[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he going down as one of the greatest all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
Is he going down as one of the greatest all time?
>>
Vanilla midget
>>
>>1391515
Not in WWE.
>>
>>1391515
He's pretty good. I don't know if he's GOAT though.
>>
>>1391515
Yes.
>>
His run in NJPW is GOAT for any promotion

>>1391523
>cheered over Reigns & Cena by the markiest WWE crowds

Stay cuckd shitter
>>
He's barely passable on the mic, I dare anyone to name 5 memorable AJ Styles promos his entire career

He'll go down as one of the GOATs in the ring though
>>
>>1391515
He's in what is easily the best triple threat match ever.

Despite being put through awful booking when TNA really went to shit he still put on good matches.

His run in NJPW is fantastic.

While not charismatic in the typical way in promos, he's still able to give out some good ones. Although I guess Cena outdid him in the shittalking district of promos, he stuck through and did a great promo related to his character.

But most importantly, he's the modern Bret Hart in that he can work with anyone and make them look good. He got fed to a lot of old farts in TNA and made them all look at least decent. Jeridad has had a hard time catching up with the younger peeps in the ring and AJ made him look good. Roman isn't that great in ring otherwise either, but as usual AJ makes him look fantastic. This is one of the rarest qualities a wrestler can have, and it's what makes one the overall most consistent and reliable.

>>1391583
The promos he has done the past couple weeks have been good though. Again, being good on the mic doesn't necessarily mean doing a generic hot blooded shonen anime character promo like Hogan/Rock/Austin/Cena, it just sometimes means getting your point across and establishing who you are as a character, and AJ's great at doing that.

His recent mic work has done a great job of establishing his sorta but not really a heel thing that makes his character interesting.
>>
>>1391515

Huh? Who is this guy again?
>>
>>1391591

>it just sometimes means getting your point across and establishing who you are as a character,

Yes

>and AJ's great at doing that.

No
>>
>>1391591
You just called four of the top 10 people on the mic ever generic and you expect me to believe AJ Styles is good on there.
>>
>>1391595
I called the hotblooded nature of their promo delivery generic, which isn't a bad thing, it's just a popular way of delivering promos that makes people think that such a promo is always a good promo.

>>1391593
He is though. He does that chill southern drawl thing while showing often through his face how his character is often conflicted quite well.
>>
>>1391603
Sting cut promos the same way and everyone knows he was shit.
>>
>>1391603

AJ Styles is not a good promo. In fact other than Bray and Enzo, no one else in this current roster is. They all botch, slur their lines, stutter, stammer, or are just overall cringeworthy to listen to. I'd put the guys from the New Day in a tier below the two I just mentioned cause they do their jobs but still...and no matter how much you want to talk about "Southern drawl", Kurt Angle didn't over rely on catch phrases and he was great on the mic.

And no AJ Styles hasn't done anything to be considered a "GOAT" no matter how many cool flips you're impressed by. Wait until someone actually retires or goes part time before throwing such a label.
>>
Style fucking bodied Cena in every dueling promo they've had, and Cena had the clear advantage of WWE shitbooking on his side.

>>1391613
Shut up Corny.

>Kurt Angle didn't over rely on catch phrases

IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUE

>Styles
>flippy

You never even watched one second of his NJPW run, did you?
>>
>>1391608
1. He never reached heights of overthetopness those guys did

2. He was over as hell when he did them, pretty sure he did a good job the same way those guys did.

>>1391613
Unless AJ pulls a Benoit, I don't see him not being among the GOATs though. This isn't some kid who just started wrestling, this is a guy who's been wrestling for a decade and a half and has done so in various places.

It's not even about flips, it's about how much of a good worker he is in the same vein Bret Hart was a good worker. Not in aspects of technicality or high flying, but in ring psychology and storytelling.

>They all botch, slur their lines, stutter, stammer, or are just overall cringeworthy to listen to.
AJ does none of this though

>Kurt Angle didn't over rely on catch phrases and he was great on the mic
You Suck got him massively over in a post Rock/Austin world.
>>
>>1391619

Oh wow one catch phrase! Good job there kid. Styles is boring and a snooze on the mic, I'd even rather listen to Sheamus talk.
>>
>>1391627
>Joker Sting
>Not being as over the top as any wrestling character ever
>>
>>1391627
>AJ does none of this though

>One of his first couple of RAWs post-WM he literally botched and said "Doc Gallows"

>Backstage segment with Roman where they just whisper to each other inaudible things

>Angle was over cause of a chant and not cause he was great at literally everything.

Next time make sure you're over 18 before posting. I don't even hate the guy, but shut up about calling him great on the mic.
>>
I'd say he's top 5 of the last 12-13 years
>>
>>1391628
You're lacking the 3 Is.
>>
>>1391628
The fans used to chant YOU SUCK during his entrance music, like they sing JOHN CENA SUCKS during his entrance music.
>>
>>1391628
> WITH A BROKEN DAMN NECK
> ITS TRUE ITS TRUE
> I (DON'T) SUCK
>>
>>1391646

Yes but that's not what got him over you child. He was already over before that chant even came into existence.
>>
>>1391632
>Using Joker Sting as an example
Only proving my point here. That shit is so out of style it looks retarded today.

>>1391633
>AJ says Doc Gallows: what a shit promo
>Cena having fucked up many times including a similar botch saying Bullet Club: oh no it's fine he said "pull it" club he's GOAT

>Using a backstage segment probably not under their control as an example of him on the mic

>Childishly stretching what I said about Angle
I won't deny that guys abilities, but to say he never relied on catchphrases is downright false.

Broken freakin neck
YOU SUCK (I don't suck)
It's true, it's damn true

And you're trying to pull 18+ on me with this bullshit.

Oh and that's not even including you stretching my statements on AJ. I said he was pretty good on the mic not the GOAT like you're insinuating. My point is that he isn't as much of a typical indie wrestler who can't talk at all type and using his mic skills as a detriment of him as a great wrestler doesn't make as much sense as it would for someone like Lance Storm or Dean Malenko or maybe even Daniel Bryan.
>>
>>1391669
Surfer Sting isn't too far behind. It says enough about someones mic work when the best run of their career came when they didn't speak for a year
>>
>>1391669
>a typical indie wrestler who can't talk at all

This stereotype is really outdated. buhlee dat bbygrrrl
>>
>>1391664
Keep moving those goalposts kid, you'll always win your internet debates.
>>
>>1391669

>Says "AJ does none of this though"
>I point out a scenario where he botched it up
>I-i-it doesn't count
>Backstage segments now also don't count

Smarks are a right handful. Your indie darlings are immune to all criticism eh? And I never said Kurt Angle didn't have catchphrases, he clearly does, and so does any wrestler worth their salts, but he never had to over-rely on them. Surely even someone as daft as you can get such a simple post.

>Wahh stop calling me underage

You're overrating some guy who barely has any memorable promos on the mic and crying about an accurate assessment being made on you? The bar has been lowered very low. He's not even on the same tier as Road Dogg. If you actually *weren't* underage you'd know how ridiculous it is to say someone is great on the mic just cause they have a southern accent and look sincere saying words. That's the biggest load of jizz.

> My point is that he isn't as much of a typical indie wrestler who can't talk at all

He pretty much checks all the boxes in what indie wrestling fans like.
>>
>>1391679
>Smarks are a right handful. Your indie darlings are immune to all criticism eh?
Nope. By that logic, Rock has definitely fucked up a couple times. So has your so called best atm, Enzo when he slurred pretty hard their third or fourth week into RAW. You don't have any substantial evidence to back you up.

>And I never said Kurt Angle didn't have catchphrases, he clearly does, and so does any wrestler worth their salts, but he never had to over-rely on them.
But he did rely on them. His largest push in his life was around when it was catchphrases galore from him.

>He's not even on the same tier as Road Dogg.
>STILL uses an example of "loud bombastic promo is automatically better" when not only is it obvious that it's not, but I have to mention it
That's some baby level attention span you got there.

>look sincere saying words
Because giving a feeling of sincerity is bad in a business of essentially actors, right?

>He pretty much checks all the boxes in what indie wrestling fans like.
He seems to check the boxes in what mainstream wrestling fans like, too, thus that point I made.
>>
>>1391697

>You don't have any substantial evidence

I just gave you two examples after you said your favorite indie darling "does none of this"...now you're shifting the goal posts.

>loud bombastic promo is actually better

You're an idiot and you're actually pretty embarrassing to talk to cause you still don't understand the very simple concept that AJ Styles is not "pretty good" on the mic, he's not even good, he's just on the average line, along with everyone else, and in this day and age where everyone is awful on the mic, not botching horrifically like Roman and Seth do is enough to make you be "pretty great" in the eyes of smarks but that doesn't negate the fact that you are still average and boring.

>Wahh feeling of sincerity

Anyone can be sincere. Doesn't mean they are good orators.

>Mainstream wrestling fans like too

That's why the ratings are so high huh? Mainstream fans just wanted to tune in to see him main event the contract signing right? If Vince makes him WWE champion, ratings will spike up to 4 million again, is that what your delusional hugbox tells you would happen?
>>
>>1391742
>I just gave you two examples after you said your favorite indie darling "does none of this"...now you're shifting the goal posts.
Your initial post came with the implication that it happens often which came from the idea that constant messing up is what is causing promos to be shit. In that context there isn't enough evidence that you have offered, nor is there that much actual evidence either.

>You're an idiot and you're actually pretty embarrassing to talk to cause you still don't understand the very simple concept that AJ Styles is not "pretty good" on the mic, he's not even good, he's just on the average line, along with everyone else, and in this day and age where everyone is awful on the mic, not botching horrifically like Roman and Seth do is enough to make you be "pretty great" in the eyes of smarks but that doesn't negate the fact that you are still average and boring.
>Anyone can be sincere. Doesn't mean they are good orators.
You prefer people who talk like a bunch of illiterate overthetop cartoons over people who know how to act out their character. Style over substance bullshit.

>That's why the ratings are so high huh?
>http://corporate.wwe.com/investors/sec-and-other-documents/financials
>Revenue increased 21% to $658.8 million, the highest in the Company’s history
>Implying TELEVISION ratings of all things matter in this day and age
>>
They made him look so weak against Ramen tonight in LA.
>>
>>1391759

>In that context there isn't enough evidence

Yeah cause he literally joined WWE this year and before wrestlemania he hardly spoke, but when he was put in the spotlight for the title he botched it up as I pointed out, you probably did know these but obviously still covering up for your favorite indie darling.

>You prefer people who talk like a bunch of illiterate overthetop cartoons over people who know how to act out their character.

First of all they don't talk like cartoon characters, second of all you'd know this if you were actually alive and watching the product at that time instead of parroting whichever blog post or documentary you watched and finally even with all that said, there's no substance in anything Styles and Rollins have ever said. Especially Seth Rollins, my goodness...yes the boy can do incredible things in the ring but when he opens his mouth to talk he never has anything interesting to say. Ever. And then you have AJ Styles with that horrific Southern accent trying to sound tough, and smarks like you creaming themselves over generic indie darling vs. Cena feud #1342141 as if this stuff isn't just a rehash of what was happening with Punk 5 years ago, except back then it was actually new and not overdone.

>Ratings don't matter

Company revenue cause the company is growing and expanding to new markets in India, Japan and China you literal child. And also rolling out new features like the WWE network.

Answer me this, are you still in high school? Which year were you actually born?

You probably won't even answer but my guess is you just turned 19 but yet you think you're a know-it-all.
>>
>>1391771
>Yeah cause he literally joined WWE this year and before wrestlemania he hardly spoke
>AJ Styles hasn't been in the business for over a decade WWE is the only place where he has done pro wrestling

>First of all they don't talk like cartoon characters
Loud bombastic overthetop = cartoon characters this is objective, fool

>second of all you'd know this if you were actually alive and watching the product at that time instead of parroting whichever blog post or documentary you watched and finally even with all that said
That is exactly why I know it for what it is.

>Especially Seth Rollins, my goodness...yes the boy can do incredible things in the ring but when he opens his mouth to talk he never has anything interesting to say.
This past Monday says otherwise. You sound like you didn't really watch then nor do you watch now. I swear you probably think PG is holding WWE back, too.

>as if this stuff isn't just a rehash of what was happening with Punk 5 years ago, except back then it was actually new and not overdone
But it isn't though. Completely different storyline and context. This'll be like Hogan vs Flair but actually good.

>Company revenue cause the company is growing and expanding to new markets in India, Japan and China you literal child. And also rolling out new features like the WWE network.
Okay...and what are you even trying to say here? You brought up the ratings as if to bring up that the product is in some deep shit crisis when it's doing better than it ever has.
>>
>>1391783
>Hogan vs Flair
>Not good

just triggered me m8. Was in the crowd at Superbrawl 9 and I turned into a mark when Hogan teased hulking up for the first time in like 4 years
>>
>>1391783

There's no emphasis in promo work in those indie feds you idiot. And even then if I go and pull up his TNA work I bet I'll find even more embarrassing stuff that would just put you even further into shame than you already are in.

>cartoon characters

Quit parroting your favorite reddit buzzwords you underage child.

>This past Monday says otherwise

Average =/= Great...Just cause someone manages to go a segment without botching doesn't mean they are now untouchable on the mic. You need to actually be good. Even Kane who spent a good portion of his career wearing a mask and not saying anything is much better than these indie shitters.

>You brought up the ratings as if to bring up that the product is in some deep shit crisis

Again more idiocy. Viewership it's the lowest it's been since 1995, that's before you were even born. Which leads to the question of why smarks like to bring up the fact that Roman is so awful cause viewership is low when the company is doing so well everywhere else. Either way you're an idiot for saying viewership doesn't matter. If these bearded indie darlings are such compelling characters why do people tune out when they show up on screen? Could it be perhaps cause they're boring to listen to?
>>
>>1391795
>There's no emphasis in promo work in those indie feds you idiot.

You've literally never watched an indie have you?
>>
>>1391795
Viewership is lower because of there being more mediums to absorb the product than just watching it on TV though. This is particularly true for the domestic audience, and that's why it has effected the domestic audience so much. Don't be such a child.

>Average=/=great
I guess promos where characters have more than one aspect of personality or are meta are too much for your kiddie mind? It's okay that's understandable.

>Buzzwords
>I used examples of exactly why they are cartoon characters
You have no clue what a buzzword is

>No emphasis in promo in indies
Yeah sure...bet you think ECW was like that, too way back. Dumbass.
>>
>>1391515
One of the GOAT in-ring talents.
Just a tiny notch below the true supreme god-tiers I think.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.