[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone under 50 prefer Hogan over Austin?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10
File: BkpftxoCIAA1LNQ.jpg (42 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
BkpftxoCIAA1LNQ.jpg
42 KB, 600x300
I cannot see any reason you would think Hogan was better other than growing up around Hulkamania.

Austin is superior in every way.
>>
>>1415474
Was this ever an argument?
>>
>>1415492
seen lots of people saying Hogan was better
>>
I like them for different reasons. Hulkamania era Hogan is the archetype for a pure babyface in my mind. Stone Cold is the blue collar everyman and a stand in for every mark that ever wished they could stick it to their boss. They both have their place.
>>
>>1415474
I feel like they're results of their time.

Personally i would soon pick Austin everytime over Hogan, but you watch classic Hogan cut a promo and christ he smokes literally everyone not named Paul Heyman in the current roster.
>>
>>1415474

I'm 36 and I like Hogan more.

>in every way.
Hogan drew more money and was a much better heel.
>>
That age is way off. Over 50 would have never liked Hogan to begin with. That would be like implying that people over 30 like Cena now. He was a kid friendly character in a kid driven era.

Twenty somethings would only like Austin because they've only ever known an old, internet-age Hogan.

Mid 30s, as long as they're being objective, would consider both goat-tier. Around 6-10 they saw Hogan in his prime, during an era where that character wasn't at all passe. He was a live action cartoon character for kids, on a completely kid focused product.

By the time they hit their edgy 16-18 year old phase Hogan was old news, and Austin seemed like a gift from the gods.
>>
>>1415521
>Hogan drew more money
This is about personal preference not who is more famous
>>
i liked mr america
>>
>>1415521

Over the course of their respective careers, yes. Hogan drew more money. Hogan had a longer career and spent more time at the top, while Austin's career was shortened by injuries.

But if you compare what Austin did per year at his peak vs Hogan, Austin is probably the bigger draw. Even Vince has said Austin was the best money guy the company ever had.
>>
>>1415567
I loved them both at different times and for different reasons, but Austin only really drew money for Vince.

While I have no doubt that Austins money was astronomical, in fairness Hogan drew a lot of money for Vince too. And then his heel turn, drew a shit ton of money away from Vince and towards the competition.

I don't doubt Vince, but unlike him we have the benefit of seeing the whole picture whereas I'm more and more convinced he isn't aware that live exists outside of the WWE Universe.
>>
Hated Hogan until I watched Hogan vs Rock again recently and did a complete 180. What a fucking legend

>>1415567
How many times has Hogan burned Vince? Of course Vince would pick the person who saved the company over someone who has fucked him over repeatedly
>>
>>1415633
Also

Hogan came back during the period where WWE arguably had his best roster ever (Rock/Austin/Taker/HHH/Jericho/Angle etc) and was by far the most over person in the company. He got standing ovations everywhere he went for almost a month. You have to give him credit for that
>>
>>1415636
he got a nostalgia reaction it lasted a few weeks
>>
>>1415638
Wrong

When the nWo debuted, he was immediately the most over person on the roster and the nWo were getting cheered over Rock/Austin (Scott Hall was getting some cheers over Austin at 18 also). Then when Hogan turned face, he got those standing ovations until he won the belt off HHH then got big pops for the rest of his run. Watch the McMahon WM match again, him hulking up got the biggest reaction of the night (again)
>>
>>1415474
Im 29
Hulkamania and superhero Hogan was on another level from MUH BEER MUH MIDDLE FINGER MUH EDGY SWEAR WORDS

Hogan made the business
>>
>>1415640
his run as champ had no effect on business, it was just WWE fans happy to see Hogan back after so long. Austin/Rock where still bigger draws at the time
>>
>>1415567
>Vince has said Austin was the best money guy the company ever had.

>Vince
>ever not exaggerating shit
>>
>>1415644
>Austin
>Draw after WM17

His heel run killed his drawing power. He did fuck all when he turned again besides beat Scott Hall and run away from Lesnar. WM18 was sold on Hogan/Rock, every poster was Hogan/Rock and the go home show ended with Hogan and the nWo standing tall. Austin wasn't a factor
>>
File: 1466637890589.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1466637890589.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>1415646
>Addressing his box office drawing power, McMahon and former WWE executives Jim Ross and Paul Heyman have declared Austin to be the most profitable wrestler in the history of the organization. Ross asserted: "Nobody touches Austin... No-one generated more cash in the length of their WWE career".[9] Industry veterans and multiple-time WWE Champions Ric Flair, John Cena and CM Punk have each named Austin as the biggest star in WWE history, and, along with McMahon, have stressed that he surpassed the popularity of Hulk Hogan.

you know more than all these people I guess
>>
>>1415644
> its another fat wrestling fan talks about muh draw post
Yawn
>>
>>1415651
I could lose a few pounds but I am not that fat mate
>>
>>1415649
Again, why would they pick someone who tried to kill WWF over someone who saved it?

The fact is if Verne Gagne didn't cuck Hogan out of the belt and Hulkamania stayed in AWA, the wrestling business would look alot different
>>
>>1415641

This. Same age. Austin was ok, but to anyone who saw Hogan in his prime, the dude was Wrestling. Honestly, despite him being a shit person outside the ring, classic Hulk Hogan is deffo GOAT (And I say this as a total Savage mark)
>>
>>1415653
another way of looking at it Hogan was a Vince guy he hand picked him. Austin was brought in as the fucking ringmaster to be mid card for life.

So surely he should be sucking Hogans dick right?
>>
>>1415641

Hogan made the business. Stone Cold saved it.
>>
>>1415663
Yep
I was a Bret and Rick Rude mark and knew Hogan's matches were kinda shitty even then, but like you said Hogan was wrestling
He is without a doubt the GOAT, no contest
>>
>>1415666
If you believe Vince handpicked Hogan and made him a star you need to do your history

Hulkamania started in AWA and Hogan was the top babyface in the country long before he stepped foot in the WWF again. Vince needed him more than the other way around

Verne Gagne trying to push Hogan as a heel then bitterly never giving him the belt once he finally turned him was the beginning of the end for territories around the country. Would Piper, Savage, etc have made the jump if Hogan was making a shitload of money for the AWA as the champ? Who knows, but Vince benefited more off Hogan than the other way around
>>
>>1415648

15 million Austin 3:16 shirts sold in the first year alone.
>>
22 and Hogan is the GOAT

Despite missing both of Hogans big runs, they don't miss their mark on me when I rewatch what he did.
>>
>>1415676
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNSg8tRWZQQ#t=2m25

The greatest IC champ ever explains it better than me
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>1415652

>I could lose a few pounds but I am not that fat mate
>>
>>1415495

Where?

Don't lend ANY credence to anything said on /asp/. These people are either trolls, contrarians trying to make themselves feel smarter by being wrong about something, or legitimate fucking retards.

I can't understand how anyone, even if they grew up during Hulkamania, would think Hulk was better than Austin if they sat down and thought about it even a little. You'd have to be some level of Jim Cornette OMG CLOSED FISTS ARE ILLEGAL GUISE STOP HAVING FUN dipshit purist to not consider Austin to be GOAT, and even then, that sort is GUARANTEED to hate Hogan for his fucking HORRIBLE work rate and cancerous politicking.
>>
Austin better in everyway, Hogan has zero great matches and was a utter and total cunt who tried to get all his mates over, whenever he could. Wrestlemania 9 or whatever cease palace one the ending Jesus Christ. He always stole other people's moments by coming out and celebrating with them. Also no sold everyone's shit.

Austin never played the cunt card to bad, yeah he left and didn't wanna job Brock but it was a jobbing on television. Also Austin could do heel and face. Hogan only turned heel because he realised the fans hated his shit. No fans ever hated Austins shit so bad he had to turn heel.
>>
>>1415688
>muh work rate

That didn't stop him from getting the biggest pops of the shows from the beginning to the end of his career, did it? He got the biggest pop in TNA history for fuck sake, 30 years after he became the face of wrestling.

The Mount Rushmore of wrestling is always agreed on Hogan/Rock/Austin/someone. Those 3 are consensus on 99% of peoples list, the 4th spot is up for debate
>>
>>1415574

>Hogan . . . drew a shit ton of money away from Vince and towards the competition

And the only thing that saved WWE's ass was a combination of Austin being better IN EVERY RESPECT and Hogan killing WCW with his bullshit.

Austin, at his peak, is the undisputed overall GOAT. There are a handful that are better at pure ring work, but no one has EVER been more over or EVER drew more money per show than Austin did.
>>
>>1415692
>Wrestlemania 9

Hey Bret I know you're still upset but did you hear the pop Hogan got in the building when he won? I think you did

>No sold everyone's shit

Are you being ironic? His gimmick was a sympathetic babyface who suffered huge beatdowns and made the big comeback at the end, he was a fantastic seller and got the crowds sympathy

>Austin isn't a cunt
Something that immediately comes to mind is Austin not letting HHH pin him in the triple threat he was in with Mankind at Summerslam, which is why HHH got the belt off him the next night on Raw.

>Austin could do heel
Are you really comparing a heel run that damn near destroyed the business to a heel run that beat WWF for 84 weeks?
>>
>>1415641

Hogan was irrelevant. He was just in the right place at the right time. They could have made a half dozen guys as big as Hogan if they deigned to.

All Hogan ever actually did was hold the business back with his egomania and politicking, including killing both WCW and TNA. The sorry state of North American wrestling today can largely be attributed to Hogan. If it weren't for his stupid ass, WWE would have some halfway respectable competition around keeping them halfway decent.
>>
>>1415696
>Hogan killed WCW meme

18+, stop taking The Death of WCW by Alvarez as Gospel
>>
>>1415673
Hogan has never had any matches you could say were great.

Austin had loads and broke his neck and then changed his style. He was a technical guy who could with Bret at his level. Then he became a badass brawler punch kick kinda guy. Hogans wrestling never changed at all, I am willing to bet if Hogan was allowed anywhere near wwe again and was wrestling he would have the extact same style as he did in the 80s
>>
>>1415700
That explains why Hogan was the biggest babyface in the country in the AWA before he stepped foot in WWF, doesn't it?

People who hate Hogan really are delusional
>>
>>1415681
ah Vince, Heyman, Flair, Cena and JR say Austin was a bigger star.

But the HONKY TONK MAN says it was Hogan

CASE CLOSED
>>
>>1415688
> reads multiple posts telling him why
> nu-uh! You are all just trolls!
Lol

People have different opinions and like other things to you
Talk to your autism counsellor, she can tell you more

Being edgy loses its sparkle quickly, Austin was edgy as fuck and got boring very quickly. Owen did us all a favour when he snapped his neck and shortened his career, i was already sick of him by 2001
>>
>>1415696
Hogan didn't kill WCW on his own. What killed it was the bullshit politics that Hogan had mastered in the WWF.

Jesus Christ who gives wrestlers contracts where they get creative control over there characters.
>>
>>1415705
That literally was only about Austin selling shirts
>>
>>1415695

>That didn't stop him from getting the biggest pops of the shows from the beginning to the end of his career, did it?

You are fucking delusional. The only reactions he got by the end of his WCW run were groans and people changing the fucking channel.

Which was the same reaction he got throughout the early 90s before the heel turn, ESPECIALLY when we was with the WWF.

>He got the biggest pop in TNA history for fuck sake, 30 years after he became the face of wrestling.

Which was a nostalgia pop, and he promptly set about ruining whatever over he had, and killing the company with his ineptitude.
>>
Why do people care who Vince or WWE calls the GOAT on a random week?

When the Rock had his birthday celebration to close the fucking show, he was the GOAT
When Austin got put in the HOF, he was the GOAT
When Taker was 20-0, he was the GOAT
When Cena stepped in the ring at MITB, JBL called him the GOAT
When Hogan came back after TNA, he was the GOAT

They'll shill whatever is relevant
>>
>>1415700
Post birth certificate now
I guarantee you are younger than 24
>>
>>1415706

>Being edgy loses its sparkle quickly, Austin was edgy as fuck and got boring very quickly. Owen did us all a favour when he snapped his neck and shortened his career, i was already sick of him by 2001

The lack of self awareness displayed in these two sentences is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>1415709

>there characters

Though seriously, I'm 99% certain that if half the current WWE roster had some level of creative control (or at least some goddamn input), the product would be IMMENSELY better.
>>
>>1415699 im guessing you didn't know how over Bret was at the time?

And oh wow someone was a cunt to triple h boo hoo boo hoo, poor little triple H never was ever a cunt. Such a lovely no poltics kind of guy.

You wanna know why WCW did so well it was because wwf was making booking decisions like Hogan at WRestlemania 9 basically shiting on Bret Hart.
>>
>>1415712
What Hogan did to TNA was pure evil. He brought back the Nasty boys for fuck sake the fuckin nasty boys
>>
>>1415712
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiYslCI-N8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Os1uo9dNWk#t=5m13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6-Vwly6v0M
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2okq8_hogan-v-flair-superbrawl-99_sport 12:14 (most underrated pop of all time)

try again

>>1415719
Why when Hogan fucks someone over, it was him being an asshole but when Austin does it it was a good thing and that guy deserves it? The double standards are amazing, literally everyone who was a top guy besides The Rock played politics
>>
>>1415717
yeah that's because Kevin Nash isn't around anymore.
>>
>>1415724
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_itzww0XTo forgot this

Hogan wasn't finished in WCW until 2000, then he came back in 2002 and got 15 minute standing ovations
>>
>>1415699

>His gimmick was a sympathetic babyface who suffered huge beatdowns and made the big comeback at the end, he was a fantastic seller and got the crowds sympathy

Do you even listen to yourself you fucking idiot mark. Hogan would soak up all the offense, and then no sell it to hit his shitty move and WINLOL

He was the SuperCena that ruined everything before SuperCena was.
>>
>>1415715
Welcome to 4chan. Where people seriously think Hogan was good at anything. Also the handlebars say what you like about Austin he isn't going to look stupid in 30 years time. Hogan looks stupid right now. Never see a Austin sex tape or him getting banned by wwe for calling people niggas. Hogan was nothing more then a pop pretty much the wwes version of the Sandman.
>>
>>1415730
>No sold everyones shit
>Sells the whole match until the finish

kek

Are you going to shit on Taker for not selling anything too during his early run? It was their gimmick and they made a shitload of money for them off it
>>
>>1415731
I've never seen Hogan beat his wife either
>>
>>1415731
> still this bitter

> Hogan was nothing more then a pop pretty much the wwes version of the Sandman.
Now im starting to get the feeling you are just b8ing us
>>
>>1415474
Austin > Rock > Hogan

This is the consensus. Steve's stats were all a 10 e.g. character, workrate, catchphrases, mic work. He was basically the best because he had it all. Yes his workrate wasn't the same after he broke his neck, but he was still better than Rock or Hogan even so.

I wouldn't even have Hogan up there, he's Cena tier. I'd have Flair and Savage over him. Then it'd be like this...

Flair > Austin > Savage > Rock
>>
>>1415740
Flair and Savage were never at any point bigger than Hogan in either promotion

Rock/Austin are the only people you can put over Hogan in a "GOAT" argument. Hogan shits on them in longevity while they shit on him in match quality.
>>
How the fuck can ANYONE argue that Hogan was a bigger draw than Austin when Hogan killed any company that wouldn't get rid of his with how much of a draw he and his shit WASN'T?
>>
>>1415746
Austin was a draw for 3 years while Hogan was a draw for combined more than a decade
>>
>>1415746
yup you would think his time in TNA would answer all questions. He was a fucking disaster and made no difference.
>>
File: 1442812074602.gif (3 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1442812074602.gif
3 MB, 200x200
I'm afraid there's no debate to be had.

By every available metric - merchandise sales, money earned, television ratings, you name it - Austin is the biggest star in WWE history.

Austin was the top earner and top merchandise seller every single year during the Attitude Era, except one, where The Rock was top of merchandise sales only. That coincided with Austin having neck surgery and missing many months (story wise, when Rikishi ran him over).

The most viewed segment of Raw is a Steve Austin match. The most sold t-shirt in history is the Austin 3:16 shirt. They sold 10 million of that single design, nevermind his other merchandise.

2000 was The Rock's only comparable year to the success Austin had in 1998, 1999 and early 2001. And even in 2000, despite being injured, Austin was the second biggest money spinner. The Rock was nowhere near in 1998, for example.

You might think Hogan competes, especially if you throw nWo stuff in too, but he's actually quite a way off in terms of merchandise and things of that nature.
>>
>>1415749
His time in TNA where he was 60 years old and didn't wrestle definitely discredits the rest of his career, you're right
>>
>All these kids trying to compare Austin in his prime to Hogan past his prime

It's like you love your edge-tacular hugboxes or something.
>>
>>1415758
kys grandpa
>>
>>1415760

Choke me out with my catheter if you've got the scrote for it sonny, or have your balls not dropped yet?
>>
>>1415740
> Flair
Ahahhahahahhaha

Flair and especially savage do not even enter the converstaion.
>>
>>1415756
Simple

Imagine an NBA player averages 40 points/7 rebounds/12 assists for 4 seasons straight, wins 4 championships and 4 MVPs and dominates the league. The 5th season, his stats drop off quite a bit but he's still in the top portion of players. Then, he has a career ending injury and is forced to retire

Now imagine a different NBA player averages 28 points/7 rebounds/10 assists for 13 years, wins 7 championships and 5 MVPs. He then gets old, isn't the same player and retires.

Hogan has the greatest longevity ever out of a top star and Austin has the greatest peak. People can value one over the other
>>
>>1415740
By the merch Hogan was greater, sure. But nobody is ever going to say Hogan is all encompassing GOAT over Flair. Flair destroys him in everything but drawing money. And it's not like Flair did shabby on that end. The man kept the NWA, Crockett, and early WCW going for almost 2 decades. His first run in WWE did good business too. He at least drew better than Bret, Shawn, Taker, and Disel.
>>
>>1415770

Don't forget the second player also drove TWO franchises into financial ruin with his prima donna bullshit.

And also only averaged 12 PPG because he wasn't a very good basketball players, just a good post game interview.
>>
>>1415780
The first franchise was at the tail end of his career and his teammates fell off too, it wasn't him just playing bad. He did very well for them for awhile

The second franchise he was the coach and not a player so it's irrelevant
>>
>>1415773
The only thing Flair ever destroyed was credibility. Credibility in himself and credibility in his beloved NWA title when he took it to WWF

Flair couldnt even draw 1000 people to a 85000 seat stadium in the biggest match of his career
>>
File: wcw-collision-in-korea.jpg (40 KB, 330x512) Image search: [Google]
wcw-collision-in-korea.jpg
40 KB, 330x512
>>1415796
State of anti-Flair cucks
>>
>>1415805
Wasnt that the free event in north korea where the evil despotic tyrant forced his citizens to attend?
Why are you posting that?
>>
File: WCW_Starrcade_1984.jpg (30 KB, 270x419) Image search: [Google]
WCW_Starrcade_1984.jpg
30 KB, 270x419
>>1415807
Triggering >>(You).
>>
>>1415474
No one ever preferred Hogan over Austin.
>>
File: 425234.jpg (51 KB, 430x700) Image search: [Google]
425234.jpg
51 KB, 430x700
Hogan>Austin
>>
File: puppets.jpg (795 KB, 1248x718) Image search: [Google]
puppets.jpg
795 KB, 1248x718
>>1415474

>Austin is superior in every way.
I simple missed the Austin era.
WWE wasn`t on TV in germany that time and so I used to watch WCW 1996-2002.
But looking back i think you cant compare Austin to Hogal, cause it was more like Vince and Austin.
Vince was great as heel and thats what adds to Austin as babyface.

So overall I think Hogan, for himself, was better than Austin.
He made WWF great and he made WCW great.
He had a much bigger impact on popkulture.
>>
>>1415474
Anti-smarks on this board prefer Hogan because he drew more
>>
>>1415821
> memespeak
> mfw they still had over 250 shirts after the event
>>
File: Me-and-my-fedora.jpg (37 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Me-and-my-fedora.jpg
37 KB, 480x640
>>1415474
>I tend to believe that Austin is better overall. His microphone and in-ring skills are far superior to Hogan's. His charisma and unique character gave us the best Wrestling era. Plus, Hogan is a racist, and i find racists repugnant.
>>
>>1415521
>Hogan drew more money
No, he literally didn't. Austin is the biggest draw in professional wrestling history.
>>
>>1415526
>He was a kid friendly character in a kid driven era.
The 80's were definitely not a kid driven era in wrestling.
>>
File: Not_a_kids_cartoon.jpg (166 KB, 1284x722) Image search: [Google]
Not_a_kids_cartoon.jpg
166 KB, 1284x722
>>1418053
>The 80's were definitely not a kid driven era in wrestling.
>>
Hogan in his prime couldn't wrestle half as good as Austin after a broken neck.
>>
>>1415705
You didn't even watched the video, do you?
There he explains how it was more accesible to anyone to buy a Austin t-shirt (easily available on fuckin Walmart and common stores) compared to a Hogan t-shirt in that time (only available mostly in arenas)
>>
>>1415474
Hogan is better.

He was a draw EVERYWHERE, thats why he makes cameos in japanese products (Like the NWO in Persona 2 and the Hogan shadow in Persona 3)
>>
Rock>Hogan>Austin >>>>>> Cena
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.