[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New kendo thead - nito edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
how do you deal with this fucking heat?
>>
>>1437279
ravnice?
>>
>>1437279
As someone who knows very little about Kendo other than reading the rules on wikipedia and a few threads on 4chan, how do parries/general defensive play work? The rules don't seem to incorporate anything like right of way in sport fencing,so is there any incentive in a competitive match to do anything other than go for the opponent's target as fast as possible?
>>
>>1437279
>kendo club in my area
>cheap fees ($25 a month)
>tfw poorfag & can't afford the equipment
>>
>>1438820
Kendo is mainly attack. Defense is an antiquated holdover we inherited from the koryu that created kendo.
>>
>>1437279
You gotta Bokken?

https://youtu.be/PbhG7l-uNhM
>>
>>1438945
Most weapons-based clubs will loan you equipment, bro.
>>
>>1439229
Really? I didn't want to be that guy. It would take me 2-3 paychecks to get a bogu. I have shitty shinai and Bokken though.

Will they think I'm a fag?
>>
>>1437279
So kendo tends to have a strong aversion to unothrodox moves right?

for instance I was reading about how there are attacks which are technically legal but would only rarely be rewarded a point.

Is this just the case for tournament play? would that kind of thing get you disapproval in normal practice as well?
>>
>>1438820
defence is permited but only if you launching counteratack afterwords. In short, in kendo onece you make or notice an oportunity you attack, and the attack is not stoped until the ippon is scored or there is no chanse/ room to make an ippon. So, if you defend, you break your kame (cambat stance) and if you manage to blok first atack he will go to the second target and then it is hard to blok again. You are thougt to use oiji waza insted of bloking (the tehniks in which oponent atacks you), but even then you cannat thrust only your refleces, you must make pressure and force oponent to atack
>>
>>1439241
Any decent club has extra equipment on hand for people to use if something happens or guests come for trial classes or seminars. If you decide to stick around it's expected that you buy your own gear but to start out you're fine borrowing.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.