[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I started practicing Bagua Zhang , because of my scoliosis ,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
I started practicing Bagua Zhang , because of my scoliosis , anybody tried it? is it worth learning?
>>
>>754080
Which variant? Northern or Southern? After the Ming dynasty's destruction of the Shaolin, Bahua Tsang (proper name) was well and truly ruined in the northernmost parts of China. Some schools from the south like Emei style overturning fist survived, however, which is possibly where your lineage is from. My Tai Chi teacher trained in it for a while, don't think she liked it much though.
>>
File: 1445465264790.gif (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1445465264790.gif
3 MB, 480x360
>>754080
Unless it's teaching you proper technique like this, then you're wasting your money.
>>
I don't know its written Fu Xi on the site , im from Europe
>>
>>754084
What the FUCK is your problem? Seriously, man.
>>
We are doing slow walk in square form with different position of hands at the moment
>>
>anybody tried it?
The faggots here will claim authority on things that they know very little about and haven't practiced.
>>
>>754083

No. Bagua is fairly recent and comes from Dong Hai Chuan, some lineages such as Tian style claim to have originated from separate Taoist traditions but there claims are held to be highly spurious. Main subsystems stem from Dong's students, most notably Yin and Cheng style.

OP, bagua is a pretty interesting and fun martial art. Some crosstraining in alive arts is recommended, but on the whole it's a cool hobby. Fun fact- airbending was based on bagua.
>>
>>754100
>>754083
So, what's the difference? It's still walking in circle. It must be hard to fight against it with a hard style.
>>754084
>.gif
You're a triple faggot. Why don't you got your ass handled by one of you BJJ gayfriend?
>>
>>754123
The circle walking did come from taoism, it's a meditation tradition. The difference is that Dong Hai Chuan's students had different pre-existing training, and thus interpreted Bagua different ways. Yin Fu was a shaolin lohan guy, so Yin bagua has a bit more striking, makes heavy use of the 'ox tongue palm' and has animal forms. Cheng Ting Hua was a wrestler, and so his style of bagua is a lot more 'grappley'.

I don't really buy into the whole hard/soft thing. Good movement is good movement ya know, and that kind of philosophy has been used to justify a whole boatload of sub-standard training.
>>
File: spondylolisthesis.gif (22 KB, 520x571) Image search: [Google]
spondylolisthesis.gif
22 KB, 520x571
>>754080
It's bullshit as with all chinese shit which isn't sanda.

My back is shit (spondylolithesis [pic related], arthritis and scoliosis). Bjj and judo have helped me loads with back pain. I highly recommend either.
>>
>>754088
Please stop pretending to be me. It's getting old.
>>754084
I've gotten better since then, just so you know.
>>
File: WU.png (42 KB, 688x672) Image search: [Google]
WU.png
42 KB, 688x672
>>754245
No one cares, cuck. Is alison all stretched out from the BBC?
>>
>>754245
Are you really Wu? Do you wanna fight?
>>
>>754100
>>754142
i love how these CMAists cant even speak normally when talking about their shit.

fucking 1000 word paragraph of useless nothing
>>
>>754247
Don't say that. Seriously.

>>754248
Yeah, I wouldn't mind.
>>
>>754270
Or what? You'll challenge me then claim you're drunk? Do humanity a favour and an hero.
>>
>>754244
>Bjj and judo have helped me loads with back pain. I highly recommend either.
ditto
>>
>>754142
I found this looking for ox tongue palm
http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/baguaposts.htm
http://docslide.us/documents/ox-tongue-palm.html
I think I kinda understand the difference.
>>
>>754262

So CMA history doesn't interest you, no need to be all superior about it.

>>754277

Yeah, that's one of the more prominent features of yin style. Like you said though, in the end it's all walkin' in circles.
>>
I've never worked with Bagua before and all the videos on youtube I find look like shit. Overly complicated with no intent to strike through. What would you say is a good place to look at the style?
>>
>>754320
>So CMA history doesn't interest you, no need to be all superior about it.
nobody asked for a history lesson. just say whats superior/good about bagua and be done with it
>>
>>754320
No one gives a fuck about history when they're paying to learn effective combat techniques.
>>
>>754384
Some styles are too advanced for everyone to understand. I'd love to fight a bagua fighter but they're so rare, like the last air nomads.
>>
>>754080
>learning kung fucked because muh illness
Bathe in snake oil while you're at it
>>
>>754437
Pomf, you really have stepped up the quality of your bait.
>>
>>754358

Tim Cartmell or one of his students. If you don't like their stuff other examples are unlikely to be convincing.

>>754384

It's a traditional art and carries all the training drawbacks of a traditional art. Some people just like training that way.

>>754435

Because martial arts is just about fighting. Not meditation, or performance art, or having a hobby you enjoy?

Life isn't a Pokemon contest where you're just trying to out out-level everyone else dude.
>>
File: 1445739031122.png (42 KB, 688x672) Image search: [Google]
1445739031122.png
42 KB, 688x672
>>754247
>>
File: stat-2.jpg (17 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
stat-2.jpg
17 KB, 240x160
>>754518
>Life isn't a Pokemon contest where you're just trying to out out-level everyone else dude.
It's not just level, though; it's also stats.
>>
>>754518
>Tim Cartmell or one of his students
Are there any videos of them doing Bagua?
>>
>>754080
bagua is iffy to find good instructors at best. especially if you are in the west.

then again if you are doing it for your back, then it doesnt really matter.

better off doing mainstream chinese communist party approved 32 form yang style tai chi.
at least if you get good, you can compete in wushu tournaments.
plus they have weapon form wushu competitions too!
if you make something of yourself and get good, you could potentially teach it.

ofcourse, at that point you're really doing it for cultural reasons. if you want to be 2deadly go do MT or something. (ofcourse it'll fuck up your spine pretty good)

>>754244
enjoy your urinary incontinence when you get old. the problem with grappling is, you dont pay for it now, you pay for it later. you feel good now because your muscles are compensating, adding traction to realign your spine somewhat. doesnt stop your joints from getting fucked up from repeated stress though.

>>754270
are you wearing a bath robe?
>>
>>754083
Bahua tsang isn't any more proper than bagua Zhang you retard, it's just a different way of romanising Chinese into English.
>>
>>754084
>>754088
>>754247
>>754270
Hmm
>>
>>754773
IT doesn't matter if the instructor is good when they're teaching bullshit from the outset.
>>
>>754773

The gi (technical name keogi) that you wear when practicing Kara-te-do or J'iudo are technically bathrobes. What now?
>>
>>754084
>proper technique

THOSE punches.
THOSE kicks.

HAHAHA

>>754080
i would advice you to learn xing yi.
>>
>>757021
They say it goes like xing yi - bagua - tai chi.

I'd say it goes more like sanda - hung gar - wing chun - xing yi - bagua - tai chi.

As in do a hard style when you are young and learn the fundementals. As you get older and wiser, go into the more technical/ soft styles.

I always laugh when people with no experience start doing something like tai chi or aikido and then expect to know about fighting.
>>
>>757425
>bagua - tai chi
strange, I always heard that bagua was taiji's big sister.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.