[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT. I'll start. Took my first real knee (we were supposed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: 1410681057055.jpg (100 KB, 999x624) Image search: [Google]
1410681057055.jpg
100 KB, 999x624
QTDDTOT.

I'll start. Took my first real knee (we were supposed to spar lightly but my partner messed up on this one) in the ribs in muay thai and it hurts like hell. How am I supposed to take knees? What muscles (if any) should I develop to make this less painful?
And before anyone says I'm a faggot, I'm relatively old, no real fightan background and skinnyfat.
>>
You're a faggot.

Anyways,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86cQobU-n4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86cQobU-n4
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBBSLtReNk
>>
>>754027
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB7gnB31NnI
>>
>>754015

>How am I supposed to take knees?

You're supposed to create enough distance so you don't get hit. Or you parry it with the outside of the arms, just like you would do against a punch to the ribs.

If you really get hit, it's much better to get it either in the belly or at the outside (latissimus dorsi, right behind your arm defense), since there you have big muscles. Ribs are bad because they can break and you have almost no muscles there.
>>
What does it feel like to have your chest tightly against another man's chest, breathing heavily, struggling for position?
>>
>>754069
Feels pretty good. I didn't knew shit about clinching and it's a fun game.

Also thanks for previous answers.
>>
File: 8[1].jpg (204 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
8[1].jpg
204 KB, 800x1200
Is there a term in Muay Thai for this kind of kick?

"Vertical kick" just sounds boring, I need to know the term for reasons.
>>
How do I know if my leg is seriously fractured?

My low kick ended with my shin on my opponents knee. It hurt like crazy immediately and I had to stop fighting, but after a minute the pain went away and I could continue for the rest of the session. On my way home it started hurting to a point where I was limping. And now at home it hurts like crazy again and I doubt I'll get much sleep like this.

It's pretty much exactly like last time I broke my toe, except this time my whole leg is in pain. Should I go to the ER right away or wait until morning and see if it gets better?
>>
File: e5025a324f95b26770f89f95a065a6.jpg (131 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
e5025a324f95b26770f89f95a065a6.jpg
131 KB, 1600x1600
>>756402
>How do I know if my leg is seriously fractured?
With medical technology.
>>
Do pro fighters have themselves on a toilet schedule so they don't have to urinate or defecate during their fight?
>>
>>756405
How did ancient fighters know if their leg was seriously fractured?
Any records of Greek sports medicine or bone setting for fighters?
>>
>>756395
Kick of the Heavens aka The God-Killer
>>
I had a surgery a month or two ago. Ulnar release, for cubital tunnel syndrome.
My arms still suck and I can't throw elbows or risk getting thrown on the ground. Anyone here who has experience with this surgery?
I was thinking on picking up bjj, since there won't be any elbow strikes and no chance of catching a kick or knee with the elbow.
I can use my arms, just not over extend them or put pressure on the nerves.

Is doing bjj with an injury like that ok, if I tell them at first they have to watch out with my elbows? Or is it still explosive/unpredictable?
>>
I wanna be a fucking Power Ranger

What kind of martial art should I do?
>>
>>756431
I'd guess that a lot of them didn't know (how much so depending on the area and time period), but knew that they were in great pain.

Perhaps, if the fracture was severe, or if a bone was severely broken, they'd be able to feel the unaligned bone(s).

>Any records of Greek sports medicine or bone setting for fighters?
That sounds like something interesting to do some internet research on.
>>
File: 1446367185815.gif (1 MB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
1446367185815.gif
1 MB, 260x146
>>756816
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxuIkq0Qd4s
>>
>>756749
you can try, but your elbow will be hit a bunch by accident just through rolling.

people often say "i dont wanna get hit in the face so i do bjj"

im always like wtf, i take atleast 1 knee to the face every week lolz

get a mouthguard you fuck
>>
>>756816
Look up the green ranger. He's fighting CM Punk soon in the UFC.
>>
>>756422
I've heard from most trainers that their fighters don't eat or drink anything for like 3 or 4 hours before the fight so that that doesn't happen. I saw a fight a few weeks ago where a guy got choked and shat himself, you can find it online.
>>
>>756882
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFDGWxEdf6Q
>>
How do I get people to like watching me fight this much?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVgKsUL1mcY
>>
I want to practice my punches and kicks on something however I can't afford a punching bag.What are some alternatives that won't destroy my hands?
>>
>>757703

Maybe go on craigslist, find a bunch of free blankets, and wrap & duct tape them to a tree.
>>
>>757703
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi-tLkCrX1U
>>
How can a manlet beat a goliath in kickboxing?

He just sits there and throws front kicks and takes pop-shots at my head when I try to close distance.
If I get in, he guards his head and laughs while I throw body-shots right at his sternum.
If I grab his leg, he hops around and pummels my head while I struggle vainly to throw him off balance.
Then he has the gall to compliment me and ask how he did.

Is there any way I can best him without breaking the rules?
Is there any way I can best him by changing the ruleset?
>>
File: 2109270-supermanpunch.gif (109 KB, 597x407) Image search: [Google]
2109270-supermanpunch.gif
109 KB, 597x407
>>757760
>He just sits there and throws front kicks and takes pop-shots at my head when I try to close distance.
Try harder to close the distance.
Try to be less predictable, using timing and countering could be a good idea.

>If I get in, he guards his head and laughs while I throw body-shots right at his sternum.
Maybe try throwing some hooks to the lower ribs.
If you're not close enough for the hooks, you could always throw a strong front push kick, and then follow up with another kick or a strong power punch.
>>
>>757760
>If I get in, he guards his head
I remember an MMA match where a guy threw a kick when the guy getting kicked had his guard up, but the kick hit his guard and the hand of the guy who was getting kicked hit his head because of the force of the kick and KOd him or cost him the fight.
>>
File: markhuntko.webm (944 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
markhuntko.webm
944 KB, 450x338
>>757760
>he guards his head and laughs while I throw body-shots right at his sternum
You gotta learn to really get those good body shots when he covers up, try to hit the liver or spleen rather than sternum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2JhhzYqaB8
>throws front kicks and takes pop-shots at my head when I try to close distance.
You just have to learn to effectively close the distance, maybe with good head movement/footwork paired with counter punches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGrcmEEEevw
I really like to slip to the inside of the jab and throw the overhand right against taller guys. If you grab his leg the first thing I'd do is kick the other one out.

From personal experience (being a tall lankey guy, I fight like you're opponent) my weakness against some like you would probably be volume striking. If you were to throw a lot of quick punches I probably wouldn't match your speed or be able to brawl with you so I'd likely get overwhelmed and try to fight to the outside for some range
>>
>>757760
I have a similar problem constantly, being on the shorter side of things. My advice is basically the same as this guy >>757784

First off, don't take it personally when he compliments you. I don't know this guy, maybe he is a huge asshole, but there's also the possibility that he is genuinely impressed by your progress--even though you may not be aware of it. Try asking him how YOU did! He would know more about how you're fighting than any of us here, frankly (unless you upload a video of yourself).

>your approach
Yes. This is the worst part for short guys like ourselves. The good news is that, like you pointed out, the ways taller guys often try to control range are actually pretty predictable. Jabs, teeps, an inside leg kick, etc. Learn to git gud at maneuvering past these moves and set up your pocket game.
e.g. he jabs--> you slip and come in with an overhand
e.g. he teeps--> you catch and spin his leg out and come straight down his centerline
e.g. he leg kicks--> fuck it, take it, just don't let it buckle you. Try to unbalance him while he's on one leg.
Another thing to point out is don't just walk towards him. Set up angles, tack and turn.

>being aware in the pocket
This is where we belong. He may be taller and less maneuverable in this range, but he can still wreck your shit if you're not being cautious. Keep your chin in, eyes on his sternum, and hands up. Don't let him tie you up.

>going to work in the pocket
You've made it this far! WHILE MAINTAINING GOOD SPACING (i.e. don't stuff yourself) go to town on his legs and ribs. I don't know your rule set, but my personal favorite are knees to their thighs. Even at this close distance, you can mix levels of attack, and that's what really throws tall guys off when fighting manlets like ourselves.
>>
>>757792
This is all really general advice, so here's something more specific--it was one of the first approaches I learned to set up against tall guys.
>bait a jab
>slip to the inside+throw overhand right+step in
>tack to your outside while throwing a lead body hook (I like to kind of grab their guard to help my own turn+turn their guard away)
>rear uppercut
>rear leg round house (low or high, depending on where they're open)

I hope that kinda helps
>>
>>757784
>basically what I (>>757768
)said
I like the way you think.

>I fight like you're opponent
I fight similarly, too.

>If you were to throw a lot of quick punches I probably wouldn't match your speed
That's one of the places where you differ.
I've trained for a considerable amount of time with In-fighters or swarmers, my parrying barrages of quick punches was well developed. I've also trained with a Brawler for a while, so my parrying dealt with him well, and my evasion developed substantially while training with him.
My fighting style consisted of a combination of in-fighting and out-fighting, with an emphasis on out-fighting. I eventually developed my out-fighting more, worked on counter-fighting, worked on applying power attacks (basically, taking some things from the "boxer-puncher" style), and now rely on out-fighting more.
In a Boxing, Kickboxing, as well as MMA context, btw.
>>
What's the deal with karate fags and them refusing to wear headgear?
>>
Yesterday, I realized that when your sparring with bigger stronger faster and better guys who like to go hard even when the sparring is "light" or "medium".
You better throw away your kindness because they don't give a fuck, if they fuck you up.
>>
What are the MAs that put any kind of emphasis on clinch, besides Muay Thai?
>>
What's a good martial art for lanklets? 6'3" here.
>>
File: spirit-of-taekwondo-o.gif (532 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
spirit-of-taekwondo-o.gif
532 KB, 320x240
>>759275
You could kick people real good with those giraffe legs of yours.
Do some Kickboxing.
>>
>>759387
Aye aye, senpai. I actually did Taekwondo and Tang Soo Do as a kid, so I might jump back into them. Should I start back at whitebelt?
>>
What's the most stylin' martial art? Like, if someone were to watch a fight between 2 practitioners of it, which would make them go "Damn..." the most?
>>
>>754015
How do I bulk up while doing martial arts?
I'm 6'4 and really skinny, I've been doing brazillian jiu jitsu for a couple months and have notice a bit more muscle tone but that's about it
>>
>>759411
capoeira
>>
>>759418
You lift weights and eat a bunch of food. You will lose tremendous weight solely from martial arts. I went from 242 to 165 after a year of grappling. However, I got weaker on the weights because I didn't keep up with those.
>>>/fit/ can give you advice.
>>
>>759439
damn, that sucks. Why does it have such a negative effect on muscle mass?
I'm currently training 5 days a week so any idea how I could fit lifting into my routine?
>>
>>759439
>>759443
For example would it be wise to lift on bjj days? Or go to bjj on rest days?
>>
>>759424
I figured as much. Thanks senpai.
>>
>>757703
Dude I got a RDX bag for about 50 bucks. Don't tell me you're that poor.
>>
hum
>>
>>756395
Punch my balls senpai kick
>>
>>757487
Brucey always make the crowd go wild.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.