[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright buddies, after training some wrestling in the army, I'd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11
File: PAINI.jpg (97 KB, 800x535) Image search: [Google]
PAINI.jpg
97 KB, 800x535
Alright buddies,
after training some wrestling in the army, I'd like to continue doing martial arts but I moved to a new city .However my city doesn't have any mma,bjj or muay thai. I would love to do sambo but I'd have to drive 3 hours to get to a place where I could train it.
In my city there are some different martial arts. I can choose between: aikido, ami jitsu, boxing, fencing,ju-jutsu ,judo ,modern sports karate,shotokan karate(unfortunately), kickboxing,kung fu, shinson hapkido,
silat, canne de combat,taekwan-do. What should I choose ? Right know I feel like I should do Judo but I also want to incorporate some striking martial art. Boxing is the most expensive one of them all. That's why I am not jumping to it immediately.
P.S: Yes I am not a eurofag, but not in france.
>>
>>1390761
If you were any kind of competent wrestler, judo will be the easiest to learn.

Boxing is the most useful for self defense though.
>>
File: 1398621203819.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1398621203819.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>1390761
I'm highschool wrestling coach and judo nidan, judo and wrestling have real good synergy. Same could be said with boxing. I think ultimately shop around and see what gym matches with your learning style and schedule and budget.

Have heard good things of legit silat.

i'm confused by your PS, so you're not from europe, ok
>>
Do you have any particular goals in mind? If you're looking for self defence, you might want something different than if you want to do MMA. Judo could definitely be useful, especially if they also cover the ground work, Boxing is good, but kickboxing is also an option, and would help with kick defence. Also, what kind of "ju-jutsu" place is this? Is there any more information about it?
>>
>>1390769
Sry my fault, I am a eurofag but not living in france.
>>
>>1390767
All the guards you learn in boxing don't work without your gloves on.
If he's going to count on striking he's better off doing kickboxing.
>>
>>1390785
gotcha, can i ask you what kind of wrestling you did in the army?

folk style? greco? free style?
>>
>>1390771 OP here
My goal is to be really good at self defense and it might be good if it goes well with my other sports lifting,swimming, running and cycling. Somehow I love the 'thrill of the fight', forget everyday things and such. So there is some craving to do it, too. In a few months when I don't have late working shifts there will be some weeks where I can try it all for a short time time since I also don't know much about the martial arts I losted. Only thing I know is that the hapkido club is full of bullshit and is a mcdojo. Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>1390787
I trained with 2 mma fighters who also trained greco.
>>
>>1390789
So the type of wrestling you're comfortable with is clinching, no shots really? and maybe some basic tilts on the ground? well again what prior knowledge you have right now clinch work has great synergy with judo. So a lot of the big slams will be developed faster, same with your tilts, you should be able o at least work a few basic turnovers. I'm thinking you're scrambling isn't that developed though huh?
>>
>>1390786
From a pure striking standpoint, the amount of pressure and the footwork that you learn from boxing is by far the most beneficial in a "street fight"

If you are trained and you go into a scuffle looking to be defensive then you are a moron. You can completely shut down and stifle any opportunity your opponent has to be aggressive and they have no recourse. I was a city champion wrestler in high school and most of my real fights ended before the other guy got a chance to throw a real punch because I'd just shoot and spread him out or roll him a couple of times until he no longer wanted to fight.
>>
>>1390787
HIGH LEVEL FOOTSIES
>>
>>1390830
ashi waza/foot sweeping is the jab of judo/wrestling being able to stagger your opponent's balance, or set them up for a new offensive set. Really love how the foot sweep turns into an opening of a leg ride. For a wrestler and judoka getting someone to turtle opens up so many offensive sets.
>>
If it isn't already clear, judo is what you need.
>>
>>1390836
BUT WHAT IF THEY ARE EDUARDO TELLES?
>>
File: folk style neutral.jpg (10 KB, 308x200) Image search: [Google]
folk style neutral.jpg
10 KB, 308x200
>>1391239
turtle guard is interesting because Telles has introduced wrestling bottom game and fused it with BJJ concepts.

In folk style wrestling (the wrestling they teach you 3 ranges of combat )

The first is called neutral where both athletes are standing ......
>>
>>1390828
>From a pure striking standpoint, the amount of pressure and the footwork that you learn from boxing is by far the most beneficial in a "street fight"
>Boxers are more aggressive than Kickboxers because of their footwork
>Kickboxers aren't aggressive
I'm sorry for you if this isn't bait.
>>
>>1390761
>modern sports karate
Literally sounds like Kickboxing but with hammer fists, knife hand strikes, and more blocks.
>>
>>1391265
The 2nd and third range are related
and are from a position called referee position or also called turtle

Eduardo Telles likes to modify the wrestler's ref position for his guard play

So in wrestling you get points for riding the guy and keeping them down, or you can also get points from getting up and countering a ride. There are entire college programs that focus and specialize on both ends of the spectrum of positions, So people like Telles, or if you're from the mid major colleges think the best offensive is a good defense, so they puprosely put their wrestlers on the bottom and then have them run high, fast defensive games to create scrambles.

UFC fighter TJ Dillinshaw has an insane wrestling bottom game.

If you're in a west coast college, or fight above 170lbs because they're so much weight, you counter faster defense from turtle with something called a ride.

So to answer question, what if they try to start a defensive set from turtle/ref's position, well then the play should be called for a wrestling ride, and ride them out

So every position has a counter, every technique, it becomes then which athlete can implement their game better. Also FYI can you stop typing in all CAPS its consider yelling.
>>
>>1390761
Honestly, you shouldn't ask /asp/ for advice, it's just a bunch of meme spouting and biased opinions, not facts.

If you care enough about your martial arts education, you should take the time to compare and contrast the martial arts yourself, starting with what you learn from Wikipedia.

But you've only got one life, you should do them all while you still can.
>>
File: ref posistion top ride.gif (2 MB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
ref posistion top ride.gif
2 MB, 500x354
>>1391276
Some examples of good riding
>>
File: riding ground and pound.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
riding ground and pound.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>1391280
So in MMA context when you can ride good, and control their hips, preventing them from getting up, ideally you can launch your offensive set such as ground or pound, or setting a scramble that leads into a submission , which goes back to my original point that turtle is where a lot of bread and butter techniques for judoka and wrestlers are , combine that with the synergy of ground and pound and its a position where both styles can thrive
>>
File: leg ride.gif (2 MB, 433x259) Image search: [Google]
leg ride.gif
2 MB, 433x259
>>1391285
My favorite ride is probably the leg ride, its interesting right now in UFC's meta game, and maybe its because the current crop of wrestlers are from the 2000 era college scene but a lot of people are using the wrestler's leg ride rather then the traditional BJJ style hooks for their back attacks, of course you'll still see hooks but with the leg ride you'll just see a lot more fighters punish people with GNP
>>
>>1391295
I've rambled on about Damian Maia, but as a judoka and wrestler i respect the hell out of him, he's combined all 3 styles (BJJ, Judo and wrestling) and creates this insane synergistic style that has made him succeed in MMA, For his BJJ offense (which is mainly from back attacks), before he reaches the ground he uses judo's kosto gari (small outside leg trip) and then shifts it into a single leg, he uses the cage walls to help him, but whats neat is when he can't get the takedown, he gets the back, but before he gets any hooks, he uses the walls to do a wrestler's leg ride, its a thing of beauty because I think he has the best GNP in UFC, it doesn't end fights, but instead it helps him shift his take down, to a leg ride, leg ride to the back, OR with each punch he shifts backwards/vice versa.
>>
>>1391303
demian maia is (or should be) the poster boy for using technique to defeat people way more athletically gifted (and younger)
>>
So what did OP pick
>>
Do cane combat
>>
>>1391280
>>1391285
>>1391295
>>1391303
>>1391303
all this gay man hugging
looks like sex
gay sex
>>
>>1396418
It's just the foreplay part of sex, they get into the real down and dirty once they get into the locker rooms.
>>
>>1396472
kek
>>
>>1396418
>>1396472
wrestling is for buttsex
BBJ is for missionary sex
but its all for being faggots
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.