[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you compliment your Muay Thai and boxing with Shotokan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: zr151.jpg (68 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
zr151.jpg
68 KB, 720x960
Would you compliment your Muay Thai and boxing with Shotokan Karate-do or Taekwondo? Mr. Thompson has helped me see karate in a new light, so I'm thinking about complimenting my striking with a third martial art.
>>
Nope. Judo or BJJ.
>>
>>1393018
who is this semen demon?
>>
Taekwondo, definitely. Taekwondo helps with range reading, precision and speed with kicks. When you already have the Muay Thai base, that's a great add on.
>>
you can definitely learn some new tricks
>>
File: jennifer white.jpg (94 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
jennifer white.jpg
94 KB, 650x488
>>1393070
>>
>>1393018
I would compliment her with my dick, if you know what I mean.
>>
File: 14687976552.jpg (23 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
14687976552.jpg
23 KB, 600x315
>>1393111
That has to be a trap.
>>
>>1393070
niamh hanbidge
>>
>>1393146
Jennifer white. Check her out bro. She got methed up a few years back though.
>>
File: dk-joker3[1].jpg (69 KB, 900x470) Image search: [Google]
dk-joker3[1].jpg
69 KB, 900x470
>>1393111
Wanna know how she got those scars?
>>
Would one be better for MMA and the other for Muay Thai?
>>
What are the main differences between Shotokan Karate-do and Taekwondo anyways?
>>
>>1399814
Shotokan sport fights are tag punches, tae kwon do ones are tag kicks
>>
>>1400660
>tae kwon do ones are tag kicks
In Taekwondo, punches won't count unless they're hard punches. Same thing with kicks.
They even have fancy electronic chest protectors to determine how hard a strike is.
>>
>>1399526
I'm thinking Shotokan Karate-do would translate into MMA better while Taekwondo would be better suited for Muay Thai/kickboxing.
>>
>>1393111
This isn't girl in the OP. Just sort of looks like her. Jennifer is a crack whore that regularly gets banged by multiple darkies, sometimes while wearing cheerleader outfits.
>>
>>1393018
Judo, BJJ, Freestyle or Greco Roman Wrestling

Playing tag with your fists and feet won't make you a better fighter
>>
>>1403208
The thread is about striking, dickhead.
>>
>>1402998
I think it's exactly the opposite. The best thing to counter anything TKD can throw at you is to just cover up well in a traditional kickboxing stance. Once you have that, there's not a lot that can slip through, and it's pretty hard to set up from a traditional kickboxing stance into some of the kicks. Traditional, solid karate kicks are much better equipped at standing and trading.

In MMA though, stances are more fluid, and the traditional kickboxing stance leaves you open to takedowns. This creates a situation where timing, reading and head movement are the keys to dealing with a lot of kicks, which is why you see a lot of spinning hook kicks, tornado kicks and back kicks in MMA.
>>
>>1405239
Which art has better footwork and utilizes angels the best with circling and such? I'm finding this thread to be interesting. Thanks for your input.
>>
File: 1464049622771.webm (2 MB, 720x406) Image search: [Google]
1464049622771.webm
2 MB, 720x406
>>1401255

When I was in sparring I was told basically to not bother with punches because of how hard they needed to be. The only reason to do them was if you got too close to kick, in which case you might as well try to get some physical damage in through the padding before you backed off to take your chances at spinning again.

My team wasn't exactly high grade though.

>>1407089

Well, unsurprisingly, TKD footwork is better for doing TKD things like kicking people in the head, including jumping real high and spinning around a lot. It's not so great for dealing with some MMA guy engaging you in a sweaty man hug. Karate's footwork is going to be more like what you already know from MT/boxing.

I think as far as mobility goes TKD is better because you're supposed to stay light on your feet and bounce around a lot. I remember that our captain tried to keep us bouncing 90% of the time during practices. That lightness lets you move faster but is also the exact factor that makes you easier to grapple down or sweep via MT low kicks, whereas stances with a lowered center of gravity and better braced legs resist those efforts much more strongly.

But I still think the original point the Doctor made is correct, that if you're looking to branch out, TKD is the way to go. High kicks are a risky strategy, but also a rewarding one. As far as the rock-paper-scissors of MMA or general fighting goes it's worthwhile to have in your back pocket if you're already thoroughly competent in the more reliable striking methods that MT/boxing offer.
>>
>>1407202
damn that was brutal lel
>>
>>1393086
>>1405239
>>1407202
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to visit my local Taekwondo gym soon.
>>
A graplling style if you want to be more well rounded, shoto or tkd for being fast. Tkd is more kicky and spinny. Check out the places in your are to also take into consideration the quality of instructuon.
>>
>>1393018
No. Muay Thai is king. There are literally no good Muay Thai people in MMA. Thompsons style would fail hard against a Buakaw or Senechai.
>>
>>1409928
Thompsons has shown he can cancel out clinching. He beat a wrestler for christ sakes. I doubt MT guys could have done anything, Thompsons kicks are better and faster then the slower MT style kicks, MT guys arent good at punching. that leaves them with their grapples and those are useless against Thompson
>>
>>1409935
Ok, perhaps I wasn't being fair to Thompson. Kid's a phenom. BUT he's also been training under his dad since he could walk.

I simply doubt particular style he utilizes in the cage could just be "picked up" by someone by training at a TKD gym. And that's why I'm critical of people getting so excited about his style. He's an outlier that doesn't represent the norm. I just think it would be unrealistic to expect similar results.

Note: Thompson's style isn't TKD. It's American Kickboxing/American Kenpo. His dad, Ray teaches it at Upstate Karate in Simpsonville, SC
>>
>>1409589
Key question though: Do they do TKD style sparring? Do they do it SERIOUSLY? Ask them how often they compete.
>>
>>1407202
>I remember that our captain tried to keep us bouncing 90% of the time during practices
Shotokan also does that, for the same reasons, no one is going to grapple you and kicking/advancing is faster
Also obviously if the gym has few advanced students, sparring with them is probably not going to help you
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.