kickboxing gym, but i don't know if that would work out,
>>
Parks and rec black belts don't count Billy. Jk ur good go for it
>>
>>754395
>amateur boxing

Nope.

Unless you have a pro record OR you've trained a successful pro fighter you have no business opening up a fight gym.
>>
>>754423
Don't listen this faggot please, but honestly try and get experience at a local MMA gym as an assistant coach
>>
>>754395
That doesn't tell us what you have to offer, it just tells us what you've done before that involves martial arts.

Do you have a plan, yet?
How far are you in the process of making this idea a reality?

You can't just win a few Kickboxing fights and expect to start a school, fighting and teaching may be similar, but they are very different.

You could teach dozens of people about fighting, but you may not be teaching them how to fight.

Sure, you could show a few punches, and show a few kicks, but are you qualified to teach people the kicks and punches?

Let's say that despite your lack of formal education in teaching, you happen to manage to use your wit to just get you through sharing your knowledge.
Let's say that you've taught a moderately fit person all the attacks and defenses against attacks you're able to offer.
Then what?
You should teach that person how to apply the punches, kicks, and you should teach that person how to apply defenses.
Sure, if you throw two kids in the ring, they might or might not figure it out eventually, but you're there to teach them, that's what they're paying you for.
You need to be able to identify basic ways to apply techniques, and you need to also be able to explain them and teach them to another human being that may or may not be stupid.
And then what?
What else do you have to offer?
There are strategies, many varying strategies.
There's more than a dozen ways to fight, and there's more than your way to fight.
You're going to have narrow minded gym if you can't accommodate various fighting styles, or at the very basic fighting styles.
>>
>>754395

To have a good gym, not a shitty gym, you need these basic things.

>the ability to observe
>the ability to teach
>the ability to teach a variety of learning styles (the general population is divided in how they learn best)
>posses the knowledge of what you're teaching
>be able to explain what you're teaching
>be able to explain things in different ways
>correct errors of others
>correct errors in yourself
>>
>>754386
You have 3 years of actual training so no
>>
>>754386
>>754395
OP, here's a general idea about how I'd teach Kickboxing.

>get projector
>create slides with Microsoft power point
>show demonstration of jab from orthodox
>"students, this is called the jab"
>show jab in slow motion
>tell them about the mechanics of the jab
>tell them about what muscles to use in the jab
>other stuff about technique
>have still frames with lines made in MS paint shown when talking about some part of the jab in particular
>demonstrate jab on bag
>have students do jab
>critique technique
>correct bad form
>have them jab bags or pads or something

>continue with other punches
>maybe throw in a kick or two

>teach how to defend against attacks
>do drills defending against single attacks
>bobbing
>blocking
>other kinds of blocking
>backpedaling
>side stepping
>pair them up and let them take turns punching at each other and defending
>let them spar if they want on certain days, both light contact and full contact
>encourage sparring

Once they have jab, cross, hook, front kick, roundhouse kick, they get more sparring privileges
Intermediate classes involve more strategies and tactics
>light contact sparring required, but not everyday
>kick to close range, jab, hook
>counter fighting
>ranged fighting
>swarm fighting
>kicking-oriented fighting
>boxing-oriented fighting
>mostly kicking but also some boxing if the opportunity presents itself - oriented fighting
>etcetera oriented fighting
>different variations in stances and guard
>more advanced combinations
>get started on more advanced kicks like side kick, step side kick, front leg roundhouse, front leg front kick, turning side kick, wheel kick, hook kick, etcetera
>less emphasis on previous more fundamental techniques
>provide individual critique and feedback on students' sparring
>>
>>754386
>>754395
>>754481

Advanced Classes
>very strategy and tactics oriented
>very drill oriented
>very sparring oriented
>front push kick can be used to create distance, front push kick can be used to stagger opponent, in which you may step in, perhaps with a step jab, followed by a hook, opponent may return an attack by now, in which you might weave and then throw a cross
>rear roundhouse, jab, cross, hook
>feint jab to roundhouse kick
>low fake to high rondhouse
>fake missing roundhouse to turning side kick
>feint cross to step jab to front kick
>feint jab as to initate a counter from the opponent, which is returned with a dodge and a cross, followed by creating distance if it's not created and then do a roundhouse kick
>drill some of that stuff
>"now, go try some of that out while y'all spar"
>give critique
>more drills
>maybe some optional end of the day full contact sparring
>ask students if they want sparring recorded, in which it's posted online so they may self-analyze
>maybe record some other stuff and eventually develop a highlight reel of the class for the website or something
>encourage discovery and development of individual fighting styles
>>
>>754481
>>754488

>learn more about the individual students
>learn about which teaching methods and styles suite each student best
>learn about what individual students have more trouble with than others
>learn the students' weaknesses and strengths
>learn about how that one student has trouble with his left leg kicks
>notice how some students favor southpaw
>notice how some students are more fluid with moving between southpaw and orthodox
>notice a friendly rivalry between some of the elder students
>notice a not so friendly rivalry between some of the students
>notice how one student is mostly joining to lose weight but have fun while doing it
>notice how one student is paranoid about getting into a street fight and trains to fuck people's shit up
>notice how one student was pushed by his or her parents to continue tacking classes
>notice how one student doesn't learn as fast as the others
>notice how one student is a fucking super genius prodigy who has the potential to do great things for the world and makes everybody jealous
>notice how one kid is poor and is scraping together all his minimal extra money to practice something he enjoys a lot and you have to remind him about how important school is and he respects your because you've been a good teacher
>notice how one student is all about muh spiritual development through movement and combat expression, also tries to get people to go to his church
>notice how one student is more introverted than the others but excels more quickly than the others and is respected for his skill but doesn't take offers from the others to hang out
>notice how one student was there because his dad that liked kickboxing died and how he feels obligated to train to make his daddy proud and broke down and cried that one time when he did really good in class and won the sparring match, and then the more extraverted students ask him about why he's crying and he tells the class about how his father died and everybody bonds
>>
>>754490
>notice how one student writes fanfictions about anime and then starts to make up stories when discussing martial arts on a Cambodian Calligraphy board about a young martial artists in a Kickboxing gym run by a young martial artist who got started by asking anonymous strangers on a Japanese Cartoon board about starting a Kickboxing gym in which a young martial artist started giving advice on starting a martial arts gym and then got carried away and started writing stories for his own entertainment and humor
>>
>>754386
>>754395
So you have at least some memory of teachers teaching you martial arts.
You might want to think about their methods, and maybe apply some of that into what you'll do.
>>
>>754395
There's not enough kick variety in typical Muay Thai.
What "Kickboxing" are you going for?
Some allows leg kicks, some others don't allow leg kicks, this makes a big difference in teaching for competition.
>>
File: Modified Karate Stances in MMA.jpg (706 KB, 2108x1752) Image search: [Google]
Modified Karate Stances in MMA.jpg
706 KB, 2108x1752
How are you going to incorporate Boxing stances, Karate stances, and Muay Thai stances into your system?
>>
OP, what do you know about Entrepreneurship?

For advertising, I'd advise the following
>make business cards
>put flyers around various downtown areas
>spend a good amount of time into making a decent website with good information about what you do, who you are, how much it costs, where you are, what time classes are, etcetera
>tell your friends about it
>encourage your students to tell their friends about it
>make sure your email and phone number is provided everywhere
>leave your flyers and cards at bus stops
>leave your flyers and cards at parks
>ask local high schools and colleges if you can give them your cards and flyers for them to leave out for students
>have a Facebook for the school
>don't lie about who you are
>>
What happens if the class gets too big and you can't give quality learning to all of the students by yourself?
>>
>>754386
>I'm 21
You're still a child.

The brain of an adolescent is very plastic and able to create strong, lasting neuro-connections relative easily.
One's ability to strengthen one's aptitude is significantly reduced past the age of around 25 years.
After that, one's ability to strengthen one's bare basic ability to do things like memorize things, calculate, all other things stemming from that is just significantly reduced.
However, one's ability to recall stored information quickly and keep long-term memory is significantly increased.
Also, one can still learn and apply various techniques to improve one's ability of memorizing things and what not.
Knowledge, intelligence, and determination can compensate for each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KLPxDtMqe8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiduiTq1ei8
>>
>>754477
>You have 3 years of actual training so no
Are you saying that 6 months in Muay Thai means nothing?
>>
Tier-1:
>jab
>cross

Tier-2:
>hook
>uppercut
>overhand
>rear leg front snap kick

Tier-3:
>full kinetic linking power punch
>Muay Thai-style rear roundhouse kick
>step side kick

Agree, or disagree?
Changes?
>>
>>754560
maybe

Tier-1:
>jab
>cross
>rear leg front snap kick

Tier-2:
>hook
>uppercut
>overhand
>rear leg front push kick
>rear leg snap roundhouse kick

Tier-3:
>full kinetic linking power punch
>Muay Thai-style rear roundhouse kick
>step side kick
>>
>>754432
>Don't listen this faggot please, but honestly try and get experience at a local MMA gym as an assistant coach

Lol so what is he going to say qualifies him to train fighters?

Because when someone who knows better asks him and he says he's never fought pro or trained a successful pro fighter they are going to laugh in his face.
>>
>>754640

I'd like to agree.

I think it's great that you want to teach people, but with 21 you are still very young..

Get a little bit better, polish your skills and win some titles (doesn't have to be the world championship, just some tournaments to get practice).

Mind that one day you might get a student that wants to be a professional kickboxer and if you can't give him any advice about tournaments, that will be sad.

If you sart your Dojo with 25 you still got plenty of years ahead.
>>
>>754395
>5-2 in a sport that he isnt teaching
>karate tournaments

and this makes you feel like you are qualified to teach kickboxing why exactly?

if you feeling cocky, compete in MT until you're regional champ or something.
>>
>>754723
this.
get experience. train some notable people.

or you could be like that guy who runs expertboxing, and just get hardcore at training and become an expert trainer.

but at the bare minimum, enter a few kickboxing tournaments, get a few wins under your belt.

im rather confused by what you mean by kickboxing.

do you mean dutch style training for MT? or actual kickboxing?

because that would impact on what sort of tournaments you enter
>>
>>754732
Not tournaments.

He claims to have fought in amateur tournaments.

I'm talking about pro fights where he is getting a purse.
>>
>>754750
either or, really.
the issue with going pro is that you have to get sponsorship etc. sometime circumstances may not permit. might as well just dominate the amateur scene.
some people make good trainers without going pro.
i hear cus d'amato never went pro on account of being blind in 1 eye. look how well he turned out.
>>
>>754490
>notice how one student is more introverted than the others but excels more quickly and is respected for his skill but doesn't take offers from the others to hang out
>tfw no one ever offers to hang out
>tfw I'd probably just want to spend the time sparring anyway
>>
>>754781
>i hear cus d'amato never went pro on account of being blind in 1 eye.
Yeah but he trained decent fighters before he really got his break with Floyd Patterson.

And now there is just such a variety of gyms training successful fighters or run by retired/pro fighters that he's better off getting some mileage at another actual fight gym. Even if a pro career doesn't work out he should go work with someone who has trained successful pro fighters.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.