[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tips for aspiring martial artists.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 9
Newfriends often ask what style they should do so I'm going to break it down into an easy list based on country of origin for you.

>China
Completely avoid anything style from China. It's either utter bullshit or inferior to comparable styles
>Thailand
Legit as fuck. 10/10 would fuck ladyboy's with
>Japan
A bit of a mixed bag. There's some legit stuff like kyokushin, judo and shooto but plenty of bullshit like aikido, shotokan and jujutsu.
>Europe (I'm aware Europe isn't a country but I can't be fucked doing individual entries)
Generally legit. Boxing, savate, sambo and various folkstyle wrestling are all great. Systema is completely bullshit.
>Korea
All shit. You know how China is famous for shitty copies? Korea is the martial arts equivalent.
>MURRRRICA
I feel wrestling should be considered american at this point since availability is fairly hit-and-miss elsewhere. Wrestling is great. However, there's lots of bullshit involved with "homegrown systems" such as kaijukenbo
>Israel
As you'd expect of the land of trade princes the only contribution Israel makes to martial arts is scamming the goyim. Hitler literally did nothing wrong.
>>
America has some of the best MMA gyms in the world as well
>>
>>728748
Fair enough.

I also forgot brazil
>brazil
BJJ is great. Capoeria is a fucking dance.
>>
>>728760
Lets do the jenga everybody
>>
>>728737
>Systema is completely bullshit.
Why?

Just wondering.

Also I'm doing Judo, what's a good complementing striking martial art?
>>
>>728800
Muay Thai's clinch supplements judo a bunch. Can't land that judo throw well now you got openings for muay thai elbows knees and takedowns.

Systema is crap and is considered a joke in Russia which is where the system originates. Russia regulates most of its sports heavily through the government, styles like Sambo, Judo and boxing you need approval to coach and be promoted through the government to be considered a master of sport. Systema is a foo foo style non regulated with wannabe bad asses and scam artist teaching shit

You want a Russian style to learn? Sambo or Judo.
>>
>>728800
karate
become the ultimate nippon killing machine
>>
>>728802
karate specially full contact karate like kyokoshin would be good with its focus on devastating body blows and the foot sweeps from outside range would be great crossover for a judoka's foot sweeps from inside range.

Only bad thing is there is no clinching an no focus on clinch entry so there's a huge exploited hole in fighting style if you are getting outstruck from outside range but can't enter into clinch range.
>>
>>728737
>I feel wrestling should be considered american at this point since availability is fairly hit-and-miss elsewhere.
Only if we're considering other Anglo-Saxon cultures, Europe and East Asia.All of the former USSR has a wrestling culture that easily rivals the US - especially the Caucasus and Mongolia. And then there nations like Turkey, Iran, Egypt that consistently produce great wrestlers. Even black Africa has several strong wrestling traditions.
>>
>>728808
what happened to indias amazing wrestlers?
>>
>>728803

Seidokaikan and Enshin have a ton of grabbing and clinching. Enshin even actually has takedowns.

If you're into Japanese shit (and wearing a gi) you can stack up judo and one of the kyokushin offshoots just fine.
>>
>>728854
My bad, forgot about them, shame on me. The tradition still exists, luckily.
>>
Are kenpo karate and Jeet Kune Do good styles of martial arts?
>>
>>729066
JKD isn't even a martial art its a philosphy of mixing and blending styles to fit your needs. BUT there are scam artist and Bruce Lee fanboys that teach JKD as a shitty homage to Lee's Wing Chun which goes against everything Bruce Lee was trying to teach with JKD.
>>
>>728737
>Europe
not mentioning pangration
>>
>>729073
because it doesnt exist anymore dummy
>>
>>729075
And why are there schools here in Greece teaching it? (It is really rare to find one though)
>>
>>728737
Nothing wrong with specific schools of Japanese Jujutsu
>>
>>729076
the greece schools are just teaching modern mma

there are no documented sources of pankration techniques apart from pictures on amhporas
>>
>Completely avoid anything style from China.
Are you saying Jet Lee and Jackie Chan are frauds?!

No but seriously, is China really that useless?
>>
>>729117
both are actors and good stunt men and choreographers but are frauds to actual teaching someone to fight.
>>
>>729119
I know, but are there really no worthwhile Chinese martial arts?
>>
>>729122
sadly no
take China's cultural revolution and the greed of Hong Kong film making, but China's legacy martial arts are all scams and bullshit.

You might get stuff like Sanda which is fine for kick boxing, but if you expect chi blasting, chain punching, kung fu stuff like the moves its all bs.
>>
>>728737
judoka here, why don't you like aikido?
>>
I have karate, fitness kickboxing, shaolin kung fu, aikido and maybe wing chun where I'm gonna be moving to. Which of these is worthwhile?
>>
>>729146
And by worthwhile I mean which of these is the least worst?
>inb4 karate
my brother did karate and I want to learn something different
>>
>>729155

Where are you moving to? Town, State/Providence, Country. I will look up the schools and tell you what I would attend the free-trial most place have.
>>
>>729158
Duncan, BC, Canada
Nanaimo is like an hour away by car and I don't have a car so MT is out of the question for now
>>
>>729162
>Duncan, BC, Canada

I looked at the town and everything looked like complete shit, I am sorry.

Even the Karate places were terrible (the two in town had pictures on their website of kids with fake belts).

Try Black Box MMA. It's in Duncan. While I can't find a website it will likely be much better than all the other bullshit gyms I just poured through in your area.
>>
>>729165
yeah I had a feeling most of it was crap. I don't plan on staying there long, just long enough to afford moving to Victoria
>>
>>729166

The more I looked into Black Box MMA it clearly looks like a better option. They have a facebook website that I can't link because 4chan says it's spam. I found photos on their facebook of their people competing in an actual Kickboxing tournament.

Seriously go to Black Box. A few months of kickboxing is better than a decade at any of the other bullshit gyms that are in your area.
>>
>>729066
No and no
>>
>>729145
It's a fucking waste of time.

>>729146
None of the above.
>>
>>729086
There's some written accounts of fights too, but that's about it. They give insight in the rules and popular techniques, but that's about it.
>>
>>728737
Bjj, boxing and tkd here.
You're a fucking faggot. Hurr durr anything from China or Korea is bad. Have you tried any martial art from either countries? No. You just go on youtube and join the circle jerk over modern MMA. There are dozens of kung fu styles and unless you are knowledgable about all of them you have no right saying everything is bullshit.
Also China has Sanda which you MMA tapout faggots seem to love.
>>
>>729217
Hey man I'm pissed about the years I wasted on TKD too. The sooner you accept you're never getting that time back and stop defending it to avoid cognitive dissonance the happier you'll be.
>>
>>729218
Yeah im sure your first 4 months in a McDojo were absolute hell when you were 11 years old.
>>
>>729117

China has sanda, but that's basically kickboxing with takedowns.
Here and there you'll also see a sanda practitioner throw in some wacky kung fu shit, but it's rare and generally only when there's a huge skill difference, because, surprise surprise, kung fu isn't all that practical when not fighting hapless peasants.
>>
>>728801
>You want a Russian style to learn? Sambo or Judo.

This. Russia has it's own very noticeable style of Judo too, you don't see many others fight like they do, except maybe Georgia and Kazakhstan. It was even more noticeable before they took out the leg grabs.
>>
>>729230
>Good practical martial art
>b-but its just kickboxing with takedowns!
Fucking retard i swear.
>>
>>728737
What about fma, OP?
>>
>>728737
Medieval euro wrestling is pretty no-nonsense and pretty good. Ringen has a lot of good techniques, and Fiore's Arbazare has quality systematic methods, though it generally avoids groundwork.
>>729086
there are a couple of accounts of technique, but nothing nearly enough to reconstruct a system out of
>>
>>729357
It is. It's China taking Muay Thai, sprinkling some MSG on it, and then calling it "Kung Fu Free Fighting".
>>
>>729648
What time machine do you recommend to buy in order to go learn medieval wrestling? Or should we go back to the fucking frontier with Washington to learn some collar and elbow? But seriously just learn wrestling
>>
File: 1409698947888s.jpg (3 KB, 108x125) Image search: [Google]
1409698947888s.jpg
3 KB, 108x125
>>728737
What about the Phillipines?
>>
File: (265 KB, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
265 KB, 486x500
>>729384
Someone answer this man!
>>
>>728737
How's budokan? There's a dojo near my house that I'm thinking of joining. I have background in kyokushin
>>
>>728737
How's budokan?
>>
>>730407
>>730409
Sorry didn't mean to respond twice
>>
>>730409
Budokan is a stadium in Tokyo so I'm going to go ahead and say it's made up bullshit.
>>
>>730312
>kickboxing
It sucks breh its just boxing with kicks
>muay thai
Yeh its bs just kickboxing with clinch work
>bjj
Yeh fuk dat its just judo on ground

You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>729162
Hey, I live in Victoria. Duncan has a 10-pin bowling alley, so they're all right in my books.
>>
>>729145
Cause its not suitable for MMA/UFC/bashing the shit out of people.
>>
File: 1390645147174.png (58 KB, 210x300) Image search: [Google]
1390645147174.png
58 KB, 210x300
>>730415

The Budokan in Asuka is also a big fucking dojo you nob.

Source: Because I fucking train there.
>>
File: Troll_Thread1.jpg (89 KB, 496x602) Image search: [Google]
Troll_Thread1.jpg
89 KB, 496x602
>>
>>730538
No one gives a fuck about your lies, narutard
>>
>>728760
yeah but Capoeria is cool
>>
what about bujinkan?
japanese ninja stuff with dojos and so on
>>
>>730348
FMA
Good striking excellent weapon work
>>
>>731256
Literally made up bullshit
>>
File: jewjitsu.jpg (132 KB, 484x600) Image search: [Google]
jewjitsu.jpg
132 KB, 484x600
>israel
>bad
>>
File: ninjew-ninjewtsu.jpg (10 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
ninjew-ninjewtsu.jpg
10 KB, 400x320
israelian MA are the best
>>
Best MA to get fit? I hear it's TKD

I don't need to know how to fight, I just want to be more healthy.
>>
>>735938
Protip: boxing/muay thai + bjj/judo/wrestling all require far more athleticism
>>
>>735948

So just join an MMA gym?
>>
>>735938
Define your fitness goals.

Also, be aware than any TKD that gets you fit will fucking destroy your knees.
>>
>>735955
If you want. You could also google the usage of slashes in written English.
>>
>>735956

I don't know any terms, but I want to be more endurance/energy oriented than strength oriented. You don't really need a whole lot of strength, but it'd be nice to tire less easily and be able to be active for an extended period of time.
>>
>>735959
OK, here's the thing about TKD fitness.

As with most things TKD related, you only really get the good stuff from sport TKD. If you're not getting sport TKD, you got a total shit sandwich, rather then a mixed bag.

TKD is great for endurance/energy of a kind. Pretty much all your strength stuff will be fast twitch in your legs and your abdominals, though.

You will be able to move on your feet really fast without breaking a sweat.

But something like BJJ is great for long term endurance distributed across your whole body.

And boxing is fucking great for supporting weight with your legs for long periods of time.

I think the only things that really stand out about TKD fitness is flexibility and a sense of lightness. When I did just TKD I felt like my body weighed nothing.
>>
>>735962

I'm not really fixated on TKD, I just mentioned it because one of the supervisors recommended it.

I'm down for either really. Probably BJJ because I did grappling as a kid.
>>
>>735963
Good plan. I'd have to see someone else repeat my mistakes when they time could be spent on something more useful.

Look into boxing though. Shit is elder god tier cardio.
>>
>>735963
TKD will make litterally everything else easier

No martial art is harder on your cardio then TKD. There's a reason Oly matches are 3x2 min, not 3x3 min.

Having done TKD, MT, Jits, Judo, MMA

TKD is the only one that regularly made me want to spit in training.

ANYTHING that uses the legs will be made better with a TKD backround, because no other art will have you loading your whole bodyweight onto one leg, then jumping off it and using that same leg to kick.

Also, i've yet to get my knees wrecked, tho i started young and have been real careful with my knees
>>
>>728737

jujutsu is not bullshit. and hapkido comes from korea so youre wrong about that.
>>
>>728800
Use google translate on the russian comments of systama youtube videos.
>>
>>735965
Please stop shilling your mcdojo bullshit. You're time would be better spent doing bjj muay thai, judo or mma than it would be doing tae kwon do. Theres no getting around that fact.
>>
>>735965

I'm sure TKD has great cardio, but the emphasis on kicks doesn't seem very practical. I'd think that muay thai is a much better art for striking.

also, while TKD isn't bad, the fact that it's so widely popular means that it must be plagued by mcdojos.
>>
>>728800
It's literally shitty sambo with bullshit christian vodka magic. There is zero connection with any Russian armed forces that doesn't trace back to a systema organisation.
>>
>>735993
Hapikido is a shitty korean copy of daito-ryu, which is shit in the first place, with a shitty copy of shotokan (see: tkd) thrown in
>>
>>736201

so you say. it'd be helpful if there was a sober, well researched study somewhere comparing the various styles. so much bullshit OTI.
>>
>>736205
>The art adapted from Dait┼Н-ry┼л Aiki-j┼лjutsu (хдзцЭ▒ц╡БхРИц░ЧцЯФшбУ) as it was taught by Choi Yong-Sool (Hangul: ь╡ЬьЪйьИа) when he returned to Korea after World War II, having lived in Japan for 30 years. This system was later combined with kicking and striking techniques of indigenous and contemporary arts such as taekkyeon, as well as throwing techniques and ground fighting from Japanese judo.

LITERALLY SHITTY KOREAN COPY
>>
>>736223

so it's a derivative, but does that make it shitty?
>>
>>736392
You tell me
https://youtu.be/_ycLpCVJMss?t=1076
>>
If you're an aspiring pro you can go on Sherdog and look up all the active fighters associated with a specific gym/team, and find the gyms with the most successful current fighters and obviously try to train with one of them.

You probably don't want to be a pro, you risk life long injuries, chuck liddel levels of retardation, arthritis, multiple herniated discs, it's pretty much the stupidest thing you can ever do is fight for money. Here's CroCop literally breaking Gonzaga's face in half, imagine that's you eating all those elbows and what's it doing to your brain https://youtu.be/qdScynjC81w

Then remember you'll start out bush leagues so some guy could be wailing on your like that for a while until they stop it if the refs at that promotion are incompetent clowns
>>
>>736421

you haven't convinced me. besides, it emphasizes joint locks which are effective for self defense.
>>
>>736727
>effective for self defense
Except they're not because you're not going to land one on a resisting opponent
>>
>>736729

I'm aware that aikido is impractical, but I figured that hapkido, with its eclectic wide coverage, is a different case.
>>
>>736731
They're the same fucking techniques because they're offshoots of the same style. A kimchi wrist lock isn't magically higher percentage than a sushi wrist lock.
>>
>>736744

well I'm not saying rely on them, but I'm convinced that joint locks/pressure point strikes would be useful to have in your repertoire. if hapkido isn't best (since it combines them with other techniques) then what is? could japanese jujitsu replace it?
>>
>>736747
>I'm convinced that joint locks/pressure point strikes would be useful
That's because you've never fought someone actually trying to hurt you.
>>
>>736772

I'll admit that I'm a noob who's researching this stuff. I'd like to hear more opinions though.
>>
>>736773
Consider the following
>you're either in the ring or on DA STREETZ
>by some miracle you manage to catch someone's hand
>you're not in the perfect position to apply the lock (protip: you never will be) so you have to reposition
>at this point you are controlling one of his hands with two of yours
>you then get KTFO by his other hand
This is why fancy wrist locks are retarded.

The only time they have any relevance are during grappling. Either against a wall/cage or on the ground. Even then it's only useful for surprise as you're still giving up both hands for one of theirs.
>>
>>736777
this sounds like you have a very limited understanding of things.
I'm not even advocating joint grabs, I'm just pointing out how retarded your logic is
Btw the whole "catch" somebody's hand thing is retarded. You use a forearm block not a boxing parry and then you rotate your wrist and grab them off of the block, just saying, again, that I'm just pointing out how large your mouth is vs how much you know
>at thist point your controlling his hand
>you get KO'd by his other hand
Ever hear about the whole, get your lead foot outside of his lead foot thing?
That thing where all you can do is create distance and then reset or immediately try to shift so that you're still facing them?
Have you ever tried to land punches with a hand on the side of the opposite shoulder
Need I say, the real point of a joint lock is to break the joint, not to stand there gawking saying "I'm gonna break it"
Again, I don't even advocate standing grapples or grappling, I need to work on my grapple game. I'm just pointing out how shitty your post was
>>
>>729384
good as a complementary martial art if you want to add weapons to your training.
Not good if its theonly thing you train
>>
>>736421
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgr8KXQJtY
>>
>>736806

you responded before I got back to this thread. I was going to say that in jiujitsu, you use forearms to block an attack, then you go from there into a lock/throw.
>>
>>728737
Why is Kaijukenbo crap? It's supposedly a deadly self defense style created for da streets.
>>
>>737245
You answered your own question
>>
What about Indonesian Pencak silat? ;3
>>
been thinking about starting savate once I get the ability to move, I was wondering where I can find good gyms, there's a gym in helsinki but the problem is that I can't speak finnish that good, so if I want to start I have to move
>>
File: 1440139945666.gif (1 MB, 245x220) Image search: [Google]
1440139945666.gif
1 MB, 245x220
such a great threatтАж
>>
>All shit. You know how China is famous for shitty copies? Korea is the martial arts equivalent.
T-tang soo :(
>>
>>729162
When you do get a car, you should totally check out CJ. The owners are pretty cool. Also, when the fuck did downtown duncan get that nice?
>>
>>738405
I might be moving to nanaimo in a couple years anyway, so I'll be able to try out CJ's, but I'll be moving to duncan first. And yea downtown duncan is pretty nice, they've even got a hot yoga studio
>>
>>728737
>Put boxing under Europe and not America or at least Mexico
Nigga you fucked up
>>
I have recently stated mt and I have some boxing back round. That being said I am pretty comfortable with traditional boxing stance as opposed to mt dominant leading stance. Will knees and kicks be effectived negatively by not using dominate leg? I know I can train compensate but I want to start off on the best foot forward.(pun kinda intended)
>>
What are people's opinions on Hung Gar?
>>
>>739555
its the style that Earth bending is based on and technically Toph was the best fighter in Avatar. Sounds like its underrated for combat.
>>
>>739555
As useless as very other kung fu bullshit
>>
So what would you guys recommend to me if I wanted to just learn flashy shit you see in movies and video games.

I'm an aspiring actor so I want to learn stuff the looks the business, not necessary practical like BJJ
>>
>>739581
Tricking
>>
>>739582
Can you teach yourself that shit? (currently in a city with no tricking community but will be moving in a year) and should I supplement it with something else flashy like tae kwon do? Or something practical like judo or boxing, or just focus on tricking
>>
Hey, the birthday hat aligns perfectly with the girl in the OP picture.
>>
File: 1442372647651.jpg (33 KB, 334x750) Image search: [Google]
1442372647651.jpg
33 KB, 334x750
>>735938
Rippetoe Jutsu
Zyzz Boxing
Scooby Karate
Etc
>>
Just out of curiosity, is Japanese jujustsu complete bullshit, or just has a lot of bullshit.
>>738490
Does Mexico have a martial art? Or is it a "they got fucked so hard that even if they did, we don't fucking know anymore" situation.
>>
>>740645
Has a lot of bullshit. But managed to spawn great descendent arts.

Part of the problem is the less bullshit a JJJ program has, the more likely it is to just call itself Judo.

>Does Mexico have a martial art?
Boxing.
>>
>>740649
>But managed to spawn great descendant arts
That's why i was curious
And I meant if they had some freaky old tribal stiff or something, though I guess not, I just wondered since I already knew they're good at boxing.
>>
>>735938
Capoeira
>>
>>740602
>Scooby Karate
>Not Scooby Do
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.