[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, with this dude's anniversary recently, and the Y2J podcast,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: foreshadowing.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
foreshadowing.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
So, with this dude's anniversary recently, and the Y2J podcast, I've been listening to some shit and thinking.
Whether or not people can divide the Man and the worker is always a talking point, so, can you, /wwe/?
Can you separate what he did, and enjoy what he was? And can you understand the contrary viewpoint?
Personally, I have no issue watching his matches, and can't really understand why people are so off-put by it that they can't set it aside and savour his ability.
>>
Yes and yes
>>
>>1438658
He had the feud ever with Angle. Maybe he did it, maybe he didn't. I would want him back in WWE history because of his work.
>>
You can seperate Chris Benoit as a person from Chris Benoit as a wrestler, yes. He's one of the greatest of all time in my opinion, so yeah I'm a bit biased but I don't see how what he did should impact his career.
>>
>>1438658
Who is that?
>>
no he is a black-eye on the company and even the industry as a whole.

keep him a nonperson forever
>>
>>1438783
+1 upboat good sir :^)
>>
I can't watch his matches with the same emotional investment anymore, but I still appreciate his in-ring ability
>>
>>1438658
You can't. Conversations about how talented he was end up with questions of "why is he forgotten?"
>>
>>1438658
He looks like a guy who has autism even before doing flying headbutts.
>>
>>1438658
I'll do you one further, I can divide the worker and by all accounts supremely likeable person everyone was and still is willing to say that he was from the man that lost his mind to accumulated brain trauma and did something terrible when he wasn't thinking straight. The reactions to his passing before details came to light paint the picture of someone truly loved.

I still enjoy his matches and I think him being unpersoned to this day is harsh. At the same time, I do cringe a little when I see him do flying headbutts or take chairshots to the noggin and can understand why WWE wouldn't want to be associated with someone who killed his family.

Best course of action, in my opinion, would for WWE to slowly work him back into their history and place a shitload of focus on establishing that he was a terrific guy who put so much in the business that he ended up losing his mind in a tragic turn of events, and that we should remember Chris Benoit the friend, family man and incredible talent and work towards making sure pro wrestling is a safer pursuit. Hell this even lets them promote their own safety practices and whatnot.
>>
>>1438831
>by all accounts supremely likeable person everyone was
bullshit, he was a fucking bully
>family man
lol
>>
Adorno wrote an essay about this using the example of the poet William Butler Yeats. Yeats was a brilliant poet and vital part of the gaelic revival in ireland but also held very fascist ideals and endorsed terrorism against the UK ruling powers. I suggest you read it if you have issues divorcing a man from his work or vice versa.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.