[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This place might as well be wrestling. I mean, there's one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 19
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 650x433
This place might as well be wrestling. I mean, there's one judo thread and tons of nonsensical shit posts.

Martial arts thread I guess. Question of the day: can CMA under the right circumstances be a valid form of martial arts? And traditional jujutsu vs bjj.
>>
File: 1454687307331.png (123 KB, 1000x1734) Image search: [Google]
1454687307331.png
123 KB, 1000x1734
>>1406099
>This place might as well be wrestling.

You can thank /sp/ for that.
>>
this is literally a containment board for wrestling faggots.

this is probably the worst board on the site.
>>
>>1406099
>This place might as well be wrestling.
And theres now a flood of Roman Reigns suspended thread's
>>
File: DSC03987.jpg (122 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSC03987.jpg
122 KB, 1024x768
>>1406099
traditional jujutsu covers an entirely different environment than bjj. If your dealing with someone attacking you with a tanto or a similar weapon, than koryu jujutsu is probably a better choice.

http://www.shinyokai.com/Essays_Whatisjujutsu.htm
>>
>>1406226
What kind of jujutsu do you do anon? Ever sparred a bjj guy?

I do daito-ryu and daiwado and about a year and a half in I sparred bjj guys and couldn't tap any of them...
>>
>>1406138

we were happy with our general on /sp/ we got sent here and now only the fat virgins post here what do you expect
>>
>>1406099
What kind of martial arts do you guys do? Shorinji Kempo practitioner here, I love the feelgood atmosphere at the dojo.

I'd have to say like jujutsu because BJJ relies more on physical strength due to the complexion of brazilians, and that makes it not for everyone. The less physical strength you need, the better a martial art is.
>>
>>1406900
Can't you calm it down a little? I mean I know you got kicked off of /sp/ but it's getting ridiculous.

Anyways, back to the topics at hand.

Traditional Chinese martial arts to me are very unwieldy in combat unless you have some sort of weapon. Especially the Chinese internal arts. I find it intriguing that mas oyama was beaten by a taijiquan guy, but for the most part cma is too fanatical for practical fighting purposes.

Which makes me wonder what is the purpose behind the Chinese flowery methods? Why make fighting styles ornate instead of destructive?

Even Bruce lee seems faulty compared to professional fighters. Cung le is the only MMA guy I know of that uses a Chinese exponent of sanda.
>>
>>1406927
I'd actually argue against that. Good groundwork requires leverage, timing, and an understanding of body mechanics which bjj has in spades. Usually the best bjj guys are small and appear weak.

Japanese jujutsu encompasses Brazilian jujutsu, and I would say at a certain level it provides more fighting opinions than Brazilian jujutsu. Japanese jujutsu takes far more time to get good, and many of the traditional techniques are outdated. Bjj is far more relevant in modern culture since we are not all killing each other in wartime, and fights are always going to the ground at some point.

I actually practice xingyiquan a bit, and a little jujutsu. Xingyiquan helps to close the gap, jujutsu is good for finishing the job. I love wrestlers and bjj guys though, they are so technical and quick.
>>
>>1406099
Is that Wizard Con
>>
>>1406938
>Why make fighting styles ornate instead of destructive?

Martial arts schools were profitable businesses. The arts evolved over time to stress looking cool over being effective. The more impressive a style seems, the more students it could attract and the more money the masters could make. The training methods and teachings they use are all set up in a way that makes it impossible for anyone to realize that nothing they're learning works in a real fight. If you tell everyone to pull their punches in sparring, it slows down their punches so much that what you're doing is completely unlike a real fight. It allows people to get away with unrealistic blocks and other movements.

This evolution of CMA are why they're useless as a practical martial art. CMA masters are more masters of marketing than a true martial art.
>>
>>1407018
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YVXr5J5ARGs

God this sparring is terrible.
>>
File: Master-Sam-Chin-e1450718676597.jpg (124 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Master-Sam-Chin-e1450718676597.jpg
124 KB, 900x600
>>1406938
Some TCMA havent been used in serious fighting for generations, Certainly they have not been stress tested and modified to deal with the latest fighting styles for the ring.

This does not mean they are not at their core effective fighting systems, nor does it mean there are not exceptions
>>
File: be like water.jpg (55 KB, 290x492) Image search: [Google]
be like water.jpg
55 KB, 290x492
>>1406938
>Chinese flowery methods?
Taoism.
>>
A strategy should be basic, laying the foundation for more intricacies.
A strategy should involve many sub strategies.
Sub strategies should be numerous, and have their own tactic and techniques.
Tactics should be numerous, and consist of their own techniques.

This leaves a well developed plan, but a plan that is not rigid, as to allow for adaptation, adaptation that was planned out.
>>
Small guy looking for a martial art.

There's a place near me that teaches tang soo do/karate. So it has kicks and punches. In addition there is some boxing applied to the training as well. Would this be good for me? 5'8" 165 lbs.
>>
>>1408078
Do you have the website? Post it. I think bjj and judo are great for small guys since their base comes from Japan. Japanese martial arts are great for small guys.
>>
bjj man
>>
Check it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BOg4pGr3nI
Marcelo Garcia
>>
>>1406099
>can CMA under the right circumstances be a valid form of martial arts?

This is a loaded question. Before anyone can't answer it truthfully, you need to survive what the "right circumstances" are
>>
>>1406938
>mas oyama was beaten by a taijiquan guy
This story is bogus. It only has one source (that cma nutriding page hosted on megasites). I tracked down and spent a hefty chunk of money on Oyama's book that supposedly tells that story, but it is not in there.
>>
>>1408273
BJJ isn't even Japanese. Karate is Japanese.
>>
>>1408622
Brazilian jujutsu is Japanese jujutsu with a stronger emphasis on groundwork.

>>1408329
Is it? One of his past students told the story and there are lineages of kyokushin with a taijiquan emphasis.
>>
>>1408674
The story in question seems to not only have no sources from the Oyama circle, but even the taichi teacher is simply refereed to as Mr.Chen, along with a student of Mr.Chen.

That is we lack any solid names or dates to go by.

so either the story is made up, or we're dealing with a game of telephone were details have been lost or changed at the account is useless without some third party who was there.

I do recall some students and associate of Mas Oyama being involved with Wang Shu Jin, who was primarily a bagua guy but also did taichi. He lived in Japan at the time and was also quite famous for taking challengers. I also read about Oyama training with either daito ryu or Hakko ryu for awhile, but I do not know the details, and even if he picked up something from those systems it does not seem to be reflected in modern kyokushin
>>
>>1408826
>we're dealing with a game of telephone were details have been lost or changed at the account is useless without some third party who was there.
People also just like to keep Anonymous.
This is 4chan, you should understand.
>>
>>1406111
/asp/ can't refute that pic
>>
>>1408913
I doubt it, and even if that is true, an account with no source is historically useless. without names its less than hearsay.

now if you gave me some names, a date, something that can be cross checked, perhaps a living witness then the story might be worth some credence assuming there was no good reason to doubt the source.
>>
>>1408983
When you get down to it, history isn't very credible in the first place.
>>
>>1406111
Kek
>>
>>1409060
History is evaluated through a systematic process, and like in science, when new evidence comes forth its evaluated.
>>
>>1406111
I never really got this argument. /asp/ was pretty squarely in the middle as far as board traffic was concerned.
>>
>>1409210
Yea but now we have all these great meme's and meaningful discussions
>>
>>1408674
Brazilian Jiujitsu is Judo mixed with Catch Wrestling.
>>
>>1408078
Do judo, your lower hips are an advantage in judo, where you shorter reach is not an advantage in a striking art.
>>
>>1409143
>History is evaluated through a systematic process, and like in science, when new evidence comes forth its evaluated.
The thing is, we can't recreate the conditions, change factors, conduct experiments, and then evaluate the results.
The creation of new evidence is almost impossible, and that evidence doesn't have a completely credible base.
On top of that, history is only as credible as how it's recorded, and that's only further as credible as how it's interpreted.

We have no way of telling if someone lied, and we can't go back in time and conduct research to see if that person really did lie.

Historical evidence is circumstantial at best.
>>
>>1406111
We used a lot of the space, but some less than others. With the introduction of Wrestling, the space we didn't care too much about was taken.
But that's not all.
The space we cared about and used a little bit was taken.
There's more.
The space we cared about and used occasionally was taken.
That's not all.
The space that we used decently and cared about a decent amount, was completely taken.
On top of that, the space we use a lot and care about a lot is reduced to a fraction of what it was, and keeps getting poked and pushed.
>>
Any boxingfags know of any footwork drills beside "skip rope more"?
>>
>>1409330
Well it is true we often go with what is most probable, but we have many ways of falsifying or casting doubt on bad evidence, and new evidence often does surface.

Its more like a court room than a lab though
>>
>>1409370
>Its more like a court room than a lab though
At least it's ahead of a court room.
Appeal to emotion is strong in the court room when it comes to some skilled lawyers.
>>
>>1409249
This objectively false. What became brazilian jujitsu was literally judo taught by a guy who really liked newaza.

Read a fucking book
>>
>>1409521
Mitsuyo Maeda was a judoka but he was also a catch wrestler. Maybe you should be the one to read a fucking book, because Renzo Gracie mentions this fact explicitly.
>>
>>1406111
Shitty bait. Several problems:

>implying that airsoft is the only thing discussed here
>implying that /asp/ didn't have decent traffic to begin with and "use all its space"
>implying that wwe fags aren't the acne riddled retards

>>1406891
Do both. Traditional Jujutsu has a lot of awesome, historical techniques that are worth preserving and training. BJJ is all about competition and practicality, or fighting (no-gi+striking, ect). Bring the weird shit you learn in JJJ into BJJ.
>>
>>1406927
BJJ fag here, not many of our techniques rely on strength. It's just that really competitive guys and fighters get ripped to compete at high levels and fight. I don't really apply strength in rolls against people of near equal weight or less, but if I'm rolling some of the meat monsters we have in the gym, it's a real strain. That's mostly because my technique is still shit, though.
>>
>>1409668
>That's mostly because my technique is still shit, though.
Think of your strength as a tool or an extra weapon. Nobody has a perfect combination of technique, timing, and application of technique and timing.
>>
>>1409664
Sorry, we forgot about your planks with wheels
>>
>when you've practiced a full contact striking art for too long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uhgIJCFOQw
>>
>>1410080

Am I watching a chinese guy get tortured?
>>
>>1409618
To imply Maeda studied or practiced catch wrestling as much as he did judo is disingenuous. This is exacerbated by the fact that Renzo's book seems to be the only source of this information upon a cursory check.
>>
File: 10o4tw6.jpg (15 KB, 340x367) Image search: [Google]
10o4tw6.jpg
15 KB, 340x367
>>1410984
You're absolutely right. For example, this picture in which Maeda is practicing the ancient jujutsu technique known as the half nelson.

Seriously, the guy was a Judoka first and foremost but to try and say that the training in catch wrestling he received and the multitude of catch wrestling matches he participated in had no effect on the development of BJJ is what's really disingenuous.
>>
>>1409349
Ladder drills
>>
>>1409060
Are you insinuating we should believe the Mr. Chen fable on the basis of 'lol idunno?'

The story supposedly comes from an obscure book written by Oyama himself. I own a copy of the book and the story is not in it. The fabricated citation is enough for me to rule the story to be a lie.
>>
>>1412940
>Are you insinuating we should believe the Mr. Chen fable on the basis of 'lol idunno?'
I'm saying we can't know, period. What ever you base off of that, I don't care enough to put effort into analyzing which side is more likely and why.
Either side doesn't have proof. There's no proof he did it. There's no proof he didn't do it.

What's there to argue, after you've gather all the evidence for both sides of the argument, which nobody has probably done, is how much value each argument holds, and besides how non-empirical that is, there's no hard evidence to support the value placed on each argument.

I just think that that's too much bullshit to do for something I really don't care that much about, not to mention all the drafting, cross checking, and editing to do to try and make sure there aren't any mistakes and that everything is thoroughly evaluated.
>>
>>1413355
We might not be able to know for sure, with present information, but that does not mean we cannot draw likely conclusions, expecially with greater investigation.

for an example Tohei's alleged matches with judoka in Hawaii were long the stuff of legend, until someone tracked down judoka who were at the event, now old men, who confirmed that the matches did take place and Tohei did win, though not in the overly dramatic way described in the original source for the story.

The problem with this story is we dont have much to go on. perhaps if someone were to track down survivors who were close to Oyama, we might be able to get more information, and with some cross checking come to some conclusions. but based on what little there is, one would be right to be skeptical of the story
>>
>>1413355
There is evidence of a lie. The story is not in the book that it's propegators claim it is. If you are going to fall back on "we can't know anything" then fine. That's a perfectly acceptable position, but then you need to just sit on the side and shut your mouth forever.
>>
>>1406111
>slow boards are bad
>internet real estate is limited
>>
f
>>
>>1413532
>We might not be able to know for sure, with present information, but that does not mean we cannot draw likely conclusions, expecially with greater investigation.
That's pretty much what I'm saying, but I'm also implying that how likely is less likely than how likely some people believe likeliness is.

>who confirmed
I couldn't call it a confirmation, I'd call it a claim.
If we had video evidence of someone tracking down judoka, contacted the now old men, discussed the matches, then we'd have a video that could have possibly been faked, and faked in a variety of possible ways.

>the problem with the story is that we don't have much to go on
I'll reiterate that my point is that we don't have much to go on for either side of the argument.

>one would be right to be skeptical of the story
One would be right to be skeptical of both sides of the argument pertaining to the story.

>>1413631
There is no hard evidence of either side of the argument.

>If you are going to fall back on "we can't know anything
You seem to have failed to comprehend >>1413355.
The post is implying that people, of whom aren't specified, should apply the utilization of a larger and more thorough amount of information, should utilize a system and or systems of ranking the probability and possibility value of evidence, and should hold a relatively high standard of proof, and possible and likely proof.

PS: I didn't take either side of the argument. I'm not saying that the story is true. I'm not saying that the story isn't true.
>>
>>1413691
I couldn't call it a confirmation, I'd call it a claim.

you have multiple letters written by different people all supporting a slightly different version of the original account of matches that happened years ago.

At this point you either have to concede this happened or chalk it up to an elaborate hoax on the part of multiple people, most of them judoka, over fifty years.

>One would be right to be skeptical of both sides of the argument pertaining to the story.

That's now how burden of proof works
>>
>>1413768
Don't bother. This idiot thinks he is enlightenend because he's figured out if he never takes a side he can never be wrong. Let him crawl back up his own asshole and continue to sink into solipsism
>>
>>1413768
>At this point you either have to concede this happened or chalk it up to an elaborate hoax on the part of multiple people, most of them judoka, over fifty years.
The elaborate hoax is less likely, given that we eliminate a lot of unaccounted for factors, that doesn't mean it's fact.
We can't know if we're in "The Matrix" â„¢, it's not a fact that the world is real, but that doesn't mean it's not possibly in my best interest to act like this is real. I'm not just going to murder everyone I don't like, murder people that take a long time in line, or jump off of a 100ft building for fun, because what if we're not in The Matrix â„¢ ?
To base things off of what's most likely is sound, to accept it is delusion.

>That's not how the burden of proof works
What exactly do you think my position is?

>>1413784
Nice shitpost on one of the few non-wrestling threads.
>>
Boxers in a Street Fight
>We're going to put gloves on, right?

American Kickboxers in a Street Fight
>Let me get my gloves on
>No strikes below the waist, right?

Kickboxers in a Street Fight
>Hey, no grappling, right?

Muay Thai and Sanda/Sanshou Practitioners in a Street Fight
>We're going to let each other get back up, right?

Goju Karateka
>implying this isn't a one sided beat-down where I rape you in the ass afterwards
>>
>>1406938
Practical kung fu is about physically debilitating an opponent as quick as possible. No grappler clinches, no tap outs. I don't think crushing someones wind pipe would fly in the octogon

All the flowery floor exercises you see are rigid and traditional. They aren't about being practical - but about drilling to mold the individual into forms and shapes. It is pointless to learn these, but at the same time it teaches you so much.
>>
Judoka in a Street Fight
>I'm going to break your spine against the concrete

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Practitioners in a Street Fight
>This ground is actually pretty hard, can we move over to the grass?
>>
>>1413816
>Practical kung fu
Practical Kung Fu is just oriental MMA with more striking and a striking focus.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (29 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
29 KB, 1280x720
So I just finished watching Ipman 3. Was Ipman vs Mike Tyson a proper representation of Wing Chun vs Boxing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TNnq1vJAlI
>>
>>1413856
Something about the choreography seems less good as Ip Man 1 and Ip Man 2.
>>
File: Untitled.png (360 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
360 KB, 800x800
Hey /asp/ long time no see, it's nice to se an MA post on the top.

So I've got to learn some kung fu (one year for now), anc can finally share some knowledge about it. You can't really "get" CMAs without their history.

I'll try to distinguish between CMAs, my school/style, and my viewpoint. It will be lenghty, but I'll try to make it worth your time.

---

Martial Arts certainly predate the Shaolin Temple, but it's been pretty much a hub for teaching/learning/creating/evaluating a style for centuries. Kung fu has always been about being "pratical".
Forms/sequences have always been a big part of teaching a) technique and b) principles. Picture this: a monk travels preaching buddhism, and stumbles on a village that is harassed by bandits/pirates/corrupt govmt scum. He can only stay for a short time in one place at a time. He'll gather the peasants and teach them a sequence of moves with, say, a pitchfork, and then move to the next village. The peasants can then practice/refine the movements, train on dummies or spar. It's *good enough* for keepeing a band of thugs away, and that's what counts.

Those that want to dedicate themselves more could always join the Temple, or practice on their own.

That's literally how CMAs have been brought to Taiwan and from there, if I'm not mistaken, to Japan.

---

Cont
>>
>>1413871

Now, MAs have never been exclusive to the Shaolin, but it's been a big hub for it. Sholin are buddhist. They are religious monks first, and fighters second. That should explain why CMAs have a peculiar approach to fighting: it's what westerners would call "holistic". It's more than just fighting, it's a means for maintaining health, for meditation, for sprituality, etc.

Anyone could just go and formalise their own style, and at times were encouraged to do so. Styles flourished, mostly inspired by nature: the animals and the elements (no flowers here, keep it real). The animals and the elements are just metaphores/allegories for principles/strategies tho. Don't read too much into it.

---

Now as you can see, a bunch of people teaching peasants how to fight could be a big problem of the government. We're talking feudal China here, expecially at times when dyansties changed. The Shaolin weren't in the favour of the newly established Emperor, they knew that they would be the target and decided to "refine" their styles. One monk was assigned by the abbot to fight all of the other monks and keep what was good/what worked and discard what wasn't, in a style that could be taught in a reasonable amount of time. That's basically the Shaolin style.

---

The Temple got eventually destroyed, and the Sholin style has been secretly passed on. Also, in the south the grip of the central govermnet wasn't as bad as near the capital (Beijing means "capital of the north", Nanjing the opposite). The Shaolin style was passed on and again people encouraged to find their own style.

---
Cont
>>
>>1413878

Fast forward to the beginning of the XX century. The comunist take power and among other things fiercly forbid teaching/learning/fighting with martial arts. The reasons are the same as before, don't want people to be able to threat/defend themselves from the police and military.

This is when the distinction between TCMAs and non-traditional CMAs comes. The only way you could teach/learn MAs was if it was purely for performance. The comunist knew that they can't outright forbid kung fu, so they did some damage control over it, you can keep your school, but can't fight or organize tournaments. (oh yeah, tournaments were BIG before the comunist rule).

You a master had a choice to make, dilute their style to keep their school or close the school and *secretly* continue to teach fighting the traditional way.

---

On the other hand the chineese military took some of the styles, took what worked for them and created what's called Sanshou. It's the military version of kung fu, and it's what's been tought to soldiers. Make no mistake, no military wants to win a battle with fisticuffs, it's just to have the soldiers be in good shape and not be completely helpless in close quarter. Like any military.

---

Since MAs were outlawed, fighting become a thing of the outlaws. Each local organized crime had their own style that's taught to their minions. Again, if a criminal would like to attach you, he wouldn't attack you with fisticuffs, but sure as hell I wouldn't want to fight a Triad representative in close quarter.

---

Cont
>>
>>1413893

I made a mistake, and it wasn't the beginning of the XX century, but the years of the so called cultural revolution (roughly second half of the century). I actually thing the story is different between the north and the south in the first part of the century, but not an expert.

---

Fast forward to the late '90s the ban on Fighting has been somewhat lifted. You all know how crucial the period between '60s and now has been for the martial arts in general. There has been a lot of contamination, cross-training and cross-fighting. The UFC and similar tournaments have been established.
CMAs have somewhat missed that train, in part because of a nationalist background (kung fu not to be mixed with foreign art), in part because it was banned, and only some would compete (mainly from Hong Kong).

---

What I do:
I'm in a traditional school of Hung Gar. Traditional schools are not much into jumpy flashy stuff, and more into simplier effective stuff. The "Art" in Martial Art is still very much present, with execrises on breathing, and some optional meditation.
The study of the style is throught the study of forms that teach technique and pricniples. Those are then drilled with their applications, then is some conditionaing and execercises for reflexes and positioning.
The program of the school is 5 years, after an exam you becaome affiliated and can continue to study what you like most.
There are optional sparring lessons once a week, starting from the 2nd year. (meaning you'll be taught basics first, before fighting).
There are also some excercises and a general emphasis on health and mainly posture. At least three masters of my linage were (one still is) medical doctors and/or orthopedists.

---
Cont
>>
>>1413924

My views on Hung Gar:
(You can entirely skip this if you want)

I personally like the "holistic" approach of it. I'd very much like to have some time for some yoga, meditation, and other stuff. It's a nice balance of all the stuff, and it works for me, your milage may vary.
I don't expect to be fighting on the streets, it never happened to me to be assaulted. It's more of a hobby to me and I'm too old for the ring. I did some competition in my time (judo), it was great fun, but I have other things going on in my life now.
I do enjoy the health/posture emphasis of the style, because since I'm an IT guy sitting at the desks for the whole week, it helps a lot.
I'll be starting the free sparring lessons shortly, so since I haven't started yet I can't comment much on it. I've had a bad experience in a different school before, where after the first two weeks I was told to fight a guy that was newer than me. Neither of us knew what we were doing and I ended up with a broken rib (he was a big boy). It makes sense to me to let people learn some basics before free sparring.

The end.

If you have any questions, I'll be around, but might not be able to reply before monday.

Godspeed /asp/.

tl;dr: Traditional styles are more legit for fighting that the others. Either way you're getting more on the "art" part of "martial art". There is sparring you want to search the right school.
>>
>>1413856
https://youtu.be/6WNtL4UKcwA

This is what a real "wing chun vs boxing" match looks like
>>
>>1414031
>This is what a real "wing chun vs boxing" match looks like
But Ip Man did a lot of sparring and fighting in his time. He was also in a lot of street fights. He had to fight the Japanese military, and fight 10 men at once. He's also really smart.

Do you have a video of a wing chun fighter that sparred a lot, got into street fights, has fought for his life, was a scholar, and is really smart, fighting a boxer?
>>
>>1413813
Kid, I realize you just took intro to philosophy last semester and that it is a great class, but you are out of your league here.
>>
>>1414573
Is this a joke? I have to ask because it is conceivable that there are people who believe this
>>
>>1409349
Dot drill. Seriously, high schools across the US are using it in their BFS programme.
>>
>>1406099

Shu Jiao and Sanda/San Shou prove that if you drop the retarded bullshit mysticism and propensity for secretiveness and instead adopt proven training methodologies, you can fight.

And also that fighting generally looks like fighting, you're not going to pull of some super fancy crouching crane dicksucking monkey shit in a fight unless you absolutely outclass the other guy in skill and conditioning. And even then you're taking a big risk with an abysmally low percentage technique.
>>
>>1406938
>Cung le is the only MMA guy I know of that uses a Chinese exponent of sanda.

Kung Le fought in Sanda rules, but his background was TKD and Folkstyle Wrestling primarily.
>>
>>1407018
>The arts evolved over time

The vast majority of CMA didn't evolve at all, they were made up in the 20th century or pulled from incomplete information prior to the PRC takeover. There's hundreds of "masters" who fled mainland China to Vietnam, Malaysia, HK etc. who are completely full of shit and can't prove their "lineage".

The biggest example is that cult faggot from the Seven Mountain Fist place in Pittsburgh.
>>
>>1409060
>When you get down to it, history isn't very credible in the first place.

>"There's this historical story that's totally factual where a Tai Chi master beat up the originator of the hardest Krotty style in modern day"

>"There's no actual source for that story"

>"Well history is bullshit and made up anyway"

Jesus titty fucking Christ. Not only are you retarded for that back and forth, but you're retarded in general.
>>
>>1406111
there are tons of other slow ass boards and none of them are being invaded by retards
>>
>>1413691
>There is no hard evidence of either side of the argument.

Someone making up a lie and citing a book in which that lie isn't mentioned, is lying and means that it's a lie.

That's pretty solid evidence that it's bullshit.

I'm guessing you think vaccines cause autism and 9/11 was an inside job.
>>
>>1413813
>Nice shitpost on one of the few non-wrestling threads.
He's right though you queerbo.
>>
>>1414781
>Someone making up a lie and citing a book in which that lie isn't mentioned, is lying and means that it's a lie.
>I'm guessing you think vaccines cause autism and 9/11 was an inside job.
That's funny because correlation is not causation.
>>
File: IJ-skydiving.gif (719 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
IJ-skydiving.gif
719 KB, 450x253
Is sparring the skydiving of martial arts?
>>
Starting Muay Thai with a buddy of mine in 2 months as someone who is completely out of shape.

Anything I need to keep in mind? I've started running again and in 2 months I should be in 'OKish' shape.
>>
>>1406099
This is not WWE.
>>
>>1415720
>Anything I need to keep in mind?
Whenever you get hit in the head, you get brain damage.
>>
>>1414573
You know those were movies, right?
>>
>>1415482
>That's funny because correlation is not causation.

Do you even know what this means, or are you just parroting something you've heard?
>>
>>1415809
The only way the mods are going to listen to us is if this MMA vs WWE becomes a meme. Other than that this board is lost
>>
>>1406099
We need a containment board for wrasslers.

Name suggestions for the new board?

>/fsp/ - Fake Sports
>>
File: ha!.png (190 KB, 325x382) Image search: [Google]
ha!.png
190 KB, 325x382
>>1416456
>/fsp/ - Fake Sports
>>
File: fsp.png (93 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
fsp.png
93 KB, 284x177
>>1416456
>>
>>1416456
kek
>>
>>1416215
>or are you just parroting something you've heard?
I've created and developed everything I say, personally, despite how many have done so with the same content before me.
>>
>>1416442
All it would take is 5 or 6 people spamming /qa/ and /feedback/ for a while.
>>
>>1417077
>All it would take is 5 or 6 people spamming /qa/ and /feedback/ for a while.
It only takes one (1) dedicated person, spamming /qa/ and /feedback/ for a while.

Maybe a hacker DOSing 4chan until we get what we want.

Maybe someone holding Gook Moot's family hostage with the threat of torture until we get what we want.

Maybe we could bribe an admin to bribe someone at 4chan HQ to work his and or her influence so we can get what we want.
>>
>>1406111
>MS paint argument
The sign of a truly massive faggot. Not to mention this board was perfectly fine and utilized all of the "space" (which is a completely retarded analogy which makes no sense) before you fucking losers came.
>>
>>1416456
/fgt/- fake gay talk
>>
>>1416791
So, please, tell me where I stated that a correlation was a causation. Or how that's even relevant to the discussion.

Pro tip: You're retarded.
>>
See how this guy defended himself from getting attacked by waiters, a store manager, and 4 policeman?

https://youtu.be/1exANLDR2dk

All you need is a tiny bit of skills, and not even good skills.
>>
>>1422997
>Adults trying to order off the kids menu.

Wow this group isn't just Jewish, they are super Jewish. How many yarmulkes do they own, I wonder?

>It's nothing personal, I'm Jewish!

HOLY SHIT

>Licking his friend's bowl after he left

>Haggling over drinks

Holy shit dude. This made me cringe so hard. If I went to a restaurant with a friend and he pulled this bullshit I would have left him.
>>
>>1422997
These people are disgusting
>>
File: MMA Vs Boxing.webm (1 MB, 224x400) Image search: [Google]
MMA Vs Boxing.webm
1 MB, 224x400
proof boxing is better than mma for the streets
>>
File: Ancient Chinese Kung Fu.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Chinese Kung Fu.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>
>>
>>1406138

I don't understand why they don't just give y'all you're own board. Y'all post enough to have your own board, and by moving you here they destroyed this entire community.
>>
>>1423163
Guy in the red completely gave up after that slam though. If the other guy excecuted it correctly he would have won easily.
>>
File: 1464062563157.jpg (69 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
1464062563157.jpg
69 KB, 640x420
>look up (insert variation of kung fu here) sparring on youtube
>its either two guys gently slapping each other or one guy doing "Sparring forms"
>>
File: Gangster Cop - Motorcycle Guy.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
Gangster Cop - Motorcycle Guy.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>>
>>1424591
>Guy in the red completely gave up after that slam though.
That was an expert counter. He knew he had the guy's head buried into the concrete.
>>
>>1424620
WTF? Cops are 10x scarier than any criminal?
>>
>>1425717
That's about standard for most flat foot cunts in the US. For every one "good" cop there's at least one faggot who does shit like this.
>>
>>1410984
Maeda may not have studied too much catch (i don't knownhow well verserd he was) but the gracie siblings trained in luta livre/catch either way.
>>
>>1423189
Why do they keep trying to grab the balsa wood? Don't they see it's ineffective?
>>
>>1426646
>Don't they see it's ineffective?
It was pretty effective when the guy that was outnumbered used it.
>>
What can you guys tell me about this kick?
>>
>>1428501
It's called "The Dutch Deuce." It started as a means to harvest grain but found its way to Brazil via Cambodia.
>>
>>1428501
He uses that kick to mix up his footwork so that his opponents can't read his rhythm. It is a set up for other randomness like a left hook or hane goshi.
>>
>>1428501
What exactly do you want to know about it? It's a sweep. I wouldn't know what styles teach it. I assume that he noticed the guy moved backwards whenever he punched so he tried to trip him with that. That or he set the guy up to lean back and get tripped by moving in when punching to condition the guy to move backwards to deal with it. The dudes stance was too stable for it to knock him down, but it did knock him off balance enough that he had to bounce on his rear leg. Because of that turn he did, if silva had recovered from throwing it faster and in a better position he could've just shot himself forward and rammed the guy into the wall, possibly knocking him down in the process. That or he could've just punched him in the face. Instead he just sort of relaxed and let his form get all sloppy. I would assume that he didn't think it was worth following up on. In other words I'm assuming his mindset was to watch and see whether it tripped him or not, rather than to see whether or not it opened him up in general. Then again, what do I know. >>1428536 probably knows what's going on better than me.
>>
>>1406099
>Martial arts thread I guess.

Is Parkour a martial art? Because I just complied a new YouTube tutorials links pasta for beginners.

Ultimate Parkour YouTube Tutorials Links Pasta 06-29-16

JoggingForBeginners - Jogging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0rS43ocutI

Darrick Ware - Sprint Form Analysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZaneGIbiSI

Teach PE - How to Improve your Long Jump Technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v9p5jBN_Hg

LaFlairParkour - Speed Vault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1DR9UxkNIE

Ozzi Quintero - Kong Vault
youtube.com/watch?v=QXH7FHfMCH0

Ozzi Quintero - Slap Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBs4NABgR6U

Ozzi Quintero - Parkour Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6I1J0zmE7U

Ozzi Quintero - Wall Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNEhjxg-w0

ParkourScience - Wall Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuruwazmpI8

ParkourScience - Landing and Impact - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNdVJABkc3c

ParkourScience - Landing and Impact - Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXR-MRdRVI

ParkourScience - Parkour Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvlAl0TVrsE
>>
>>1428611
Edited with the Levi Meeuwenberg roll tutorial added.

Ultimate Parkour YouTube Tutorials Links Pasta 06-29-16

JoggingForBeginners - Jogging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0rS43ocutI

Darrick Ware - Sprint Form Analysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZaneGIbiSI

Teach PE - How to Improve your Long Jump Technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v9p5jBN_Hg

LaFlairParkour - Speed Vault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1DR9UxkNIE

Ozzi Quintero - Kong Vault
youtube.com/watch?v=QXH7FHfMCH0

Ozzi Quintero - Slap Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBs4NABgR6U

Ozzi Quintero - Parkour Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6I1J0zmE7U

Levi Meeuwenberg - Parkour Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JoBLxFKkbM

Ozzi Quintero - Wall Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNEhjxg-w0

ParkourScience - Wall Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuruwazmpI8

ParkourScience - Landing and Impact - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNdVJABkc3c

ParkourScience - Landing and Impact - Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXR-MRdRVI

ParkourScience - Parkour Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvlAl0TVrsE
>>
>>1428611
>>1429121
Man, I miss parkour generals
>>
>>1429134
And they miss you.
>>
>>1409349
Hey man sorry if this is a late reply, but I'll try help.

First of all when you're skipping rope try to mix it up- you can do it for fitness but it's also good for developing like a rythm to your movements if you know what i mean? And general coordination. this is like the skipping i mean

https://youtu.be/iqv8-boKVCQ

Leg strength is also not to be not to be ignored. Single leg squats and stuff are good, burpees etc etc.

Can also do stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tLNdj1Srgw
which is pretty good to get used to doing you'll find it works heaps well; once you do it in sprring or whatever it feels pretty natural it's like that 'spring' you want to have

but really yeah just have strong legs used to a high workload and practice heaps i guess hope that's something
>>
>>1413815
what're you trying to say? everything has its shortcomings sure

what personally are you doing then?
>>
>>1423189
what a fucking hero hahah
>>
I stumble on thai martial arts that call Muay Chaiya or Muay Thai Chaiya in full name.

As far I understand Muay Chaiya is one of the Muay Boran style, predessor to modern thaiboxing.

That are least 3-5 known masters who teaches Muay Chaiya in Thailand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0GBQyQnuJ4

I'm going to Thailand at end of weekend and see if I can train Muay Chaiya.
>>
>>1429761
>what're you trying to say?
Nothing. Nothing at all. I just enjoy posting jokes, even if they're not that funny. I don't care if people read them, I don't care if people reply. I have enough fun on my own posting as it is. I could be the only person on /asp/ posting, and I'd still have a great time.

>what personally are you doing then?
>2016
>doing only 1 style
>not doing hybrid training
>>
>>1430474
What about this art interests you, and what other arts have you practiced?
>>
File: Sanda-Chinese-Kickboxing.jpg (62 KB, 539x387) Image search: [Google]
Sanda-Chinese-Kickboxing.jpg
62 KB, 539x387
>>1406099

Yes. It's called sanda.
>>
>>1413815
>this is what goju guy actually believes

Pls go and never not stay go
>>
File: punching hunger in the face.jpg (90 KB, 1187x526) Image search: [Google]
punching hunger in the face.jpg
90 KB, 1187x526
I fight, not only with my fists, but with my mind.

I fight, not just individual physical opponents, but the physical hunger of many, with my mind.
>>
>>1428611
>>1429121

>forgetting a tic tac tutorial.

Anyone know of a tic tac tutorial that is short and to the point, but is also clearly detailed?

I don't feel like taking the time to compile a list of tic tac tutorials, looking through all of them, comparing and contrasting them, eliminating some videos, comparing and contrasting what's left, and then repeating some form of that until I have a single video.
>>
>>1431781

The reason I'm interesting this art is because I'm half-thai and I feel like I want to get closer to my Thai heritage.

The only martial arts that I had even trained was Aikido (only one lesson..) as part of high school program.
>>
>>1433242
Oh, well I hope you have a fun experience getting better depth and knowledge of martial arts through the practice of Muay Thai.
>>
>>1433242
>>1433258
>through the practice of Muay Thai.
I mean Muay Thai Chaiya.
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.