[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BJJ - A BR master ruse?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12
File: 500154372.jpg (73 KB, 814x983) Image search: [Google]
500154372.jpg
73 KB, 814x983
>Casually watch MMA with some friends for a few years
>At Christmas, gf gives me a year of BJJ at local strip mall
>Nervous bit decide to try it anyways
>Learn breakfalls
>Learn different positions
>Learn some escapes and reversals
>Learn some submissions
>Learn about passing guard
>In February, roll for about an hour before and after every class (3x per week)
>Start getting submissions against other white belts in April
>Last night, tri-county NAGA tournament that I signed up for
>Opponent immediately sits down
>Coach yells at me to sit as well
>First try circling around this clown
>Nope.ogg
>Do as coach requested and sit down
>Spend several minutes fighting for grips with opponent
>Ends in a draw, no points
>On the way home, gf asks if that's what I spend ten hours a week doing:
>"Sitting on a padded floor with other men in expensive pajamas playing patticake"

Why /asp/?
>>
>>1390370
>learning breakfalls in bjj
stopped reading there
confirmed troll
>>
Should've went nogi
>>
>>1390370
MUH DICK
>>
>>1390377
There's a 10th Planet school somewhat near me, but it's still an extra 25 minute drive each way, and I have 6 months left where I'm at. Should I cut my losses and jump ship now or just finish out where I'm at first. Honestly kind of depressed about the whole "sport" aspect
>>
>>1390370
That's something she made you do so she should shut the hell up.
>>
>>1390370
i wanna wrestle that bitch in the pussy all night long
>>1390394
amen to that brother
>>
>>1390406
Finish what you started, something might click
>>
>>1390370
How much did the training cost?
>>
>>1390468
I wanna say she spent somewhere around $1000 on the year long contract. We're pretty affluent so the remaining $500 isn't that big a deal but the principle irks me.
>>
yeah I hate that shit, if it was up to me it would be against the rules not to start on your feet
>>
>>1390503
You should keep training, who cares what she thinks.
>>
>>1390601
I'm personally miffed that if I ever wanted to compete, I'd basically have to build my entire repertoire around the butt-scoot boogy
>>
No-gi is the way to go. It requires the least ammount of variables for success, and by that I mean that so long as the person you're competing against has arms, legs, a torso and head then you'll know what to do- whereas a Gi has many techniques that require some type of clothing (t-shirts rip in fights mind you) and some people develope techniques and pathways that rely on using certain gi grips, which may not always work in every situation. Just my opinion, but I also train for amateur mma competitions so I guess I think about it relative to whats practical for me.
>>
>>1390370
Keep training, focus less on the competition buttscoot aspect and just learn the stuff you think isn't retarded, look into no-gi in the meantime
>>
File: 2016-06-17-10-39-19-459901096.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-17-10-39-19-459901096.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>>1390370
You should've got a ticket for something useful, like box, judo, karate, wrestling.
Something that isn't BJJ, in other words.

Also, funny story
>be with friend at gymnastics/street workout/crossfit gym
>we start fucking around, daring each other and stuff
>he drops the "I would beat your ass like your dad" bomb
>ohnoyoudidnt.jpg
>push him
>tries to push me
>"oh you wanna fight?"
>we get up close
>he immediately grabs me by the arm and side and tries to take me down with him on the ground
>shake him off and jump to his side
>stomp on his face
>literally stopped there

Why do BJJ faggots always try to get you down of the floor and do their fancy tricks that have a ~10% (at best) chance of working?
>>
>>1390668
competition is both a blessing and a curse. it keeps the amount of bullshit to a minimum, but there will always be people that play to win by the rules. I practice Judo and it's basically the same, some people are just happy to stiff-arm and grip-fight for 5 minutes.

You can either play their game and become a butt-scooter as well or get a lot better so you can win no matter what gamey tactic they do.
>>
>>1390370
Your coach must think you suck at passing guard, or you have a shitty coach.
>>
>>1390668
Learn to pass guard and wrestle you turbo-nigger.

There's no reason you have to plop to your butt.
>>
>>1390370
what pass(es) are you training or good at?
>>
File: images (19).jpg (5 KB, 204x247) Image search: [Google]
images (19).jpg
5 KB, 204x247
Kyra Gracie is best Gracie
>>
The problem is not the club or the sport. The problem is you can't pass guard. Sounds like competition has shown you what you need to work on.

You need to learn something that is even taught to basketball players which is to fake one direction while you are moving another so that you can take the side.
>>
>>1390376
i go to a 5th degree black belt school and we do breakfalls almost every class.
>>
>>1390802
go ask literally every professional mma fighter why they waste valuable training time learning bjj

explain to them calmly that it doesn't work
>>
File: maxresdefault-2.jpg (69 KB, 1140x838) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-2.jpg
69 KB, 1140x838
>>1391192
>professional mma fighters
>literally hugging on the ground for 15 minutes after weeks/months of preparation for a fight
>because that's a low-risk way to stick to the rules and still get points

Thanks, but I'd rather ask Iron Mike why he didn't choose to learn how to hug on the ground.
>>
>>1391205
You realise that Mike Tyson trains BJJ right?
>>
>>1391187
This
>>
>>1391208
Didn't see him winning the WBF belt by hugging in the ground.
And you can bet your balls that during a street fight, the first thing he'd do would be to box a motherfucker to death, and not take him down into a gogoplata or some shit.
>>
>>1391212
Okay I see you are critical of BJJ so go to a BJJ school and tell them you don't think it works and fight them if they agree to fight.
>>
>>1391217
Yeah, and stomp their heads in.
C'mon, I already heard stories that when judo students came to my local BJJ school, the BJJ students laid down upon the smallest contact in fear of getting thrown around.

I obviously won't fight them on their rules.
>>
You obtained new information.
You are allowed to change your mind.
>>
>>1391222
i just can't understand how after all the advancement in martial arts and fighting knowledge people can still think this -

it really is the equivalent of people that think the earth is flat.

he must do krav maga or some other bullshido
>>
>>1390823
This, basically. And learn footlock along the way. A good takedown-pass-leglock game will defeat a lot of people who pull guard.

Come to think of it, when I still competed more regularly, I caught all but one of guard pulling opponents with a footlock while trying to pass. I often didn't really bother with the passes anymore because I know they'd leave a foot unguarded at some point.
>>
>>1390370
>white belt competition

tell your gf that you don't start looking cool until a much higher level of proficiency, and then choke her out
>>
>>1391846
this.

I'm a blue belt, and to think you know anything after only 6 months - you're just kidding yourself.

I think the 6 month point was when i learned how to tie my belt.

you shouldn't expect to be good at this point, no one is.
>>
>>1390370
>"Sitting on a padded floor with other men in expensive pajamas playing patticake"
Your gf is based
>>
>>1391252
Whatever you say, kid.
Remember what you wrote the next time someone just knocks your ass out instead of politely jumping into your 1000 ground hugging positions.
>>
>>1391252
It's trolls and ignorance which are two things that will always exist.
>>
>>1392130
HA HA HA DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS
>>
>>1390370
Because when bjj reached the normies like you, it was already pussified as fuck.
>I got stomped, kneed and elbowed my very first bjj lesson.
Only the stomp was intentional. But man, bjj was different 16 years ago.
>>
>>1392130
i also do boxing, judo and muay thai, so we'll see about all that

also bjj doesn't recommend going to the ground in a street fight despite what everyone thinks that never went to a class in their life
>>
>>1392406
bjj honestly was pretty bad 16 years ago

watching ufc 1 now, royce looked like a casual purple belt AT BEST.

grappling has advanced eons since then, the practitioners may not be as hardcore and ready to throw down at any moment, but the pure skill level is way higher
>>
>>1392406
>the normies
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>1392577
It is not that grappling has advanced. The techniques themselves, used now are 99.9% the same as those used 10, 20, or 60 years ago. Gif related. An old sambo guy showed me a very close variation of it as a blue belt more than 10 years ago.
But the way they're taught, combinations and follow up are today on another level, this is true.
I was first taught by a judo bb who "awarded" himself a purple belt. By the days I didn't know shit about this more or less common usage in bjj.
I've met excellent judo players on the ground with grappling skill on par with some high level bjj bb. An "old judo black belt" showed me early in my bjj years crucifix tricks in judo that I met later .
Good example of the wheel going round and round: the gogo plata is the most obvious. The twister is another notable one. The Delariva guard is also one. Arm in guillotine finally.
>>1392641
Bjj is mainstream in America (north and south). It is still a niche sport in the rest of the world. Take it easy my friend.
>>
I've only been at it for about a month and we're always told to get to our feet to get out of bad positions, and usually start from our feet in rolls. Idk what the fuck you're learning. What we do is way closer to Judo than I thought it would be, and we also train wrestling. Sambo guys come by sometimes to train with us.

Also a striking gym. Of course, competing at whitebelt level, they might've wanted you to sit down. Idk.
>>
>>1391846
white belt fights have the potential to be the most epic battles of all time, because both people are overzealous and basically going on little more than I THINK I SAW SOMEONE DO THIS ONCE HOOOHAAAA!!!
>>
>>1392977
what's your go to gurd passes?
>>
>>1392571
Yeah, I don't really get this myth. In my BJJ class, we're basically told to get the other person on the ground and maintain control on top of them and then beat them senseless. This is also an MMA gym, though.

We also learn a lot of techniques from Judo and wrestling. It's not about going to the ground on the street, it's just about controlling the other person so that they can't injure you, and winning the fight.
>>
I do work with retards at an autism center on the weekend. This one guy is a lot bigger than me, he's over 6 feet tall and they keep him sedated because he has violent outbursts.

Well he attacked me yesterday, and when shit goes down you revert to what works. Gotta be completely honest, I used zero jiujitsu, he got karated.
it was a completely non-violent restraint and nobody had to hit the ground in order to do it
>>
File: ab4.jpg (24 KB, 287x98) Image search: [Google]
ab4.jpg
24 KB, 287x98
>>
>>1392225
I do suck cocks.
But, for my defense, they're very feminine cocks.

Anyway, it's 2016, you think implying someone's gay is bad anymore? You'll become a 5-minute idol to a bunch of teenagers if anything.
>>
>>1392571
Oh wow, you're training other martial arts that will actually be useful in a fight. Good job.

>training a ground hugging sport
>in which your trainer tells you not to ground hug in an actual real-life encounter outside of the gym
Good for you, boy.
>>
>>1392977
>But the way they're taught, combinations and follow up are today on another level, this is true.
But that's the part that really matter. People talk way to much about techniques, and not how they're set up and applied.

I learned perfectly fine throws in Taekwondo. I learn good polished ones in BJJ now. All of that counts for nothing against a Judoka or a wrestler because of the advanced metagame. They don't just know more throws than me, they know how to see mine coming from a mile away, and they move and adjust a hundred times faster.

It's the same thing with any sport or technique. It's not that Boxers magically hit harder, or know more punches, it's that they read, combine and follow up on them at another level.

Stories about how BJJ used to be hardcore remind me a lot about how Karate and Taekwondo and kung fu used to be 'hardcore'. OK, you trained like masochists, but were you any GOOD?

At my last no-gi lesson I kneed a guy right in the head and nearly knocked him out. The night before, he gave a professional fighter a bloody nose. Not because he's hardcore, but because he's a fucking newbie spaz.

Is it better to have jiu-jitsu where people are getting kneed and stomped, or to have Jiu-Jitsu where you know how to do better?
>>
>>1400182
>training a ground hugging sport

It's a sport, yes, but it's also a martial art. The goal is to learn how to fight effectively. You act like in an actual fight no one ever ends up tackling the other person and they end up "ground hugging". You're a martial arts philistine if you disregard the importance of the ground game or BJJ's mastery of that area. It's one very important part of fighting that can allow you to completely annihilate fighters who are much better than you if they don't train grappling much. The bumrush, takedown and submit strategy is like a snake that strikes at it's prey and then sucks the life out of it. It doesn't matter what kind of fangs or talons the prey has because it gets in too close and constricts the prey's movements so it can't do the snake any harm. It's exactly the same in BJJ and if you end up on the ground and you're not trained you're going to lose the fight. Professional MMA fighters train in BJJ for a reason, it works.
>>
>>
File: tumblr_mr1m3p16la1rhxd58o2_500.gif (997 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mr1m3p16la1rhxd58o2_500.gif
997 KB, 500x315
>>1401493
tl;dr
>>
>>1401540
I didn't know this was a thing, and then I looked up some fights and its fucking stupid
there needs to be some team strategy or some shit, like 2 on 1 with the other 3 acting as a phalanx to box the other 4 out, then with the advantage, everyone pairs off and takes the fight to the ground while the extra man runs around and kicks the guy on the other team until he taps
>>
>>1401540
What teams are these im trying to watch this
>>
>Your dumb pleb gf who knows nothing about BJJ thinks your first white belt fight looks stupid

Yeah bro, you should totally quit because your ignorant gf doesn't think grappling looks as cool as movie karate to her untrained eye. It's bit like the best MMA fighters are BJJ black belts. She's right, a bunch of dudes rolling on the floor is totally GAY!!1!

Maybe if you git gud and actually submit someone she would think it would look cooler.
>>
>>1391222
>grappling with practitioners of an art that is 99% throws
>avoid being thrown

I really don't see the issue here. Judo guys will throw BJJ dudes all over the mat, but in grappling to submission, there's no reason to go standup with them. Why would you grapple on their terms?

In a no-gi situation, or a situation where striking is allowed, you'd see totally different behavior. No-gi would mean a lot less potential to be thrown, and the focus would shift to leg attacks to pull off takedowns, in which case the BJJ fag would have a much better advantage, and much less of a need to flop down and avoid being thrown.

I really don't see how you expect to stomp on anything when you're being single-leg'd.
>>
>>1404649
I disengage in BJJ all the time. I'm coming from a perspective that it should be a martial art first and a sport second, so you aren't going to see me butt scooting around looking for a single leg X or some shit. I stand up constantly, and if someone wants to just sit on their butt and try to keep me at a distance with their legs then that's fine with me, it will be a very boring match because I'm going to just back off and stand there at a safe distance. I will only engage off a takedown. People who immediately sit and throw up a butterfly are fucking cancer
>>
File: 2016-05-31-09-57-19-49396414.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-31-09-57-19-49396414.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
>>1404649
>hey dude
>so... uh
>you know, you train a martial art that is straight forward
>meanwhile, I train one that concentrates on... hugging
>different variations of hugging
>so yeah
>sorry for not having standing offense
>let me lay down instead
>that's totally how a confrontation between two different martial arts would go down
>what? trying out new things and actually improvising with what I know?
>pfffffffft
>who needs that?
>so... if you could just jump into between my legs and put your arm out like this...
>>
>>1405086
I mean, we're already excluding striking. I've always seen rolling/randori as a way to improve your skills in specifically grappling, and not a "da streetz" simulator. Both Judo and BJJ have meta games that aren't all that useful for actual fight situations. That's what you see in style vs style rolls. Weird meta.

What my coach does with the fighters in my gym in our cage looks a lot more realistic than what we do in rolls half the time, because it includes all the striking as well. Of course there's no sitting down or butt scooting in that situation. We actually make fun of that shit frequently even though we train it for gi competitions (and supposedly some competition has altered the rules to minimize butt scooting by only allowing you to pull guard if you've engaged in a takedown).

It's not that I'm saying that flopping on the floor to avoid being thrown is realistic for da streetz. Just that, of fucking course it's going to happen if the rule set allows because that's how you avoid getting your ass propelled into the ground. Judo dude is going to have better takedowns anyway, might as well go straight down before he can put me there because then I can force the "fight" into my terms. But since there's no striking, realism is moot anyway. It's just a skill building exercise.

>>1406277
>tripfag
>>
>>1406610
>tripfag
>nothing else to say

Heeey, did you get cucked by a tripfag?
>>
>>1408789
Not him, but you do display the obnoxious behaviour typically associated with stereotypical moronic tripfags.
>>
File: tumblr_nfqsi3txtt1swlf6ho4_500.gif (1 MB, 442x242) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfqsi3txtt1swlf6ho4_500.gif
1 MB, 442x242
>>1408804
Ayooooo!
Don't you dare to be sour!
Clap your hands...
And FEEL... THE POWER... OF POSITIVITY!!!
>>
>>1391205
Damn youre such a martial arts poser
>>
>>1409540
Please ignore the tripfag. If he had anything relevant to say, he wouldn't have a trip on.
>>
File: American-Ninja 2.jpg (44 KB, 500x326) Image search: [Google]
American-Ninja 2.jpg
44 KB, 500x326
>>1400600
It's called Ju-jutsu you ignoramus
>>
>>1390370
Did you tell her the truth?
Did you say, yes dear.
>>
>>1409540
But I'm not the one training BJJ.
>>
File: 1462739469871.jpg (56 KB, 960x480) Image search: [Google]
1462739469871.jpg
56 KB, 960x480
>>1409704
Oh ur but must be so sore m8.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.